If you could change one thing about one bus route in each borough, what would you change?

Baseball02

But are their numbers large enough that it warrants the cost of overnight service?

I agree with Q43. The Q22 should have 1-hour overnight service. It only needs to run between Beach 116th St and Mott Ave/Far Rockaway (A)station during those hours as a stand alone line.

Adding 'owl' Q22 should occur if and when the (MTA) economy improves.

Also an added wild card compromise could be nights only to merge the Q35 and Q22 to run between Nostrand/Flatbush and Far Rockaway via Beach 116th Street Station.

Let's see I keep it to only 10 choices.

1)Revive and bring back weekday service on the (B39) and (B51).

2)Restore (B64) to/from Stillwell Avenue and allow an additional 'free' transfer transfering between the B1 and B64 at 13rd Avenue/86th Street.

3)Make the (S79)have hourly service overnights creating 30-minute headways along main part of Hylan between Clove Road and Richmond Avenue with the (S78). Also rush hour limited stop service on the (S79) as well.

4)Restore Saturday X27/28 Hourly service running from about 7am-9pm Saturdays.

5)M104 East Side service to the United Nations restored at least weekdays appx. 6am-11pm.

6)Extend the (Q104)via the B24 Greenpoint Ave and run it between Manhattan Ave/Greenpoint (G) station and Astoria.

6a)The B24 runs between 61st/Woodside and Williamsburg Plaza via Koscicho (Sp)Bridge.

7)Extend the (BM3) to Kingsborough Community College. Also create a BM3a sub branch as peak hour direction replaceent to the (X29). The BM3a would run between West 5th St/Surf Ave and 57th St via West 5th, Neptune, Emmons and Ocean via current BM3 route.

8)End Saturday (BM4) service.

9)Create a new Q94 weekday only service between Flushing (Main/Roosevelt)and Riverdale Ave/231 St.

10)New Route between Elizabeth (NJT) Station and Eligntville TC via Gothehals Bridge.

I have more but those 10 suggestions are what the (MTA) should start on IMO, right away.

Feel free to reply.:eek:

#9 & #10 you're gonna have to explain a little more for me to comment on it....

anyway, I'm not in favor of #5-7...

- I agree w/ the MTA on taking the M104 off 42nd st... but not for the reason checkmatechamp later gave... I mean, people WERE using the things, but it was only b/c M42's didn't come frequent enough... there was no cohesion b/w the two routes (much, say, like the M16 & the M34)... it got to a point where you saw 2 (sometimes, even 3) M104's to every M42... so people simply took the M104 as if it were the 42nd st. crosstown... that was excessive (local) service along 42nd st....

as long as the M104, coming from the UWS, etc, still serves the columbus circle area & PABT, I don't see a problem.... it took that many more vehicles off that length of 42nd, itself....

- You can't extend the Q104 via the B24... there is a barricade on 48th st on both sides of Queens Blvd preventing that....

- the BM3 route south of X' is convoluted/indirect enough....

and two, you're not gonna get anymore riders in manhattan beach, than you do over there on shore blvd.... for the most part, ppl. don't start gettin on like that, until it reaches batchelder anyway....

the rest of them, I can agree with.

1. Extend the (Q18) south to Ridgewood Terminal via 69th St-Forest Av.

2. Restore (Bx55) weekend service and extend it to Park Av/East 125th St, replacing the (Bx15) in part of Manhattan.

As for the Bx15/55, I did it for the routes to improve its Bronx service. Ending the Bx55 at Park Av/125th St would allow for transfers.

3. Extend the (M35) west to West 125th St/12th Av and cut the (Bx15) back to 3rd Av/138th St (6) station, replaced by (Bx55) and (M35) in Harlem.

And for the Q18, I sent it to Ridgewood in hopes for service between the Brooklyn/Queens border and Roosevelt Avenue, although I hoped to send it to Jackson Heights somehow.

4. Restore the (B64) to Coney Island.

1) I'm glad that they made a "Ridgewood terminal" too, but let's not get crazy.... don't need anymore beese (buses) over there.... as I said in another thread, w/e Q18 riders you have still on the bus south of Queens blvd (I should say south of the (7) ), are ppl. heading to areas w/i maspeth....

also, if the general idea was to alleviate some of the load off the Q58, it aint gonna work....

on top of that, ppl in ridgewood don't want the (7) no how... nor do they need it....

2) I hate that idea of the whole swapping of the Bx15/Bx55... may as well cut the Bx55, start LTD service on the Bx15, create a bunch of short turns for/along the route, and that's it... if WF doesn't have enough buses for beefed up service (if it even needs it), have the *combined* route split w/ KB....

