SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

The R142s are getting new announcements that involves the NYPD at each or said station. In addition to the updates, the exterior signs will also be rephrased in one word of direction instead of shortened. 

Current: [ 4: LEXINGTON AV EXP ]              [ 2: EASTERN PKWY LOC ]

Updated: [ 4 LEXINGTON AV EXPRESS ]     [ 2: EASTERN PKWY LOCAL ]

The LIRR will soon be added to the transfer point at Grand Central but it's something to see starting in 2023. 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

If the TA had not decided to put the R62/As into 5 car sets, then they could have just scraped one car instead of five.

6 hours ago, VIP said:

They can still scrap just one, those cars are Singles…

The R62/As were originally singles, but have since been arranged in 5-car sets. This was done for a reason: easier maintenance.

Even if they scrap that one car, the others in the consist can't be used unless something happens to other cars in the future; the same thing applies to R46 6214 at the moment.

19 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

The R62/As were originally singles, but have since been arranged in 5-car sets. This was done for a reason: easier maintenance.

Even if they scrap that one car, the others in the consist can't be used unless something happens to other cars in the future; the same thing applies to R46 6214 at the moment.

Edit: the only cars that are still singles are 30 R62As in the 1906-1960 range (55 cars). This excludes 24 cars used for the 42nd Shuttle in 6-car sets, and one car (1909) scrapped years ago from an accident.

17 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Edit: the only cars that are still singles are 30 R62As in the 1906-1960 range (55 cars). This excludes 24 cars used for the 42nd Shuttle in 6-car sets, and one car (1909) scrapped years ago from an accident.

1901-1905 are also single cars. 1961-2155 are formers converted to 5-car sets. 

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

1901-1905 are also single cars. 1961-2155 are formers converted to 5-car sets. 

1901-1905 are listed as a 5-car set on Wikipedia. (Yes I know it's not the most reliable source) but I would think that someone reliable would have the correct info on there. Maybe I need to see a photo of cars 1901-1905 to see what its configuration is (not disputing what you're saying).

7 hours ago, VIP said:

I guess the TA is not gonna remove those obnoxious lights on the R160 5 car set 8687-8683… 🙄

nope! That requires deliberately removing the train from service and sending it to the yard just to make that aesthetic change, something that the MTA cannot afford to do considering the low spare factor. its really bad on the eyes, especially when you've just woken up, its still dark out in the middle of winter in the morning, and you're taking the train at an elevated station where the only lights are the occasional bulbs here and there in a dimly lit station, and then THAT particular R160 shows up. 

On 11/8/2022 at 7:28 PM, R68ACTrain said:

Apparently 240th retired 1896-1900 @Calvin, but I won't believe it until I hear it from my friend who works at 240th, who previously stated that said set is having issues and won't see service until year's end, or 2023.

unknown.png

This part you mentioned is correct. Although there are issues found, it's not being scrapped or retired. Heavy repairs that'll set to see service post New Year of 2023. 

51 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Was there a specific reason why the MTA never adopted chopper control in the later SMEEs? Many rapid transit cars of that era had moved on from camshaft/resistance control to dc chopper.

Might have been because the MTA tried to jump into new technology with the R44 & R46 fleets, but both fleets were problematic prior to GOH so the TA played it safe with the orders after and went back to the basics with R62/A & R68/A fleets. 

Edited by trainfan22

Q train had to be evacuated tonight due to an power problem, I assume the power problem was train related rather than 3rd rail or substation related. Considering that trains were able to run local passed it and the rescue train was able to pick up the riders from the disabled set makes me think it was an train related problem.

Reminds me of the two high profile breakdowns the 46s had on the (F) and (R) a few years ago.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Q train had to be evacuated tonight due to an power problem, I assume the power problem was train related rather than 3rd rail or substation related. Considering that trains were able to run local passed it and the rescue train was able to pick up the riders from the disabled set makes me think it was an train related problem.

Reminds me of the two high profile breakdowns the 46s had on the (F) and (R) a few years ago.

That's because they run the damn things to death with barely to no spares. About 3 R46s were taken OOS this weekend on the (N) and (Q) lines. On Saturday i saw an R46 (N) empty at times sq on the express track and then today this shit happened.

This is what happens when (MTA) bites more than it can chew. They have to deal with this mess until the R211s are officially in service. 

Hopefully this wakes (MTA) and car equipment up.

15 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I always wonder how different the subway would have been if these fleets did not have so many problems.

The R62/As & R68/As would've been more technologically advanced, that's for sure. The R44/46s taught the MTA not to throw new cars into service without thoroughly testing them out beforehand, especially when they're introducing new tech features.

I wonder what the system would be like today had they already tested open gangways sooner. The U.S. is always late to the game when it comes to technology.

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

That's because they run the damn things to death with barely to no spares. About 3 R46s were taken OOS this weekend on the (N) and (Q) lines. On Saturday i saw an R46 (N) empty at times sq on the express track and then today this shit happened.

This is what happens when (MTA) bites more than it can chew. They have to deal with this mess until the R211s are officially in service. 

Hopefully this wakes (MTA) and car equipment up.

Then why don’t they get on with testing the R211 pilot train with passengers already? It’s been 15-16 months since those cars got here. What more tests or evaluation could they possibly need after all this time? How much more waiting truly is necessary before we really start seeing problems with the older cars? Get on with it already!