Updates to nycsubway.org track plans coming soon!

Jamaica Local

Hi all!

I just wanted to let everyone know that my boyfriend Anthony is a new contributor to the NYC Subway Resource Site and he has been given permission by Peter Dougherty to update the maps currently found under the "Track Maps" section. Since replacing all of the maps would be redundant and a waste of time, he is only replacing the pages that are affected by the elimination of the (Mx)(V)(W), the Queens Blvd truncation of the (G), the new (M), the Culver viaduct rehabilitation plans, and the Brighton line/Rockaways line platform refurbishments. Also, in the old track plans, it still shows the old configuration of the Canarsie Yard leads and Essex St having four tracks. All of this will be updated and submitted within the next two weeks.

I hope everyone looks forward to this, and he feels great to be giving back to the railfan community! :tup:

Will the layout at 74th St (7) be updated as well?

Yes. He has the blank track maps that Peter sent him from the 2010 Edition of "Tracks of the NYC Subway". The Brighton line's pre-refurbishment pages will not be replaced--just the new configuration added. Is there anything else that you guys think should be included in the maps? He has tried to keep up with the MTA's refurbishment changes--his info is accurate as of the Oct. 2010 map.

Btw, per Peter's request, he is not allowed to include track numbers, signal information, or anything like that, so please leave those out of your requests!

speaking of nycsubway.org ive been trying to contact them for weeks now aobut submitting photos, whoever runs that site must not look at their email or their contact form is broken

Count me in as well. I am awaiting feedback. Until I do, the map releases are going to be delayed. Besides, I doubt there is anywhere else that he can publish them.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, it seems as though nycsubway.org is back up and running, so that means that the updated maps project is back on!

I saw on the subway site that there were new yard leads installed for the MOW 36th St Yard in Brooklyn. Does that affect the current maps?

I would appreciate some feedback from anyone on the site about any changes--I know there are some changes coming in the 2011 edition of Peter Dougherty's book. The station colors are all done, all we need now is the station names/route markers. Those should be done by the end of the week.

Keep a look out for them, and thanks again for all of the support! :cool:

Still wondering if he's ever going to do that color foldup edition he used to say he was planning.

I've priced it out and the costs would be absolutely astronomical, not to mention it would require an insane amount of work to produce. Sorry.

On a more positive note, the 2011 edition will be out in early December and I'm about to make an announcement here regarding the cover photo as soon as I contact the winner.

Hey, thanks for the updates you've been doing. I was looking through some of the updated maps and just thought I'd let you know that there's a few errors on the Queens 1 track map. West of 33rd St. where the middle track connects to both outer tracks, the second switch going from the middle track to the Flushing-bound track (in black) no longer exists. It was removed in early 2008. Also, the switches around 69th St. were all removed around the same time and replaced with switches in the 74th St. vicinity. South of the station, there is a switch from the center track to the Flushing-bound track and then another to the Flushing-bound track north of that. North of 74th St. you have switches from both outer tracks back to the center track.

Also, there is a double-crossover north of Canarsie - Rockaway Parkway where in the map there is currently only a Y-crossover. Also, the middle tracks at 2nd Ave. (F) are no longer in use. Hope this helps.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am putting the finishing touches on the track maps. I had to verify some information with Peter Dougherty about some switches on the Crosstown line. I may or may not get the E 180 St updates submitted because neither Peter nor I have a hold of that information yet.

Should be up by Friday---Sunday at the LATEST!

Guest lance25

I'm sure there still in use for some short turns at either Whitehall St or 2 Av. But seriously, the guy missed a few bullets and lines, big deal. It's not the end of the world. The track maps aren't even supposed to be used to indicate actual service anyway; that's what the service map on the front page is for.

Updates to the track maps are not modifications of the original maps---these are all brand new maps given to me, accurate as of the 2010 publication of "Tracks of the NYC Subway", so all of the corrections mentioned in other posts are already included.

Trying not to get bogged down by impending finals. Sunday is the release date!

Perhaps it's a tad late, but I noticed that there is a brown (M) at Court Street in the Brooklyn Map. I don't know if its correct or not, but I believe that there is a X - crossover missing above the new South Ferry Station.

Don't the new tracks at South Ferry also cross over the old tracks at grade?

Updates to the track maps are not modifications of the original maps---these are all brand new maps given to me, accurate as of the 2010 publication of "Tracks of the NYC Subway", so all of the corrections mentioned in other posts are already included.

I am looking forward to these updates. Can wait to see them.

Archived