Express bus cut talk

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's nothing elitist about wanting a comfortable ride. This is just more express bus hatorade.

Don't get me wrong, I am an express bus supporter since I use the lines kinda often when certain subway lines are running local, but the x90 was the definition of scumbags, you apparently ignored the posts B35 & I made about the x90 and x92....

Not to jump in on this discussion again, as frankly I don't want to be anywhere near it -- but regarding this idea of express buses v. local buses in the marketplace:

Isn't it pretty clear that it absolutely does not matter whether or not a bus is express or local? These marketers are trumping the CONNECTIONS available because of express bus service. You can't take an S42 to City Hall, any way you cut it. So whether or not you're talking about an S89 to New Jersey or an x89 to New Jersey, it's the service that counts. Unless you've got the "I wouldn't touch a local bus" snobs, the type of bus and fare shouldn't mean a thing -- I don't buy this argument that people only buy these houses because I they can take an express bus. No, they buy the houses so they are close to an interborough bus, of any sort.

You think the folks on Shore Road really enjoying taking the slow and filthy R train that goes through Sunset Park???

Forest Glen is right on the money... If you're buying a place in certain areas, the express bus is certainly an extra perk.

Don't get me wrong, I am an express bus supporter since I use the lines kinda often when certain subway lines are running local, but the x90 was the definition of scumbags, you apparently ignored the posts B35 & I made about the x90 and x92....

Express bus riders always do that. It's not racism... Just a question of regulars vs outsiders and it's usually obvious when someone isn't a regular.

If you had read my previous post about the x90, you'd see where I'm coming from with the elitists along that line. And I agree 100%, make those f*cks use the Lexington Avenue Line & the damn M15 Select Bus Service.

They're not using either of those services... They'll just hop in a cab if anything. I actually don't blame them either... The M15 is too crowded, as is the 4 5 6 line. I only use the 4 5 6 during off peak hours for short distances. I've never been a fan of the M15 though.

That is far from true seeing that you have express buses that originate in the slums of the North Shore of Staten Island (e.g. Port Richmond).

They only go there because Castleton Depot is right there... Not many people get on in Port Richmond. The bulk of ridership is from Richmond Ave on.

Express bus riders always do that. It's not racism... Just a question of regulars vs outsiders and it's usually obvious when someone isn't a regular.

See, now this is where I can disagree with you because after being on some express bus riders on the QM1/QM10 with KR, the x1, x6, x7 and the rest of the routes I've been on, I've met some super cool passengers who road on those lines daily. The peeps that rode on that x90 were just Grade A Jackasses....

See, now this is where I can disagree with you because after being on some express bus riders on the QM1/QM10 with KR, the x1, x6, x7 and the rest of the routes I've been on, I've met some super cool passengers who road on those lines daily. The peeps that rode on that x90 were just Grade A Jackasses....

I've had the "look" given to me from time to time... I give the look back even worse and that works quite well. I'm used to going places where there are snobs and I'm good at putting them in their place and being just as snobby. It's all part of the snob appeal on the express bus on some lines. There is also an age thing on express buses. I remember when I first started riding the X16 as a 24 year old. The driver actually snubbed me, as if to say I wasn't one of the regulars. When that shit happens I note it and I play the game too. Now this guy was old school in that I know he had been around. Since then I've had him on the X14 from time to time and he's been extra nice to me. Most express bus riders are middle aged folks and I am usually the youngest person on the bus. And also females are usually the majority and they can be uber "weird" at times.

Now that I've been riding for a while I rarely ever get a look on any line I'm on. It's kind of like you can sense those folks that normally take the exrpess bus. :cool:

The first time I got on an express bus was in 2000 when I was 15. One lady asked me if I was lost. Another told me it was the line for the express bus, as if I didn't know what an express bus was. When I started taking the express bus to school, one of the B/O's asked me if I was on the right bus. Once they get to know you, however, they become more polite. Whenever I leave an express bus I always greet the driver. I'd always see the same people on the bus. On one of the X63's, they had Christmas decorations. Once, they even had a little party on the bus.

I keep referencing "the market". It's not about how YOU travel and how YOU make decisions. It is about "the market". If you don't understand how that works, you'll miss it COMPLETELY.

Let's take Staten Island, for instance. The express bus people are not homogeneous. There are the second or third generation Staten Islander, the transplant from Brooklyn, the transplant from Long Island (becoming more rare) and the transplant from New Jersey. A lot of the people who moved from Brooklyn and New Jersey moved because they had access to express bus service. Why? Most of the New Jersey people moved from northern New Jersey and most of the Brooklyn people moved from southern Brooklyn (Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Marine Park, Bath Beach, Gerritsen Beach, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Bensonhurst). They moved because they have a car or access to the express bus. You think people are moving to SI to ride the local buses? Only a busfan would say that.

