If you could change one thing about one bus route in each borough, what would you change?

Baseball02

M1: can the weekend terminal and let the M1 extend to 8th Street on weekends.

M5: Bring the route back to Houston Street and revive the M6 in its place.

M10: Extend the route back down to at least Times Square.

M104: Extend it back to the U.N.

M50, M8, M21: Revive weekend service.

M98: Extend it to either Grand Central or back to 34th Street.

I would extend the Q60 deeper into Manhattan. It would basically follow the Q32's route.

I would combine the QM4 with the QM1 (to Fresh Meadows)

I would extend the Q64 to the Fresh Meadows shopping center

The QM5 would no longer run on Union Turnpike. It would take the LIE to 188 Street (both directions) before heading down 188 Street and following its normal route to Glen Oaks.

I would consider extending the X64 into Nassau County in order to boost ridership. It would end around Malverne

If the DOT approved, then I would run some BxM2's on the Henry Hudson Parkway

The M98 would return to its normal route.

I would create some sort of express bus route to Brooklyn from Staten Island. Not sure where though... :P Many Staten Islanders complain that the MTA is too Manhattan focused when it comes to Staten Island and thus those with rapid transit needs to Brooklyn or even Queens are forced to drive due to the number of connections and long waiting times that would be needed using the MTA.

S98: St. George to Elizabeth NJT station via Forest Avenue. Overnight, 30 minute headways on S48 with every other bus terminating in Elizabeth or Mariner's Harbor (these buses would meet the ferry).

Seems like all of the real quick transportation options are near Richmond Ave or down on Hylan Blvd. Believe it or not, catching the last X2 that was just added yesterday gets me in my office in an hour or less. What they should do is run X14s that do the whole route and ones that skip Downtown and make them "Super Expresses" so that those going to Midtown can bypass Downtown. It's just agony doing that stupid semi-loop on Pearl St. and I've noticed that quite a few people have dumped the X14 for the X2.

I don't look at this as a good thing for the North Shore, especially folks east of Manor Road and Forest Ave because the North Shore needs more beefed up express bus service and later service like the South Shore has.

Seems like all of the real quick transportation options are near Richmond Ave or down on Hylan Blvd. Believe it or not, catching the last X2 that was just added yesterday gets me in my office in an hour or less. What they should do is run X14s that do the whole route and ones that skip Downtown and make them "Super Expresses" so that those going to Midtown can bypass Downtown. It's just agony doing that stupid semi-loop on Pearl St. and I've noticed that quite few people former X14 riders have dumped the X14 for the X2.

I don't look at this as a good thing for the North Shore, especially folks east of Manor Road and Forest Ave because the North Shore needs more beefed up express bus service and later service like the South Shore has.

Do those riders get off the X14 at Fingerboard Road for the X2, or do they drive to the X2?

They should make that stop an official transfer point between express buses (make it the one point on SI where you can get off a Manhattan-bound express bus). That way, riders on the X14 and X15 can get easier access to their destinations.

Do those riders get off the X14 at Fingerboard Road for the X2, or do they drive to the X2?

They should make that stop an official transfer point between express buses (make it the one point on SI where you can get off a Manhattan-bound express bus). That way, riders on the X14 and X15 can get easier access to their destinations.

The X16 lost riders because of its inconsistency and unreliability, so those riders started driving further south to get the X12, which although it too can be inconsistent, it runs later and has more frequency. The stop you're referring to (Hylan Blvd and Narrows Road South) is an express bus transfer point (albeit unofficially) and people use it often to transfer to the X1 or other West Side express buses since they basically all meet up there except for those who bypass those stops and take the SIE.

A lot of the passengers for the X14 and X2 come along the service road so those who got on the X14 to take it to Midtown now just wait for the X2 and I'm willing to bet that the MTA realized the jump in the X2, which is why they added that bus at 09:00 out of New Dorp so that they wouldn't have to increase the X1 during that time period. You also have displaced express bus riders now going to the X1 since it runs every 5 minutes or so. I currently don't drive because I find it too aggrevating, but I plan on getting a car soon once I move and I've been testing different express bus routes to see which would work best should I move somewhere the island with less walkable conditions than I currently have.

I have to say that I'd just drive to a Park and Ride somewhere near Hylan Blvd and take the express bus from there. I mean there is just so much more options and later service for South Shore express bus riders, which really annoys me being on the North Shore, so that is probably why the MTA was under the impression that Forest Ave wasn't utilizing the X16, but little did they know those riders are heading further south to the other express buses... :P

The South Shore politicians also constantly push for expanded express bus service on the down there, which is why they get more because of their limited options. As you probably know, the fast ferry option has not come to materialize for the South Shore as of yet and taking the SIR to the ferry to the subway I would never do if I lived on the South Shore. Wayy too long. It's easier to cut on the North Shore because North Shore folks will just drive to another line, plus the assumption is that we have an "easy" commute to the ferry, which I beg to differ on.

