M-9 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/14/2022 at 12:07 PM, Railfanner Jake said:

9155-9156 is now the first pair to be accepted for revenue service in four months. Currently running on train 424 to Port Washington. Testing proceeds with a test train running to KO with 9085-9086 leading. 

I'm not sure why they slapped 9085-9086 to that set, I saw that set with 9143-9144/9171-9172 last week deadheading to Ronkonkoma. But that set is now back on a regular service train.

9185-9186 with 4 other cars were testing this week between Ronkonkoma and Bethpage.

9143-9144 in service as of yesterday morning. 9167-68 seems to be the newest test train pair. The last 14 cars in Nebraska are coming at a slower than usual rate due to labor and parts shortages. The plant in Nebraska has a turn over rate of up to 50 workers a month based on what was said at CPOC. September 2023 is the new date for conditional acceptance of the last car. Sad but not much can be done. As for the last car. 9202 has pretty much been fully built on its exterior portion and continues to make its way down the assembly line. New training methods and other ways to keep workers and create higher build quality  are implemented with heavy MTA oversight (Babysitting) due to the not so functional management at the Lincoln plant in particular. This will help the R211 fleet not run into the same issues that we have dealt with. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, Railfanner Jake said:

9143-9144 in service as of yesterday morning. 9167-68 seems to be the newest test train pair. The last 14 cars in Nebraska are coming at a slower than usual rate due to labor and parts shortages. The plant in Nebraska has a turn over rate of up to 50 workers a month based on what was said at CPOC. September 2023 is the new date for conditional acceptance of the last car. Sad but not much can be done. As for the last car. 9202 has pretty much been fully built on its exterior portion and continues to make its way down the assembly line. New training methods and other ways to keep workers and create higher build quality  are implemented with heavy MTA oversight (Babysitting) due to the not so functional management at the Lincoln plant in particular. This will help the R211 fleet not run into the same issues that we have dealt with. 

On 6/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, Railfanner Jake said:

I think it’s probably wishful thinking as it relates to the R211 subway cars. Whatever the labor-management issue is at this plant and the (MTA) babysitting job would seem to be an ongoing problem with Kawasaki. Let’s not get too giddy that we overlook this. Just my take. Carry on.

• 1 month later...

Not exactly the best news out of the book. CPOC has announced that the last 44 cars will not be accepted till next year… At this point, the only cars left for this year should be 9093-9094-9095-9096 and the remaining 9120 series. Hopefully 9013-9014-9015-9016 as well. Anything 9157-9202 with the exception of 9161-9162 and 9171-9172 which are already running will probably not be taken in until then unless a switch around happens. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

How many more M9’s need to be ordered before the order is complete. 
To be honest I wish the LIRR would refurbish  the M7’s and put some of the M9 features in them because a lot of the M7’s look busted up the inside with arm rest that a falling off, tape on the seats to cover the holes, the windows that you can barely see out of and the bathrooms that can use a little sprucing up. Was on an M7 yesterday where there was a panel inside the bathroom that wouldn’t close so it kept on swing around when the train would move. The M7’s need some TLC. 

On 12/25/2022 at 10:18 AM, Railfanner Jake said:

9159-9160 entered Service on 6025, a new pair for Christmas Day ! Merry Christmas everyone 

Those cars were in service a few days before Christmas. I saw them in service during the week on the Long Beach branch.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:36 PM, 40MntVrn said:

You get on a limited-stop run with those Arrorw's, it can feel like the car might fly right off the track. When I used to commute to Metropark daily, the express train I took was usually an Arrow set--as I exited the train each morning, I could smell the brakes after the set quickly came down from 80mph.

As a student engineer in NJT, the smell of brakes on the Arrows still happens.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 9:45 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

How many more M9’s need to be ordered before the order is complete. 
To be honest I wish the LIRR would refurbish  the M7’s and put some of the M9 features in them because a lot of the M7’s look busted up the inside with arm rest that a falling off, tape on the seats to cover the holes, the windows that you can barely see out of and the bathrooms that can use a little sprucing up. Was on an M7 yesterday where there was a panel inside the bathroom that wouldn’t close so it kept on swing around when the train would move. The M7’s need some TLC. 

You cannot put M9 features in them...

• 4 weeks later...

Been lazy lately. Two more pairs recently entered service. 9165-9166 at least a month or so ago. 9179-9180 also entered service during the first days of the GCM shuttle, got the chance to ride it myself. 9163-9164 was also delivered by freight on January 25th. A few other cars remain at Yonkers. The last couple of cars or so still at Lincoln. 

23 hours ago, NBTA said:

Speaking of M9s, one 2 car set has been graffiti’ed up, it’s currently sitting in LIC, couldn’t get the number as I was on a (7) train.

Of course smh. These lowlifes can’t appreciate the good things we have. If they wanted to tag up something so badly why can’t they tag up their own stuff? Probably a bunch of kids and they will never truly appreciate things until they buy their own. Best believe if someone were to key their own car or tag it up they would have a fit. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From what was read on this thread, there's at least 30 M9s that's left to be delivered. Could be less but so far, I've seen units between 9001-9188 in-service. Although, there can be missing gaps but most are in-service. 

Edited by Calvin