Stuck in a tunnel for Track reasons

Abba

4 hours for trackwork that sounds kinda crazy.I would freak out.What was the reaction of the other passengers. Did they let anyone leave the train and walk?

We were under the East River, so nobody was going anywhere. There were no other passengers in my car, so I don't know about them.

I would have left the train, getting a little dirty is a sacrifice I can deal with compared to being trapped on the train for more than 45 minutes. Just stay on the side walkway and dont enter the track bed and youre O.K. I dont know how these people get stuck on the runway on planes for 5+ hours straight. Seems like a reasonable excuse to jump out the emergency door and down the chute. If some whining baby flight attendant can do it, Im sure it would be justified for a emotinally unstable clsoterphobic airline passenger to get away with.. ;P

Its every man for himself in my eyes. This is NYC, home of the eternal rat race where the rats are all stepping on each other to try to get ahead.

I would have left the train, getting a little dirty is a sacrifice I can deal with compared to being trapped on the train for more than 45 minutes. Just stay on the side walkway and dont enter the track bed and youre O.K. I dont know how these people get stuck on the runway on planes for 5+ hours straight. Seems like a reasonable excuse to jump out the emergency door and down the chute. If some whining baby flight attendant can do it, Im sure it would be justified for a emotinally unstable clsoterphobic airline passenger to get away with.. ;P

Its every man for himself in my eyes. This is NYC, home of the eternal rat race where the rats are all stepping on each other to try to get ahead.

How the heck was I supposed to get off? I was nervous just going between cars for a smoke! Was I supposed to walk all the way to Brooklyn then get arrested when I emerged from the tunnel?

And for the airplane thing, its completely against the law to touch the doors, or go out to the tarmac which is restricted area. I would rather be inconvenienced than behind bars any day of the week.

No has to be in a tunnel.You had the option to leave, unless the door was closed.

Outside is like in a tunnel.Just you can listen to your radio talk on the phone etc..So i'ts not as bad.

I was in the 7th car & the train stopped halfway getting out.

Earlier I mentioned my (4) train experience. I noticed a couple of people have mentioned commuter rail stops, as well. Boy, did I get stuck once on a NJ Transit/Metro North Port Jervis Line train. SEVEN hours sitting in the Bergen Tunnel east of West End Juinction.

It was during the major nor'easter that came through in 1996. Some of you may remember that the water levels rose so high that the PATH trains, some subways, and even Hoboken Terminal were flooded. NJ Transit had to stop all train service in the Meadowlands since Hoboken Terminal was flooded. With so many trains stuck in the Meadowlands, it took them hours to get all of the stuck trains reversed and sent back to their far-point terminals (Suffern, Spring Valley, Port Jervis, Waldwick, Dover, etc).

Since I was on an early train (the first morning train from Port Jervis) that morning, we had to wait until all of the trains behind us were first moved. All I can say is thank God for push-pull diesel technology. I can't even imagine how much longer it would have taken to get everyone back to their starting points from where they were stuck if it had been with early pull only diesels like the E8 and RS-2 locos that EL ran.

How the heck was I supposed to get off? I was nervous just going between cars for a smoke! Was I supposed to walk all the way to Brooklyn then get arrested when I emerged from the tunnel?

And for the airplane thing, its completely against the law to touch the doors, or go out to the tarmac which is restricted area. I would rather be inconvenienced than behind bars any day of the week.

Im not saying you should have. Im saying it would wig me out personally being on there more than 45 mins without moving.

One time on the (N), in the middle of the 60th street tunnel, a lady freaked out that the train had stopped (for delays) and she pulled the emergency chord. We were stuck for like 50 minutes or so.

Ugggggh.. I swear like that gets on my nerves so bad! why do ppl freak out when the train stops for a slight delay! It's only gonna be like a minute until the train proceeds(Most of the time anyway). But cmon! Some ppl on the subway are so dimwitted! Which is why now I only take the subway WHEN I NEED TO!!

Two weeks ago headed to Brighton Beach on the (:o, the train was right behind the (Q) train already stuck at DeKalb Avenue due to a sick passenger at the station. I watched two (:o trains and two (Q) trains using the Bypass tracks at DeKalb Avenue, don't know which lines they were going either the (D) or (N), I don't recall. The (:o I was stuck in that area for well over 25 minutes.

Also a (Q) train also stalled at Prospect Park as well.

not my videos, R32 (E) train Evacuation at Northern Blvd (From Express Tracks):

part 2

you can see an R46 (V) train in this one:

Part 3

I wonder how long they got stuck in there...

The guy said in the video and hour and a half.That was some day back in 2007.

I don't remember the longest time but here are.

1. When MetroCard introduce on Bee-Line Bus, I did not know about East River tunnel incident and I was taking Babylon Branch to starting point at Babylon and heading to Croton-Harmon goal point via bus/subway, I was stuck in Penn Station for few moments, but made 3 minute to N72 bus. I had 7-Day Express Bus Plus, so I had to paid $2.25 and got transfer to N6.

2. When HSES was holding Saturday RCT Tuturing, school give me special program pass for this event and this was time when uptown (2) and (5) was switching places before old South Ferry was closed.

I remember uptown (5) via 7th Av got stuck somewhere around Cortlandt St.

3. When there was delay on (7) train, I was stuck for more than few minutes on Flushing-bound <7> express.

Archived