I've been seeing some "Express Bus Transfer Point" signs and I don't know what they mean. They are always for the route on the outbound directions.

Southbound side of Richmond Avenue at Victory Blvd (X17)

Northbound side of Richmond Avenue at Victory Blvd (X10)

Northbound side of South Avenue at Forest Avenue (X12/X42)

I'm not sure about these, but:

Westbound side of Victory Blvd at Richmond Avenue (X11)

Westbound side of Narrows Road North at Fingerboard Road (all routes that stop there)

I'm assuming they just mean that you can transfer to a local bus there, but I'm not sure.

I've been seeing some "Express Bus Transfer Point" signs and I don't know what they mean. They are always for the route on the outbound directions.

Southbound side of Richmond Avenue at Victory Blvd (X17)

Northbound side of Richmond Avenue at Victory Blvd (X10)

Northbound side of South Avenue at Forest Avenue (X12/X42)

I'm not sure about these, but:

Westbound side of Victory Blvd at Richmond Avenue (X11)

Westbound side of Narrows Road North at Fingerboard Road (all routes that stop there)

I'm assuming they just mean that you can transfer to a local bus there, but I'm not sure.

Basically those are so that express bus riders can transfer to other express buses. You'd probably be surprised how many people transfer from one express bus to another, but it happens a lot especially over by Fingerboard Road. The old timers basically know all of the express bus transfer points (the official and unofficial ones). To clear up your confusion here are the ones that I know of officially and unofficially:

1. Narrows Road North at Fingerboard Road AND Narrows Road North at Hylan Blvd, although most just get off and on at Fingerboard to make the switch. I've never seen anyone get on at Hylan. They probably are afraid that the express bus wouldn't stop.

2. Narrows Road South at Fingerboard Road AND Narrows Road South at Hylan Blvd, although most just get off at Hylan Blvd to make the switch since that's usually where most of the crowding is and they'll more likely to get a seat incase the bus is SRO.

3. Another one that I see happens in the city. Some people will get on at the first drop off stop because the buses usually empty out there which means they don't have to worry about crowding issues and also they have more options should their bus not come. Before the cuts I used to see people do it with the X1, but it also has become popular with the X14 too since it now stops Downtown, does the semi-loop and then heads to Midtown. The ones in the city are unofficial ones since theoretically they are "Drop-Off" only stops, but most B/Os know the deal. :cool:

As far as express bus riders go, they know they can basically get off at any point during which the express bus picks up passengers to transfer. For example I have missed express buses, gotten on other express buses to chase the other down, then get off and get the other one. Sometimes you may get a look, but quite frankly I could give two f*cks. :P

Also, there are those who will get on in the city to take the express bus Downtown because they don't want to deal with the subway, then they'll get off and they'll get the look. If I'm in a rush or don't feel like dealing with crowded local buses or subways, I do it too. Much more comfortable, especially during the rush hour. That's why I love having the unlimited card and I use it every chance I can to ride the express bus and get my $50.00 worth. :cool:

The other express bus transfer points you mentioned make sense because X10 and X17 riders interchange quite a bit. I mean theoretically, someone from Port Richmond could hop on the X10, take that down to Richmond Ave for a good 5 minutes or so where the X10 meets up with the X17 and then get on the X17C and be in the city in 20 minutes. I used to take car service over to the X17 on Saturdays and it was great that way, but now I find the X1 to be just about as quick and it also comes more often. :cool:

LOL! I remember I got on the X10 by the Todt Hill projects and Manor Road...only to get off and get on the S79 to get to Brooklyn.

What a waste of $5.50 that was...oh well! Lol

When I left from the hearing last year at CSI, I took the X10 to Manor and Schmidts, picked up a few goodies by Manor and Victory and then got an S54 to Forest and Manor... :cool: Without the unlimited card though, I would be a bit more thoughtful about using my transfers and getting my $5.50 worth.

Let's see I keep it to only 10 choices.

1)Revive and bring back weekday service on the (B39) and (B51).

2)Restore (B64) to/from Stillwell Avenue and allow an additional 'free' transfer transfering between the B1 and B64 at 13rd Avenue/86th Street.

3)Make the (S79)have hourly service overnights creating 30-minute headways along main part of Hylan between Clove Road and Richmond Avenue with the (S78). Also rush hour limited stop service on the (S79) as well.

4)Restore Saturday X27/28 Hourly service running from about 7am-9pm Saturdays.

