If you could change one thing about one bus route in each borough, what would you change?

Baseball02

2. Restore (Bx55) weekend service and extend it to Park Av/East 125th St, replacing the (Bx15) in part of Manhattan.

3. Extend the (M35) west to West 125th St/12th Av and cut the (Bx15) back to 3rd Av/138th St (6) station, replaced by (Bx55) and (M35) in Harlem.

Why? It would be better to:

Kill the (Bx55)

Make a (Bx15) LCL/LTD.

Both Local and Limited would make the run from 125th St/12th Av to Gun Hill Road. Some would shorturn making only 149th St to Gun Hill or 125th Street to Fordham Plaza.

I got more:

Restore weekend service on the (Bx34)

Restore weekend service on the (M8), (M21) and (M50)

Extend the (Q112) to Euclid Av

Create a new route to serve Baychester Av

Implement LTD stop service on the N4

Implement SBS on the BL-21

That's all I can think of now

Why? It would be better to:

Kill the (Bx55)

Make a (Bx15) LCL/LTD.

Both Local and Limited would make the run from 125th St/12th Av to Gun Hill Road. Some would shorturn making only 149th St to Gun Hill or 125th Street to Fordham Plaza.

It wouldn't be better. I have the M35 replace the Bx15 on 125th St since the Bx15 gets delayed there and it could concentrate on its Bronx service.

As for the Bx55, it would go to Manhattan (only making one stop, 125th/Park) since it is the LTD, thus improving local service on 3rd Av in the process.

This would provide a better chance for both routes to be interlined, most likely out of Kingsbridge or West Farms.

Basically those are so that express bus riders can transfer to other express buses. You'd probably be surprised how many people transfer from one express bus to another, but it happens a lot especially over by Fingerboard Road. The old timers basically know all of the express bus transfer points (the official and unofficial ones). To clear up your confusion here are the ones that I know of officially and unofficially:

1. Narrows Road North at Fingerboard Road AND Narrows Road North at Hylan Blvd, although most just get off and on at Fingerboard to make the switch. I've never seen anyone get on at Hylan. They probably are afraid that the express bus wouldn't stop.

2. Narrows Road South at Fingerboard Road AND Narrows Road South at Hylan Blvd, although most just get off at Hylan Blvd to make the switch since that's usually where most of the crowding is and they'll more likely to get a seat incase the bus is SRO.

3. Another one that I see happens in the city. Some people will get on at the first drop off stop because the buses usually empty out there which means they don't have to worry about crowding issues and also they have more options should their bus not come. Before the cuts I used to see people do it with the X1, but it also has become popular with the X14 too since it now stops Downtown, does the semi-loop and then heads to Midtown. The ones in the city are unofficial ones since theoretically they are "Drop-Off" only stops, but most B/Os know the deal. :cool:

As far as express bus riders go, they know they can basically get off at any point during which the express bus picks up passengers to transfer. For example I have missed express buses, gotten on other express buses to chase the other down, then get off and get the other one. Sometimes you may get a look, but quite frankly I could give two f*cks. :P

Also, there are those who will get on in the city to take the express bus Downtown because they don't want to deal with the subway, then they'll get off and they'll get the look. If I'm in a rush or don't feel like dealing with crowded local buses or subways, I do it too. Much more comfortable, especially during the rush hour. That's why I love having the unlimited card and I use it every chance I can to ride the express bus and get my $50.00 worth. :cool:

The other express bus transfer points you mentioned make sense because X10 and X17 riders interchange quite a bit. I mean theoretically, someone from Port Richmond could hop on the X10, take that down to Richmond Ave for a good 5 minutes or so where the X10 meets up with the X17 and then get on the X17C and be in the city in 20 minutes. I used to take car service over to the X17 on Saturdays and it was great that way, but now I find the X1 to be just about as quick and it also comes more often. :cool:

Those transfer points are in the outbound direction, so they can't be used by customers heading to Manhattan, unless what you said works both ways.

For example, on the X12/X42 going towards Richmond Terrace, there is a stop at South Avenue/Forest Avenue. So, if I understand you correctly, riders from the X30 can transfer there if they live towards Arlington.

