Select Bus Service Debuts on 1st/2nd Avenues

LRG

Not necessarily "news" anymore, but I'll still post:

Manhattan's busiest bus route has received its Select Bus Service (SBS) makeover resulting in shortened travel times along First and Second Avenues. The speedier bus service is facilitated by a more convenient method of fare payment, ease of entry and exit provided by a fleet of new, low-floor buses with three doors and, coming next month, the introduction of bus lane enforcement cameras to catch errant motorists when they block the bus.

Supported jointly by MTA New York City Transit, the New York City Department of Transportation and the New York City Police Department, Select Bus Service is New York City's version of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) --- an increased-speed, high-performance bus system incorporating off-board fare collection, fewer stops, high-capacity low-floor articulated buses, a branded, easily identifiable service and attractive stations, including a new off-street terminal at South Ferry. Similar service changes have already brought a noticeable improvement in speed, reliability and ridership along the SBS Bx12 on Fordham Road in the Bronx.

SBS M15 service relies heavily on dedicated bus lanes. NYC Transit and the NYC DOT continue to work closely with the NYPD to keep other traffic from using the special lanes which are clearly identified with red terracotta paint and overhead highway-type signs alerting motorists that the lane is off limits. Starting in November, lane enforcement will be supplemented by video cameras, which will record bus lane violations. Last June, the State Legislature passed a bill allowing the NYC DOT and the MTA to use cameras as tools to enforce bus lane traffic regulations on designated SBS routes.

"Partnering with the New York City Department of Transportation and the New York City Police Department, bringing Select Bus Service to our busiest corridors is already having tangible results," MTA Chairman and CEO Jay H. Walder said. "SBS in the Bronx on the Bx12 has improved bus speeds by 20% and increased ridership by 10%. Now with cameras and more lane enforcement in the fold, we will be able to bring even faster and more reliable service to our customers along the M15."

"For high-volume routes, Select Bus Service truly is the bus service of the future and it is here now," said NYC Transit President Thomas Prendergast. "We can move more customers more quickly and with the help of our partners at City DOT and the NYPD, buses carrying 80 or more riders are not slowed down by a SUV with only one person on board. Our ability to use cameras to identify bus lane interlopers will be instrumental in giving buses the free movement they need to operate efficiently."

Serving the East Side of Manhattan between E. 126th Street and South Ferry, the M15 carries more than 53,000 riders each day. SBS M15 service replaces the M15 limited, providing a significant upgrade in customers' travel experience. SBS operates over a longer span of time than the M15 Limited. Riders pay their fares prior to boarding the bus, making it possible to enter through any of the three doors eliminating the jam that often occurs at the farebox. Rather than stopping every other block, SBS M15 buses stop approximately every half-mile, only at major intersections, connecting with subway lines and crosstown buses.

As with the SBS Bx12, SBS M15 buses are distinguished by their lively graphics and the flashing blue lights above the windshield of each bus.

"Our experience in the Bronx demonstrates that SBS works," noted Joseph Smith, NYC Transit SVP of the Department of Buses. "Not only does SBS increase bus speeds and efficiency, it also boosts ridership--attracting new riders to what previously had been a slow and undependable service."

Observation of the M15 Limited showed that buses spent more than 20% of their travel time idling in bus stops while customers get on and off. The move to low-floor buses cut down on the time it takes riders to enter and leave buses. Fast, all-door boarding is permitted by the use of proof-of-payment fare payment. Fares are checked randomly by members of NYC Transit's Department of Security who regularly patrol SBS routes.

Link: http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=111

Once the general ridership becomes accustomed to the new system, SBS will really shine. It just needs good advertisement (I was thinking, clear, easily noticable notices at the bus stops that clearly seperate local from SBS, and signs at the fare machines that clearly tell you that you have to pay beforehand. [Yesterday a lot of people just passed right by the fare machines to get on the M15 SBS.] The employees going around explaining the payment system and helping people definitely need to stock around for a while. Since this isn't the (MTA)'s fitst try, they have more experience and hopefully a clear do/don't list.

Fox 5 says it'll replace the M15 and they showed a live video of a non SBS bus lol.

But they got the point across, wouldn't expect them to be 100% accurate.

This kinda surprised me because I thought it was gonna happen in 2011. I also didn't know those Green Light Extenders/Changers weren't in use yet.

I STRONGLY disagree!! Especially because the stops are so spread apart, I think this may run smoother that the Bx12SBS, which is also a winner in my book.

He only saying that,because SBS bus stops is taking away his parking spot where he live.

I STRONGLY disagree!! Especially because the stops are so spread apart, I think this may run smoother that the Bx12SBS, which is also a winner in my book.