....furthermore, they done f***ed up the Bx41 anyway, so it doesn't make all that much difference to xfer from the 15 to the 41 (around fordham plz), if you need service to Gun Hill rd....

3) The M35 to do that? Doesn't make one ounce of sense....

The one thing I wish they do with that route is INcrease headways... idc if it's less than a handful of actual buses on the route, 15 mins is far too frequent.... bump it up to at least 20...

4) Yes, agreed...

M27: Revive the service for part-time on weekdays. The M27 alleviated the big crowds on the 49th/50th Street crosstown and M104.

M30: Revive it, too, for alleviation purposes. The hours become 6 AM to 10 AM and 3:30 PM to 8 PM to help the crowds on Madison/5 Avs. and 57th/72nd Streets. The M30 was really busy the last I saw it, so the M30 would really help.

B64: Repeating it. Extend it BACK to the Stillwell Avenue Station. Cutting off to Bath Beach was a really stupid mistake on the MTA's part.

B4: Extend it back to Knapp Street full-time.

Bx13: Make the part-time extension to Elton Avenue full-time.

Bx55: Revive weekend service and full-time extension to Gunhill Road.

B51: Revive it and add weekend service.

B39: Revive it and make it full-time.

B38: Limited service to Metropolitan Avenue.

BxM7A: Add some more rush-hour express service to City Island.

X37/38: Revive it, weekday service only.

Q89: Revive it, make the service ADA-compatible, connect the service to Jamaica Center, extend it to the Rockaway Parkway Station, and restructure the horrid schedule.

B100: A Kings Plaza branch on weekends and weekday rush hours to help supplement the B2.

B24: Revive weekend schedule.

B3: Extend it back to E. 73rd Street and Avenue X to help out the Bergen Beach residents.

B12 (Liberty Avenue branch): Revived as a new route that extends down Broadway to Bridge Plaza.

B47: Limited-stop service only, its local version split back into the B40 and B78 (the latter's terminal ending at Ralph Avenue instead of Rutland Road)

B71/B77: Revive 'em and extend them to South Ferry.

M27: The TA drastically reduced the M50 so you would have to restore some service there in my opinion before bringing back the M27.

M30: The route was already cut back so much when it was eliminated.

B64: I agree. A foolish move indeed.

B4: Not happening unless there is public outcry. A compromise would be running the 4 to Sheepshead Bay station as I mentioned in a previous post.

Bx13: This could work.

Bx55: I agree except the part about running to Gun Hill Rd part time.

B51: Definitely wouldn't be needed on weekends.

B39: I agree.

B38: The limited is fine as is.

BxM7A: If there is demand, yes.

X37 and 38: I agree.

Q89: Why Rockaway Parkway?! Just curious. The southern terminal and piss poor headway led to the elimination.

B100: Not necessary.

B24: Only if the weekday ridership has gone up significantly.

B3: Most people drive anyway and ridership there was very light.

B12: Just like the old B40. Ridership was very light and the route ran on a outdated service pattern so this isn't needed in my view.

B47: The frequency isn't there plus a limited is not needed. Some added short turns at Rutland Road could do the trick.

B71 and 77: I agree with the 71. The 77 really doesn't have a chance of being restored with the success of the truncated 61. Slightly related, I'm not so convinced about the B62 split from the 61 on the 62 because of reliability.

One more thing:

Q27: Overnight service should be extended south to Jamaica Avenue (since Q30 no longer has overnight service)

As much as I disliked the (Q27) extention in 04, this actually makes sense. There's also connections to the (Q36) and (Q83). I never understood why it was cut off at Horace Harding late nights

#9 & #10 you're gonna have to explain a little more for me to comment on it....

anyway, I'm not in favor of #5-7...

- I agree w/ the MTA on taking the M104 off 42nd st... but not for the reason checkmatechamp later gave... I mean, people WERE using the things, but it was only b/c M42's didn't come frequent enough... there was no cohesion b/w the two routes (much, say, like the M16 & the M34)... it got to a point where you saw 2 (sometimes, even 3) M104's to every M42... so people simply took the M104 as if it were the 42nd st. crosstown... that was excessive (local) service along 42nd st....

as long as the M104, coming from the UWS, etc, still serves the columbus circle area & PABT, I don't see a problem.... it took that many more vehicles off that length of 42nd, itself....

- You can't extend the Q104 via the B24... there is a barricade on 48th st on both sides of Queens Blvd preventing that....