LOL! I remember I got on the X10 by the Todt Hill projects and Manor Road...only to get off and get on the S79 to get to Brooklyn.

What a waste of $5.50 that was...oh well! Lol

Technically, it was only a waste of $3.25, since you would've had to pay $2.25 if you took the S62 to the S53.

They could have just combined the Bx23/24 instead of having two different routes. Some buses could short-run at Pelham Bay Park to avoid having so many buses in Country Club and the NIMBYs

Agreed. It would give Country Club access to Bay Plaza. The only problem might be that they don't want people from Co-Op City having access to their neighborhood.

Let's see I keep it to only 10 choices.

1)Revive and bring back weekday service on the B39 and B51.

2)Restore B64 to/from Stillwell Avenue and allow an additional 'free' transfer transfering between the B1 and B64 at 13rd Avenue/86th Street.

3)Make the S79 have hourly service overnights creating 30-minute headways along main part of Hylan between Clove Road and Richmond Avenue with the (S78). Also rush hour limited stop service on the (S79) as well.

4)Restore Saturday X27/28 Hourly service running from about 7am-9pm Saturdays.

5)M104 East Side service to the United Nations restored at least weekdays appx. 6am-11pm.

6)Extend the (Q104)via the B24 Greenpoint Ave and run it between Manhattan Ave/Greenpoint (G) station and Astoria.

6a)The B24 runs between 61st/Woodside and Williamsburg Plaza via Koscicho (Sp)Bridge.

7)Extend the (BM3) to Kingsborough Community College. Also create a BM3a sub branch as peak hour direction replaceent to the (X29). The BM3a would run between West 5th St/Surf Ave and 57th St via West 5th, Neptune, Emmons and Ocean via current BM3 route.

8)End Saturday (BM4) service.

9)Create a new Q94 weekday only service between Flushing (Main/Roosevelt)and Riverdale Ave/231 St.

10)New Route between Elizabeth (NJT)Station and Eligntville TC via Gothehals Bridge.

I have more but those 10 suggestions are what the (MTA) should start on IMO, right away.

Feel free to reply.:eek:

1) I would bring back the B39 as a branch of the M15, and the B51 as an extension of the B65. I don't think they can survive as standalone routes.

2) Agree

3) I would bring back overnight S59 service first.

4) Agree

5) I don't know how crowded the M42 is getting, but, unless it is really crowded, I don't see the need. It is frequent enough that they won't have to wait long to make the transfer.

6) That requires some manuevering near Queens Blvd/48th Street, but I agree.

7) Agree. It would help to serve Manhattan Beach.

8) Agree

9) What would be the routing?

10) Agree.

1. Extend the (Q18) south to Ridgewood Terminal via 69th St-Forest Av.

2. Restore (Bx55) weekend service and extend it to Park Av/East 125th St, replacing the (Bx15) in part of Manhattan.

3. Extend the (M35) west to West 125th St/12th Av and cut the (Bx15) back to 3rd Av/138th St (6) station, replaced by (Bx55) and (M35) in Harlem.

4. Restore the (B64) to Coney Island.

1) I think the Metropolitan Avenue (M) station is sufficient.

3) I think just think the Bx15/Bx55 should be swapped. There is no point in cutting access to the Bronx from 125th Street.

1. Agree, but it should be fully restored, evening during weekends.

2. Agree... Full restoration of the B64. The current route is ridiculous and as I said in a previous post, nothing more than an attempt to axe that route completely.

3. Agree.

4. Agree partially... Make 1 hour headways, but let it run like the other express buses, which all run until about midnight on Saturdays and it can start at 6am.

5. Agree partially... Restore all M104 service including weekends... Ending at 42nd street is completely stupid as I've said before. Big mistake by the MTA. :tdown:

7. Leave the BM3 as is... Those who really want the BM3 will get to it, trust me. And why the extension to Kingsborough College??? Pardon me for saying this but we BM3 riders could do without any riff raff from the college. They can take the B1 and B49 as they have been. B)

8. Disagree... :tdown: Leave the BM4 alone already. It already starts later and ends earlier than all the BM1, BM2 and BM3 which run near it and it only has hour headways.

