If you could change one thing about one bus route in each borough, what would you change?

Baseball02

M100: Not to 263 St. Even though Shortline's idea isn't bad, the 100 is fine now.

Bx40: I agree and I should add the new Bx1/2 pattern is far better now.

Bx16 and 34: Well, since the 34 became a weekday only line, such a combination wouldn't be totally necessary now.

Bx55: I suggested flipping terminals with the Bx15 but an extension to Mott Haven at least could help with a ridership boost. North to Wakefield, no.

Limited service for those routes are justified and sound good on paper. Both routes have short turns so this is a plus.

There is no reason for Artics on the Q72.

Well said Mark. i only suggeted the (M100) be extended at least on alternative trips to 231st is that a quiet number of people either transfer at the current last stop at 220th/Bway. or even walk across the Broadway Bridge to/from the shopping center or even the metro north station.

On other hand IRT admits he never been on the BX7 and should ride on it before suggesting the M100 return to it's too long of a route to 262nd Street.

FYI. If I remember right, Riverdale filled with NIMBY's protested the cut of M100 service probably in reality on an issue bigger than buses. They really prefer to be considered a "Manhattan neighborhood' even now for lower auto and home insurance rates. The Bronx even with reported lower crime rates still has among the nation's highest rates for car and auto insurance.

M100 to Riverdale. I read somewhere that they opposed the M100 split in 1989 (Bx7 from 262 to 246, Bx20 from 246 to 207 street via Henry Hudson), so they deserve some additional service.

Bx40 Limited during weekdays and Saturdays, except for evenings. (like the current Bx1/2 pattern)

Bx16/34 combined as one. The Bx16 would enter Woodlawn and leave the area and continue down to Fordham Center.

Bx55 extension to Wakefield and Mott Haven, then ridership and reliability would increase a bit. Also, Saturday service revived, but northbound only to Fordham Plaza.

- A Bx16/34 merge is what should've happened before they eliminated weekend service on the 34....

- I don't know what can be done to help out the Bx40/42... prime example of a route whose service drastically declined when artics were put on it...

- now that the bx41 was shortened, a way to keep the Bx55 around would be to send it to Wakefield... LTD stops only, weekdays, of course....

- Riverdale doesn't deserve anymore service than what it currently gets....

with the Bx7 going from 168th to Riverdale, there's really no need for the M100 to go up there.... yes, it doesn't have the most *ideal* terminal, but it's good where it's at....

M27: Revive the service for part-time on weekdays. The M27 alleviated the big crowds on the 49th/50th Street crosstown and M104.

M30: Revive it, too, for alleviation purposes. The hours become 6 AM to 10 AM and 3:30 PM to 8 PM to help the crowds on Madison/5 Avs. and 57th/72nd Streets. The M30 was really busy the last I saw it, so the M30 would really help.

B64: Repeating it. Extend it BACK to the Stillwell Avenue Station. Cutting off to Bath Beach was a really stupid mistake on the MTA's part.

B4: Extend it back to Knapp Street full-time.

Bx13: Make the part-time extension to Elton Avenue full-time.

Bx55: Revive weekend service and full-time extension to Gunhill Road.

B51: Revive it and add weekend service.

B39: Revive it and make it full-time.

B38: Limited service to Metropolitan Avenue.

BxM7A: Add some more rush-hour express service to City Island.

X37/38: Revive it, weekday service only.

Q89: Revive it, make the service ADA-compatible, connect the service to Jamaica Center, extend it to the Rockaway Parkway Station, and restructure the horrid schedule.

B100: A Kings Plaza branch on weekends and weekday rush hours to help supplement the B2.

B24: Revive weekend schedule.

B3: Extend it back to E. 73rd Street and Avenue X to help out the Bergen Beach residents.

B12 (Liberty Avenue branch): Revived as a new route that extends down Broadway to Bridge Plaza.

B47: Limited-stop service only, its local version split back into the B40 and B78 (the latter's terminal ending at Ralph Avenue instead of Rutland Road)

B71/B77: Revive 'em and extend them to South Ferry.

aight.... I'll reply to these, if you want...