- the BM3 route south of X' is convoluted/indirect enough....

and two, you're not gonna get anymore riders in manhattan beach, than you do over there on shore blvd.... for the most part, ppl. don't start gettin on like that, until it reaches batchelder anyway....

the rest of them, I can agree with.

1) I'm glad that they made a "Ridgewood terminal" too, but let's not get crazy.... don't need anymore beese (buses) over there.... as I said in another thread, w/e Q18 riders you have still on the bus south of Queens blvd (I should say south of the (7) ), are ppl. heading to areas w/i maspeth....

also, if the general idea was to alleviate some of the load off the Q58, it aint gonna work....

on top of that, ppl in ridgewood don't want the (7) no how... nor do they need it....

2) I hate that idea of the whole swapping of the Bx15/Bx55... may as well cut the Bx55, start LTD service on the Bx15, create a bunch of short turns for/along the route, and that's it... if WF doesn't have enough buses for beefed up service (if it even needs it), have the *combined* route split w/ KB....

....furthermore, they done f***ed up the Bx41 anyway, so it doesn't make all that much difference to xfer from the 15 to the 41 (around fordham plz), if you need service to Gun Hill rd....

3) The M35 to do that? Doesn't make one ounce of sense....

The one thing I wish they do with that route is INcrease headways... idc if it's less than a handful of actual buses on the route, 15 mins is far too frequent.... bump it up to at least 20...

4) Yes, agreed...

Yeah, but there's a reason why people were using the M104 more and you said it yourself... The M42 was unreliable and overcrowded and quite frankly it still is. We both know how insane traffic is past 5th Avenue on 42nd street. The M42s still run bunched up and by the time they reach Times Square they're usually packed, so the M104 helped with overcrowding. As it is now, I see no point in having the M104 run just to 42nd Street and having people transfer to the M42. This is also why the M5 is running so flaky because anyone who needs service near 5th and 42nd coming from Columbus Circle and the West Side are now waiting for the M5. I personally have started avoiding going to Columbus Circle except for when I take the express bus up there. The service has just deteroriated since they cut the M104. :tdown:

My replies in red.

M27: Revive the service for part-time on weekdays. The M27 alleviated the big crowds on the 49th/50th Street crosstown and M104.

M30: Revive it, too, for alleviation purposes. The hours become 6 AM to 10 AM and 3:30 PM to 8 PM to help the crowds on Madison/5 Avs. and 57th/72nd Streets. The M30 was really busy the last I saw it, so the M30 would really help.

Agreed. It should be restored as a rush hour only route to help out the M31 and other nearby East Side routes.

B64: Repeating it. Extend it BACK to the Stillwell Avenue Station. Cutting off to Bath Beach was a really stupid mistake on the MTA's part.

Preaching to the choir on that one:tup:. It a stupid move by the (MTA). Also they never wanted '2' routes to serve between the Ulmer park depot (via Cropsey or Harway/Stillwell Aves.)and Stillwell.

B4: Extend it back to Knapp Street full-time. I agree only to a point. Late evening after 10pm except for Saturday Nights when the movies were open, the portion of the B4 has been dead. I think running it Monday-Saturdays 6am-11pm and Sundays 8am-8pm makes the most sense to run it to Knapp.

Other times it runs only to/from the Sheapshead Station.

Bx13: Make the part-time extension to Elton Avenue full-time.

Agreed.

Bx55: Revive weekend service and full-time extension to Gunhill Road.

On this one I agree with b35. I think it's better for the BX55 to 'retire' and replaced with BX15 Limited service.

B51: Revive it and add weekend service. On this one I agree with restoring full all day service Monday-Friday until about at least 9pm. I also agree with B35 to extend the route to Battery Park City/BMCC to increase ridership. On the other handWeekend Fulton Mall is often a ghost town and not sure even Saturday service is needed. Sunday B51 service should not run.

B39: Revive it and make it full-time. Again I agree to a point. If anything the (MTA) was correct and canning 24/7 aka Overnight service. Still I think this route should either merge with a portion of the (B24)or be extended as Forest Glen suggested to Union Sq. or the East Village area. I think the (B39) should run weekdays 530am-11pm, Saturdays 6am-11pm and Sundays 8am-8pm since the Essex (J)(M)(Z) and (F) station is not ADA accessible.

B38: Limited service to Metropolitan Avenue. I don't think it's needed. The B38 Limited Captala Branch is enough for now.BxM7A: Add some more rush-hour express service to City Island.

X37/38: Revive it, weekday service only. I agree but it should be restored as a peak hour service to Manhattan AM Rush and From Manhattan PM Rush.

