Express bus cut talk

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in the city, I don't bother gettin on no SRO local bus.... only when I'm out fanning outside city limits (except beeline & SCT), and I'm catching a particular bus that's SRO, I'll attempt to cram on one (local route)...

don't know if you've ever experienced/done it, but standing on an express bus is far worse than standing on a local bus, or subway.... I aint gettin on no SRO express bus ever again... w/ the MCI's, the only thing you really have to hold onto, is the back of a person's seat (which is irritating on both fronts), or the area right below the overhead storage compartment for that row, where people sometimes hold onto, when they're getting up from the "outer" seat on the row... don't really know what it's called, but you gotta have ridiculous strength in your fingers (or good balance) to hold onto that cusp (or w/e you wanna call it) for any length of time, especially when the bus is starting, braking, then starting again....

basically I'm replying to this reply to tell you that, I am one of those healthy people that have let a SRO express bus go.... I have waited well over 20 mins. for the next bus in the particular situation... sure that 2nd one might have been SRO too, but it never ever was... it's well worth (the wait) IMO.....

agreed...

I took the BM4 today from 30th/5th to nostrand & 'K.... the last run of the night....

that thing took well over an hour to get to that point (foolishly let a BM2 pass by, I was talking to another waiting passenger (that needed the BM3)... the driver was courteous, but man, I doze off around the FDR entrance ramp, woke up at the end of the tunnel (BBT)... then dozed off again around bishop ford, and didn't wake up until around bedford & 'K (almost missed my stop... lol).... think it got stuck in ocean av traffic point is, I don't take express buses for the quick ride either....

they don't have to stand... 999/1000, they choose to....

they just don't want to bother sitting directly next to someone...

if a particular car is crowded, and there's no one sitting in the middle of the 3 seater (which is VERY common), well I'm goin to sit in the mothaf***a - and I don't care who doesn't approve of it... luckily, I've actually done it a few times, with no (external) problems; they can "think" whatever they want....

w/ the LIRR, that little problem can be rectified if they stop locking 2-3 cars at a time...

on an express bus, better believe if there's one more available seat, that passenger will sniff it out & sit in it...

not the same deal on a commuter train....

That's why I agreed with LRG that local buses could be used for some runs, and interlined with the express runs. In any case, I have stood on the express bus, with nothing to hold onto but the back of the seat. I was fine with it, but I could understand people not wanting to stand on it on their way to work.

yep.

^^ wait, that's the word response you didn't want... lol

Seriously though, this is the main stance I originally (and still continue to) hold, when I first participated in this thread... I think this simple point has gotten lost in translation at time, so to speak, with the excitement of pinning/comparing locals to expresses throughout this discussion (myself included)....

I hate to make it seem like I'm playin the fence, but for me, it isn't really about better or worse.

if you ask me, every RTS suburban we have in our system resemble "hand me downs".... for the life of me, I have not been on one of them things where either a particular seat didn't recline at all, the seat reclined on some obtuse angle - almost touching the seat behind, or the material under the seat cover being sprinkled all over that area of the bus....

^^ This.

the yellow cabs jimmy the meter every so often anyway, especially when they know they're gunning for tourists....

anyway, in this city, we're either gonna have to put up with (base) fare increases every couple years, or the introduction of a zone based fare (which'll still end up increasing anyway, just not at the same rate)...

choose... poison... wisely

But that is the point, express buses are still a bargain, no matter which way you look at it (whether you use the zoned fare argument, or the cost of express buses vs. cost of driving argument)

Because I think some folks are misinformed on some things about express buses. SRO is a good example... Express buses and local buses are two completely different things and as I said before, they were not created for people to be standing on them like local buses or subways. That's why I said to checkmate that he's comparing apples to oranges.

The aisles are extremely narrow on express buses and as B35 pointed out there is really nothing to hold on to and feel reality safe with the bus jerking and such and hitting bumps along the expressway. Dare I say it, but it can downright painful standing on those express buses and I will never do it again unless it is an outright necessity. When I'm on an express bus and it is SRO, I really feel for those guys because I know how tough it is and usually that's when the traffic is the worse.

Mind you I ALWAYS stand on the subway and local bus for half an hour at a time in some cases and that's because #1) I'm used to standing and more importantly #2) there's actually places to hold on to accordingly and room to stand so that you can balance yourself properly should the bus or subway stop suddenly. You don't really have that with the express bus.

See my earlier post about the cost of services vs. the value of the service.