- M27 was redundant to the M42 & the M50... I see why they got rid of that...

- M30 was a rush hour service that actually had more usage in the AM side than the PM side.... I don't know if bringing that back would be worth it...

- B4 & B64 :tup:

- Bx13, sure, why not...

- Bx55, I say either cut this route & add LTD service to the Bx15 (and create a short turn around the Hub, at the least).. or as IRT Bx Exp. said, extend this to wakefield...

- B51, agreed... & idc what the MTA claims, this route had enough ridership to keep it around...

furthermore, in conjunction to sending this to BMCC (my orig. idea), it would have only flourished that much more... I think the bus would actually beat the (2) from chambers st, to Hoyt st... outside of the ADA issue, this is another reason why I think the older crowd favored the B51, over taking the (4)/(5) to get downtown... most of them, x-ferred to the fulton st routes (B38, 26, 52, etc)...

no need for weekend service, though....

- B39, I don't know if it would have be worth it to bring this back, under the routing it had...

either it should be brought back & extended somewhere else under the headways it had, or have it brought back with the routing it had, under higher headways...

- B38, not sayin it's a bad idea... I just don't think it's necessary....

there's a significant difference in usage on the seneca branch... the current setup is fine... this is coming from someone that didn't think LTD service even belonged on the route....

- BxM7a, probably one more bus in each direction at the most, I suppose... anything more would be wasteful....

- x37/38, agreed... but to be fair, not as frequent as it did, though...

- Q89... Rockaway parkway.. in Brooklyn ?

I hope you meant Rockaway park (cross bay/woodhaven)....

- B100... you would have to increase service for that to work out... problem is, the ridership simply isn't there for that...

I don't think either of which (what I just brought up, or your idea there) should happen...

- B24... I agree... with the MTA on this one

- B3, virtually no one rode this past veterans/Av U.... it was to a point where some drivers would actually layover at the triangle binding that intersection, and then proceed (loop) down to bergen beach and continue the trip on over to Harway....

that's another of the few route truncations I felt was justified...

- B12... by far, this is the worst idea out of the ones you have listed...

you're reviving the part of the B12 that was dead, part of the Q24 that was dead, and part of the old B40 that was redundant to the B46 & the B47... not sure what you're attempting to accomplish with this one, bro...

If you want a further explanation, I'll be glad to dissect this idea....

- B47... yeah, I miss the 78 too, but I have to say, the 47 is more modernized.... this was one of the more sensible mergers the MTA made back in 2002 (or w/e year that was)....

as for your idea, it's excessive... ralph av doesn't need LTD service... it needs more reliable service; the 47 is inconsistent... and the thing is, ridership is evenly spread out along the entire route... bringing back the 40 & the 78 would only result in emptier buses throughout the day (on both counts)...

- B71/77... I also miss the 77, but I wouldn't revive it... a route from/through Red hook to lower manhattan would yield heavy opposition.... The current B61 is the "answer" to the old 77....

The B71 I think should be brought back, and extended to lower manhattan... although, I would also change its EB terminal to the prospect park sta...

soon as I figure out how to do this google map s***, I'll show you an illustration of my idea.....

Bx16 and 34: Well, since the 34 became a weekday only line, such a combination wouldn't be totally necessary now. I mentioned that since the Bx16 partially serves where the Bx34 runs at from Woodlawn to Norwood, so a merge might be beneficial and the Bx16 would go to Fordham Center instead.

Bx55: I suggested flipping terminals with the Bx15 but an extension to Mott Haven at least could help with a ridership boost. North to Wakefield, no. Why not Wakefield? The Bx55 needs more riders anyways, or else, give it an ax during middays since it's barely utilized. This is coming from someone that lives near 3rd ave.

- A Bx16/34 merge is what should've happened before they eliminated weekend service on the 34.... Amen to that.

