Overcrowding Stations

Broadway Local

Have you ever been on the overcrowding stations? If you do, please list them.

The overcrowding stations I've been are:

(1)(2)(3)- Atlantic-Pacific/42 St

(4)(5)(6)- Atlantic-Pacific/Canal St/14 St/23 St/33 St/42 St/59 St

(A)(C)(E)- 42 St-PABT/Sutphin Blvd/Jamaica Center/Jackson Heights

(:P(D)(F)(M) [(V)- Eliminated]- Coney Island/62 St (Only when (N) run via the (D))/36 St/Broadway-Lafayette/W 4 St/34 St/47-50 Sts

(J)- Sutphin Blvd/Canal St

(Mx)- Atlantic-Pacific

(N)(Q)(R) [(W)- Eliminated]- Coney Island/8 Av/Atlantic-Pacific/Canal St/14 St/23 St/34 St/42 St/49 St/5 Av/Lex Av

I take the (N) and I always notice the throngs of people at Queensboro Plaza, Lexington Avenue, 42 Street, 34 Street, 14 Street, Canal Street, Pacific Street, and 8 Avenue during rush hours. During PM rush, there's even a lot of people boarding the Coney Island-bound (N) at 8 Avenue.

I'll name one station for each borough.

Brooklyn-Broadway Junction (A),(C),(J),(Z).From what I see everyday but then again I can be wrong.

I think that Atlantic - Pacific Complex has more crowds, especially when an LIRR train pulls in.

8 Avenue during rush hours. During PM rush, there's even a lot of people boarding the Coney Island-bound (N) at 8 Avenue.

Seeing as how that one exit services such a large (Asian) community and has only one exit/entrance and staircase, its bound to be crowded, and those grocery shoppers need a way to get home too.

The Twelve Busiest Subway Stations:

1) Times Square-42d Street (1)(2)(3)(7)<7>(S)(N)(Q)®/42d Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal (A)(C)(E) 58,099,313 annually

2) Grand Central-42d Street (4)(5)(6)<6>(7)<7>(S) 42,002,971 annually

3) 34th Street-Herald Square (:)(D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R) 36,945,680 annually

4) 14th Street-Union Square (4)(5)(6)<6> L N Q R 34,245,245 annually

5) 34th Street-Penn Station 1 2 3 27,196,195 annually

6) 34th Street-Penn Station A C E 24,182,097

7) 59th Street-Columbus Circle A C E B D 1 20,418,815 annually

8) Lexington Avenue N Q R/59th Street 4 5 6 18,924,005 annually

9) 86th Street 4 5 6 18,891,890 annually

10) Fulton Street J Z 2 3 4 5/Broadway-Nassau Street A C 18,845,213 annually

11) Lexington Avenue E M/51st Street 6 18,618,356 annually

12) Flushing-Main Street 7 18,287,069 annually

By contrast, The Rockaways have some of the least used subway stations:

421) Beach 105th Street-Seaside A H 58,588 annually

420) Broad Channel A H 93,087 annually

419) Cortlandt Street N R 125,457 annually

418) Beach 44th Street-Frank Avenue A 176,647 annually

417) East 143d Street-Saint Mary's Street 6 239,458 annually

416) Aqueduct-North Conduit Avenue A 249,341

415) Beach 98th Street-Playland A H 259,501 annually

414) Beach 36th Street-Edgemere A 263,693 annually

413) Rockaway Park-Beach 116th Street A H 267,902 annually

412) 21st Street-Van Alst G 333,612 annually

411) Beach 90th Street-Holland A H 344,465 annually

410) Bushwick Avenue-Aberdeen Street L 365,349 annually

409) Atlantic Avenue L 395,887 annually

By contrast, The Rockaways have some of the least used subway stations:

421) Beach 105th Street-Seaside A H 58,588 annually

420) Broad Channel A H 93,087 annually

419) Cortlandt Street N R 125,457 annually

418) Beach 44th Street-Frank Avenue A 176,647 annually

417) East 143d Street-Saint Mary's Street 6 239,458 annually

416) Aqueduct-North Conduit Avenue A 249,341

415) Beach 98th Street-Playland A H 259,501 annually

414) Beach 36th Street-Edgemere A 263,693 annually

413) Rockaway Park-Beach 116th Street A H 267,902 annually

412) 21st Street-Van Alst G 333,612 annually

411) Beach 90th Street-Holland A H 344,465 annually

410) Bushwick Avenue-Aberdeen Street L 365,349 annually

409) Atlantic Avenue L 395,887 annually

What about Aqueduct Racetrack?

Well I idk about too much "overcrowding" since the system was designed to carry large amounts of ppl, honestly I think most lines handle it pretty well, the only lines that pose a concern is the (4)(5)(6) stations in Manhattan, especially if a train is canceled or something is out of slot. 51st Street I've seen get pretty bad as well as Brooklyn Bridge and 14th. Grand Central seems to do pretty well for the 2nd busiest station in the system. However it seems to be the norm for me on the Lex Line at times to let a train or 2 go by before I can fit into one.

Another platform that has made me go whoa! at times is Lexington Ave on the (E)(M) and 59th St on the (A)(C)(:)(D).

Any other type of severe overcrowding I've seen is when there was a service disruption.

I consider Aqueduct Racetrack (A) a "special station". For 2009, it was the least used subway station in the system. Annually: 27,004. Weekdays: 52 average; Saturdays: 143 average; Sundays: 106 average. This makes it 422).

