The most powerful winter storm ever recorded threatens 33 states

East New York

When there's so much snow accumulated, I can't even open the front door (literally, stuck in the house), that's when I'll call it a "superstorm"....

otherwise, as Urban said... this is winter... we're in the NE region... we're supposed to get snow... hell, after the few amt's of snow we've been gettin the last few years, we were due to get hit sooner or later anyway....

At 10:00pm, Phoenix is clear and 47 degrees. The wind is north at 21 mph. The relative humidity is 11% and the dew point is -3 degrees. There literally is no moisture in the air here.

Prescott, Arizona is clear and 17 degrees. The wind is north at 17 mph. The relative humidity is 10% and the dew point is -4 degrees.

Flagstaff, Arizona is clear and 8 degrees. The wind is north at 15 mph. The relative humidity is 9% and the dew point is -4 degrees.

Tucson is clear and 47 degrees. The wind is northwest at 9 mph. The relative humidity is 13% and the dew point is 0 degrees.

When there's so much snow accumulated, I can't even open the front door (literally, stuck in the house), that's when I'll call it a "superstorm"....

otherwise, as Urban said... this is winter... we're in the NE region... we're supposed to get snow... hell, after the few amt's of snow we've been gettin the last few years, we were due to get hit sooner or later anyway....

It is a superstorm though. NYC just isn't going to get slammed, but half of the country is and has. The National Guard had to be mobilized in some states.

Why do people complain about snow but then cry "climate change" when it doesn't happen?

I have no problem with the working though a snowstorm....I like the OT!:P

But, we've had a snowstorm every week since Christmas and a brotha can only deal with but so many 4 day paychecks!

I have no problem with the working though a snowstorm....I like the OT!:P

But, we've had a snowstorm every week since Christmas and a brotha can only deal with but so many 4 day paychecks!

At least in Chicago you not in middle of the superstorm. That blizzard has paralyzed the windy city and as of 1pm NY time today 20-plus inches. That 2nd all time to the infamous 1967 blizzard.

http://WWW.WGNTV.COM

Not to mention places from Dallas to Tulsa, OK which are not used to snow/ice getting buried as well.

MI and OH got slammed too.

This should intrest EASTNY. Here Chicago Tribune article in which the blame game has already begun. The issue is whether Lake Shore Drive (their version of the FDR Drive)should have even stayed open.

Thankfully as of tonight 2/2/11 no one died.

I am sure lawsuits are coming.

http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/severe/chicago-snow/chibrknews-lake-shore-drive-closed-due-to-blizzard-20110201,0,2786083.story

This should interest EASTNY. Here Chicago Tribune article in which the blame game has already begun. The issue is whether Lake Shore Drive (their version of the FDR Drive)should have even stayed open.

http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/severe/chicago-snow/chibrknews-lake-shore-drive-closed-due-to-blizzard-20110201,0,2786083.story

People complain about the US becoming a nanny state, but thats because we have no sense of personal responsibility.

This storm has been forcasted for at least a week. There was a press conference to tell people to stay home and they still came out. Thats not the city's fault that people are morons.

At some point the press conferences are gonna have to be plain and simple: STAY THE F**K HOME!

People complain about the US becoming a nanny state, but thats because we have no sense of personal responsibility.

This storm has been forcasted for at least a week. There was a press conference to tell people to stay home and they still came out. Thats not the city's fault that people are morons.

At some point the press conferences are gonna have to be plain and simple: STAY THE F**K HOME!

Even if you had to work and I was living in the Chicago area, I would have taken the 'el' and parked my car at a parking lot for rest of the trip home.

Unlike NYC subways, at most of the city limits the CTA does have 'park and ride locations' from 95th St on the South Side for instance.

This is not a 'hick' places like Tulsa, OK. So BZ you make a great point.

This should intrest EASTNY. Here Chicago Tribune article in which the blame game has already begun. The issue is whether Lake Shore Drive (their version of the FDR Drive)should have even stayed open.

