SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Happened to glance at the Sunday website of the Daily News. There’s an article about the old Rockaway Beach LIRR branch. The jist of the story is that reactivating the rail line is not gonna happen, period. Looking forward to hearing from you rail fans and your take. Carry on.

~~Is there a link for the sourced.~~

- Nvm, I just read it, and while it doesn’t look like it’ll be reactivated anytime soon, I personally think its short sighted to say that reactivation is not happening/impossible. Also the minute I read “Friends of the Queensway” I already saw there this was going. While the idea of a linear park sounds nice, I find it to be idiotic (alone) given the current Circumstances of Woodhaven and getting to/from the Rockaways. I personally prefer the “Queenslink” Option. Combining both the Rail and Linear Park Option sounds like an interesting concept to me that gets the best interests of both ideas. Although with the lack of any political will right now, I doubt anything will happen in the short term as much as I’d like for it to.

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra
Found the Article and had some immediate thoughts on it

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Happened to glance at the Sunday website of the Daily News. There’s an article about the old Rockaway Beach LIRR branch. The jist of the story is that reactivating the rail line is not gonna happen, period. Looking forward to hearing from you rail fans and your take. Carry on.

4 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

Honestly, it's not. The area it runs thru is either reasonably close to the subway network or has pretty decent bus service. I can think of several more worthwhile subway/LIRR extentions than RRB. 

I guess that article of who cares about alternatives build the queensway now! Malarkey you saw 

On 5/29/2022 at 1:44 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

On 5/29/2022 at 2:29 PM, shiznit1987 said:

Honestly, it's not. The area it runs thru is either reasonably close to the subway network or has pretty decent bus service. I can think of several more worthwhile subway/LIRR extentions than RRB. 

While I continue to have mixed feelings about restoring service onto the RBB, I would like to see a real solution to the two-headed mess called Woodhaven and Cross Bay boulevards. I don’t claim to have the solution, but if it can involve some sort of improved bus, bike or rail transportation that will encourage more people who drive on Cross Bay/Woodhaven to leave their SUVs at home, then I’m all for it. At least if rail is restored to this corridor, the right-of-way doesn’t have to be built entirely from scratch, unlike many other, better candidates for subway extension in Queens (though some new tunneling would be required to connect into the existing system, of course).   

But again, I have mixed feelings. And I do think there are better corridors that merit an extension of the subway. The problem is, almost all of them would have to be built entirely from scratch. A potential Queens Super Express or an (E) extension to Rosedale/Laurelton would likely not be, but they would still need some new tunneling to connect to the existing system. 

44 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

bike

If I didn’t take those new e-bikes CitiBike has available now, I would not even consider biking competitive. But for $0.15 per minute and speeds approaching that of a car on a local street, I’m inclined to believe that they could fill a transportation niche: not too long of a wait to get moving, cheaper than a subway ride if you’re not going far, and possibly faster than waiting for a train if going a mere mile or two.

I’ve ridden one over the Manhattan Bridge, and it took less than 8 minutes.

17 minutes ago, CenSin said:

If I didn’t take those new e-bikes CitiBike has available now, I would not even consider biking competitive. But for $0.15 per minute and speeds approaching that of a car on a local street, I’m inclined to believe that they could fill a transportation niche: not too long of a wait to get moving, cheaper than a subway ride if you’re not going far, and possibly faster than waiting for a train if going a mere mile or two.

I’ve ridden one over the Manhattan Bridge, and it took less than 8 minutes.

Oh I agree. Biking is more suited for more local travel than for travel to Manhattan, or even from South to North Queens. Faster buses and trains are better suited for that. 

Just now, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Oh I agree. Biking is more suited for more local travel than for travel to Manhattan, or even from South to North Queens. Faster buses and trains are better suited for that. 

Tbh I wish Citi Bike would expand to transit deserts such as eastern queens, the rockaways and other parts of the outer boughs far from the subway. It would help solve the last mile problem that people have  in those areas.

39 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

My second ride on such a bike took me from High Street–Brooklyn Bridge ((A)(C)) to 5 Avenue/33 Street (~(6)<6>) in 26 minutes. That beats the fastest possible train/bus route already. Of course, this is another ideal case. There is no traffic or signals on the Manhattan Bridge, and 1 Avenue has a dedicated bike lane.

That feeling of relief of just catching the (7) train cause the next one was over 15 minutes away for some reason.

It was 10 in the morning.

Looking at queensboro plaza, there was a <7> in 7 minutes followed by the next (7) in 15 so I’m not sure why the <7> didn’t run local given the large gap in local service.

Also on an unrelated note this is the 2nd day in a row catching the same r46 on the (N) (5598).

Edited by Lil 57

All the R46s that are at Coney Island (N)(Q)(W) and Pitkin/207 St (A)(C) Rockaways (S) are slowly getting new door improvements for T/O and C/R before entering the cab. The window frame currently has a metal barrier and heavier glass on the sliding portion of the cab. 