You say that there because your nice and cozy in your house watching TV, I have to circle the F'n block 9000 times looking for a parking spot, where this greedy MTA has to turn residential parking into there transit hub for this sbs bus. The limited stoped at 105-106 & 1st. There was absolutley no reason to install sbs machines the next block over. You can still use your metro card on the bus right? so they just should have left 106st a local and sbs stop. They even installed an sbs machine at 116 & 1st. for what???? to go 1 stop to 125 and get off. for that you take the local wich will most likely go straight to 125 anyway because no one is waiting at these bus stops.

Another thing, this morning when I left to go to work, this sbs bus blew past me on 1st ave heading north, I followed him, he was going 65 mph, is this guy sick in the head? I was so close to going to 126 and reporting his ass flying down my block like a missile but I gotta go to work.

Waste of my money, and my aggrivation.

Though SBS can have its benefits, I feel that it along with some limited routes are SERVICE CUTS. Because for many of the routes, they have so many limiteds and not enough locals and since the SBS stations (some of them are more spaced out), people will have to walk farther. SBS and limited bus service isn't intended to help the passenger, and it some ways it does. For some, they have a faster trip and more reliable service. At the same time, the mta doesn't implement things such as SBS and limited stop service for the passenger but to cut down on costs. Shorter travel times, quicker rides, fewer stops=less fuel, less maintenance and lower labor costs.

You say that there because your nice and cozy in your house watching TV, I have to circle the F'n block 9000 times looking for a parking spot, where this greedy MTA has to turn residential parking into there transit hub for this sbs bus. The limited stoped at 105-106 & 1st. There was absolutley no reason to install sbs machines the next block over. You can still use your metro card on the bus right? so they just should have left 106st a local and sbs stop. They even installed an sbs machine at 116 & 1st. for what???? to go 1 stop to 125 and get off. for that you take the local wich will most likely go straight to 125 anyway because no one is waiting at these bus stops.

Another thing, this morning when I left to go to work, this sbs bus blew past me on 1st ave heading north, I followed him, he was going 65 mph, is this guy sick in the head? I was so close to going to 126 and reporting his ass flying down my block like a missile but I gotta go to work.

Dude, you can't use your MetroCard on the +SBS-wrapped buses because that defeats the purpose of the +SBS concept. I know you don't like the idea of it but I feel you're only against the idea because you're losing parking space. News flash: that's the cost of having a car, especially in a city like this, and especially in the borough that you live in; it's basically a luxury. I hate to say it but you're not entitled to parking space. If you find a spot, whoopde doo, you got lucky but if you're going to hold a grudge for ever and ever because the M15 is forcing you to lose your precious parking space on First Avenue then you're accumulating unneeded stress. Just let it go already it's not the end of the world.

Well, I guess I can see where you are coming from. I don't really have any of those problems. As far as using your metrocard on the bus.... Uh... No! That's the whole point of SBS. Pay at the curb, then board. Wow, he was doing 65?? It's a damn shame I wasn't on that bus! Reporting him wouldn't have done any good either. It's a bus lane! If he was driving safe then he wasn't doing anything wrong. But the last time I checked, the LFSA couldn't even do 65mph. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

At the same time, the mta doesn't implement things such as SBS and limited stop service for the passenger but to cut down on costs. Shorter travel times, quicker rides, fewer stops=less fuel, less maintenance and lower labor costs.

I could have sworn the SBS was created for the direct benefit of the passengers above all else.......

Though SBS can have its benefits, I feel that it along with some limited routes are SERVICE CUTS. Because for many of the routes, they have so many limiteds and not enough locals and since the SBS stations (some of them are more spaced out), people will have to walk farther. SBS and limited bus service isn't intended to help the passenger, and it some ways it does. For some, they have a faster trip and more reliable service. At the same time, the mta doesn't implement things such as SBS and limited stop service for the passenger but to cut down on costs. Shorter travel times, quicker rides, fewer stops=less fuel, less maintenance and lower labor costs.

I guess that could be the case but don't forget little things like the extended hours, which equals more runs which equals more money, so it isn't a total service cut. I think this is being done primarily for efficiency and the good of the passengers. Any money savings are just a bonus. :cool:

I could have sworn the SBS was created for the direct benefit of the passengers above all else.......

I should have rephrased. SBS and BRT, its purpose is to benefit the passengers. I should have said that the MTA often times does things for cost savings and if it benefits the passenger, then hey its good. BTW. I am pro-sbs as I dont have a car yet and I ride the M15 often as a college student but I can see the negatives as someone speaking from a non-bus/rail buff.