Why do people like the express bus? I rode in on the last AE7 yesterday morning. We left the Pleasant Plains Park & Ride at 8:00AM, sat for 10 minutes on the helix motionless and got to 34/9 at 8:50AM. From an equivalent location on the local bus or SIR, you are sitting at the ferry after 50 minutes. There is a real difference on Staten Island. It isn't myth.

Here is another story for you. Yesterday, I took the 4:30AM boat to Staten Island. A cute chick came up to a group of us and was asking us where to catch a certain bus and whether it ran overnight. She was only using the bus/ferry combo because her car got stolen. Had she had her car, she would have been home in 30-40 minutes. The ferry takes 25 minutes. The extended X1 night service is taking drivers off the road because they can party as they like and get dropped off near their houses. Express bus riders aren't partying on Staten Island. They are hanging out with co-workers and they are where? Manhattan. This is why the proximity of express bus service and rail service to housing matters.

Here is the issue: the unit costs of MTA express bus operations are too high. The high rates of subsidy INDUCE people to use that service. The reason that the unit costs are so high is that these operations are heavily peaked. Youu will notice a big difference between the operating costs of the X1 during the week and on weekends. This difference stems from the fact that there is little rush period additional service on weekends. This is why filling these buses is important. It cost $300-400 for each city express trip on average. If you are putting 35 people on the bus, you are getting killed. This problem has to be solved by increasing ridership and the service span for these routes so that more buses can make a second or third trip. A lot of them will have to go, but a fair number can be fixed and kept.

With regards to the X90, this is another case of "understanding the market". Anyone that thinks the M15SBS is a replacement for the X90 is smoking something very good and very illegal. If you think that a bus that takes 65-85 minutes to do what the X90 did in 45-60 minutes is an adequate replacement, then that indicates a personal bias against Upper East Side residents. I see a lot of typing that amounts to "cut them down to size". These people work and have families too.

It is an express bus thread... :cool: :tup:

Have you ever rode on the express bus?

Ah what the heck...might as well chime in with my story lol

My first ride on an express bus was on Thursday, December 13th in 2007 when I was 15 on the X1. It was 3 in the afternoon and i decided to transitfan Staten Island so I took the ferry and SIR to the Eltingville train station. By the time I got there it was 4:30 and was just about dark but I didn't even have to wait long for the X1. I even got a front seat. I didn't know Hylan Boulevard so well as that was my first bus ride in the borough and everything was dark. We did however use the upper level of the bridge, which was awesome.

I keep a log of all the express trips I've taken and the route. I'm also going to start doing the same for subways and local buses to help jog my memory as to what bus I've been on and where i've traveled.

Ah what the heck...might as well chime in with my story lol

My first ride on an express bus was on Thursday, December 13th in 2007 when I was 15 on the X1. It was 3 in the afternoon and i decided to transitfan Staten Island so I took the ferry and SIR to the Eltingville train station. By the time I got there it was 4:30 and was just about dark but I didn't even have to wait long for the X1. I even got a front seat. I didn't know Hylan Boulevard so well as that was my first bus ride in the borough and everything was dark. We did however use the upper level of the bridge, which was awesome.

I keep a log of all the express trips I've taken and the route. I'm also going to start doing the same for subways and local buses to help jog my memory as to what bus I've been on and where i've traveled.

It's kind of interesting that you're from Brooklyn and your favourite line is in Staten Island. :cool: Yeah, I never get tired of the view on the Verrazano especially when the sun is setting coming back. I love the Fort that is right there off of the bridge. Reminds me of the forts that I saw living back in Italy.

The upper deck we tend to use in the AM a lot since it leads us into the HOV lane. The X12 and other buses like the X17 usually take the upper deck coming back since they take the SIE for a good part of their commute onto the island. The only time I get freaked out is if there is a crazy wind storm or bad fog or something. They will close the upper level when visibility is poor or it is very windy.

Oh boy...this thread has took a left turn just as bad as the R68A (Q) train thread last night, storytelling about our first express bus rides and what not. Smh....

27 pages... last time I checked that thread, some cocksucker blew his load venting about subway car types....

last 2 pages I saw though, it was pure randomness... cats musta gotten drunk last night while postin in that thread.....

and I missed the party !

The people who take express buses aren't necessarily concerned about being elite-they are concerned about getting to work in a comfortable manner. In some of those areas, the express bus makes a significant dent in the length of the commute.

