Select Bus Service Debuts on 1st/2nd Avenues

LRG

Well, I rode SBS today. The ride was ok. Despite the time being before 10 am, there were cars/trucks parked or idling in the bus lane on 2 Av and I saw little enforcement (From 68 St to South Ferry). People didn't seem to have a clue that they had to pay before they boarded though there was an mta employee on-site to guide them, I know New Yorkers can be well, under a rock sometimes, there was advertising prior, so I don't know why some people don't know that they had to pay before boarding. The terminal at South Ferry is still a work in progress, saw them working on it today. In regards to what we've been discussing about speeding incident. The bus, just from the ride, seem ungoverned (and at 1st av from 59 st to 125 on it can be fast, though I rode the bus southbound). I got a chance to look at the Novabus speedometer and goes up to 75 but in the middle, right below the numbers, it had in a larger font, "60 mph", so thats probably what it tops out it. So, who knows.

Good thing you looked at that speedo. I was riding along side this bus and I looked at my guage and my needle was pointed at 65. Imagine a young kid running in front of the street or some car comes out of its spot without looking and that bus goes swerving out of control. These M15 guys have a heavy right foot.

Yea I followed him from 109 to 124st right before I made the left for the tri-boro. He was doing 55-65 mph flying. And its a bus lane so what? they have their own rules? Last I rememberd the speed limit was 30 mph on a city street. Next time I'm going to be a big a**hole and report, because if I can get nailed driving like a lunatic down a city street why shouldn't the 'bus driver' whose supposed to be all about safety. these guys don't have a special pass.

It's not really about breaking the rules, but the city speed limit being 30 is stupid. That was so 1970's! That's why police don't really enfore the limit (with the exception of the highways). If everyone did 30mph, NYC would be a parking lot even worse than it is now. Who does 30 in NYC? I've never known for anyone other than tourists to do 30mph. I know I sure as hell don't. And from the sound of it neither do you!!:o SBS is a form of Bus Rapid Transit. There is nothing "Rapid" about 30mph......

Ha ha ha ha ha. Thats the perfect strap hanger attitude. Your too young that the problem.

Sorry you see it a different way but the +SBS is in place to serve the majority (the daily amount of passengers who use the route) and unfortunately you fall under a different umbrella since the lanes took the parking space away from you. I understand your frustration so don't hold anything against me but you and I should already know that the MTA is already a half-assed transit organization as it is.

It's not really about breaking the rules, but the city speed limit being 30 is stupid. That was so 1970's! That's why police don't really enfore the limit (with the exception of the highways). If everyone did 30mph, NYC would be a parking lot even worse than it is now. Who does 30 in NYC? I've never known for anyone other than tourists to do 30mph. I know I sure as hell don't. And from the sound of it neither do you!!:o SBS is a form of Bus Rapid Transit. There is nothing "Rapid" about 30mph......

Agreed. Hell the NY State Thruway is 65mph. I am not saying 2nd Ave in Manhattan or anywhere in NYC, should that speed, but i think the speed limit should around 40 mph citywide. Especially all vechiles now have safer ways to slow and stop more quickly.

It's not really about breaking the rules, but the city speed limit being 30 is stupid. That was so 1970's! That's why police don't really enfore the limit (with the exception of the highways). If everyone did 30mph, NYC would be a parking lot even worse than it is now. Who does 30 in NYC? I've never known for anyone other than tourists to do 30mph. I know I sure as hell don't. And from the sound of it neither do you!!:) SBS is a form of Bus Rapid Transit. There is nothing "Rapid" about 30mph......

Tell that to a cop that the speed limit is stupid and this aint' 1970 and I guarantee he'll be coming back with some yellow papers. Listen, I do this for a living I know how to play the game out there on the road. But what I'm trying to let you understand is 65 mph is not a normal thing on a city street especially for a city bus. Its not about being rapid, that shit was pure careless-ness.

Its 2 less stops for me (Staton St & St. Marks Pl was removed) so I would say it gets me to work about 5 minutes quicker.

Good thing you looked at that speedo. I was riding along side this bus and I looked at my guage and my needle was pointed at 65. Imagine a young kid running in front of the street or some car comes out of its spot without looking and that bus goes swerving out of control. These M15 guys have a heavy right foot.

So what you're saying is that you followed a speeding bus with your speeding car. Not to sound rude or anything but if the cops was out there when you was doing that, you would've gotten stopped before the bus would.

Its 2 less stops for me (Staton St & St. Marks Pl was removed) so I would say it gets me to work about 5 minutes quicker.

So what you're saying is that you followed a speeding bus with your speeding car. Not to sound rude or anything but if the cops was out there when you was doing that, you would've gotten stopped before the bus would.

Thats exactly my point. I would have gotten stoped before the bus would have so what gives the bus driver the right to be doing that speed. And I'm a regular car, he's driving a city vehicle with passengers lives, do you understand my point?

The buses do 30 on a good stretch of road. The subway trains go 30 if the operator's feeling frisky. The LIRR trains go 30... feet per second these days, I thought LIRR T/Os were known for hauling ass.

Perhaps only a bus lane WITHOUT SBS would work, if those time constraints on the receipts are true. Why not just wait for a normal M15?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Thats exactly my point. I would have gotten stoped before the bus would have so what gives the bus driver the right to be doing that speed. And I'm a regular car, he's driving a city vehicle with passengers lives, do you understand my point?