- I don't know what can be done to help out the Bx40/42... prime example of a route whose service drastically declined when artics were put on it... It's always packed during the rush hours, and a limited is a must because 2 local buses at Tremont are not needed. The Bx40 is perfect for limited service because it doesn't enter the Throgs Neck houses like the Bx42, and can take passengers to their destinations quickly. Both routes are very slow when too many passengers decide to hop on...

- now that the bx41 was shortened, a way to keep the Bx55 around would be to send it to Wakefield... LTD stops only, weekdays, of course.... To gain more riders and give Wakefield residents direct access to 3rd Avenue, agreed.

- Bx55, I say either cut this route & add LTD service to the Bx15 (and create a short turn around the Hub, at the least).. or as IRT Bx Exp. said, extend this to wakefield... Middays, yes since it's empty, but not rush hours. At least the Bx55 is heavily utilized during the rush hours.

Replies in red.

I don't think there is a great demand for SI-Harlem service. Any riders who want to go to Harlem can take the (4) or (5)

An extension of the Q66 to Manhasset would make it way too long. Not to mention riders can transfer to the N20 or N21 if they needed Manhasset.

I agree w/checkmate. Most Staten Islanders are not looking to head to Harlem and if they are and want express bus service there, they can transfer to the BXM4 up to 125th street.

god, I hate quoting myself, but:

The B71 I think should be brought back, and extended to lower manhattan... although, I would also change its EB terminal to the prospect park sta...

soon as I figure out how to do this google map s***, I'll show you an illustration of my idea.....

....and here it is, a depiction of what I would do w/ the B71:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=204011070939843183781.000499f9ab4d85ca59691

(Gmaps tag isn't working, so I'll just post a link to the actual map.)

- Depot (out of): Jackie Gleason (Brooklyn Division)

- span: 5am to 12 midnight

- headways: AM rush, every 10 mins... middays, every 20 mins... PM rush, every 10 mins... 8pm-12am, every 30 mins

- projected runtime, about 1 hr

- communities/neighborhoods served: Lefferts Gardens, Park Slope, Gowanus, Carroll Gardens

- purpose of route: Due to the (F) not serving lower manhattan, this bus route makes it feasible for direct access to lower manhattan.

Any questions or criticisms, fire away :tup:

I don't think the B1 needs to be extended to 95th Street. There is nothing else riders can transfer to.

Agreed with your B4, B35, and B70 ideas.

At first I didn't think that an extension of the B8 to Broadway Junction was necessary, but then I realized that there was no easy way to get from the East Flatbush area to the Cypress Hills area (you would have to take 3 buses and lose your transfer).

I still don't think enough people make that trip to make the extension worthwhile, though.

@B35 via Church: Would the route run on weekends too, or just weekdays?

god, I hate quoting myself, but:

....and here it is, a depiction of what I would do w/ the B71:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=204011070939843183781.000499f9ab4d85ca59691

(Gmaps tag isn't working, so I'll just post a link to the actual map.)

- Depot (out of): Jackie Gleason (Brooklyn Division)

- span: 5am to 12 midnight

- headways: AM rush, every 10 mins... middays, every 20 mins... PM rush, every 10 mins... 8pm-12am, every 30 mins

- projected runtime, about 1 hr

- communities/neighborhoods served: Lefferts Gardens, Park Slope, Gowanus, Carroll Gardens

- purpose of route: Due to the (F) not serving lower manhattan, this bus route makes it feasible for direct access to lower manhattan.

Any questions or criticisms, fire away :tup:

It's a good idea. I think it's fair that one Brooklyn route serves South Ferry, not 2. I would extend the B71 to Utica Av

B1 To Bay Ridge-95 St Sta

B4 To Sheepshead Bay-Knapp St all times

B8 To East New York-Broadway Jct Sta- Serving buses from East New York Bus Depot

B35 To East New York-New Lots Av Sta

B70 To Bay Ridge-95 St instead of V A Hosp

- as was said, B1 doesn't need to go to 95th... all the pax off the subway disembark at 86th, coming from manhattan, downtown bklyn, etc.... including, pax looking to xfer to other buses....

only people that ride the (R) out to 95th, are those that live in that basic vicinity....