10. New route for??? What's wrong with the S89??

7) The BM3 would serve Manhattan Beach. Right now, they have to take the B49 and risk missing the BM3.

8) It has the lowest ridership out of all of the Brooklyn bus routes.

10) It would serve Elizabeth. The S89 serves Bayonne.

I got more:

Restore weekend service on the (Bx34)

Restore weekend service on the (M8), (M21) and (M50)

Extend the (Q112) to Euclid Av

Create a new route to serve Baychester Av

Implement LTD stop service on the N4

Implement SBS on the BL-21

That's all I can think of now

I would rather extend the Bx16 to Fordham Road and just eliminate the Bx34.

I don't think that is necessary. Riders already can transfer to the (A) at Rockaway Blvd.

M27: Revive the service for part-time on weekdays. The M27 alleviated the big crowds on the 49th/50th Street crosstown and M104.

M30: Revive it, too, for alleviation purposes. The hours become 6 AM to 10 AM and 3:30 PM to 8 PM to help the crowds on Madison/5 Avs. and 57th/72nd Streets. The M30 was really busy the last I saw it, so the M30 would really help.

B64: Repeating it. Extend it BACK to the Stillwell Avenue Station. Cutting off to Bath Beach was a really stupid mistake on the MTA's part.

B4: Extend it back to Knapp Street full-time.

Bx13: Make the part-time extension to Elton Avenue full-time.

Bx55: Revive weekend service and full-time extension to Gunhill Road.

B51: Revive it and add weekend service.

B39: Revive it and make it full-time.

B38: Limited service to Metropolitan Avenue.

BxM7A: Add some more rush-hour express service to City Island.

X37/38: Revive it, weekday service only.

Q89: Revive it, make the service ADA-compatible, connect the service to Jamaica Center, extend it to the Rockaway Parkway Station, and restructure the horrid schedule.

B100: A Kings Plaza branch on weekends and weekday rush hours to help supplement the B2.

B24: Revive weekend schedule.

B3: Extend it back to E. 73rd Street and Avenue X to help out the Bergen Beach residents.

B12 (Liberty Avenue branch): Revived as a new route that extends down Broadway to Bridge Plaza.

B47: Limited-stop service only, its local version split back into the B40 and B78 (the latter's terminal ending at Ralph Avenue instead of Rutland Road)

B71/B77: Revive 'em and extend them to South Ferry.

Rather than end it at Elton Av, have it run one more block to 3rd Av for transfer to the Bx15/21/55. Although most eastbound Bx13's end at 3rd Av, some westbound often start at Elton Av, often bypassing the crowds coming from the Bx15/21/55.

Those transfer points are in the outbound direction, so they can't be used by customers heading to Manhattan, unless what you said works both ways.

For example, on the X12/X42 going towards Richmond Terrace, there is a stop at South Avenue/Forest Avenue. So, if I understand you correctly, riders from the X30 can transfer there if they live towards Arlington.

Technically, it was only a waste of $3.25, since you would've had to pay $2.25 if you took the S62 to the S53.

Agreed. It would give Country Club access to Bay Plaza. The only problem might be that they don't want people from Co-Op City having access to their neighborhood.

1) I would bring back the B39 as a branch of the M15, and the B51 as an extension of the B65. I don't think they can survive as standalone routes.

2) Agree

4) Agree

5) I don't know how crowded the M42 is getting, but, unless it is really crowded, I don't see the need. It is frequent enough that they won't have to wait long to make the transfer.

8) Agree

10) Agree.

3) I think just think the Bx15/Bx55 should be swapped. There is no point in cutting access to the Bronx from 125th Street.

7) The BM3 would serve Manhattan Beach. Right now, they have to take the B49 and risk missing the BM3.

I don't think that is necessary. Riders already can transfer to the (A) at Rockaway Blvd.

7. I get on at the first stop on the BM3 often. No one is coming from Manhattan Beach to catch the BM3... :P They're far more likely to take the B1 or B49 to the subway.