For example, for me to get to Midtown Manhattan during rush hour, the quickest way is the X17J-about 45 minutes. If I were to take the local bus and ferry, the trip would be:

30 minutes to St. George

30 minutes across NY Harbor (includes 5 minutes waiting time for the ferry to arrive)

20 minutes to Midtown.

You can see that the express bus cuts the commute virtually in half.

I'm sure a good portion of express bus riders would be willing to use local buses/subways to get to work if the trip time was shorter.

I would like to believe that last statement, but I'd be giving some daily express bus riders too much credit in doing that....

I do agree that it isn't about being elite, as people are using the things (this shoots down the whole jealousy BS FG was going off about); but believe there are said riders that have/do exude such attitudes before they even utilize these buses....

Aside from connotations, yeah, generally speaking, the service is there to cut down commute times..... much like the subway, over local buses... people often question which is faster, the subway or the express bus... I'll leave that open to debate....

Anyway, I remember a story someone mentioned a while back (I think it was BrooklynBus, when we used to go at it) was tellin me, about someone taking 4 or 5 local buses to get to CSI.... can you imagine having to use that many buses being people's everyday commute... can you imagine if it were a common commute in this city.... can you imagine if there were no subways in NYC....

I keep referencing "the market". It's not about how YOU travel and how YOU make decisions. It is about "the market". If you don't understand how that works, you'll miss it COMPLETELY.

Yes, it is about the market... Absolutely right.

Which would explain a reason as to why you keep failing with the services you provide !

Let's take Staten Island, for instance. The express bus people are not homogeneous. There are the second or third generation Staten Islander, the transplant from Brooklyn, the transplant from Long Island (becoming more rare) and the transplant from New Jersey. A lot of the people who moved from Brooklyn and New Jersey moved because they had access to express bus service. Why? Most of the New Jersey people moved from northern New Jersey and most of the Brooklyn people moved from southern Brooklyn (Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Marine Park, Bath Beach, Gerritsen Beach, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Bensonhurst). They moved because they have a car or access to the express bus. You think people are moving to SI to ride the local buses? Only a busfan would say that.

Have Staten Islanders tell it, and they'd start tossing s**t at you - including the kitchen sink.

the 2nd & 3rd gen' Staten Islander believes they ARE staten island.... 100%

it's like the mixed kid that only favors/adopts the culture of one side of his/her race.....

Why do people like the express bus? I rode in on the last AE7 yesterday morning. We left the Pleasant Plains Park & Ride at 8:00AM, sat for 10 minutes on the helix motionless and got to 34/9 at 8:50AM. From an equivalent location on the local bus or SIR, you are sitting at the ferry after 50 minutes. There is a real difference on Staten Island. It isn't myth.

the relaxation and convenience it can provide at times, isn't in question....

Here is another story for you. Yesterday, I took the 4:30AM boat to Staten Island. A cute chick came up to a group of us and was asking us where to catch a certain bus and whether it ran overnight. She was only using the bus/ferry combo because her car got stolen. Had she had her car, she would have been home in 30-40 minutes. The ferry takes 25 minutes. The extended X1 night service is taking drivers off the road because they can party as they like and get dropped off near their houses. Express bus riders aren't partying on Staten Island. They are hanging out with co-workers and they are where? Manhattan. This is why the proximity of express bus service and rail service to housing matters.

did you hit, though?

Here is the issue: the unit costs of MTA express bus operations are too high. The high rates of subsidy INDUCE people to use that service. The reason that the unit costs are so high is that these operations are heavily peaked. Youu will notice a big difference between the operating costs of the X1 during the week and on weekends. This difference stems from the fact that there is little rush period additional service on weekends. This is why filling these buses is important. It cost $300-400 for each city express trip on average. If you are putting 35 people on the bus, you are getting killed. This problem has to be solved by increasing ridership and the service span for these routes so that more buses can make a second or third trip. A lot of them will have to go, but a fair number can be fixed and kept.

Well, who's fault is it when you have residents of a particular commuinty STILL opting to ride the personal vehicle, over the express bus, when a given express bus route runs right in their backyard?

and in general, who's fault is it that the masses aren't riding the things?

and when I say the masses, I mean people that ARE currently taking the local bus to the subway, or w/e....

non-express bus riders perhaps....

With regards to the X90, this is another case of "understanding the market". Anyone that thinks the M15SBS is a replacement for the X90 is smoking something very good and very illegal. If you think that a bus that takes 65-85 minutes to do what the X90 did in 45-60 minutes is an adequate replacement, then that indicates a personal bias against Upper East Side residents. I see a lot of typing that amounts to "cut them down to size". These people work and have families too.

We aint saying the M15 is a replacement.