I guess that could be the case but don't forget little things like the extended hours, which equals more runs which equals more money, so it isn't a total service cut. I think this is being done primarily for efficiency and the good of the passengers. Any money savings are just a bonus. :cool:

True. And to add to my previous post. It is to benefit the passengers, but just saying, for someone who relies more on a local (not me but others), they may see this faster and frequent SBS service and may see their local service as spotty and less reliable (even though that may not be the case).

Wow, he was doing 65?? It's a damn shame I wasn't on that bus! Reporting him wouldn't have done any good either. It's a bus lane! If he was driving safe then he wasn't doing anything wrong. But the last time I checked, the LFSA couldn't even do 65mph. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

I believe your right. In september, I was boarding an LFSA and the tires (at least the front) had a max speed of 55 mph (I doubt that's the engine's max speed but who knos). Two: I'm not exactly good with links but according to the Altoona Bus test, it takes 52 seconds to reach a speed of 50 mph, so the driver alone would have to have enough room, time and space to obtain just 50 let alone 65 on a city street. http://146.186.225.57/buses/363. The bus probably has a top speed of 55 or so

I believe your right. In september, I was boarding an LFSA and the tires (at least the front) had a max speed of 55 mph (I doubt that's the engine's max speed but who knos). Two: I'm not exactly good with links but according to the Altoona Bus test, it takes 52 seconds to reach a speed of 50 mph, so the driver alone would have to have enough room, time and space to obtain just 50 let alone 65 on a city street. http://146.186.225.57/buses/363. The bus probably has a top speed of 55 or so

Unlike the New Flyer artics, which are mostly capped at 40 mph.

Interesting though is that there is such a big gap in stops especially in Lower Manhattan and Chinatown (essentially one Chinatown station and one Lower East Side station).

Unlike the New Flyer artics, which are mostly capped at 40 mph.

Interesting though is that there is such a big gap in stops especially in Lower Manhattan and Chinatown (essentially one Chinatown station and one Lower East Side station).

Its to prevent the buses from getting stopped by the signals I believe, the way the signal system is set up here now is really odd.

Dude, you can't use your MetroCard on the +SBS-wrapped buses because that defeats the purpose of the +SBS concept. I know you don't like the idea of it but I feel you're only against the idea because you're losing parking space. News flash: that's the cost of having a car, especially in a city like this, and especially in the borough that you live in; it's basically a luxury. I hate to say it but you're not entitled to parking space. If you find a spot, whoopde doo, you got lucky but if you're going to hold a grudge for ever and ever because the M15 is forcing you to lose your precious parking space on First Avenue then you're accumulating unneeded stress. Just let it go already it's not the end of the world.

You can't really say it's a luxury. Not everybody can use the bus for work and play, they need their car. Screwing over people to possibly make the M15 run a bit faster is a little f'ed up. I would be pissed too if I got put in the same position Dan is in.

The city needs to do more on the parking issue. Trying to force everybody onto mass transit is a good idea,but there are some people who's lifestyles don't fit in that footprint and they shouldn't be penalized because of it.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Thats the perfect strap hanger attitude. Your too young that the problem.

Well, I guess I can see where you are coming from. I don't really have any of those problems. As far as using your metrocard on the bus.... Uh... No! That's the whole point of SBS. Pay at the curb, then board. Wow, he was doing 65?? It's a damn shame I wasn't on that bus! Reporting him wouldn't have done any good either. It's a bus lane! If he was driving safe then he wasn't doing anything wrong. But the last time I checked, the LFSA couldn't even do 65mph. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

Yea I followed him from 109 to 124st right before I made the left for the tri-boro. He was doing 55-65 mph flying. And its a bus lane so what? they have their own rules? Last I rememberd the speed limit was 30 mph on a city street. Next time I'm going to be a big a**hole and report, because if I can get nailed driving like a lunatic down a city street why shouldn't the 'bus driver' whose supposed to be all about safety. these guys don't have a special pass.

Well, I rode SBS today. The ride was ok. Despite the time being before 10 am, there were cars/trucks parked or idling in the bus lane on 2 Av and I saw little enforcement (From 68 St to South Ferry). People didn't seem to have a clue that they had to pay before they boarded though there was an mta employee on-site to guide them, I know New Yorkers can be well, under a rock sometimes, there was advertising prior, so I don't know why some people don't know that they had to pay before boarding. The terminal at South Ferry is still a work in progress, saw them working on it today. In regards to what we've been discussing about speeding incident. The bus, just from the ride, seem ungoverned (and at 1st av from 59 st to 125 on it can be fast, though I rode the bus southbound). I got a chance to look at the Novabus speedometer and goes up to 75 but in the middle, right below the numbers, it had in a larger font, "60 mph", so thats probably what it tops out it. So, who knows.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I rode it up 1 Av from Grand St to 23 St and there was stoll vehicles parked in the bus lane, so the driver used the next lane. Still managed to do about 40.