8. And so?? We've been through this countless times. It's been cut enough. Let it be. :eek:

Regarding the X12, I didn't talk about that one because quite frankly there is no point of transferring from the X30 to the X12, BUT theoretically you could take the X30 down Forest and Richmond and catch the X12 going Downtown. Most folks would just take the X30 and then hop on the subway Uptown or Downtown at Times Square. Much quicker that way.

Oh and regarding the M104, believe me it is needed. The transfer is such an inconvenience and so annoying and the M42 can be flaky, so they need the M104.

2) Agree

4) Agree

8) Agree

10) Agree.

For Country club, as long as their neighborhood is the terminal/starting point for the route, they probably wouldn't mind. When the Bx8 ran through there, they were concerned about those from Eastern Throggs Neck, Edgewater, and Locust Point passing through their area en route to the (6) train.

As for the Bx15/55, I did it for the routes to improve its Bronx service. Ending the Bx55 at Park Av/125th St would allow for transfers.

And for the Q18, I sent it to Ridgewood in hopes for service between the Brooklyn/Queens border and Roosevelt Avenue, although I hoped to send it to Jackson Heights somehow.

Would the following be logical:

Building a "transit center" for express buses only near the Verrazano, with all SI express routes dumping passengers there and other buses picking them up and going to their Manhattan destinations. This would allow for significant cost savings, as the MTA would not run half-empty buses to Manhattan. Transferring at this center would NOT involve dipping a Metrocard.

Building a "transit center" for express buses only near the Verrazano, with all SI express routes dumping passengers there and other buses picking them up and going to their Manhattan destinations. This would allow for significant cost savings, as the MTA would not run half-empty buses to Manhattan. Transferring at this center would NOT involve dipping a Metrocard.

I don't see the point in this at all. There aren't any express buses running half empty during rush hour these days either... Most express buses would still dead head back to their depots. What they should do more of is keeping the express buses at MJQ and letting them layover there until the rush starts up and let some of the others make runs back to Staten Island. :cool:

M27: Revive the service for part-time on weekdays. The M27 alleviated the big crowds on the 49th/50th Street crosstown and M104.

M30: Revive it, too, for alleviation purposes. The hours become 6 AM to 10 AM and 3:30 PM to 8 PM to help the crowds on Madison/5 Avs. and 57th/72nd Streets. The M30 was really busy the last I saw it, so the M30 would really help.

B64: Repeating it. Extend it BACK to the Stillwell Avenue Station. Cutting off to Bath Beach was a really stupid mistake on the MTA's part.

B4: Extend it back to Knapp Street full-time.

Bx55: Revive weekend service and full-time extension to Gunhill Road.

B51: Revive it and add weekend service.

B39: Revive it and make it full-time.

B38: Limited service to Metropolitan Avenue.

BxM7A: Add some more rush-hour express service to City Island.

X37/38: Revive it, weekday service only.

Q89: Revive it, make the service ADA-compatible, connect the service to Jamaica Center, extend it to the Rockaway Parkway Station, and restructure the horrid schedule.

B100: A Kings Plaza branch on weekends and weekday rush hours to help supplement the B2.

B24: Revive weekend schedule.

B3: Extend it back to E. 73rd Street and Avenue X to help out the Bergen Beach residents.

B12 (Liberty Avenue branch): Revived as a new route that extends down Broadway to Bridge Plaza.

B47: Limited-stop service only, its local version split back into the B40 and B78 (the latter's terminal ending at Ralph Avenue instead of Rutland Road)

B71/B77: Revive 'em and extend them to South Ferry.

I don't think the B51 needs weekend service.

The B39 was already full time when it ran.

How would you extend it? Would you send it down to North Conduit Avenue and then send it across Linden Blvd?

I think that, if any route needs to serve Liberty Avenue, it should just be the B12. The route you described would parallel the (J).

I think the B71 should be sufficient. I think the B77 works well being merged with the B61.

7. I get on at the first stop on the BM3 often. No one is coming from Manhattan Beach to catch the BM3... :P They're far more likely to take the B1 or B49 to the subway.

