SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the most part the training is going to be a lot more about the technical issues we will encounter, what we can and can't fix ourselves. Like for me, I was constantly drilled on dealing with door faults. Or isolating a car.

The 211Ts are going to be the biggest change in our procedures and operations since the introduction of the NTT series.

To the point I've taken to calling the 211s the first "XTTs" "neXt Technology Trains"  

2 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

The 211Ts are going to be the biggest change in our procedures and operations since the introduction of the NTT series. To the point I've taken to calling the 211s the first "XTTs" "neXt Technology Trains" 

What are the differences between the R211 and previous NTTs?

different cab layout, different controls, new equipment the other new techs don't have (translation, new things to break on us) 

For example, CCTV, both internal and external, comes as standard. So theoretically speaking, I can see the front and the back of the train to know if I'm in the station if something were to happen to my board.

p80v830apqd71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a 

you can see just about the center of the image the CCTV feeds.

22 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

different cab layout, different controls, new equipment the other new techs don't have (translation, new things to break on us) 

For example, CCTV, both internal and external, comes as standard. So theoretically speaking, I can see the front and the back of the train to know if I'm in the station if something were to happen to my board.

p80v830apqd71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a 

you can see just about the center of the image the CCTV feeds.

Are there cameras inside the cab?

28 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

I meant to ask what exactly are the differences. (and what is translation?)

Also,

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Are there cameras inside the cab?

Yes, as well as cab audio recording, according to the technical specifications.

I don't know, having cameras inside those cabs and even audio recording will give the (MTA) the upper hand in keeping very close surveillance of their employees, and not for the better. I forsee people getting canned over that stuff in the future, which is another reason I wouldn't trust the agency for a millisecond.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:36 PM, Lawrence St said:

If I was in charge, I would have continued with the installation of CBTC on QBL but not activated it / changed fleet around until all the 211’s came in. Because I know that R46’s, which have been home to the (A) for a while, would not survive on heavy ridership/dwell times like Broadway. That’s also why I wouldn’t have retired 50 R32’s and instead assigned a small number to CIY/Pitkin.

And the contractor who installed it would sue you in five seconds. That's very clearly breach of contract.

58 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Why would the contract force the system to be activated?

Probably the following:

"If you're not gonna use it then why install it! Headways need to be improved now!"

And

"That's gonna increase maintenance costs without it doing anything"

Edit: also, I just saw a post from last night about a "signal problem" at 42-Bryant Park where the intercom was blasting "Police requested on the downtown express track!" Apparently at about 8 pm

Anyone got info on this? MTA Twitter says signal problems

Edited by JustTheSIR
Did not want to double post

1 hour ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Why even is the MTA continuing to install CBTC on subway. Are the current signals not sufficient enough?

You do realize you answered your own question, right? But, I'll add more to that, it also has to do with the fact we got signals that haven't really been replaced in decades (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), you wouldn't see as much results with wayside compared to CBTC when implemented across the whole system. 

18 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

You do realize you answered your own question, right? But, I'll add more to that, it also has to do with the fact we got signals that haven't really been replaced in decades (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), you wouldn't see as much results with wayside compared to CBTC when implemented across the whole system. 

…except when CBTC goes down…which is very common on QBL.

3 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Why even is the MTA continuing to install CBTC on subway. Are the current signals not sufficient enough?

CBTC is supposed to help things to run more smoothly; that's the point of installing it across the subway system. No, the older signals are not sufficient enough due to them being ancient, in addition to high ridership levels.

1 hour ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

https://imgur.com/a/ye9UklE

There is no working link here

6 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Why would the contract force the system to be activated?

Because it is standard practice for both parties to agree on a project duration and then the contractor gets a bonus if they hit that date and it is also common for the contractor to be docked pay if they are late.

In this instance where the MTA is refusing to activate CBTC after the contractor has completed the work, it is not only violating the contract terms it is also denying the contractor its bonus and docking pay (for it being completed late) even thought the contractor fulfilled its end of the bargain as written in the contract.

17 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Does anyone think a NTT could go 70 mph (assuming it was on a test track) if their max speed of 55 mph programmed into them was bypassed? The much older R44s famously hit 80 mph during a test on the LIRR.

All the NTT's are capable of speeds of 70+ mph, but the traction motors are electronically programmed to cut out at 55 mph. I've read somewhere that when the R142's first came in, they hit 78 mph in the rockaways. 

57 minutes ago, subway4832 said:

All the NTT's are capable of speeds of 70+ mph, but the traction motors are electronically programmed to cut out at 55 mph. I've read somewhere that when the R142's first came in, they hit 78 mph in the rockaways. 

50 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I would love to see a video of this. And imagine activating the emergency brake at that speed.

I once saw a video of an R142 zooming fast past a station; don't know the exact speed it was going though. All trains are capable of going faster than they do; it's the restrictions that make them go slower. The R44s set the record of speed at 87.75 mph.

Edited by RandomRider0101