What is the Most Buses You Have Ever Transferred Between?

Baseball02

Well since I use unlimited metrocards now, transfers don't exist in my books lol. But there is is one trip I call the "Airport Loop" whenever I don't wanna be bothered by anyone and it goes as follows...

Q35 from Flatbush Jct to Rockaway Pk

Q53 from Rockaway Park to 74 St-Broadway

Q33 from 74 St-Bway to Delta Terminal in LGA Airport

M60 from Delta Terminal to 125 St-2 Av

M15 SBS from 126 St-2 Av to South Ferry

Then I go home from there

What is the most buses you have ever transferred between?

Well, obviously a transfer can only be used to transfer between two buses (or bus-train, train-bus, train-train)

But tell me the most buses you have ever ridden in a row.

Over 100 in one week in philly and NYC!!!! I almost broke that record in NJ too many rtes to mention.

Back in the day when there were paper transfers, I was able to go from Greenpoint/Williamsburg all the way to close to Coney Island on one bus fare:

B62 (now B43) to Graham/Broadway------B57 to Flushing/Vanderbuilt------B69 to BP Sq.-------B68 the entire length.

did they kill paper transfer???

Today, I happened to ride 4 buses for only $2.25. How?

I walked to 168 Street to the Bx7 to 231 Street. The Bx7 had a broken farebox so it was a free ride. After I found out that Blockbuster closed down for good, I walked to 215 Street for the M100 and was planning on riding it to Saint Nicholas Avenue and walking to the 94 Street Blockbuster. However, the M100 ended at Amsterdam Avenue and 125 Street so I got a paper xfer and used that on an M11 which was across Amsterdam. After going to Blockbuster, I took the M5 home using the xfer on my Metrocard from the M100.

It would have been something if the M5 ended at 135 Street and I got on another bus from there lol.

Did anyone else have an occurence when you rode several buses but only paid once?

The Verrazano and the Lincoln Tunnel were both a mess so I thought I'd pick the lesser of two evils and try to catch the X30 via New Jersey. I had given myself a good half an hour extra to get in knowing that the traffic was terrible. No X30 came so I caught a (S48) and got off at Forest and Manor. No X14 was coming (evidenced by the longer than usual line), so I transferred to the (S54) to Victory and Manor in hopes of an X12. No X12 was coming (again evidenced by the longer than usual line), so I saw an (S93) and got on since that would give me access to just about all of the express buses going via the Verrazano. I took that to the Narrows Road South & Hylan Blvd and finally an express bus came (an X2). So four transfers in total and a commute that was almost two hours long. B)

The transferring wasn't the problem because with all of that I still was at Narrows Road South & Hylan Blvd by 09:00, which gave me an hour to get to Midtown. I still arrived about 15 minutes late though... I was just thinking how great the Unlimited Express Bus Plus card is. :cool:

Yesterday, I was coming from Manhattan, and I swiped my Student MetroCard at the turnstyle , and it took off my ride without letting me through (it was one of those HEETs, and there was no station agent to explain my situation to). I had go back upstairs, take the M5 to South Ferry, and ask the driver for a transfer to a Staten Island route, which he gave me.

Then, asmy original plan was to take the (N) to 59th Street, transfer to the (R) to 86th Street, and then take the S53, I had to ask the driver on the S44 for a transfer.

I decided to use that transfer to come home, as I hadn't used it on the S53. So I ran up to Cary Avenue and missed the S94 (he basically slammed the door in my face even as I waved the transfer at him). I ran to Castleton Avenue and just missed the S96 because of the traffic light. I then decided to go back to Cary Avenue and wait for the S94, which came 20 minutes later.

So it was a total of 4 trips: subway->M5->S44->S94

Over 100 in one week in philly and NYC!!!! I almost broke that record in NJ too many rtes to mention.

I thought this nzzzzz said over 100 in a one day... had to go back & reread this... lol...

years ago I took BM5 to BXM4C(when it was still useful!!!!) then took so many beeline rtes I lost count LOL!!!!

not for nothin, but... even though I've taken the BxM4c, it wadn't *that* useful... especially when they cut it back, short of Tarrytown rd... to get from there, to the RR station/transcenter, aint a short walk at all....

but I know what you mean though, so don't have a heart attack w/ the all caps & shit....

speakin of Bee-Line....

free all day rides FTW !!!!

Yesterday, I was coming from Manhattan, and I swiped my Student MetroCard at the turnstyle , and it took off my ride without letting me through (it was one of those HEETs, and there was no station agent to explain my situation to). I had go back upstairs, take the M5 to South Ferry, and ask the driver for a transfer to a Staten Island route, which he gave me.

Then, asmy original plan was to take the (N) to 59th Street, transfer to the (R) to 86th Street, and then take the S53, I had to ask the driver on the S44 for a transfer.

I decided to use that transfer to come home, as I hadn't used it on the S53. So I ran up to Cary Avenue and missed the S94 (he basically slammed the door in my face even as I waved the transfer at him). I ran to Castleton Avenue and just missed the S96 because of the traffic light. I then decided to go back to Cary Avenue and wait for the S94, which came 20 minutes later.

So it was a total of 4 trips: subway->M5->S44->S94

You see what happens when you run for a bus on Staten Island??

Now I usually don't bother to run for the express bus. Usually I'll see the bus coming down the street in the morning. What I do is I look at my Blackberry then get annoyed because it's clearly not the time that he's supposed to be there, so I say I'm not f*cking running. He knows I'm a regular so he can wait for me to get down the street like he does for the other folks over in Mariners' Harbor and such since he wants to come damn early. :mad: If he didn't wait it wouldn't be any sweat because I'd just walk down to the X14. Either way I normally give myself enough time to get to work so that I don't have to run should I miss an express bus. Now coming back home say on the weekends I may run depending on how far the bus is.