0c015fcc644b783a1f99daf8d08bc899.jpg -> photo found in pinterest

285469810_10218137692588881_665894848436 -> current on some of them 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

That feeling of relief of just catching the (7) train cause the next one was over 15 minutes away for some reason.

It was 10 in the morning.

Looking at queensboro plaza, there was a <7> in 7 minutes followed by the next (7) in 15 so I’m not sure why the <7> didn’t run local given the large gap in local service.

Also on an unrelated note this is the 2nd day in a row catching the same r46 on the (N) (5598).

It's stalking you. Be Aware lol. It's happened to me on the R62A's. There's been scenarios were I would end up getting the same train during a week or two.

16 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

While I continue to have mixed feelings about restoring service onto the RBB, I would like to see a real solution to the two-headed mess called Woodhaven and Cross Bay boulevards. I don’t claim to have the solution, but if it can involve some sort of improved bus, bike or rail transportation that will encourage more people who drive on Cross Bay/Woodhaven to leave their SUVs at home, then I’m all for it. At least if rail is restored to this corridor, the right-of-way doesn’t have to be built entirely from scratch, unlike many other, better candidates for subway extension in Queens (though some new tunneling would be required to connect into the existing system, of course).   

But again, I have mixed feelings. And I do think there are better corridors that merit an extension of the subway. The problem is, almost all of them would have to be built entirely from scratch. A potential Queens Super Express or an (E) extension to Rosedale/Laurelton would likely not be, but they would still need some new tunneling to connect to the existing system. 

IMHO, living right along Woodhaven myself, I'd prefer a light rail that makes the same stops the Q52/Q53 do now with Woodhaven Blvd station converted to an express station. That truly would cover all the bases IMHO. I don't think that Eastern Queens should see subway extentions unless there was some massive increase in total subway capacity into Manhattan. These ideas of sending the (E)/(F)/(7) further into Queens don't account for the fact that the trains are already saturated and any extention eastward would either just pick up the same riders or simply overwhelm the system. Instead, there should be light rail lines along the LIE, Union Tpke, Sutphin, Merrick, Hillside, Lefferts, Woodhaven, Northern, etc, connecting to the subway to both speed up service and boost intra-boro transit capacity. 

3 hours ago, jon2305 said:

It's stalking you. Be Aware lol. It's happened to me on the R62A's. There's been scenarios were I would end up getting the same train during a week or two.

Happened to me a lot on the (7). I remember one time I took the (7) to Manhattan I got the same train-set on the way back to Queens. Didn’t sit in the same car though.

Edited by Lil 57

Same thing happened this evening why are they running <7> express trains where there are 15+ minutes gaps in (7) local service. Shouldn’t local service be prioritized instead of having constant express service and screwing local riders over when there is a gap?

Me and a few riders ended up taking the <7> to 61st to the (7) back to Manhattan since that would be quicker than waiting for the (7).

Edited by Lil 57

On 5/31/2022 at 8:40 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yes.  There is a better way to implement true BRT on Woodhaven Blvd.  A median bus lane would be easier to enforce and keep away bikes, legal or illegal parked cars, and cars needing to make right turns.  A very good design for BRT exists along Van Ness Ave in San Francisco, where the left lane was simply converted to a bus only lane.  Median bus stations and prohibition of most left turns also makes this work.

A median BRT could be convertible to a light rail system, if the demand so dictates.

Northbound, the three lanes of Woodhaven can shift to the right as Woodhaven crosses over the Belt Parkway.  The right lane will be forced onto ramps for Belt and Conduit and two lanes of traffic continue northward.  This leaves room to make the existing left lane, a bus only lane.  The buses using the median bus lane should stop roughly every half mile, preferably at locations to allow transfers to crossing bus and subway lines.  There would be 1 bus lane, 2 lanes (or more) for traffic, and a parking lane that could be used for traffic during rush hours, if needed.  Woodhaven is one of our widest streets.  There is ample room to do this properly.

Southbound, the left lane should simply be a bus only lane starting from Queens Blvd and heading all the way to the Belt Parkway.

Made 2 maps out of boredom, one where I grabbed ALL Rail Systems in the New York Region and threw them together

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1eaR0wtLCB8AL2oVXY_pBCJ21xDFssM4&usp=sharing

And one where I grabbed all Current, Under Construction and Planned ADA-Accessible Stations for the NYC Subway System (along with stations I think could/should get ADA in order for there to be even spacing between ADA Stops):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1u67mpsOHfczXg3wjyQDNRWse0N-yEis&usp=sharing

