"Is The PATH A Suitable Substitute For The Subway?"

EE Broadway Local

gothamist asks an intriguing question. With a fare of $1.75, a monthly pass at $54 (30 Day) and clean, PATH has apparently seduced one Village resident to abandon his former (1) train using PATH between Christopher Street and 33d Street.

Article and Picture from gothamist: http://gothamist.com/2010/11/03/is_the_path_a_suitable_substitute_f.php

I'd rather walk from 33rd to times sq or gct than take the subway with its underground non-info of when trains are coming nature.

I've walked from 9th street PATH to times sq before when they had track work going on, was quite a pleasant trip & would love to do it again when it gets colder (do not attempt in summer!).

- A

I agree, path sux cuz they ban photography

In all honestly though, PATH is smaller than the NYCS so comparing the two isn't fair. You get what you pay for, and in my opinion, $2.25 to ride from Wakefield in the Bronx to Tottenville in Staten Island (if the ferry cooperates) is a steal.

path1.jpg?w=500&h=375

dc-metro.jpg

West_4th_Grunge_by_brad_frost.jpg

...And what substantial proof is that? With the bad track safety record the Metro has had as of late (perfect example) they have no right to give their input on ANY aspect of ANY mass transit system, period.

Metro%20Crash.jpg?

JUST the example I've been looking for! Well done, NX.

Metro%20Crash.jpg?

The WMATA crash = shyt happens. NYCS has a crash history also.

img_69015.jpg

City: New York

System: New York City Transit

Line: IND Rockaway

Car: R-40 (St. Louis, 1968)

Collection of: George Conrad Collection

Date: 9/12/1970

Notes: Collision between two R40 trains on bridge. Likely E service as the R40 slants were assigned to Jamaica Yard at the time.

img_50220.jpg

City: New York

System: New York City Transit

Car: R-143 (Kawasaki, 2001-2002) 8277

Photo by: Dante D. Angerville

Date: 6/21/2006

Notes: Train in Canarsie Yard overshoots bumper after motorman has seizure.

Keyword: RECENT. Don't bring up the Union Square Wreck as that was well over a decade ago.

Recent or not shyt happens. Just like one of our drivers bent up the front of 7184, shyt happens. A chain of events causes these kind of things to happen. What if ATO on the (L) fails and some ish like this happens, then people will begin to say ATO is a bust. ATO can be a bust anywhere if a computer fails. Thats another story. What happens if PATH has a fatal accident like that WMATA crash, then people will bash that.

Dont forget about that (L) that went past the bumper block at 8th Av.

Recent or not shyt happens. Just like one of our drivers bent up the front of 7184, shyt happens. A chain of events causes these kind of things to happen. What if ATO on the (L) fails and some ish like this happens, then people will begin to say ATO is a bust. ATO can be a bust anywhere if a computer fails. Thats another story. What happens if PATH has a fatal accident like that WMATA crash, then people will bash that.

Dont forget about that (L) that went past the bumper block at 8th Av.

When was that?

The 8th Av accident happened a few years ago [dunno exact year, but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as the yard incident].

I agree, path sux cuz they ban photography

Totally agreed. That's so retarded about that ban. It's not like it runs thru any place like the Pentagon or some super security area. PA = PAraoid. But agreed with Pablo: apples to oranges, even though the entire system can be compared to the entire length of the (2) or (6) lines.

Ditto.

Shit, If I can come home with some PATH videos, some of you can pull a fast one with the photos....

If it's not a rfw shot [from the side windows] and a short clip. Technically you can get a vid clip on Path, but that said, I don't recommend it unless the train is either packed or empty. Btw: those PA5s don't have cameras in them do they?

I think what the article in inferring to is, though small with a single line, is PATH, with a fare of $1.75 and a lower priced 30 Day card enough of an inducement for riders to give up the (F) or (M) on Sixth Avenue or the (1) on Seventh Avenue between Christopher and 34th Streets.

IIRC, in the 1970's, when PATH had a 35 cent fare and the subway was a 50 cent token, PATH gained a little ridership and people actually would cross the Hudson - twice - stopping at Pavonia Avenue, and Exchange Place to go from Sixth Avenue to the World Trade Center.

PATH is all re-enforced concrete arch or iron ring, there are no support anything aside to hold the ceiling up in stations, those are made from concrete with a central iron column, add to that they sit up on the platform & you can see nothing's going to happen, there's just no space for it to. Exchange place doesn't even have any free standing columns at platform level.

Apple to rhubarb is more like it. Only significant similarities are the track gauge, and use of 3rd rail. The signals are different, the train operation is different, the max speed is higher, the rolling stock though shorter in length is actually heavier, the interlocking are mainly at terminals and there are only 2 main crossovers, and they are 3 dimensional, not flat. It has had very, very few incidents, the most recent of which was the bumper over-run at 33rd street, but that was low speed.

As with some of the rest of the early 20th century engineering projects, it needs work, the rails are flat from wear and they need to refresh the ballast and put in new ties. Only way to do this is take a section out of service, and that can only happen overnight and weekends.

If i'm going to midtown i either (NJT) from broad street station on a midtown direct, or PATH from hoboken or newport.

- A

Archived