J/Z reconfiguration?

Iamthe1

would it be feasible to reroute the (J) and (Z) trains so that the (J) runs from Jamaica Center to Broad St (Chambers Street late nights only) and runs express peak direction Broadway Junction to Marcy Avenue skipping Bowery station also then have the (Z) fill in that gap by running between Broadway Junction and Bay Parkway (utilizing the old (Mx) route) making all local stops, the (D) train could then run express peak direction Bay Parkway to 9th Avenue and the (R) would get some help along 4th Avenue at that time.

of course this is all rush hours only, the the (J) and (D) trains run normal. (M) train service remains unaffected...

Shoot, I don't know. But I've always thought about the (J) being all local and the (Z) being totally express, without skip/stop. After Broadway Junction it would be just 3 stops to Manhattan. That would add more frequent service at the local stations, but also more time to the commute. But maybe not, cause the headways during the rush would be shorter, if both (J)/(Z) made all stops between J. Center and Junction.

Guest lance25

I could have sworn we've had this discussion before. The (J) and (Z) can NOT run two different routes or the skip-stop won't work. If the (Z) starts from Eastern Parkway, then the (J) will have to run full local from Parsons Blvd to Broadway Junction, which will lead to more crowding at the stations and on the trains. Plus, if the (J) runs local, more people will take the (E), which will exacerbate the overcrowding problem on that line. Even when the (Mx) ran to south Brooklyn, the (D) ran local on the West End. You wanna know why? It's because there is no need for express service on that line, just like the Sea Beach line.

Personally, all I think Fourth Avenue needs is more (R) service (I know about the budget issues) or perhaps a few local (N)s, but I'm not exactly sure as I don't ride that line.

the purpose of the Z is to speed travel on Jamaica El, which, IINM, is one of the longest sections of two track line in the system. The D has never run peak express on the west end, this would make people miserable becuase there are only a handful of Zs to begin with

The (Z) and (J) you mean, the (Z) doesn't only make a difference but the (J) as well.

I thought the whole reason a Skip Stop Service was made was to reduce the amount of passengers over crowding the train. (1)(9)(J)(Z).

Sorry there is no need to change the (J) and the (Z)'s configuration. If it were changed it would cause problems. Also the (Z) could be extended to Brooklyn but there is no need for a West End Express. The (Mx) didn't do that well on the West End Line and since I live by there there is no need for any express service. I find the West End Line really short so there is no need for it. Also there isn't any demand for it. The (D) does well by itself. The only thing I agree on is giving the people on the Fourth Avenue Line more service. It doesn't have to be a (Z) extension. It could be something similar to the <R> which ran between Chambers Street and Bay Ridge-95th Street. A service like this could potentially be extended to Staten Island. It could be a brown (V) or anything that the (MTA) wants. It can't be called an <R>.

Sorry there is no need to change the (J) and the (Z)'s configuration. If it were changed it would cause problems. Also the (Z) could be extended to Brooklyn but there is no need for a West End Express. The (Mx) didn't do that well on the West End Line and since I live by there there is no need for any express service. I find the West End Line really short so there is no need for it. Also there isn't any demand for it. The (D) does well by itself. The only thing I agree on is giving the people on the Fourth Avenue Line more service. It doesn't have to be a (Z) extension. It could be something similar to the <R> which ran between Chambers Street and Bay Ridge-95th Street. A service like this could potentially be extended to Staten Island. It could be a brown (V) or anything that the (MTA) wants. It can't be called an <R>.

The (Z) could be extended to Brooklyn???:confused:

Guest lance25

Good luck trying to get the (M) back to Nassau St. Ridgewood and Bushwick will fight the (MTA) tooth and nail to keep their one seat ride to Midtown.

Like I said previously, all Fourth Avenue needs is more (R) service (or local (N)s), not an entirely new line. Also, if I recall correctly, the West End doesn't really need two lines serving it, case and point, the (Mx) were nearly empty east of 9 Av.

Slightly off topic: @Roadcruiser1: When making a suggestion or trying to make a point about something, please separate your thoughts with paragraphs or at least decent spacing. Reading that mess of text is hard on people's eyes.

A (J) making all local stops beats an (E) express to downtown Manhattan, under normal circumstances. I tried to beat someone to a point by riding the (E) over the (J); it didn't work.

What's that saying, again: The shortest distance between two points is a straight line...?

You mean when CIY sends a consist for use on the (W), they would make it run as Sea Beach local and 4th Av local?

Those were the extra (W)s that weren't layed up at City Hall. It was the first 4 in the morning that started at 86 St and the last 4 that went to Kings Hwy

Now back to the topic at hand, all 4 Av needs is about 1 or 2 extra (R) trains as put-ins (given the current capacity) and it'll be fine

Archived