I happened to have a great conversation with a fellow retiree this afternoon about New York, City and State, and the (MTA) . We both remember the conversation we had with supervision about the ATS system and CBTC especially as it pertained to the IRT. It was 25 years ago  when we were told that the system would be implemented in 25 years, according to those who signed off on the plan. Our rabbi and those in his immediate circle called BS on the plans and it’s completion date. We laughed and said that the CBTC system would be obsolete and have to be upgraded by then. Little did we know back then that the specs would be redesigned a few times in that timeframe and the contracts redone and the completion date pushed back time and time again. It’s been 25 years and they’re still working on the IND 😁. I mentioned to him that the term “ network communication problem “ is now the code for CBTC screw ups as opposed to the old “ signal problem “ phrase we used to hear. When you are stuck behind a red signal it doesn’t matter to us. He said that he heard that 2040 was the new completion date for the whole project. When I mentioned Grand Central Madison to him he and his wife laughed and asked me how many stops have been completed past Parsons-Archer since they left NYC. We all laughed when I told them that there are  actually New York residents who believe the BS the (MTA) spouts . They told me that the same folks must be related to the Floridians who surround them. Just thought I’d let you know where my people stand. Carry on.

I’ve wondered about this for a while but what happens if a train has an issue but it’s near a yard where it’s line is not based out of? So for example if one of the R160’s on the (M) has some type of mechanical issue or has to sudden get taken out of service and the set is at Forest Hills for example, would the set get worked on at Jamaica yard or does the train set have to travel all the way back to its own yard to get worked on? 

13 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’ve wondered about this for a while but what happens if a train has an issue but it’s near a yard where it’s line is not based out of? So for example if one of the R160’s on the (M) has some type of mechanical issue or has to sudden get taken out of service and the set is at Forest Hills for example, would the set get worked on at Jamaica yard or does the train set have to travel all the way back to its own yard to get worked on? 

I’m guessing Jamaica. Jamaica is familiar with the R160s since that’s all they have right now and IIRC some (M) sets are stored in Jamaica during the off-peak hours so it’s easier for trains to return to service when more trains are needed.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I've brought Redbird (5) trains to Livonia Yard, at the time they mainly handled R62A equipment, and there were times when Livonia handled it. Other times the occasional (2) , (4) or a rare   (6)  would be in the yard for a temporary repair until it could be sent back uptown to it's own shop to be worked on. I'm guessing the practice is still systemwide. My experiences. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
additional thought

On 6/1/2022 at 1:09 PM, shiznit1987 said:

IMHO, living right along Woodhaven myself, I'd prefer a light rail that makes the same stops the Q52/Q53 do now with Woodhaven Blvd station converted to an express station. That truly would cover all the bases IMHO. I don't think that Eastern Queens should see subway extentions unless there was some massive increase in total subway capacity into Manhattan. These ideas of sending the (E)/(F)/(7) further into Queens don't account for the fact that the trains are already saturated and any extention eastward would either just pick up the same riders or simply overwhelm the system. Instead, there should be light rail lines along the LIE, Union Tpke, Sutphin, Merrick, Hillside, Lefferts, Woodhaven, Northern, etc, connecting to the subway to both speed up service and boost intra-boro transit capacity. 

While I’m not opposed to light rail, my only concern is that if we have light rail lines as extensions of the (E)(F) or (7), they can only replace one bus line - even though they can carry far more riders per hour than any bus route can. Light rail shouldn’t be relied on to replace two or more bus routes because then that may require some riders to have to transfer from a bus first to the light rail, then to the subway, which would add a transfer that these riders didn’t have before. 

I do think we may already be at a “saturation point” with the (E)(F) and (7). Many trains leave the first stop standing room only. And the terminals for all three lines are major bus transfer points. For Queens in between Flushing/Jamaica and the Cross Island Parkway, I think a good long-term plan would be to have the (E)(F)(7) continue east, with a possible split of the (7) east of (or near) Main St with one branch serving the corridor between Queens College and Queensboro Community College. While having local buses run mostly north-south to connect to the extended subways.

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

While I’m not opposed to light rail, my only concern is that if we have light rail lines as extensions of the (E)(F) or (7), they can only replace one bus line - even though they can carry far more riders per hour than any bus route can. Light rail shouldn’t be relied on to replace two or more bus routes because then that may require some riders to have to transfer from a bus first to the light rail, then to the subway, which would add a transfer that these riders didn’t have before. 

I do think we may already be at a “saturation point” with the (E)(F) and (7). Many trains leave the first stop standing room only. And the terminals for all three lines are major bus transfer points. For Queens in between Flushing/Jamaica and the Cross Island Parkway, I think a good long-term plan would be to have the (E)(F)(7) continue east, with a possible split of the (7) east of (or near) Main St with one branch serving the corridor between Queens College and Queensboro Community College. While having local buses run mostly north-south to connect to the extended subways.

At that rate just build the extensions 

On 6/4/2022 at 4:12 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

At that rate just build the extensions 

Gonna agree with you there. Unfortunately the MTA’s money management and construction woes never seem to really go away, so none of those extensions will be quick, easy or cheap. Even the Rockaway Beach Branch advocates estimated rebuilding the branch will cost in the billions - $3.4 to 3.7, which is a far cry from the bullshit $8 billion-plus price the MTA and SYSTRA quoted - but still not a small amount of money.