Yay! M.T.A. To Renovate Dozens Of Subway Stations

EE Broadway Local

I'm not sure if this includes stations on the Concourse Line or Chambers Street but the M.T.A. announced today that long-neglected subway stations in The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens will get major makeovers.

The work begins with the Hunter's Point station on the (7)<7> this summer. Seneca Avenue (M) (the subway station most in need of a rehab) will also get a makeover this year.

Over the next four years, twenty-seven other stations on the (3)(6)(A)(F) and (M) lines are slated for refurbishment.

The renovations are part of the M.T.A.'s $455 million Passenger Station Renewal Program.

Story and Video (With a (7) R62A train): http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/

They are done renovating Neck road and Avenue U stations on Q and B lines. But the process sucks ass, because I had to go to Sheepshead Bay to get to Manhattan when the Manhattan side was being renovated and had to get off at Sheepshead to get to neck road when Coney island bound was renovating.

Good news to hear. Just wondering if any of the stations being fixed up will also become ADA ready for the disabled?

I'm not sure if this includes stations on the Concourse Line or Chambers Street but the M.T.A. announced today that long-neglected subway stations in The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens will get major makeovers.

The work begins with the Hunter's Point station on the (7)<7> this summer. Seneca Avenue (M) (the subway station most in need of a rehab) will also get a makeover this year.

Over the next four years, twenty-seven other stations on the (3)(6)(A)(F) and (M) lines are slated for refurbishment.

The renovations are part of the M.T.A.'s $455 million Passenger Station Renewal Program.

Story and Video (With a (7) R62A train): http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/

Probably not, since they said Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. Chambers street is so gross right now, but the ridership can't be high enough to warrant the money.

Check it out during rush hour and tell me its not high enough. It shouldn't matter how many people use the station for them to make sure it doesn't look like its on the brink of collapse. Or they continue to let it rot, something falls on someone, injures them or kills them and the MTA gets another suit on their hands.

Check it out during rush hour and tell me its not high enough. It shouldn't matter how many people use the station for them to make sure it doesn't look like its on the brink of collapse. Or they continue to let it rot, something falls on someone, injures them or kills them and the MTA gets another suit on their hands.

All stations have high traffic during rush hour; a better test is to see how many people use it outside or rush. Also, I used to use the station a lot when the (M) was running along 4th Ave and I never found that a lot of people were there in the morning, nor the evening rush. That being said, I think it is highly in need of a makeover, but I think there are certainly more pressing needs and more deserving stations.

I wonder when the (MTA) plans to renovate the IRT 42nd St (S) at TSQ. Thats the only platform at TSQ that needs it.

why cant they make the track 4 platform longer? its ridiculously short!

and have platform extenders that are up to the platform, not about a half a foot below the platform.

Yes!

I bet Chambers Street (J)(Mx)(Z) is not in the list :P

It badly needs renovation.

Chambers Street is getting renovation but it not on this list that it needs attention.

Good news to hear. Just wondering if any of the stations being fixed up will also become ADA ready for the disabled?

None of the stations will get wheelchair accessible or on the ADA key station list, majority of the stations are elevated stations, just 1 underground station on (7) line. None of the news reports noted full ADA ready just they need to be pretty it up...

These aren't those major rehabs that require 24/7 closures of platforms, right?

Looks like we'll be seeing more TSQ-QBP weekend shutdowns, to the LIC resident's anger!

This is probably a temporarily closure of the platforms, it may required some shutdowns.

Essex St Bowery Canal St And Chambers St Need An Overhaul 9th ave on the

(D) as well Convert The Abandond Platform Into A Terminal

The entire West End (D) line is getting renovated, no need to build new terminal at 9 Av to waste more money.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who want to see MTA's "Passenger Station Renewal Program" list, its on the Daily News website....

... "In addition to Hunters Point Av (7) and Seneca Av (M), the other stations targeted in the next four years or so are:

Fresh Pond Road and Forest, Knickerbocker and Central Aves. on the (M) line;

80th, 88th, 104th and 111th Sts. and Rockaway and Lefferts Blvds. on the (A) line;

Ditmas and 18th Aves., Bay Parkway and Avenues I, P, U and X on the (F) line;

Sutter, Saratoga, Rockaway, Pennsylvania and Van Siclen Aves and Junius St. on the No. (3) line;

Middletown Road and Buhre, Zerega and Castle Hill Aves. on the No. (6) line."...

link: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/01/24/2011-01-24_29_stations_in_qns_bklyn_bx_to_get_makeover.html#ixzz1BzIFfd69

Why use the abandoned Ninth Avenue lower level. I don't see much use in it. They should just get rid of it.

You can't get rid of it per se, the middle track is used to get garbage out of the system. The outer tracks end just outside of the portal but they could lay up trains if necessary. But to be quite frank, I don't think those tracks have been used in a long time.

and have platform extenders that are up to the platform, not about a half a foot below the platform.

How can it if the IRT Broadway is north of it and the curve.

Ha, too bad "ASAP" really means five years from now in the MTA's world.

Wrong. ASAP in (MTA) language means As Soon As we damn well Please. :P

Weren't they suppose to close that track and only operate 1 and 3?

Didn't the MTA say that somewhere? Any new stations will certainly be ADA ready for sure and any underground stations that are new will have air conditioning, per the MTA.

Besides the cavern at Chambers St on the Nassau line, 205 St, Broadway & 21 St on the G and the Sea Beach stations are atrocious. Those are worse than most of the stations listed in my opinion but any renovation is better than nothing.

At the very least they should fix up the western part of the station. One of these decades they should align the downtown 'express track' to connect to the uptown track and make it a 2 track station. Let the other part of the station rot.

Weren't they suppose to close that track and only operate 1 and 3?

I agree, that would consolidate all 10 cars on 2 tracks and would eliminate 2 t/os. That would probably be the ultimate goal of the rennovation [that plus track 4 is hardly ever used outside of rush hours]. What I don't like about the rennovation is that the tracks will end right before where the current platform is [before the tracks curve] from what I've read.

Archived