Unlike the New Flyer artics, which are mostly capped at 40 mph....
...The bus, just from the ride, seem ungoverned (and at 1st av from 59 st to 125 on it can be fast, though I rode the bus southbound). I got a chance to look at the Novabus speedometer and goes up to 75 but in the middle, right below the numbers, it had in a larger font, "60 mph", so thats probably what it tops out it. So, who knows.

Aren't all buses that aren't a MCI capped at 40? Although it can go faster going downhill, but I mean on a level street

Complete waste of money, complete waste of time.

I agree 100%. They didnt fixed their mistakes in Bx12 SBS. Im sure they are not making money on the both SBS routes for the next couple of years.

Aren't all buses that aren't a MCI capped at 40? Although it can go faster going downhill, but I mean on a level street

No, Staten Island fleet is not even capped at 40.... similar to Long Island Bus; they run greater then 40 to as high as 55-60.

I've ridden on the M15 SBS a few times since Sunday and right now the jury is out. It's brand new for this part of the world but I think there was more confusion with the SBS here than there was with the Bx12 SBS when that started. The bus rides I was on were half fast/half slow. Slow because of traffic and the passengers who were lost and fast when traffic wasn't so bad. I was amazed at how so many of them didn't know about the SBS coming to the M15 when posters are all over buses and even the subway about this service coming, but then again, New Yorkers don't like to read nowadays so I shouldn't have been shocked lol.

There are 3 things that need to change with the service and it all has to do with the fare. One, when you use the machine, instead of instantly putting the MetroCard in the machine, you have to press the start button so that you can put the card in and if you're in a rush, you can easily overlook that and cause a delay of at least a few seconds and seconds count when it comes to traveling. Second, I was told from the (MTA) workers that the receipt from the machine is only good for an hour. What if I'm going from Houston St or South Ferry to 116th St.? Depending on traffic, I might be on that bus for well over an hour. If the Fare Inspectors get on at 96th St and see that it's been over an hour, I could be pulled off the bus even if I paid the fare and that's not right at all. That has got to be fixed ASAP, unless the information I got is wrong. Also, the buses need to come more frequently than they do or change the schedule. On Sunday, I waited over 10 mins for the bus at 125th St and 2nd and when I got off at 57th and 2nd, a couple mins later, another SBS flew into the stop. The same thing happened yesterday, except both buses came at the same time. That will help make the bus look useless if this keeps on happening.

The real verdict for this bus will be a month from now, when riders should be used to this service. It will be then that I will know if it's worth a damn. It could be with people knowing how the use the machines properly and the bus drivers driving the hell out of the buses when traffic permits but right now, I'm right in the middle with this.

As i said SBS is worth the shot but what i don't understand (I know about the NIMBY's)why light rail mainly in the outerboros was not also created? This is a huge test/gamble by the (MTA) with the M15 and need to wait 6 months from now as Princelex below said to see if it's a success or not?

I've ridden on the M15 SBS a few times since Sunday and right now the jury is out. It's brand new for this part of the world but I think there was more confusion with the SBS here than there was with the Bx12 SBS when that started. The bus rides I was on were half fast/half slow. Slow because of traffic and the passengers who were lost and fast when traffic wasn't so bad. I was amazed at how so many of them didn't know about the SBS coming to the M15 when posters are all over buses and even the subway about this service coming, but then again, New Yorkers don't like to read nowadays so I shouldn't have been shocked lol.

There are 3 things that need to change with the service and it all has to do with the fare. One, when you use the machine, instead of instantly putting the MetroCard in the machine, you have to press the start button so that you can put the card in and if you're in a rush, you can easily overlook that and cause a delay of at least a few seconds and seconds count when it comes to traveling. Second, I was told from the (MTA) workers that the receipt from the machine is only good for an hour. What if I'm going from Houston St or South Ferry to 116th St.? Depending on traffic, I might be on that bus for well over an hour. If the Fare Inspectors get on at 96th St and see that it's been over an hour, I could be pulled off the bus even if I paid the fare and that's not right at all. That has got to be fixed ASAP, unless the information I got is wrong. Also, the buses need to come more frequently than they do or change the schedule. On Sunday, I waited over 10 mins for the bus at 125th St and 2nd and when I got off at 57th and 2nd, a couple mins later, another SBS flew into the stop. The same thing happened yesterday, except both buses came at the same time. That will help make the bus look useless if this keeps on happening.

The real verdict for this bus will be a month from now, when riders should be used to this service. It will be then that I will know if it's worth a damn. It could be with people knowing how the use the machines properly and the bus drivers driving the hell out of the buses when traffic permits but right now, I'm right in the middle with this.

Archived