Tracks of the NYC Subway cover photo contest 2011 WINNER

Peter Dougherty

Hi all,

Many thanks to the entrants to this year's photo contest. The contest closed at midnight on October 31st and I received about 30 entries. By Nov. 5th I had it down to three and this afternoon, down to two. I'm doing mock-covers right now and I'm pretty sure I have a winner. I will notify him privately and as soon as I do, I will announce it publicly here on this forum as well as on the other site.

I would like to thank everyone who entered. I did receive two late submissions and they're in the running for 2011. Speaking of which, next year's contest for the 2012 cover will end on September 30th 2011, one month earlier than this year. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get this Christmas' ad into the printer in time for a new cover, so the ad will reflect the old 2010 cover.

I'll announce the new 2011/2012 contest in a few weeks but I'm going to make a preliminary request. I'm getting a LOT of trains-on-elevated pics (as I would have expected). I'd like to maybe try something different for the next couple of covers...and the season to catch what I'm looking for is coming up. SNOW! Our subways in the snow, I think, would make an excellent subject for a cover shot. Gotta be a bright sunny blue-sky kinda day (the day after a blizzard is usually gorgeous but cold as heck!) and I need signals/switches/signs in the image.

Plan B would be underground shots of a complex interlocking, with switches and illuminated signals from the point of view of an approaching train. I'd say a well-illuminated work area from an express track would be ideal for this. Today's ultra-high-ISO digital sensors should yield great pics in that light level.

Again, I'll make a formal announcement in the New Year. The contest is open to everyone and, as mentioned, will end on Sept. 30th, 2011 at midnight. Details will follow.

OK, without any further ado, the winner of the 2011 cover is Zach Summer! Here's a quick look at the new cover (it will be massaged in Photoshop a little before it goes to press but this is more-or-less the way the final will look)

2011_cover-prelim.jpg

Congrats to Zach on the photo, it looks friggin awesome!!!

Streetlights on the el?

Nice cover!

Alright Zach! Congratulations! Awesome!

Congrats that photo is HOT.I love the (:(!

Thank you everybody! Thank you for all the kind words! I appreciate it so much :cool:

Zach

OK, without any further ado, the winner of the 2011 cover is Zach Summer! Here's a quick look at the new cover (it will be massaged in Photoshop a little before it goes to press but this is more-or-less the way the final will look)

2011_cover-prelim.jpg

Nice! However, what happened to the motorman of the train on the left?

• 2 months later...

Archived