Some R32's going to the (Z)?

VIP

I'm just going to throw this out, but why would that be a problem for them to run on both the (J)/(Z) lines even with AC issues? The majority of that line is elevated and I don't see how that could be a significant issue.

Actually it would be a problem for a train to have non-working ACs during the summer. It doesn't matter where it is. If it's almost 100 degrees out, humid, with no winds, opening a window wouldn't do any justice.

If the 7 ran 11 car trains and 1 of the 11 had no a/c it would be pretty easy to move to a car with a/c. But if no cars have a/c that is a different story. Also, the 7 cars without a/c's had fans. There is a big difference between riding in a car that does now have an a/c unit and riding in a car with an a/c unit that does not work or worse yet blows hot air. I have been riding the subway on a regular basis since the early/mid 70's when less than 1/2 the trains had a/c units. The IRT had no cars with a/c units til around 1980 or so and it was not til 1984 when R62's first came into service on the 4 train that there was cars with decent a/c. Back then cars without a/c units had overhead fans and doors between cars were usually kept open to circulate air. Without increased safety and liability concerns, I don't think doors between cars could be kept open nowdays.

The (7) ran R33WF until they retired in 2003 and they had no AC. I just really don't see any bit of difference from that. Here is the really strange thing about all of this. Why was this thread made in the first place? The R42s aren't going any where for the next couple of years and the same goes for the R32s.

If everything went according to plan concerning car retirement, shouldn't we be getting new cars this year; the 44's are 40, now?

Guest lance25

In '81, when cars were breaking down left and right, the TA didn't expect their cars to last very long obviously. Like I said before, it's amazing how long your equipment can last when they're maintained regularly.

Archived