If I stop by my office to do a little work, I have the habit of waiting until the last minute to get downstairs across the street to get the X10. In those instances I will run since the bus is across the street so it's not too much of a schlepp and also since the next one isn't for a half an hour usually and I don't feel like waiting for the X1. Same thing goes for the BM3 on Saturdays going to Brooklyn. They only run once an hour on the weekends and I really don't feel like schlepping on the BM1 or whatever to get me half way and then taking the friggin (Q) the rest of the way.

Question to you... Do you have the schedules down pat for the SI buses? I basically plan all of my trips out so that I don't have to run and have a backup plan as well, be it on the weekdays or the weekends.

Actually, there were many times when I caught the bus because I was running for it, or even caught up to the bus at the next stop (if that bus was an S44, I would've definitely chased him to the next stop, but since it was an S94, I figured I wouldn't be able to catch up to him all the way at Clove Road. The last time that happened, I was able to run up to Castleton Avenue and catch the S96, but I guess either the bus was late that time, or early this time)

A couple of times when that happened:

-Running from Richmond Avenue/Christopher Lane to catch an S59 that drove by me as if I weren't there.

-Running from Innis Street/St. Josephs Avenue to catch an S46 that wanted to bypass a group of students waiting (this actually happened twice)

-Running from Innis Street/Nicholas Avenue to Nicholas Avenue/Charles Avenue to catch an S46

-Running from Walker Street/Morningstar Road to Morningstar Road/Innis Street to catch an S96

-Running from Forest Avenue/Willow Road East to Forest Avenue/Decker Avenue to catch an S48 that didn't open the door for me even though he saw I was transferring from the S59 that came right behind him.

As far as knowing the schedules, I know all of the schedules for the trips I regularly make. The on-the-fly trips that I make (for example, if it is a nice day and I decide to go to the supermarket) usually involve the buses down Richmond Avenue, which are frequent enough that it doesn't matter if I miss one.

The only times when I actually plan to take a specific bus are when I'm going to Manhattan on weekends and have to get there at a specific time. For the other trips, I also try to catch a specific bus (for example, going to school, I try to catch the 7:40AM S89), but if I don't, I resign myself to the fact that I will show up late.

As far as backup plans go, I don't really have any. I might have a plan in case I need to be stingy with my transfers, and I might have an alternate route if the routes are close enough (in the example above, I planned to take the S96 if I missed the S94), but other than that, I just have to wait for the next bus.

Actually, there were many times when I caught the bus because I was running for it, or even caught up to the bus at the next stop (if that bus was an S44, I would've definitely chased him to the next stop, but since it was an S94, I figured I wouldn't be able to catch up to him all the way at Clove Road. The last time that happened, I was able to run up to Castleton Avenue and catch the S96, but I guess either the bus was late that time, or early this time)

A couple of times when that happened:

-Running from Richmond Avenue/Christopher Lane to catch an S59 that drove by me as if I weren't there.

-Running from Innis Street/St. Josephs Avenue to catch an S46 that wanted to bypass a group of students waiting (this actually happened twice)

-Running from Innis Street/Nicholas Avenue to Nicholas Avenue/Charles Avenue to catch an S46

-Running from Walker Street/Morningstar Road to Morningstar Road/Innis Street to catch an S96

-Running from Forest Avenue/Willow Road East to Forest Avenue/Decker Avenue to catch an S48 that didn't open the door for me even though he saw I was transferring from the S59 that came right behind him.

Ese... You're Speedy González... :P

You are crazy to run from Forest and Willow Road East over to Decker. That's not exactly a short run either. With all of the rocks and sh*t on the sidewalks on Staten Island you're lucky you haven't fallen or anything. With the streets in such bad shape in certain areas, the asphalt is just eroding literally and there's nothing but rocks and sh*t all over the sidewalk. Take Broadway for example. I'll get off at Clove and Broadway at night sometimes from the X14 and walk down Broadway to get home and there is just sh*t everywhere because of the craters and potholes which I avoid by walking around it. They need to tear up Broadway and repave it ASAP. :P

Hey. I made it didn't I? :P

I remember one time, I was coming from the YMCA on Broadway and ran to Forest Avenue, and my foot hit the sidewalk the wrong way, and I twisted my ankle. A rider who was getting off the X30 saw me and asked if I needed help, but there was really nothing he could do, so I thanked him for his concern and limped over to the bus (surprisingly, even with a twisted ankle, I was able to move fast enough to get onto the bus).

Hey. I made it didn't I? :P

I remember one time, I was coming from the YMCA on Broadway and ran to Forest Avenue, and my foot hit the sidewalk the wrong way, and I twisted my ankle. A rider who was getting off the X30 saw me and asked if I needed help, but there was really nothing he could do, so I thanked him for his concern and limped over to the bus (surprisingly, even with a twisted ankle, I was able to move fast enough to get onto the bus).

Yeah well you're lucky you only got that. I walk down Broadway there and the it's a real pain in the ass because not only are you going downhill but the sidewalk there by the SI Zoo is all warped and sh*t. Then the sidewalk by the YMCA on the other side is so narrow that you can get hit by a car in certain spots if you're not careful with the stupid bushes and sh*t sticking out, so I just stay on the side by the zoo.

Last night walking home by the zoo from the X14, I saw some interesting animals running about. Couldn't figure out what in the hell they were... Looked like peacocks or something. :P

Archived