8. And so?? We've been through this countless times. It's been cut enough. Let it be. :eek:

Regarding the X12, I didn't talk about that one because quite frankly there is no point of transferring from the X30 to the X12, BUT theoretically you could take the X30 down Forest and Richmond and catch the X12 going Downtown. Most folks would just take the X30 and then hop on the subway Uptown or Downtown at Times Square. Much quicker that way.

Oh and regarding the M104, believe me it is needed. The transfer is such an inconvenience and so annoying and the M42 can be flaky, so they need the M104.

8) You still haven't convinced me, so we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I can't really see people taking the X30 to the X12 from points east. Maybe they'd take it to the X14 if they were coming from points east of Manor Road, but not the X12.

In any case, can you theoretically transfer from the X30 to the X12/X42 going to Arlington, since they put that sign up?

If that transit center were to be built, you would have to have people swipe a MetroCard to get in, since otherwise, people can just get on the express bus for free.

Since the service reductions have occurred, I don't think there are a whole lot of half-empty buses going to Manhattan.

I don't see the point in this at all. There aren't any express buses running half empty during rush hour these days either... Most express buses would still dead head back to their depots. What they should do more of is keeping the express buses at MJQ and letting them layover there until the rush starts up and let some of the others make runs back to Staten Island. :cool:

Agreed.

I don't think the B51 needs weekend service.

The B39 was already full time when it ran.

How would you extend it? Would you send it down to North Conduit Avenue and then send it across Linden Blvd?

I think that, if any route needs to serve Liberty Avenue, it should just be the B12. The route you described would parallel the (J).

I think the B71 should be sufficient. I think the B77 works well being merged with the B61.

8) You still haven't convinced me, so we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I can't really see people taking the X30 to the X12 from points east. Maybe they'd take it to the X14 if they were coming from points east of Manor Road, but not the X12.

In any case, can you theoretically transfer from the X30 to the X12/X42 going to Arlington, since they put that sign up?

If that transit center were to be built, you would have to have people swipe a MetroCard to get in, since otherwise, people can just get on the express bus for free.

Since the service reductions have occurred, I don't think there are a whole lot of half-empty buses going to Manhattan.

Agreed.

Actually, I take that back about the X12... Previously I only thought about the X12 starting at Forest and South Ave. and I forgot that some runs start at South Avenue near Richmond Terrace, so in theory, yes. You could take the X12 from South Avenue to Forest Avenue, get off at South and Forest and transfer to the X30 going via New Jersey. That would be a much quicker ride than taking the X12 to Midtown or even the X42.

Regarding the X30 to the X14 connection, yes, you have displaced X16 riders that I see that take the X30 down Forest to the X14...

Regarding the M104, I'm not going by facts and figures buddy. I'm going by personal observations and experience. I know what the MTA thought...

They always ran shabby service on the M42 and a lot of that was due to the terrible traffic coming up to Times Square. The M104 helped with the M42 backlogs coming crosstown since it sort of avoids the killer traffic to a degree when it turned on to 42nd. Traffic eases up a bit at times during the day once you get past 6th Avenue. This meant that more people would jump on the M104 since it came frequently and the M42 was so slow, often late and MIA. My feeling is that the MTA wanted to boost ridership on the M42, so they cut the M104 for that purpose. Now there's a lot of M42s but they all start from the Pier so with the traffic, they are all crowded and bunched together by the time they reach Times Square. You also don't realize the amount of riders that get on the M42 at Port Authority. There are often 3 buses lined up there picking up the endless lines of people, so the bus is always packed by the time it reaches Times Square for that reason also. Then you have the tourists getting on at Times Square... The M104 wasn't as packed coming down to 42nd and it eased crowding as a result AND eliminated the need to wait for that stupid connection. You may think that the connection isn't that bad, but traffic over there is a mess, so like I said the M104 should be reinstated back to the U.N. :cool: :tup:

One thing about a current route in each borough....

Brooklyn

RTS CNG Command already said it... put the B64 back @ Mermaid terminal....