- have a regular express bus rider embark upon a local, and most either couldn't tell, or wouldn't give enough of a f**k...

- have a person who normally takes the local bus and/or the subway, and you do get awkward stares, attitudes, the whole nine - especially if you're wishing to take a seat next to said person... done been through that scenario dozens of times.... it's like they can sniff out non locals, and they don't like it... at all....

So in retaliation, We're saying, force these snobs on the M15 so they can STFU...

so they can see how far turning their noses up on average everyday folk, will fly.

Yes, it is about the market... Absolutely right.

Which would explain a reason as to why you keep failing with the services you provide !

Have Staten Islanders tell it, and they'd start tossing s**t at you - including the kitchen sink.

the 2nd & 3rd gen' Staten Islander believes they ARE staten island.... 100%

it's like the mixed kid that only favors/adopts the culture of one side of his/her race.....

the relaxation and convenience it can provide at times, isn't in question....

did you hit, though?

Well, who's fault is it when you have residents of a particular commuinty STILL opting to ride the personal vehicle, over the express bus, when a given express bus route runs right in their backyard?

and when I say the masses, I mean people that ARE currently taking the local bus to the subway, or w/e....

We aint saying the M15 is a replacement.

- have a regular express bus rider embark upon a local, and most either couldn't tell, or wouldn't give enough of a f**k...

- have a person who normally takes the local bus and/or the subway, and you do get awkward stares, attitudes, the whole nine - especially if you're wishing to take a seat next to said person... done been through that scenario dozens of times.... it's like they can sniff out non locals, and they don't like it... at all....

So in retaliation, We're saying, force these snobs on the M15 so they can STFU...

so they can see how far turning their noses up on average everyday folk, will fly.

The local bus riders can be loud and obnoxious to the point that they just have to make some sort of noise and we express bus riders get irritated because we don't want the riff raff, nor do we want them tearing down the buses that we ride.

I used to witness this on the X30 back in the days when the economy was healthy. I've noticed that with the economy in the tanks, it's much more pleasant to ride and I have been using it more often than the X14, which is very quiet and classy, but a longer walk up hill coming home. It's actually really nice to ride the X30 from Sunnyside through my neighborhood in West Brighton down Forest Avenue... It used to go down hill occasionally from Richmond Avenue on, but as I said, now not every Tom, **** and Harry can afford the X30, so it's become more civilized.

It just comes down to class. Most express bus riders are classy, hard working folks. The local buses on Staten Island in particular are just amazing to me. The people act like savages and the buses tend to be filthy... They literally yell in their cell phones as if we all need to hear their entire conversation. The local buses in Manhattan are far more pleasant to ride in terms of noise level, even if they are crowded.

I can't speak for all of the local lines in Manhattan, but the ones I use from time to time are:

M1-M5

M7

M30, M57

M104

M42

M79

M66

Oh, I understand the reasons they have, and why they feel the way they do.

The local bus riders can be loud and obnoxious to the point that they just have to make some sort of noise and we express bus riders get irritated because we don't want the riff raff, nor do we want them tearing down the buses that we ride.

I used to witness this on the X30 back in the days when the economy was healthy. I've noticed that with the economy in the tanks, it's much more pleasant to ride and I have been using it more often than the X14, which is very quiet and classy, but a longer walk up hill coming home. It's actually really nice to ride the X30 from Sunnyside through my neighborhood in West Brighton down Forest Avenue... It used to go down hill occasionally from Richmond Avenue on, but as I said, now not every Tom, **** and Harry can afford the X30, so it's become more civilized.

It just comes down to class. Most express bus riders are classy, hard working folks. The local buses on Staten Island in particular are just amazing to me. The people act like savages and the buses tend to be filthy... They literally yell in their cell phones as if we all need to hear their entire conversation. The local buses in Manhattan are far more pleasant to ride in terms of noise level, even if they are crowded.

I can't speak for all of the local lines in Manhattan, but the ones I use from time to time are:

M1-M5

M7

M30, M57

M104

M42

M79

M66

Yes, there's a huge difference b/w the way the riders behave on SI's expresses, and SI's locals.... I'll to say that out of all the 5 boroughs, the local buses riders being the most rambunctious (manhattan, as a whole, is the best/least in this category)... and the buses themselves out there are the most filthy; with only 2 depots prior to 2010, can't expect buses to shine as bright as mr clean's forehead..... but yeah, good to see that you DO see ppl cleaning inside the MCI's over @ ETC though....

even though I have to take a local bus afterwards, the reason I take the BM1, 2, or 4 buses (over the subway) going home is b/c of:

- the unreliability of the brooklyn bound (2)'s after like 6:30 (you tend to see more (3)'s)...

