Open door on crowded, cold and late MetroNorth train

Nova RTS 9147

no. if someone manages to push a door panel open while a train is moving, the conductor will lose indication in that zone. the train doesn't automatically stop, the conductor instructs the train operator to stop. as someone stated, acceleration, or in this case rapid deceleration, can cause the door panel to swing open if it has a dead motor. the train needs to come to a smooth stop for passenger safety.

So it is possible for a subway train to move with its doors open?

Wow, I was under the impression that if the doors were opened while the train was in motion it would go BIE.

See, you learn something new every day. Actually a subway car can move with all doors open, if necessary, by use of the side door bypass switch. If the train is in passenger service it must be discharged at the first opportunity unless someone very high up in the chain of command says otherwise. The rules on LIRR and Metro-North may be different, though.

You know they should alerted the damn crew instead of recording and TELLING THE MEDIA.. Imagine the man next to the door falls out.. Then they SUE the (MTA) becuz of this crap.. They blame the (MTA) for safety but the idiot next to the door is just plain stupid for standing there.

Like always people find stupid ways to make the (MTA) look bad..

For this M2 hopefully a tuneup comes in, even for all the M2s with the delays of the M8s.

See, you learn something new every day. Actually a subway car can move with all doors open, if necessary, by use of the side door bypass switch. If the train is in passenger service it must be discharged at the first opportunity unless someone very high up in the chain of command says otherwise. The rules on LIRR and Metro-North may be different, though.

Excessive snow accumulation in the door pockets tends to foul normal trainline operations.

Unless a Metro-North employee on this site posts the pertinent rules, or lets me know that it's OK to do so, I'm not going to openly quote the Metro-North Equipment Handling or Operations Rulebooks. However, the policies for door defects during passenger train service are a bit more conditional that what the Transit rulebook seems to call for.

The train was very crowded, SRO. What train was this this. Is the New Haven lot very short cars due to the harsh winter. Hopefully this will be the last winter for this problem as the M8's are put in service during 2011. I commuted 6 months from Stamford to GCT back in 2002, a very warm winter. Biggest problem with the M2's back then was non working A/C in a hot summer. Lack of seats was a common problem on the New Haven line. 5PM weekday trains to GCT are SRO. Even a midnight train from GCT on a Friday night can come close to SRO if there is some event at MSG.

But seriously, that idiot standing right next to the open door on a train that's going well above 55. Dipsheet.

What's wrong with that? As long as he doesn't enable himself to fall out of the open door, there's hardly any danger in standing there.

I've stood next to open doors on moving trains before, it's hardly a cause for concern.

What's wrong with that? As long as he doesn't enable himself to fall out of the open door, there's hardly any danger in standing there.

I've stood next to open doors on moving trains before, it's hardly a cause for concern.

You want to know what I find wrong with that? People sue for everything. If that guy had flown out that door and got injured/died, I bet you there would be a lawsuit started against the MTA.

That's a gripe with the overly litigious nature of society these days, not one with the simple act of standing near an open door on a moving railcar.

It's not a problem to stand there, as long as you don't try to sue for your own actions.

Bomb trains are usually pretty good with the doors, the M2 and M3's are the most problematic.

There are several sections of what to do with door failure in the MNR operations manual, based on a bunch of different things... Loss of door light, random door openings, etc.

It's very common for yard crews to break the seals on the door bypass to move equipment around the yard.

Budd didn't touch one M2. It was built by GE and Vickers who also built the SEPTA Silverliner IVs, and Arrow III units in the same plant. The M2 and Arrow aren't cold friendly but the bastard, The Silverliner IV is doing well this winter. Only 16 went outta service this winter. Budd units are prone to problems tho. Budd was a swing or miss company. Look at how many RDCs are still in service since 1950 without a kink and then look at the SPV who only lasted 10 years as self-propelled cars.

Comet Vs, Arrow IIIs, a few of SEPTA push-pull cars, and the M1s were notorious for their doors going off the track.

Budd only licensed the design to GE and Vickers,Which Is why they are GE manufacturer plates in every M2 and not Budd.

Just because it's been done doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do. While under normal circumstances nothing will likely happen, normal could turn unexpected at the drop of a hat. The train could dump causing unexpected movement. Debris could kick up from another train. Heck, a few months back people had debris falling on them while they were minding their own business sitting in a seat as a set of pant's came off a train penetrating the roof. Stuff happens, lets not get injured when it can be avoided.

Excessive snow accumulation in the door pockets tends to foul normal trainline operations.

Unless one or the employees on this site post the pertinent rules, or let me know that it's OK to do so, I'm not going to openly quote the Metro-North Equipment Handling or Operations Rulebooks. However, the policies for door defects during passenger train service are a bit more conditional that what the Transit rulebook seems to call for.

Thanks for helping me out there. That's why I worded my post the way I did. Railroad rules and Transit rules are not the same although I believe it all boils down to safety first in the long run no matter where you work.

Thanks for helping me out there. That's why I worded my post the way I did. Railroad rules and Transit rules are not the same although I believe it all boils down to safety first in the long run no matter where you work.

Without a doubt. Any public benefit corporation that does not hold the safety of its fare-paying customers in the highest regard, even if for no other reason than to limit potential liabilities and litigations, is really just not of any benefit to the public.

What I don't understand is why you would record this and not go get a crew member? Everyone standing near this door and the guy taking the video are the real idiots. Can you sue for stupidity? So if the guy next to the door flew out or got hurt from debris flying in, you all would sue to MTA. Why not sue everyone who just stood there and not let the crew know about this? Idiots.

Archived