- agree w/ the B4 idea... yes, there is a need for the route to pan out to Sheepshead, all times.... MTA got greedy in truncating the # of routes that it did....

- B8 to Broadway junction is too far-fetched.... EB east of utica, ridership tends to wane anyway (consider that distance on the B8 route b/w utica/av d & brookdale hosp)... it wouldn't be worth extending it up there IMO....

If you need to get to B-way junction in my neck o' the woods (this goes to you too, CC), you make your way to the B12 - it's why it was {justifiably} cutback to Alabama av... that's all & that's it... lol....

- you extend the B35 to New Lots (L), and you'll hear of b/o's (plural) doin more than just shoving smokers off of buses....

I dislike this idea for the simple fact that the turnaround at hegeman/M. gaston is much more manageable than it ever would be at/around the L train station...

- the B70 already serves 95th st.... May as well leave it terminating at the VA hosp., since only B8 hawks serve 95th st.....

At first I didn't think that an extension of the B8 to Broadway Junction was necessary, but then I realized that there was no easy way to get from the East Flatbush area to the Cypress Hills area (you would have to take 3 buses and lose your transfer).

I still don't think enough people make that trip to make the extension worthwhile, though.

@B35 via Church: Would the route run on weekends too, or just weekdays?

Trust me bro, no one round these parts are looking to get to Cypress hills... it's a non-factor....

you could've said the same thing about gettin to Spring Creek/Gateway mall before the 83 was extended there (takin 3 buses... what I had to do was take the 35/15/13 combo)... that's how important that slight extension was, to the rest of Brooklyn... at least you had people seeking to get down there... I know you're just giving an example in mentioning Cypress Hills, but I still thought I should point out what I did....

...and as for my B71 idea (thanks for askin btw):

- Saturdays, it would run at 1/2 hour headways from 5am-5pm... after 5pm, it would run every hour..

- Sundays, it would run every hour from 7am to 6pm... after 6pm, no service.

- as was said, B1 doesn't need to go to 95th... all the pax off the subway disembark at 86th, coming from manhattan, downtown bklyn, etc.... including, pax looking to xfer to other buses....

only people that ride the (R) out to 95th, are those that live in that basic vicinity....

- agree w/ the B4 idea... yes, there is a need for the route to pan out to Sheepshead, all times.... MTA got greedy in truncating the # of routes that it did....

- B8 to Broadway junction is too far-fetched.... EB east of utica, ridership tends to wane anyway (consider that distance on the B8 route b/w utica/av d & brookdale hosp)... it wouldn't be worth extending it up there IMO....

If you need to get to B-way junction in my neck o' the woods (this goes to you too, CC), you make your way to the B12 - it's why it was {justifiably} cutback to Alabama av... that's all & that's it... lol....

- you extend the B35 to New Lots (L), and you'll hear of b/o's (plural) doin more than just shoving smokers off of buses....

I dislike this idea for the simple fact that the turnaround at hegeman/M. gaston is much more manageable than it ever would be at/around the L train station...

- the B70 already serves 95th st.... May as well leave it terminating at the VA hosp., since only B8 hawks serve 95th st.....

Trust me bro, no one round these parts are looking to get to Cypress hills... it's a non-factor....

you could've said the same thing about gettin to Spring Creek/Gateway mall before the 83 was extended there (takin 3 buses... what I had to do was take the 35/15/13 combo)... that's how important that slight extension was, to the rest of Brooklyn... at least you had people seeking to get down there... I know you're just giving an example in mentioning Cypress Hills, but I still thought I should point out what I did....

...and as for my B71 idea (thanks for askin btw):

- Saturdays, it would run at 1/2 hour headways from 5am-5pm... after 5pm, it would run every hour..

- Sundays, it would run every hour from 7am to 6pm... after 6pm, no service.