Standing inside the terminal, you feel like something is missing.. and the B64 is it.

Besides, why have a 3rd bus terminate at Ulmer Park...

If that means putting the B82 back where it was, just off the corner of stillwell & surf, then so be it....

The Bronx

It actually/already came true with the Bx4a....

Manhattan

Have most M5's throughout the day run nonstop on Riverside drive....

Staten Island

well, I would reconfigure both the x23 & x24 routes... but for the purpose of the thread...

Shorten the x24 to Richmond av/Hylan Blvd... keep the route (solely) serving the south shore in SI.....

Queens

Q19: Flushing - Main st Station to Astoria blvd (N)(Q)

via LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal...

comment on these if y'all want...

i'll get to some of the ones I've seen so far, later....

One thing about a current route in each borough....

Brooklyn

RTS CNG Command already said it... put the B64 back @ Mermaid terminal....

Standing inside the terminal, you feel like something is missing.. and the B64 is it.

Besides, why have a 3rd bus terminate at Ulmer Park...

If that means putting the B82 back where it was, just off the corner of stillwell & surf, then so be it....

The Bronx

It actually/already came true with the Bx4a....

Manhattan

Have most M5's throughout the day run nonstop on Riverside drive....

Staten Island

well, I would reconfigure both the x23 & x24 routes... but for the purpose of the thread...

Shorten the x24 to Richmond av/Hylan Blvd... keep the route (solely) serving the south shore in SI.....

Queens

Q19: Flushing - Main st Station to Astoria blvd (N)(Q)

via LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal...

comment on these if y'all want...

i'll get to some of the ones I've seen so far, later....

I disagree on the X23/X24... The South Shore already has more express bus service than the North Shore. We can't afford anymore reduced express bus service or lack of express bus options.

Q58: Reroute northern terminal in Flushing from 41th Road to Roosevelt Avenue to partially match Q48 routing and provide additional service to Skyview Center - In other words, bus would travel north on College Point Boulevard and turn right onto Roosevelt Avenue before turning onto 39th Avenue via Main Street and then turn south onto College Point Boulevard. (BTW, has anyone ever formally submitted this proposal to the MTA for consideration?)

Q79: Reinstate and expand service beyond original levels. Also consider extending southern terminal to another LIRR station (Queens Village?)

Create a through route on the LIE. It would run between Queens Center and Great Neck Station.

Revive the Q89 and extend it westward to the Rockaway Blvd (A) station.

Implement overnight service on the (Q22)

Any repilies? I made other lists in this thread too

I have multiple ideas per borough but to stick with the purpose of the topic right now, here are my views.

Brooklyn: Bring the B4 to the Sheepshead Bay station on off peak hours instead of the current oddball terminal at Coney Island Av.

Manhattan: Bring back the M6. The current M5 is ridiculously long.

Queens: The Q43 limited could start at 169 St instead of 179 St since you have enough routes to cover this portion, especially the Q1 and to a extent the Q36.

Bronx: To bring back some ridership on the Bx55, flipping the south terminals with the Bx15 could help and weekend service would be restored while keeping the Gun Hill Rd section weekdays only. The 55 runs to 125 St during the day and on late evenings and nights the 15 runs to 125 St. The 15 could run to 136 St instead of the Hub and late night hourly service to Manhattan will be preserved.

Staten Island: Restore the X1 back to the old pattern.

I disagree on the X23/X24... The South Shore already has more express bus service than the North Shore. We can't afford anymore reduced express bus service or lack of express bus options.

of course you do... and that's fine...

I will say though, you can give that cliched reason for any decrease in service....

you can make this a north shore vs south shore thing if you want...

I'm talkin route specific - the x24 has been long under-utilized past that aforementioned intersection...

...and I'm goin by experiences & personal observation as well....

...and in conjunction with the above, when you have a AE x24 driver (who actually thought buses should discharge pax no further than Arden/Hylan), that says enough....

of course you do... and that's fine...

I will say though, you can give that cliched reason for any decrease in service....

you can make this a north shore vs south shore thing if you want...