I do but you didn't have to follow him if he was speeding.

What does everybody think of this idea to make it so that the local and +SBS+ have the same fare-collection system?

For customers who paid before boarding, but see a local coming: Riders would hand the bus driver the receipt and the bus driver would press a button (Is there a seperate button for farebeat and bypass, or is it the same?) and let them on.

For customers who see an +SBS+ coming, but don't have time to buy a ticket: Riders would be able to dip their MetroCard in and the farebox would be programmed to spit out a receipt, similar to the machine.

Both of these ways would prevent people from waiting until the bus comes to decide on their method of payment (causing a line to form as an +SBS+ bus arrives), as they would have both options available.

Not sure where to put this, but I see ads are being put on the SBS buses (1240 and a 12XX)

I seen that as well while going to work earlier

What does everybody think of this idea to make it so that the local and +SBS+ have the same fare-collection system?

For customers who paid before boarding, but see a local coming: Riders would hand the bus driver the receipt and the bus driver would press a button (Is there a seperate button for farebeat and bypass, or is it the same?) and let them on.

For customers who see an +SBS+ coming, but don't have time to buy a ticket: Riders would be able to dip their MetroCard in and the farebox would be programmed to spit out a receipt, similar to the machine.

Both of these ways would prevent people from waiting until the bus comes to decide on their method of payment (causing a line to form as an +SBS+ bus arrives), as they would have both options available.

The whole pont was to get rid of paying on the bus. It slows the bus up. They split the bus stops up to keep the people for the local buses apart from the SBS people

I seen that as well while going to work earlier

The whole pont was to get rid of paying on the bus. It slows the bus up. They split the bus stops up to keep the people for the local buses apart from the SBS people

Ditto.

It has now come to my attention that the M15 Local will NOW accept SBS receipts. THANK GOD! I have heard countless people complaining about that, and seeing huge crowds at lines, ESPECIALLY at 28th and 2nd. GOOD LORD!

I guess that solves most of the problem (there is one fare-payment system for both types of routes).

I guess the only real advantage of paying upon boarding is that don't miss the bus fumbing for a MetroCard to get the ticket. I still think it still couldn't hurt to have it programmed into the farebox, though.

You can't really say it's a luxury. Not everybody can use the bus for work and play, they need their car. Screwing over people to possibly make the M15 run a bit faster is a little f'ed up. I would be pissed too if I got put in the same position Dan is in.

The city needs to do more on the parking issue. Trying to force everybody onto mass transit is a good idea,but there are some people who's lifestyles don't fit in that footprint and they shouldn't be penalized because of it.

I agree with you about the parking situation in the City....try find a parking spot in Downtown Brooklyn it will take days to find one spot, with all these ''no standing zone''doesn't help it ether and u are force to park in the parking lot and they're a rip off.

Ditto.

It has now come to my attention that the M15 Local will NOW accept SBS receipts. THANK GOD! I have heard countless people complaining about that, and seeing huge crowds at lines, ESPECIALLY at 28th and 2nd. GOOD LORD!

That's a good thing but I wonder, will they do the same thing with the Bx12 SGS?

• 2 weeks later...

Today, around 10:36, I took M15 SBS from Wall St Station.

When SBS arrive at 14th St, there was adult and teenager tried to paid on bus, and B/O said to paid at bus stop in machine.

Family with one got receipt, but 2 children did not.

When bus arrived at 24th St Station, bunches of fare inspector boarded the bus. (About 8 inspectors) and they kick off family and one elderly woman.

It was so crazy.

When I was carrying M15 SBS on (1)(S) Bus enroute to help mostly tourist via BPC Shuttle or M15 Local to Seaport, one lady who lives in E. Harlem ask me for brochure.

That's a good thing but I wonder, will they do the same thing with the Bx12 SGS?

They already have. Its so funny when you see people entering the rear doors of a local (especially on a 5700 series New Flyer) and they are thinking this is +SBS+, they go back out and through the front! LOL! Saw this for myself when I was on 5721 on the Bx12 Local, believe it or not, that was one hell of a ride.

I've ridden the M15 SBS a few times and I can say, going uprown, it's fast enough to rival a local train going the same direction. On 2nd avenue on the other hand, It'd be alot faster if the cops would ticket everyone parked or idling in the bus lane. And when it comes to paying, i've seen many confused people. I think a blind person can see the PRESS START above the button. And right under that, there are directions on how to use it. But, i do think within a month or two, there should'nt be that many more poblems regarding the fare payment.

I also think traffic agent should also give M15 SBS prioty.

I had another idea.

Since sometimes Traffic Agent ride the bus to give ticket to car, maybe he could help out fare inspectors.

Few day ago, I did saw NYPD gaving ticket to one of delivery truck by 24-hour bus lane.

Are bus drivers doing the same thing as the BX12 Drivers....having people run up to the bus then the driver tell'em to get off and pay and this whole time the bus is waiting for people to pay and people just continue to run up to the bus from out of nowhere causing the same dwell times if they took fare-on board???? It was so bad one time at Fordam Plaza that we were dwelled in the stop for close to 10 mins NO LIE!

I HATE THAT ABOUT SBS....I understand bus driver are just being courteous, but damn does that slow things down...

Archived