The next least used, Beach 105th Street-Seaside saw a Weekday average of 191; a Saturday average of 94, and a Sunday average of 79.

408) Bay Parkway (F) 417,087 annually

13) 74th Street-Broadway (7)/Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue (E)(F)(M)(R) 16,049,407 annually.

What about Aqueduct Racetrack?

In light of the closing for many years of the N-R-W Cortlandt Street station due to construction issues at the WTC site, and its recent partial opening - I'd say that the station is a special case of "light usage.

One could easily say that the nearby Cortlandt Street station on the #1 line is an extremely lightly used station, but without context the statistic would have little meaning.

Mike

I consider Aqueduct Racetrack (A) a "special station". For 2009, it was the least used subway station in the system. Annually: 27,004. Weekdays: 52 average; Saturdays: 143 average; Sundays: 106 average. This makes it 422).

The next least used, Beach 105th Street-Seaside saw a Weekday average of 191; a Saturday average of 94, and a Sunday average of 79.

408) Bay Parkway (F) 417,087 annually

13) 74th Street-Broadway (7)/Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue (E)(F)(M)(R) 16,049,407 annually.

Only 79 people coming into a station a whole day.Thats more trains than people there.

Well I idk about too much "overcrowding" since the system was designed to carry large amounts of ppl, honestly I think most lines handle it pretty well, the only lines that pose a concern is the (4)(5)(6) stations in Manhattan, especially if a train is canceled or something is out of slot. 51st Street I've seen get pretty bad as well as Brooklyn Bridge and 14th. Grand Central seems to do pretty well for the 2nd busiest station in the system. However it seems to be the norm for me on the Lex Line at times to let a train or 2 go by before I can fit into one.

Another platform that has made me go whoa! at times is Lexington Ave on the (E)(M) and 59th St on the (A)(C)(:P(D).

I hope you realize that those statistics are only for station admittance and not transfer between trains, if you put that into consideration, it might change the "busiest stations" around.

You're right. What is generally considered the worst is Lex/53rd at the S/E of the (E)(M) platform where the (6) transfer is. Other stations that the initial post mentioned like 42nd, 34th, and 14th seem to handle the passenger flow well from what I can gather.

That is another thing to keep in mind with those stats as Law pointed out. That's turnstile entry/data and doesn't account for transfers at places like 59/CC or 9ST/4v. The only way to get the actual numbers is to go out there and count.

I would like to see in a month or so if any research is done to see how the Jay St-Metrotech transfer has impacted the usage of 9 St on the (R) to any noticeable difference.

Grand Street-Chinatown (:P(D)

I was once there and it was so crowded that people were jammed even in the staircase. When one train came, there were so many people that they couldnt even fit on, so the platform still had about 50 people after that first (D) left.

-----------------------

someone saw an R32 @ Bedford park Bl this morning (C) via (D).

That is another thing to keep in mind with those stats as Law pointed out. That's turnstile entry/data and doesn't account for transfers at places like 59/CC or 9ST/4v. The only way to get the actual numbers is to go out there and count.

I would like to see in a month or so if any research is done to see how the Jay St-Metrotech transfer has impacted the usage of 9 St on the (R) to any noticeable difference.

I don't think MTA would pay anyone to go and count the amount of people transferring between trains or lines.

Grand Street-Chinatown (:P(D)

I was once there and it was so crowded that people were jammed even in the staircase. When one train came, there were so many people that they couldnt even fit on, so the platform still had about 50 people after that first (D) left.

You cannot know if those people are waiting for a (:P, and that was at the staircase, many people prefer riding closer to the middle than the extreme ends. I use that station many times, usually everyone goes on the (D) and a few people wait for the (B).

I remember once last week where I was on the (4) to Woodlawn, and looking out the window at 161 St - Yankee Stadium the platforms were excessively croweded, to the point where a large amount of people's feet were only half on the platform. It was like that all the way to 170th.

And I definitely agree with Lexington Av/53 St (E)(M), everytime I go there to transfer to the (6), It's so packed to get on the escalator.

I don't think MTA would pay anyone to go and count the amount of people transferring between trains or lines.

They certainly would, even just to count how many people use particular stairways at a given time. These counts are used to obtain data used for ridership analysis and to plan before construction on places like the Brighton Line. Remember that temporary crossover at Sheepshead Bay?

You cannot know if those people are waiting for a (:o, and that was at the staircase, many people prefer riding closer to the middle than the extreme ends. I use that station many times, usually everyone goes on the (D) and a few people wait for the (:).

Im sorry I forgot to mention this was a weekend (saturday) (:) didnt run.:P

Have you ever been on the overcrowding stations? If you do, please list them.

The overcrowding stations I've been are:

(1)(2)(3)- Atlantic-Pacific/42 St

(4)(5)(6)- Atlantic-Pacific/Canal St/14 St/23 St/33 St/42 St/59 St

(A)(C)(E)- 42 St-PABT/Sutphin Blvd/Jamaica Center/Jackson Heights

(B)(D)(F)(M) [(V)- Eliminated]- Coney Island/62 St (Only when (N) run via the (D))/36 St/Broadway-Lafayette/W 4 St/34 St/47-50 Sts

(J)- Sutphin Blvd/Canal St

(Mx)- Atlantic-Pacific

(N)(Q)(R) [(W)- Eliminated]- Coney Island/8 Av/Atlantic-Pacific/Canal St/14 St/23 St/34 St/42 St/49 St/5 Av/Lex Av

I have the exactly same results as you.

Archived