5)M104 East Side service to the United Nations restored at least weekdays appx. 6am-11pm.

6)Extend the (Q104)via the B24 Greenpoint Ave and run it between Manhattan Ave/Greenpoint (G) station and Astoria.

6a)The B24 runs between 61st/Woodside and Williamsburg Plaza via Koscicho (Sp)Bridge.

7)Extend the (BM3) to Kingsborough Community College. Also create a BM3a sub branch as peak hour direction replaceent to the (X29). The BM3a would run between West 5th St/Surf Ave and 57th St via West 5th, Neptune, Emmons and Ocean via current BM3 route.

8)End Saturday (BM4) service.

9)Create a new Q94 weekday only service between Flushing (Main/Roosevelt)and Riverdale Ave/231 St.

10)New Route between Elizabeth (NJT)Station and Eligntville TC via Gothehals Bridge.

I have more but those 10 suggestions are what the (MTA) should start on IMO, right away.

Feel free to reply.:eek:

1. Extend the (Q18) south to Ridgewood Terminal via 69th St-Forest Av.

2. Restore (Bx55) weekend service and extend it to Park Av/East 125th St, replacing the (Bx15) in part of Manhattan.

3. Extend the (M35) west to West 125th St/12th Av and cut the (Bx15) back to 3rd Av/138th St (6) station, replaced by (Bx55) and (M35) in Harlem.

4. Restore the (B64) to Coney Island.

(Bx40)(Bx42)-More frequent service. People might say both route combined make frequent service, BUT when I used to live in Throgs Neck, people perfered to thke the (Bx40) over the (Bx42) because the (Bx42) added an extra 10 mins to your trip by going around the projects. The (Bx40) aviods the projects thus making your trip shorter. Also if you live in the projects, you have to wait a while to catch the (Bx42) bus.

(M1)-Bring weekend service from 106 St to 8 St.

(B4)-More frequent service.

(Q102)-More frequent service.

Thats all I care about.

Other than making the S79 operate at night, here are my other picks:

S61: create a half-hour branch of the S61 that operates via Manor Road (called the S61A); substitutes the S54 on weekends; supplements the S54 on weekdays.

B44: Give it +SBS, to hell with passenger opposition!

Let's see I keep it to only 10 choices.

1)Revive and bring back weekday service on the (B39) and (B51).

2)Restore (B64) to/from Stillwell Avenue and allow an additional 'free' transfer transfering between the B1 and B64 at 13rd Avenue/86th Street.

3)Make the (S79)have hourly service overnights creating 30-minute headways along main part of Hylan between Clove Road and Richmond Avenue with the (S78). Also rush hour limited stop service on the (S79) as well.

4)Restore Saturday X27/28 Hourly service running from about 7am-9pm Saturdays.

5)M104 East Side service to the United Nations restored at least weekdays appx. 6am-11pm.

6)Extend the (Q104)via the B24 Greenpoint Ave and run it between Manhattan Ave/Greenpoint (G) station and Astoria.

6a)The B24 runs between 61st/Woodside and Williamsburg Plaza via Koscicho (Sp)Bridge.

7)Extend the (BM3) to Kingsborough Community College. Also create a BM3a sub branch as peak hour direction replaceent to the (X29). The BM3a would run between West 5th St/Surf Ave and 57th St via West 5th, Neptune, Emmons and Ocean via current BM3 route.

8)End Saturday (BM4) service.

9)Create a new Q94 weekday only service between Flushing (Main/Roosevelt)and Riverdale Ave/231 St.

10)New Route between Elizabeth (NJT)Station and Eligntville TC via Gothehals Bridge.

I have more but those 10 suggestions are what the (MTA) should start on IMO, right away.

Feel free to reply.:eek:

1. Agree, but it should be fully restored, evening during weekends.

2. Agree... Full restoration of the B64. The current route is ridiculous and as I said in a previous post, nothing more than an attempt to axe that route completely.

3. Agree.

4. Agree partially... Make 1 hour headways, but let it run like the other express buses, which all run until about midnight on Saturdays and it can start at 6am.

5. Agree partially... Restore all M104 service including weekends... Ending at 42nd street is completely stupid as I've said before. Big mistake by the MTA. :tdown:

7. Leave the BM3 as is... Those who really want the BM3 will get to it, trust me. And why the extension to Kingsborough College??? Pardon me for saying this but we BM3 riders could do without any riff raff from the college. They can take the B1 and B49 as they have been. :P

8. Disagree... :tdown: Leave the BM4 alone already. It already starts later and ends earlier than all the BM1, BM2 and BM3 which run near it and it only has hour headways.

10. New route for??? What's wrong with the S89??

Archived