The thing that I was wondering about the extension to the New Lots (L) station is: How do riders in Remsen Village currently get to Manhattan? Now I realize that they probably take a route to the (3) rather than going to the (L), so the extension wouldn't be that useful (since it wouldn't connect with any other bus lines).

I think the B8 should just be extended back to the 95th Street (R) station. The reason being that it connected with the S53/S79/S93, as well as the B63. As a compromise the B70 could be cut back to the B37's former terminal. Riders who need to go to the VA Hospital can just transfer to the B8.

Might extending the B67 (B67) to DUMBO from Sands and Jay Streets be a good idea? Maybe the B67 can connect with the (F) at York Street?

I think the B25 terminal would be better. Riders along Jay Street can use the Jay Street-Borough Hall station (or Metrotech, or whatever they call it)

The thing that I was wondering about the extension to the New Lots (L) station is: How do riders in Remsen Village currently get to Manhattan? Now I realize that they probably take a route to the (3) rather than going to the (L), so the extension wouldn't be that useful (since it wouldn't connect with any other bus lines).

I think the B8 should just be extended back to the 95th Street (R) station. The reason being that it connected with the S53/S79/S93, as well as the B63. As a compromise the B70 could be cut back to the B37's former terminal. Riders who need to go to the VA Hospital can just transfer to the B8.

I think the B25 terminal would be better. Riders along Jay Street can use the Jay Street-Borough Hall station (or Metrotech, or whatever they call it)

I agree Checkmate that the (B8) should be extended back to the 95th St Station full time which was every other B8 starting/ending at the main Brooklyn VA Medical Center. Right now that route is extended to 95th late evenings/overnights only i.e. 10pm-6am daily. The ridership was there but the (MTA) trying to be cheap and cute were forcing for the (B70)ridership to increase in that coordior between the (R) station and the VA Hosptial.

Whoops! I meant the New Lots Av on the (3).

lol...

that's even worse !

Those riders you're speaking of, take the 47 to the (3), moreso than the 17 to the (3)....

Virtually no one in this general area backtrack to take the L... But I will say, the people that live closer to church/98th, do opt to take (L)'s over (3)'s.... most the ridership at New Lots (L) emanate from residents of the immediate area, obviously, and B15 riders coming from the east (of that station), moreso than from the west of it....

I also agree that the B8 should've stayed at 95th... even though those 95th st buses came few & far between, that's a hell of a lot better than only what, 3 or 4 late night runs running from there.... What I didn't like about the runs out of 95th, were that, they'd arrive late, stall/layover for like 15 mins, and then took their sweet time (purposefully, IMO) between 95th itself, and 18th av (D)....

about the DUMBO thing... I agree w/ EE; but I think they're gonna end up doin that, not to the 67, but to the B69.... as 67 service has gotten worse, 69 service has gotten noticably much better.... honestly, I think they're looking to rid itself of the 67, long term, and work on improving the 69....

So the MTA would end up eliminating the B67 and having passengers take the B69 to Flatbush Avenue for the B41 (or make the longer trip via Vanderbilt Avenue)? I'm assuming this means weekend service would be restored.

In general if the (MTA) had it's way IMO about 40-50% of the bus routes in NYC wouid be canned and thus force riders to take the subway at all times.

So the MTA would end up eliminating the B67 and having passengers take the B69 to Flatbush Avenue for the B41 (or make the longer trip via Vanderbilt Avenue)? I'm assuming this means weekend service would be restored.

....or have people in park slope take 61's to 57's.

(both situations of which I find comical)

not for nothin though, but those riders have waxed poetic (about "their" line) & cried foul (over any proposals) regarding the (F).... but that doesn't mean they [MTA] have to look to maybe possibly taking away the 67 (which I hope aint the case)... b/c it aint just park slopians (lol) that utilize the route... the 67 (before the 69 extension) was an important connector to bringing ppl to the church av...