Not only a few 'express buses' service should be reduced i.e BM4, BXM2 being the best examples, the (MTA) in next order of buses should just buy regular 40-foot with cushion that someone posted before that was "RTS" for many years prior to arrival of the MCI's.

Unfortunately we're having a Prevost X3-45 order coming in...but yeah these over-the-road coaches are overkill, I'm sorry. Even FG said that he would take an Orion 5 or RTS, or even a NG, as long as they had suburban seating. The LFS is a sleek and stylish bus and I don't see anything wrong with ordering those for use on express lines. The MCIs are costly. I'm sorry but how far does the MTA have to go to "comfort" their riders and it's costing them year after year after year? It's part of the reason why we fall into these budget Deficits in the first place...the MTA doesn't know how to use their money.

Unfortunately we're having a Prevost X3-45 order coming in...but yeah these over-the-road coaches are overkill, I'm sorry. Even FG said that he would take an Orion 5 or RTS, or even a NG, as long as they had suburban seating. The LFS is a sleek and stylish bus and I don't see anything wrong with ordering those for use on express lines. The MCIs are costly. I'm sorry but how far does the MTA have to go to "comfort" their riders and it's costing them year after year after year? It's part of the reason why we fall into these budget Deficits in the first place...the MTA doesn't know how to use their money.

Agree young man. Not trying to pit boro vs boro but the MCI's and the upcoming 'new' Prevost' should be used only on a few high usage Bronx and SI express routes like the X1, X10, X17 and BXM7 for instance.

MCIs, nor the future Prevosts shouldn't be on every express bus route. Some express bus rides are pretty quick. Take the BxM7 for example... when there's no traffic, it is less than an hour: shorter than a trip from one end of the Bronx to another on a plain old Orion VII NG.

I don't feel like the accommodations for a daily commute should be too luxurious.

Agree young man. Not trying to pit boro vs boro but the MCI's and the upcoming 'new' Prevost' should be used only on a few high usage Bronx and SI express routes like the X1, X10, X17 and BXM7 for instance.

I mean they have overhead lights, cushioned seats that recline and air control... The NJTransit coach buses that provide express bus service have the same exact thing and the lines that I take in NJ cost far less than the MTA express buses do.

Check this out (not my pics):

novalfssub.jpg

novalfssubintr.jpg

novalfssubintf.jpg

Hey MTA, I know you read these boards. Consider a suburban LFS for the express lines other than those bulky over-the-road gas-guzzling coaches for a change. A sleek bus with stylish-looking aesthetics both the outside AND the inside: luggage racks (just like MCIs), bright lighting (better than MCIs), soft seats (like MCI), and not to mention, CARPET flooring (hmmm...do you have these, MCI?)!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Check this out (not my pics):

novalfssub.jpg

novalfssubintr.jpg

novalfssubintf.jpg

Hey MTA, I know you read these boards. Consider a suburban LFS for the express lines other than those bulky over-the-road gas-guzzling coaches for a change. A sleek bus with stylish-looking aesthetics both the outside AND the inside: luggage racks (just like MCIs), bright lighting (better than MCIs), soft seats (like MCI), and not to mention, CARPET flooring (hmmm...do you have these, MCI?)!!! :cool::cool::cool:

These buses are hideous and those seats look tight to sit in. And why does everyone keep saying that MCIs are gas guzzlers? It's already been established in this thread I believe that they are just as efficient on gas as the other fleet, so that is not a good argument.

Soft seats with hard backs that don't recline?? I prefer the MCIs by a mile.

MCIs, nor the future Prevosts shouldn't be on every express bus route. Some express bus rides are pretty quick. Take the BxM7 for example... when there's no traffic, it is less than an hour: shorter than a trip from one end of the Bronx to another on a plain old Orion VII NG.

I don't feel like the accommodations for a daily commute should be too luxurious.

There is nothing "luxurious" about express buses. The way you talk, you'd think they have bathrooms on them with folks serving us food. They are standard coach buses that many other transportation systems offer for suburban commuters.

The problem here is that you folks are just jealous because you ride the local bus so you want everyone to follow suit. It's like the guy that drives a Ford and is envious of the dude that drives a Porsche. I drive a Ford so he should drive one too. :P Those who can afford a premium service are entitled to have it and those who don't like it. Too bad.

There is nothing "luxurious" about express buses. The way you talk, you'd think they have bathrooms on them with folks serving us food. They are standard coach buses that many other transportation systems offer for suburban commuters.