I'm talkin route specific - the x24 has been long under-utilized past that aforementioned intersection...

...and I'm goin by experiences & personal observation as well....

...and in conjunction with the above, when you have a AE x24 driver (who actually thought buses should discharge pax no further than Arden/Hylan), that says enough....

Yeah, I'm only making that argument for the reason I mentioned previously. The consensus at the MTA is that North Shore residents have it easier because we're closer to the ferry, but that's a false analogy. The commute would still be at least one hour and twenty minutes each way and that's on a good day. On a bad day it can be up to two hours, so our commute is just as bad as the South Shore.

Oh an on the M5 suggestion, they should restore the M6. The M5 is too flaky and too overcrowded now.

I didn't want to start a separate thread for this, but I went to the MTA's website and noticed that they cut a few of the QM21's runs. It runs every half hour during rush hour and the last bus leaves the city at 9:10 PM (the last bus used to be 11:10). I can't complain since the buses were always half empty.

Actually, I take that back about the X12... Previously I only thought about the X12 starting at Forest and South Ave. and I forgot that some runs start at South Avenue near Richmond Terrace, so in theory, yes. You could take the X12 from South Avenue to Forest Avenue, get off at South and Forest and transfer to the X30 going via New Jersey. That would be a much quicker ride than taking the X12 to Midtown or even the X42.

Regarding the X30 to the X14 connection, yes, you have displaced X16 riders that I see that take the X30 down Forest to the X14...

Regarding the M104, I'm not going by facts and figures buddy. I'm going by personal observations and experience. I know what the MTA thought...

They always ran shabby service on the M42 and a lot of that was due to the terrible traffic coming up to Times Square. The M104 helped with the M42 backlogs coming crosstown since it sort of avoids the killer traffic to a degree when it turned on to 42nd. Traffic eases up a bit at times during the day once you get past 6th Avenue. This meant that more people would jump on the M104 since it came frequently and the M42 was so slow, often late and MIA. My feeling is that the MTA wanted to boost ridership on the M42, so they cut the M104 for that purpose. Now there's a lot of M42s but they all start from the Pier so with the traffic, they are all crowded and bunched together by the time they reach Times Square. You also don't realize the amount of riders that get on the M42 at Port Authority. There are often 3 buses lined up there picking up the endless lines of people, so the bus is always packed by the time it reaches Times Square for that reason also. Then you have the tourists getting on at Times Square... The M104 wasn't as packed coming down to 42nd and it eased crowding as a result AND eliminated the need to wait for that stupid connection. You may think that the connection isn't that bad, but traffic over there is a mess, so like I said the M104 should be reinstated back to the U.N. :cool: :tup:

I was using observations when I made that comment. The M104 just seemed less utilized than the M42 along 42nd Street.

Maybe every other bus could start at the UN, instead of all buses.

Q58: Reroute northern terminal in Flushing from 41th Road to Roosevelt Avenue to partially match Q48 routing and provide additional service to Skyview Center - In other words, bus would travel north on College Point Boulevard and turn right onto Roosevelt Avenue before turning onto 39th Avenue via Main Street and then turn south onto College Point Boulevard. (BTW, has anyone ever formally submitted this proposal to the MTA for consideration?)

Q79: Reinstate and expand service beyond original levels. Also consider extending southern terminal to another LIRR station (Queens Village?)

How about combining it with the N2 via Tulip Avenue?

Create a through route on the LIE. It would run between Queens Center and Great Neck Station.

Revive the Q89 and extend it westward to the Rockaway Blvd (A) station.

Implement overnight service on the (Q22)

Any repilies? I made other lists in this thread too

I don't think it is necessary on the Q22. Riders have the (A) and Q35.

I was using observations when I made that comment. The M104 just seemed less utilized than the M42 along 42nd Street.

Maybe every other bus could start at the UN, instead of all buses.

How about combining it with the N2 via Tulip Avenue?

I don't think it is necessary on the Q22. Riders have the (A) and Q35.

I think it is necessary, since riders at night have to backtrack at Broad Channel just to get back into the Rockaways

Archived