Subway Riders Get Stuck In Exit To Nowhere

EE Broadway Local

At a subway station in Lower Manhattan some riders got caught inside an exit leading to nowhere, forcing them to pay to reenter, only to exit elsewhere. NY1 Transit Reporter John Mancini filed the following report.

No, it's not a The Twilight Zone episode featuring our subway (though I can picture Mr. Rod Serling making a similiar introduction.).

The exit to nowhere is the John Street exit at Fulton Street (J)/(Z) which is open (normally) 6:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday.

But at 5:50pm on a Wednesday, for some reason, it was already closed for the night. That's when it became the exit leading to nowhere.

Story and video from NY1: http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/

At a subway station in Lower Manhattan some riders got caught inside an exit leading to nowhere, forcing them to pay to reenter, only to exit elsewhere. NY1 Transit Reporter John Mancini filed the following report.

No, it's not a The Twilight Zone episode featuring our subway (though I can picture Mr. Rod Serling making a similiar introduction.).

The exit to nowhere is the John Street exit at Fulton Street (J)/(Z) which is open (normally) 6:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday.

But at 5:50pm on a Wednesday, for some reason, it was already closed for the night. That's when it became the exit leading to nowhere.

Story and video from NY1: http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/

Anybody remembers Subway Stories?

At a subway station in Lower Manhattan some riders got caught inside an exit leading to nowhere, forcing them to pay to reenter, only to exit elsewhere.

That's a common problem in Manhattan. Building owners agree to put in and maintain subway entrances or other public spaces in order to get "zoning bonuses" (permission to build a larger building than would otherwise be allowed) but then they refuse to honor their agreements.

Can't believe some people actually paid to get back in only to exit through another exit. You think I would be wasting a precious fare? Hopping it is!

they cant hop, that exit uses HEETs.

Though Im confused only sometimes they forget to lock the Turnstile or was it only that time...

And it would be a nightmare if you exit around 9pm, the HEETs are not accepting any cards so you cant get through and theres no exit, what do you do? :eek:

And it would be a nightmare if you exit around 9pm, the HEETs are not accepting any cards so you cant get through and theres no exit, what do you do? :eek:

If so, I would of ask a person thats about to go through if I can squeeze in w/ 'em. After telling that person why of course.

And how does that person get in, if the HEETs are not accepting any cards?

Better hope someone sees you so that person can get the agent. Otherwise it's gonna be a long night...

• 2 weeks later...
they cant hop, that exit uses HEETs.

Though Im confused only sometimes they forget to lock the Turnstile or was it only that time...

4590512.jpg&sa=X&ei=S1BWTfK-MpH1gAfD5cmdDA&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Ew&usg=AFQjCNH4M3PhrqJaBI1CimKxMbZ0CuNVRg

Whip out the iPhone and play some Angry Birds while you're waitin'.

Archived