- most days, I don't feel much like walking...

after coming up from church av (2), I outright refuse to take the B35 from nostrand to the crib (house); which can take 15 minutes - I can walk from the train station to my house in less than that, but this isn't a B35 bus rant right now....

- having worked long hrs (10+), you just don't feel like standing... contrary to popular belief, the subway is VERY crowded during the later hours.... around the time I get out (anywhere from 7pm on), there's a guaranteed (paired) seat on either those exp. routes.... although, I have search for a couple seconds longer on the bm2...

Not to say that you don't have a point, but (comparison of) noise levels don't fly with me... people talk just as loud on their cells, whether they're on the subway, local/express bus, or just walking out & about.. that's a societal thing... I combat that w/ blasting my headphones...

Also, contrary to one person's beliefs on here, aint no fu**in haterade over here over the things....

I sincerely hope it doesn't come down to what happened on the BxM4c....

(from $5.50 to $7.50 a ride, this past september)

1) You have to consider that some people may be coming from NJ and are used to premium forms of transportation (express buses and commuter rail), but there are plenty of people who live in areas near the subway (which almost always have good transportation) and don't necessarily care if they have a premium form of transportation.

For example, my family didn't even know express buses existed until we saw a big coach bus that said "East Midtown 57th Street", and decided to take that to Manhattan. We were planning on taking the local bus to the ferry.

2) The M15 +SBS+ takes 60 minutes to get from the UES to South Ferry, not 85 minutes. The X90 may be faster, but it isn't by a very significant amount, considering the fact that the +SBS+ has signal priority (and the subway is faster than either route)

I don't see what you're saying.

I don't see what you're saying.

I don't know how much more blunt I could've been with that statement, dude....

Don't preach to me about the cost of exp. bus operations being too high...

and if you put 'x' amount of ppl on the bus, you'll get killed....

and blurting out the cost/trip for an exp. route....

but in the same breath, tell us the way to solve this problem, is to increase ridership..... that is nothing short of laughable....

Like Where, in all the blue hell, would these extra riders come from....

You don't hope & pray riders will fall from the sky... Express bus ridership (case you didn't notice) is already well established... you aint gettin much more people on the things....

which is why I snidely pointed out, whose fault is it, that express buses (in general) aren't at (or near) capacity:

- when you have people who continue to choose their cars over (any form of) public transportation...

- when you have more people taking subways & locals over expresses....

I know, let's blame the non-express bus rider for not being able to afford the things :tup:

I mean, these are the people that are majorically taking public transit in this city, right....

If you don't understand this, then I don't know what else to tell you.

The only way to really attract express bus riders without adding additional costs is to make off-peak fares cheaper, similar to the LIRR and Metro-North. If you make it, say, $6 during peak hours and $4.50 during off-peak hours, you'll solve 2 problems:

1) Demand won't be so heavily peaked (some riders might wait a bit longer so they can save $1.50)

2) Off-peak local riders will have an incentive to take the express bus.

If nothing else, peak riders would be paying their fair share of costs.

It is very rare that we agree, but for the most part you at least make intelligent and compelling arguments. That's clearly not the case here.

It is very rare that we agree, but for the most part you at least make intelligent and compelling arguments. That's clearly not the case here.

well... as abrasive (classify it as unintelligent if you'd like, bro) as I was in sayin that, I'm calling those riders out... I'm calling a spade, a spade with this one.

I represent a rather different (won't say rare) breed of commuter in NYC... as far as the work week goes, I use the express bus, local bus, and subway interchangably.... majority of local bus riders don't give express buses a primary, let alone a 2nd thought... majority of express bus riders stick to their (or another neighboring) x-bus route....

x90 riders gave ALL express bus riders, a bad name....

those were the last group of people I felt sorry for, when that got discontinued... now riders in that area either all take cabs, or act like rude, snotrag savages @ the 86th st station (4)(5)(6)

(there was one guy back at RD that would ALWAYS point that out about 86th st riders on the lex... and he couldn't have been more right... forgot dude's name)

anyway, you have your stance on x-buses.... Garibaldi gave his stance...

While your stance, I find to be euphoric at times, there are groups of people that really speak on, and act out, their feelings for non (daily/regular) express bus riders, as you come across on here.... and that light could not shine any brighter on those former riders.... anyone that tells me that "oh, x90 riders weren't any different than riders on another x-bus route", it automatically goes in one ear & out the other....

Don't mistake that quoted snippet of mine to mean, me saying, I'd get rid of every other express line, and have people take neighboring locals to the subway... that was more GC's stance on the matter (don't know if it still IS)...

Archived