I'm sorry, but after Chitown officials said a blizzard was imminent with snow up to 24", anybody who still decided to go out was just plain stupid!

Oh no, this is the best winter I've ever experienced. It's been gorgeous to look at the fresh snow, and it hasn't been that cold (not 18 degrees as the high anyway).

I'm happy that its been a snowy winter because I can make some extra money shoveling for people. Unfortunately, I have to shovel my own walk as well.

The best was that time when it snowed and schools stayed open, but then they said that the abscence didn't count for people who didn't show up. I got to stay home from school, shovel snow and make money, and go to my after school job which was dependant on schools staying open.

So the snow out front has an ice crust on it, you can put a 24 pack of water on it, slide it around, push down on it...... But... Toss it or drop it even a few inches, and it doesn't bust open, it just sticks into the snow the same angle it flew through the air in.. Also stuff skates across it like glass.

- A

Brutal Artic-like cold has arrived here in Arizona! The cold is setting records like mad! :tup:

First, the official low temperature at Sky Harbor was 29 degrees then today (Wednesday February 2, 2011) the official high temperature at Sky Harbor only made 45 degrees! This is our coldest Winter daytime high in more than twenty five years.

Next, it was so cold and bone-dry that we suffered a late night blackout! Mesa was back in one or two hours but Apache Junction was slower in coming back.

Tucson had an official low temperature of 20 degrees then today (Wednesday February 2, 2011) the official high temperature only made 42 degrees!

Temperatures From Around The Region At 11:00pm MST:

Phoenix (1,100 feet): Clear; 36 degrees; Wind east at 17 mph; Relative humidity 14% Dew point -8 degrees.

Tucson (2,100 feet): Clear; 27 degrees; Wind east at 9 mph; Relative humidity 32% Dew point 1 degree

Yuma (125 feet): Partly Cloudy; 41 degrees; Wind north at 3 mph; Relative humidity 11% Dew point -9 degrees (Yuma was 52 degrees today)

Prescott (5,280 feet): Clear; 10 degrees; Wind west at 5 mph; Relative humidity 25% Dew point -19 degrees (Prescott was 27 degrees today)

Flagstaff (6,900 feet): Clear; 4 degrees; Wind east at 20 mph; Relative humidity 32% Dew point -20 degrees (Flagstaff was 20 degrees today)

Kingman (3,300 feet): Clear 17 degrees; Wind north at 3 mph; Relative humidity 26% Dew point -12 degrees (Kingman was 36 degrees today)

Lake Havasu City (840 feet): Clear; 36 degrees; Wind north at 8 mph; Relative humidity 24% Dew point 1 degree; (Lake Havasu City was 50 degrees today)

Mesa (1,200 feet): Clear; 36 degrees; Wind east at 17 mph; Relative humidity 20% Dew point 0 degrees

Las Vegas, Nevada: Clear; 34 degrees; Wind calm; Relative humidity 17% Dew point -6 degrees (Las Vegas was 41 degrees today)

Albuquerque, New Mexico: Clear; 1 degree; Wind east at 8 mph; Relative humidity 59% Dew point -10 degrees (Albuquerque was 9 degrees today)

San Diego, California: Clear; 53 degrees; Wind east at 6 mph; Relative humidity 9% Dew point -3 degrees (San Diego was 64 degrees today)

WTF?? Sydney? That's unheard of!!:eek:

It's the middle of summer!

It's actually miles away from Sydney. Far North Queensland. Between Cairns and Townsville(Which is well north of Brisbane.

Summertime is usually the cyclone season. Very common for the Northern coastline of Australia.

I just came back from Miami, Florida. All I can say is: a 2~3 hour flight brings you to tremendously different climates. Florida is like summer in New York. When I got off the plane in Florida last week, people were looking at me funny since I was dressed heavily and everyone else was dressed skimpily.

Archived