The 67/35 connection was prevalent back then... over the years, you notice that a few ppl. here, a few ppl there, are no longer waiting for the bus, and are just sayin 'to hell with it', and takin the train... the (G) extension had a role in the diminishment (of importance) of the 67/35 xfer scenario, as well as the B69 extension...

now you wait at the 67/69 church/mcdonald stop (NB), and you don't see much of a crowd at all.... again, just b/c they added that 2nd route along 7th av, didn't (and doesn't) mean that service got better....

the more I think about how the B67 used to be, compared to what it is now (a shell of its former self IMO), something is not adding up....

....or have people in park slope take 61's to 57's.

(both situations of which I find comical)

not for nothin though, but those riders have waxed poetic (about "their" line) & cried foul (over any proposals) regarding the (F).... but that doesn't mean they [MTA] have to look to maybe possibly taking away the 67 (which I hope aint the case)... b/c it aint just park slopians (lol) that utilize the route... the 67 (before the 69 extension) was an important connector to bringing ppl to the church av...

The 67/35 connection was prevalent back then... over the years, you notice that a few ppl. here, a few ppl there, are no longer waiting for the bus, and are just sayin 'to hell with it', and takin the train... the (G) extension had a role in the diminishment (of importance) of the 67/35 xfer scenario, as well as the B69 extension...

now you wait at the 67/69 church/mcdonald stop (NB), and you don't see much of a crowd at all.... again, just b/c they added that 2nd route along 7th av, didn't (and doesn't) mean that service got better....

the more I think about how the B67 used to be, compared to what it is now (a shell of its former self IMO), something is not adding up....

Don't forget alot in the senior/ADA community still use the B67. Other than Church Ave none of the (F)(G) stations between Kensignton and the Downtown Brooklyn area is ADA ready.

Basically those are so that express bus riders can transfer to other express buses. You'd probably be surprised how many people transfer from one express bus to another, but it happens a lot especially over by Fingerboard Road. The old timers basically know all of the express bus transfer points (the official and unofficial ones). To clear up your confusion here are the ones that I know of officially and unofficially:

1. Narrows Road North at Fingerboard Road AND Narrows Road North at Hylan Blvd, although most just get off and on at Fingerboard to make the switch. I've never seen anyone get on at Hylan. They probably are afraid that the express bus wouldn't stop.

2. Narrows Road South at Fingerboard Road AND Narrows Road South at Hylan Blvd, although most just get off at Hylan Blvd to make the switch since that's usually where most of the crowding is and they'll more likely to get a seat incase the bus is SRO.

3. Another one that I see happens in the city. Some people will get on at the first drop off stop because the buses usually empty out there which means they don't have to worry about crowding issues and also they have more options should their bus not come. Before the cuts I used to see people do it with the X1, but it also has become popular with the X14 too since it now stops Downtown, does the semi-loop and then heads to Midtown. The ones in the city are unofficial ones since theoretically they are "Drop-Off" only stops, but most B/Os know the deal. :cool:

As far as express bus riders go, they know they can basically get off at any point during which the express bus picks up passengers to transfer. For example I have missed express buses, gotten on other express buses to chase the other down, then get off and get the other one. Sometimes you may get a look, but quite frankly I could give two f*cks. :P

Also, there are those who will get on in the city to take the express bus Downtown because they don't want to deal with the subway, then they'll get off and they'll get the look. If I'm in a rush or don't feel like dealing with crowded local buses or subways, I do it too. Much more comfortable, especially during the rush hour. That's why I love having the unlimited card and I use it every chance I can to ride the express bus and get my $50.00 worth. :cool:

The other express bus transfer points you mentioned make sense because X10 and X17 riders interchange quite a bit. I mean theoretically, someone from Port Richmond could hop on the X10, take that down to Richmond Ave for a good 5 minutes or so where the X10 meets up with the X17 and then get on the X17C and be in the city in 20 minutes. I used to take car service over to the X17 on Saturdays and it was great that way, but now I find the X1 to be just about as quick and it also comes more often. :cool:

Someone rang the bell on 23st going East on an X38 , and the bus stopped at 1ave and the man sitting right behind the driver got OFF.

I thought that was weird.

Archived