Q89: Revive it, make the service ADA-compatible, connect the service to Jamaica Center, extend it to the Rockaway Parkway Station, and restructure the horrid schedule. I don't know this route that well so no comment. However I do think a new bus line running between JFK and at least the Flatbush/Nostrand (2)(5) station via Ave H, Flatlands, Linden Blvd, Conduit Ave to/from JFK should be formed.

B100: A Kings Plaza branch on weekends and weekday rush hours to help supplement the B2. I have to get back to you on that one.

B24: Revive weekend schedule. Agreed. However the whole B24 needs to be restructured.

B3: Extend it back to E. 73rd Street and Avenue X to help out the Bergen Beach residents. Perhaps only during Rush Hours and nothing more.

B12 (Liberty Avenue branch): Revived as a new route that extends down Broadway to Bridge Plaza. Not needed. if anything extending the (Q112)down Liberty to Broadway Junction makes more sense. Also if Halsey and a couple of other stations on the (J)(Z) were ADA Accessible, there no need for added bus service along Brooklyn-Broadway.

B47: Limited-stop service only, its local version split back into the B40 and B78 (the latter's terminal ending at Ralph Avenue instead of Rutland Road)

There are other routes in Brooklyn i.e B8, B15 and B60 that needs limited stop service more than the B47. As others suggested during rush hours have some (B47) start/end at the Rutland Rd (3)(4) station.

B71/B77: Revive 'em and extend them to South Ferry.

As others have stated the B77 chances for returning are slim and none. Maybe if resturctured the B71 could return but it should run between Grand Army Plaza and South Ferry via Union, serve the Ikea shopping center in red hook and then the Battery Tunnel to/from South Ferry. However restoring the B71 is not urgent say like the return of the B39, B51, etc.

My takes.

What do you mean by that?

Have the Green Acres Bound (Q85) work mornings on both weekends to assist the (Q5) in ridership or frequentate the (Q85) for afternoons for the same purpose as mentioned above.

Disregard the first half of that post for now (I'll have to check into it). As for the second half I mean't like since the buses as they currenty are at some to most times dead packed in the afternoon I thought frequentating the (Q85) (Green Acres Bound) would add more service to the Mall. Plus having one bus that has to make a lot of stops such as the Q5 to the same location as another bus that goes to the same destination & is less frequent doesn't fair too well. So just even it out with a decent amount of buses on both routes.

M100 to Riverdale. I read somewhere that they opposed the M100 split in 1989 (Bx7 from 262 to 246, Bx20 from 246 to 207 street via Henry Hudson), so they deserve some additional service.

Bx40 Limited during weekdays and Saturdays, except for evenings. (like the current Bx1/2 pattern)

Bx16/34 combined as one. The Bx16 would enter Woodlawn and leave the area and continue down to Fordham Center.

Bx55 extension to Wakefield and Mott Haven, then ridership and reliability would increase a bit. Also, Saturday service revived, but northbound only to Fordham Plaza.

M100 to Riverdale. I read somewhere that they opposed the M100 split in 1989 (Bx7 from 262 to 246, Bx20 from 246 to 207 street via Henry Hudson), so they deserve some additional service.

Bx40 Limited during weekdays and Saturdays, except for evenings. (like the current Bx1/2 pattern)

Bx16/34 combined as one. The Bx16 would enter Woodlawn and leave the area and continue down to Fordham Center.

Bx55 extension to Wakefield and Mott Haven, then ridership and reliability would increase a bit. Also, Saturday service revived, but northbound only to Fordham Plaza.

Where IRT in Riverdale would the (M100) would terminate? IMO I agree that the (M100)should be restored to Riverdale but only to 231st St at the (BX1)terminal.

The current terminal for the M100 at basically the Kingsbridge depot at Bway./220th Street is in middle of nowwhere. By extending it to 231st, it serves both the Target(Harlem River Shopping Plaza)and 231st/Bway (1)station area.

Have Bx35 run every 5 min evening rush

Have Bx35 run occasional rush hour artics like Bx36 does.

Make Bx40 LIMITED weekdays

Reroute the Bx18 off of 170st to run towards Gateway Cntr

Set a bus lane on 181st in Manhattan with cameras photographic any violators

Set the fare for local bus to $1.50

Have Bx35 run every 5 min evening rush

Have Bx35 run occasional rush hour artics like Bx36 does.

Make Bx40 LIMITED weekdays

Reroute the Bx18 off of 170st to run towards Gateway Cntr

Set a bus lane on 181st in Manhattan with cameras photographic any violators

Set the fare for local bus to $1.50

I think almost all of them are great suggestions. I agree that a bus should serve Bronx Gateway. I think the (MTA) will just re-route the (BX13) to serve it.