The problem here is that you folks are just jealous because you ride the local bus so you want everyone to follow suit. It's like the guy that drives a Ford and is envious of the dude that drives a Porsche. I drive a Ford so he should drive one too. :P Those who can afford a premium service are entitled to have it and those who don't like it. Too bad.

Only issue with that argument is, we the taxpayers subsidize your express buses (that are more wasteful than local buses) thru the city of NY. So yes, I care about waste.

Once again, I will inject some important facts here, as I have done multiple times. Listen closely here, folks---the MCIs cost the same amount, if not less, than the hybrid buses, (appx. 500,000 per bus) and actually are more fuel efficient than the rts buses. They seem to have the lifespans of the other buses, as well, and hold 57 passengers, making them very efficient. In terms of replacement parts, the mta pays pretty outrageous prices for the other types of buses from what o have heard and read, so I doubt the MCIs cost much more to maintain, though I have never seen an actual cost breakdown of mainenance fees by bus type.

Only issue with that argument is, we the taxpayers subsidize your express buses (that are more wasteful than local buses) thru the city of NY. So yes, I care about waste.

I'm a taxpayer too... If you were really so concerned about waste you wouldn't be singling out express buses. There are certainly other areas where the MTA wastes at so spare me. There are plenty of "wasteful local buses" too incase you forgot.

I'll be framing this one.

Sorry to inform you, but I couldn't care less that you're on an express bus. I know, it's really disappointing, but frankly, we're not at all envious of you.

Then you would stop going on and on about express buses and how wasteful they are. I've seen several comments about them not being fuel efficient when in fact they are. If you guys are going to make arguments for the express bus being wasteful, at least come up with real facts instead of BS lies. You guys can BS all you want, but I know the real deal. I would respect you guys more if you'd just be honest.

I'm a taxpayer too... If you were really so concerned about waste you wouldn't be singling out express buses. There are certainly other areas where the MTA wastes at so spare me.

Just because not only express buses are guilty does not mean that they are not guilty. We have to start somewhere.

Suppose the (MTA), crying poverty once again, substituted standard yellow school buses on these routes for a month? Buses running the same routes, making the same stops, running at the same frequency and charged the same fare. Or, run regular (NYCT) buses in place of the coaches they run now. What I'm trying to get at is it the time saved vs local commutation or is because of the equipment used? What justifies the fare cost? I realize the S.I. express commute is like no other but when one bandies about the terms "luxurious" and "premium" and basically tells the rest of the residents, who are subsidizing this "luxury" service, to STFU that's going a little too far. No one was forced to take up residence in a borough with poor transportation options in the first place. I , for one, believe that quite a few S.I. residents moved to get away from certain elements yet those same elements are subsidizing your commute. I think that if it's the case then the (MTA) and the subsidy providers have a whole lot to say about express bus routes in the city.

These buses are hideous and those seats look tight to sit in. And why does everyone keep saying that MCIs are gas guzzlers? It's already been established in this thread I believe that they are just as efficient on gas as the other fleet, so that is not a good argument.

Soft seats with hard backs that don't recline?? I prefer the MCIs by a mile.

The MTA can order seats for these buses so they can recline (if it makes you feel any better).

I really don't see the big deal with using different fleet for express service other than a coach bus. Think past the RTS/Orion 5s for a second...are you forgetting that the MTA used GMC Fishbowls and Flxibles for express service? Did they have personal lighting like the D4500s do? No, they did not. And I don't recall hearing those passengers grumbling about it either.

I really think that we've become too spoiled for our own good these days. I'm not saying I hate the D4500s but I'm sorry, they are overkill for a lot of routes that are not even full, which is why a lot of routes need to be reworked (notice I didn't say "cut" because I wouldn't want to have a route cut outright). However, at the cost of the MTA, service may have to be slightly reduced, even if it means changing the fleet used on express runs. While the service may have to be reduced, at the same time I wouldn't go all out on replacing the buses with something inferior like the Orion 5 Suburbans which you say you don't like (I honestly don't see a problem with the Orion 5 Suburban as they seem comfortable to me, but we're all entitled to our opinions). Not to mention that they deadhead back to their depots empty. There are some drivers who have straight shifts and not split shifts (straight shift drivers work a standard eight hours while split shift drivers tend to work during the rush hours on the express routes) which accounts to diesel fuel being wasted in New Jersey and Brooklyn when Staten Island buses have to deadhead back to Castleton, Charleston, Meredith or Yukon. And you cannot just say that the buses should pick up passengers on the way back to the depot because they would be delayed as they have to be back at the depot by a certain time.

