Trainz Sim NYCTA Pics

Strain

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been getting A LOT of help from BStyles over the last few days with texturing in Sketchup and I have started work on my custom NYCTA signals. Originally I was going to supplement Magicland's set, but I decided to make an entirely new pack under my name. Most signal types will be included (ST, GT, combo ST-GT, dwarf, yard, home, marker, automatic, two lens, no bottom green, no bottom yellow, et. al.)

Anywho, here is my first signal, a normal automatic

NYCTASignal.jpg

Enjoy! It feels good to be a content creator officially now!

-A :cool:

That looks great now if you can make a signal like a timer that would be awesome.Something like a signal that only has a red & yellow and clears from red to yellow when it detects a train is within 5feet.It would be a very close call in realism if it gets ran.

Timers don't detect trains, unfortunately. Timers rely on the amount of wheel revolutions between the previous signal and the one ahead. A wheel revolution plus the indicated speed would make the timer ahead change at interval.

That signal looks completely amazing! I'm looking forward to the many more signals you have to make!

Timers don't detect trains, unfortunately. Timers rely on the amount of wheel revolutions between the previous signal and the one ahead. A wheel revolution plus the indicated speed would make the timer ahead change at interval.

That signal looks completely amazing! I'm looking forward to the many more signals you have to make!

Yea thats what I meant.;)

To simulate timers, couldn't you use trigger points, so that the signal would stay at yellow with the S, and then change once the train passes through the trigger. All you have to do is align the timers with the triggers, and there are many things out there that utilize the trigger points to initiate something.

That's really cool.Question will these actually change and act as speed limits for ex. I'm operating and I pass that signal at a random speed and the limit changes in gameplay such as the limit was 45mph and once passed it acts as a signal and limit reducing the game limit to 20mph?

Also will those change if yes how?

KTrainExp suggested the use of triggers for them to change. For example, if you placed this signal 1,000 feet from the actual 2-shot GT (which is at red because the timer hasn't run down yet), the trigger would be say...50 or 100 feet in front of the Yellow-S signal. When your train passes that trigger, the signal will then clear to green and the S will dim.

Now as far as speed limits go, I don't know how to enforce if you're tripped for going too fast. Of course, I will create tunnel-wall-mounted signs that will act as speed limit signs in Trainz. So, I will place a "GT-20" sign a few hundred feet before the yellow S so that way on your HUD the speed limit will change to 20mph. As far as gameplay goes, you can ignore the speed limit, but if you want to do it as a real "motorman", you could adhere to the rules. :P

Edited by Green Eggs n' Pelham

Home Signal (with call-on light at the bottom)

NYCTAHomeSignal.jpg

Signals left to make:

SignalsProgress.jpg

The only note is that signal C can only appear by itself once. The combos left to do for the home signals are: D-D, D-E, D-F, and E-F. Then come the yard signals [G], markers , and caution automatics .

I will keep everyone posted on my progress! :P

Also, HUGE thanks to BStyles for answering all of my silly questions via AIM. You're a good man, bro! :tup:

NOT doing ST/GT combos, sorry

These aren't going to be on the DLS because they only accept 2009 and 2010, and I think that's unfair to those who (like me) have performance issues with those editions, but run 2006 (or 2004) beautifully with no flaws. I will upload them to a separate site and have them as build 2 (which I think is TC iirc), so that anybody from TC all the way to 2010 can enjoy the content. It just seems unfair to me to only distribute to those who have 09/10. Auran is a company and did that for whatever (idiotic) reason. I am not a company, so I'm not concerned with out-dated programs and such. To me, 2006 kicks 2009/10 in the seat of the pants and after all the help I've gotten in the last nine months from the Trainz forums and NYCTF, I think I owe it to everyone who wants to enjoy this content regardless of what version of Trainz they're running.

Anyway, enough rambling....more signals!

Home Signal (No Top Green)

NYCTANoTopGreen.jpg

Home Signal (No Green at all)

NYCTADoubleNoGreen.jpg

I will also be making the horizontal ceiling-mounted signals as well, like these ones:

Normal Overhead

OverheadNormal.jpg

Caution Overhead

OverheadCaution.jpg

Enjoy!

This is basically a conjoined project between ExpressLine3Train over on the Auran forums, Green Eggs 'n Pelham, and myself. Basically we're doing all of the following:

-EL Stations(Me. I have a theory, but until that theory checks out these will be splines)

-Subway Tunnels and Stations(ExpressLine3Train)

-Signals(Green Eggs 'n Pelham)

-Elevated Trackage(ExpressLine3Train)

That's actually a really good idea. I'm not good with the triggers in Trainz, but I have some friends who could help me. Thanks a bunch KTrain! :tup::tup:

No problem! We should be thanking you for your contributions to the Trainz community! Only problem I see with using triggers as signals is that they wouldn't technically be signals, but animated objects. But maybe some experimentation and coding could change that!

By the way, sorry if this was answered before, but will there be left side signals as well? Magicland's old set never featured left sided signals (although some were named that). They would be great to have in stations where the platform exists on the right side.

And as for the speed limit things, maybe you could add speed limit signs onto the construction pack once the tunnels are done and make them the correct length and height which suits the tunnel!

I will be doing various signs from the subway system as well. Also, in reference to my last post about signal progress---there is no "C-C" configuration (two dwarf signals on top of each other). I misread the website which said "only C can appear by itself" which I took to mean two separate heads. So, I took down the picture. The dwarf signal will be in my package--it is generally only used for yard interlockings at all Subway yards except for Fresh Pond & East NY where the switches are still hand-thrown (IIRC---correct me if I'm wrong).

@KTrainExp: I believe my overhead signals will solve that problem of platforms on the right side. There will be TWO variations of my normal home signal, one for right hand diverges and one for left hand diverges (think of an X crossover, where the normal home would control the express track [right hand diverge] and the left home would control the local track [left hand diverge]).

With the help of BStyles, one of my signals has been uploaded into Trainz. B is my beta-tester right now to make sure that things are looking good and working properly. Yes, I did make these signals myself but I would like to stress that BStyles has been a very influential part of the process. So, I would like to take this opportunity to give him his due credit. Remember guys, this is just a beta test of what they look like in-game. The signals/signs pack is still some time away from being released. I don't know how many signs will be included, but by my rough count, there will be 17 signals available.

Signals in-game (thanks again BStyles for this!)

SignalinTrainz.png

Enjoy and give thanks! I am super stoked about this project! :P