On the lower fare idea that would be sweet. However there basically zero chance of the fare going down to $1.50. In 10 years from now in 2021, the fare might be $8.00-$10.00 by then.:eek:

I think almost all of them are great suggestions. I agree that a bus should serve Bronx Gateway. I think the (MTA) will just re-route the (BX13) to serve it.

On the lower fare idea that would be sweet. However there basically zero chance of the fare going down to $1.50. In 10 years from now in 2021, the fare might be $8.00-$10.00 by then.:eek:

that is why is called our ideas, not the (MTA)'s. Lets just hope the fare dosen't go that high.

Yeah, but there's a reason why people were using the M104 more and you said it yourself... The M42 was unreliable and overcrowded and quite frankly it still is. We both know how insane traffic is past 5th Avenue on 42nd street. The M42s still run bunched up and by the time they reach Times Square they're usually packed, so the M104 helped with overcrowding. As it is now, I see no point in having the M104 run just to 42nd Street and having people transfer to the M42. This is also why the M5 is running so flaky because anyone who needs service near 5th and 42nd coming from Columbus Circle and the West Side are now waiting for the M5. I personally have started avoiding going to Columbus Circle except for when I take the express bus up there. The service has just deteroriated since they cut the M104. :tdown:

I know the MTA truncated the route to save a few pennies here & there, but I still agree w/ the overall move... not for that reason, per se, but again, service along 42nd street was excessive...

You say it's no point stopping the M104 short where it does... Oh, there is a point... by that statement, I can tell you haven't endured the way it absolutely crawls along Broadway (UWS)... M104's were constantly late (I don't mean by like 5 mins. either), arriving at either terminal, having to pan along broadway & along 42nd...

while it was a help when it was around, the existence/purpose of the M104 wasn't to provide crosstown service.... It's one thing for the M42 to take almost 1/2 hour b/w the UN & TSQ/PABT general area (that's the purpose of the route)... but when you had M104's also stuck in that, while still having pan through the UWS to get to Harlem there, it posed a problem....

I remember a point & time (yes, post 2k) where M104 usage along 42nd wadn't all that great... and in turn, M42's were crushloaded (yes, over time, ridership patterns shifted... I'm not denying that)... Still though, I remember the comments here & there about cutting the M104 to PABT w/ the M27 (when that was around), this that & the third (myself included, b/c I felt it was justified then... and I still do now; even with that increase in riders along 42nd, say the past what, 4-6 yrs)...

Now if the M42 had shitty headways, and M104 riders had to wait that out for service past TSQ, then I would side with your point more...

At its old terminal, west 262 Street, to help out the Bx7/10. The Bx20 (why was it kept...) if I'm not mistaken is the former M100.

The M100 running between 125th/2nd Ave and 262/Riverdale is a terrible idea for these reasons.

1)The M100 was a unreiable route and the (MTA) was correct around 1989 to split the route with BX7 serving the Northern Part and the (M100)serving the area from Inwood-East Harlem. I did railfan the old (M100)right before the change and it took almost 2 hours from 125th/Lex to the last stop at 262nd/Riverdale. IRT you were not yet born when the M100 was always late due to the long route.

2)The BX7 as it is is almost 1 hour between the city line and 168th St.

3)If anything the (MTA) should have created a BX7a to serve the BX20 route weekdays.

4)Not sure the artics could serve the route along the Henry Hudson and Riverdale as the turns in those areas are tight even with regular size buses. The (M100)sometimes uses artics.

5)Do you ride the merged M5/M6 yet? It could be that bad with bus bunching. plus if you have the M100 serve the full route you might as well scrap the BX7.

6)The (M100)should end at 231 st/Riverdale Ave. Mainly to connect to the Hudson Line at Marble Hill station. Also for Inwood/Washington Heights and Harlem residents going to the Target at 225th St/Broadway as well.

Just my takes.

M100: Not to 263 St. Even though Shortline's idea isn't bad, the 100 is fine now.

Bx40: I agree and I should add the new Bx1/2 pattern is far better now.

Bx16 and 34: Well, since the 34 became a weekday only line, such a combination wouldn't be totally necessary now.

Bx55: I suggested flipping terminals with the Bx15 but an extension to Mott Haven at least could help with a ridership boost. North to Wakefield, no.

Q66 & Q60 limited.

Q66 especially.

And the Q72 with those "double buses" (sorry not a big bus fan dont really know the specific names).

Limited service for those routes are justified and sound good on paper. Both routes have short turns so this is a plus.

There is no reason for Artics on the Q72.

Archived