The new diesel (NOT hybrid, just clean-diesel) buses that we are receiving (New Flyer D40LF, Orion 7.501 Third Generation and NovaBus LFS 40-footers) I believe are all going to be EPA 2010 certified meaning they would be more efficient to run than a standard coach bus, and more efficient to run that the current buses we have, local or express types. In addition these buses cost less to order.

I don't necessarily see the use of local buses for express runs as a means of "robbing" the passenger for their $5.50...there's a reason why they produce a suburban model in tandem with their standard model...they just change the amenities around to make the express riders feel just as comfortable as they would be if riding a a coach bus.

Replies in blue.

At all of the other express bus haters in here. This is why I argue that it's nothing but jealousy because half of their reasons for their dislike of express buses have no basis. All I'm saying is produce actual legitimate reasons for it and then I'd be fine. So far I've seen very few and that's why Forest Glen got so pissed. Me personally I'm up for the debate because I want to expose these guys for what their real reason is.

Suppose the (MTA), crying poverty once again, substituted standard yellow school buses on these routes for a month? Buses running the same routes, making the same stops, running at the same frequency and charged the same fare. Or, run regular (NYCT) buses in place of the coaches they run now. What I'm trying to get at is it the time saved vs local commutation or is because of the equipment used? What justifies the fare cost? I realize the S.I. express commute is like no other but when one bandies about the terms "luxurious" and "premium" and basically tells the rest of the residents, who are subsidizing this "luxury" service, to STFU that's going a little too far. No one was forced to take up residence in a borough with poor transportation options in the first place. I , for one, believe that quite a few S.I. residents moved to get away from certain elements yet those same elements are subsidizing your commute. I think that if it's the case then the (MTA) and the subsidy providers have a whole lot to say about express bus routes in the city.

I don't consider the express bus to be "luxurious" because quite frankly it isn't, and you guys keep complaining about the MCIs, but NJTransit uses coach buses with the same layout, so what is the big deal???? There is nothing wrong with MCIs.

The express bus is a premium service, that's a fact, not something I made up. Maybe the problem is that you guys are trying to pinpoint why they're so expensive to run???

It's not the fuel nor the buses themselves because if that were the case, they wouldn't have considered using the double decker buses. Also, not all express buses are wasteful. I think we've already pinpointed why the cost is so high and it has to do with buses deadheading back after one run (in some cases usually during rush hours) BUT NOT ALWAYS.

With regards to people moving to areas with limited transportation, we all pay taxes and all should have mass transit options in ALL 5 BOROUGHS. Why should Staten Islanders and others in the Northern parts of the Bronx, Eastern parts of Queens and Southern parts of Brooklyn not have transit options because there aren't subways? It's the MTA that provides limited local bus service to many of these areas and/or no subway, so as a result folks take the express bus. That's not our problem, but the MTA's problem.

Many of you would bitch if a subway was actually considered because it would cost several times more than the express bus or you'd say it isn't needed, so you can't have it both ways.

Lay off of the express bus already and find something else to complain about.

At all of the other express bus haters in here. This is why I argue that it's nothing but jealousy because half of their reasons for their dislike of express buses have no basis. All I'm saying is produce actual legitimate reasons for it and then I'd be fine. So far I've seen very few and that's why Forest Glen got so pissed. Me personally I'm up for the debate because I want to expose these guys for what their real reason is.

He's just a stuck up jackass who gets mad when nobody is on his side or if anyone disagrees with him, then gets called out for his one-word responses....

As for everyone else's reasons, I'm pretty sure their reasons are quite clear about what they like and dislike about Express Bus services.

Now I believe that this thread has gone its length and needs to be :lock:, it was good at first but now its just one sided bullshit.

He's just a stuck up jackass who gets mad when nobody is on his side or if anyone disagrees with him, then gets called out for his one-word responses....

As for everyone else's reasons, I'm pretty sure their reasons are quite clear about what they like and dislike about Express Bus services.

Now I believe that this thread has gone its length and needs to be :lock:, it was good at first but now its just one sided bullshit.

We've already identified why they cost more than the local bus and ideas have been thrown around about how to minimize that. I'll end by saying that if local buses can be wasted then so can express buses. Also, the buses should be the same so that all express bus riders have the same comfortable ride, seeing that they're all paying the same price. Case closed. :cool:

Archived