MTA: If You See Groping, Say Something

mark1447

The MTA is changing its train announcement aimed at victims of inappropriate sexual conduct on subways, asking witnesses who see groping to also report the crime.

The new message is similar to that of the MTA's "If You See Something, Say Something" campaign launched in 2003.

State Assemblywoman Deborah Glick pushed to have the messages changed after being concerned that the current announcements place the burden of reporting harassment solely on the victim.

"Sexual harassment is treated with a 'boys will be boys' shrug but it can be a humiliating, frustrating, and downright scary experience," Glick told NBC New York in an email. "I thought if the MTA really wants people to 'See Something, and Say Something' then there is no reason that sexual harassment should not be included as well."

The previous messages have been in place for approximately one year.

According to Glick, the new message will say, “a crowded subway is no defense to unlawful sexual conduct. If you believe that you have been the victim of a crime, or witness to a crime, notify an MTA Employee or Police Officer.”

Emily May, executive director of anti-street-harassment organization Hollaback!, says a major problem faced by victims of street harassment is disengaged witnesses.

Many of the stories Hollaback! hears are about the disappointment victims feel, both at being harassed and at the response of those who see the harassment.

"There is a really important role for bystanders to play," May said. "I think too often people think they only have two options: either to swoop in wearing a superhero costume and beat the guy up, or, do nothing."

Glick's office said the announcement will be implemented after it is field tested.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/MTA-Institutes-New-Subway-Harassment-Policy-118587999.html

This was supposed to have been in the works for some time now.

As far as that goes, I try to avoid using crowded buses or subways so I don't encounter being in crowded situations to put myself in that situation to begin with since I don't like being all close to strangers. Who knows what they have nor do I want them touching me. :eek:

I thought groping was acceptable if the train is crowded enough that no one knows who was the groper?
Remember that one story in the 1997 HBO film "Subway Stories" Where the dude was riding the train and Rosie perez character purposly put his hands between her crotch every day they rode the train and he blew it when he tried to confront her about it.LOL.

Before I moved to NJ, I was on my way from Long Island to the Bronx. So when got on the (2) @ Penn I got a seat in the infamous seat of death, @ 42nd, the the train became crush loaded packed like a sardine can l0l. So this hot ass Indian girl stands in front of me and her body was like none other. So she stood in front of me with her back tords me. So the guy stand next to me pats me on my shoulder and said "you see that" l0l in my mind im like how the hell could I not. So I said "hell yeah boss" l0l. So as were going we hit the switch after 135 and she didnt expect it and she fell in ma lap, aww man the looks at the guys in that car was insanely priceless. I was changing the music in my phone as it happened and caught me off guard l0l. SO i asked her if she was ok ect and started a small talk convo along the way. So we get to 180th I need to get off cause I need the (5) and she gets off to and asks me for my number :eek: sure i gave it to her. Chylled with her about 5 or 6 times, but im not going to get into that boys!

So all in all, as long as your not doing anything to cause you to get you smacked you'll be fine. And I seen guys get smacked on a train.

Remember that one story in the 1997 HBO film "Subway Stories" Where the dude was riding the train and Rosie perez character purposly put his hands between her crotch every day they rode the train and he blew it when he tried to confront her about it.LOL.

I remember watching that too... Talk about steamy scenes. I was rooting for the guy too... :P

Before I moved to NJ, I was on my way from Long Island to the Bronx. So when got on the (2) @ Penn I got a seat in the infamous seat of death, @ 42nd, the the train became crush loaded packed like a sardine can l0l. So this hot ass Indian girl stands in front of me and her body was like none other. So she stood in front of me with her back tords me. So the guy stand next to me pats me on my shoulder and said "you see that" l0l in my mind im like how the hell could I not. So I said "hell yeah boss" l0l. So as were going we hit the switch after 135 and she didnt expect it and she fell in ma lap, aww man the looks at the guys in that car was insanely priceless. I was changing the music in my phone as it happened and caught me off guard l0l. SO i asked her if she was ok ect and started a small talk convo along the way. So we get to 180th I need to get off cause I need the (5) and she gets off to and asks me for my number :eek: sure i gave it to her. Chylled with her about 5 or 6 times, but im not going to get into that boys!

So all in all, as long as your not doing anything to cause you to get you smacked you'll be fine. And I seen guys get smacked on a train.

Awesome!!! :rock:

I remember that lol...been a while since I watched that too.

That guy who was standing next to u must've been mad!I know he wish he could've been you...I know when I'm on a train or a bus,there be girl standing right in front of me,sometimes you just want to pat that girl behind.

That guy who was standing next to u must've been mad!I know he wish he could've been you...I know when I'm on a train or a bus,there be girl standing right in front of me,sometimes you just want to pat that girl behind.

Lol he should have sat down, he went into the train before me and as crowded as the train was, no one was sitting in the seat of death. So I sat down.

Archived