SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

5 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I saw the strangest thing on a video a few weeks ago: Arcs not between the shoe an the third rail, but between the wheel and the rail. Of course I can not find the video now though.

Check your history

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

Short circuit.

remember that the tracks are not only the DC traction current return, but carry the AC signal circuits as well.

The tracks carry signals and electricity?

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed recently when seeing the R42s as regular trash trains, the rollsigns have been removed on the inside but, the "Not In Service" stays or is blank. I wonder if the letter scrolls are transferable on the R68 or R68A. There were R68/As that had missing rollsigns but later had the route indication placed back. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

I noticed recently when seeing the R42s as regular trash trains, the rollsigns have been removed on the inside but, the "Not In Service" stays or is blank. I wonder if the letter scrolls are transferable on the R68 or R68A. There were R68/As that had missing rollsigns but later had the route indication placed back. 

R42's and R68 rollsigns aren't compatible. The R40,R42,R44,R46 and the R110B front rollsigns are compatible with each other. The R68/R68A uses their own roll signs.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

On the (L) and (7) yes, QBL not yet but it will use ATO in the future.

I don't think they use it on the (7) anymore until further notice. I could be wrong though. I know that the R188s slip and can't stop properly in the rain or when the rails are wet.

45 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I don't think they use it on the (7) anymore until further notice. I could be wrong though. I know that the R188s slip and can't stop properly in the rain or when the rails are wet.

I heard this is an issue on most or all the NTTs; I could understand it being an issue on the R142A/188 & R143s for obvious reasons.

Edited by RandomRider0101

On 11/1/2022 at 8:45 PM, Calvin said:

R142s 7021-7025 and 7171-7175 are slowly removing the outside experimental display. It's the circle with the route similar to the (7) with 7501-7505

7171 still has it, I saw it yesterday. As for 7021, I don't know, I can only keep track of 7171. Do 7506-7510 still have them?

2 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

7171 still has it, I saw it yesterday. As for 7021, I don't know, I can only keep track of 7171. Do 7506-7510 still have them?

7171 only has one side of the signs left, that's probably what you saw. They removed one of the signs on the car and kept the other one (don't even know why 🤷‍♂️)

As for 7501-7510, yes they still do. (Ironically 7505 is paired with 7406 and 7506 is paired with 7405 at the moment)

4 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

From what was mentioned below, they still have the circle and diamond indicator. 7021-7025 still has it but is said that it's an experimental display that's being removed but who knows.

21 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Am I crazy or did (MTA) use to mail timetables to your address if you requested? When did they stop doing it?

6 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

I have never heard of this.

I always just picked stuff up at stations or the library.

They used to do this, I remember requesting timetables like 10+ years ago and they would mail them. I don't remember when they stopped doing that though. 

21 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Am I crazy or did (MTA) use to mail timetables to your address if you requested? When did they stop doing it?

6 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

I have never heard of this.

I always just picked stuff up at stations or the library.

They used to do this, I remember requesting timetables like 10+ years ago and they would mail them. I don't remember when they stopped doing that though. 

3 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Are the LED side displays ever going to get put on all the R142/As?

You mean the new ones they've been testing on select trainsets for the past year or two? They might install them during the next SMS cycle; similar to how the R62As had the bright LED lights installed during their last SMS.

On 11/4/2022 at 4:15 PM, RandomRider0101 said:

They replaced Charlie Pellett's 59th St. (F)(Q) announcement with an entirely new one recorded by Velina Mitchell; This probably explains why the original recording was glitching as of late.

Correction: they're replacing Charlie Pellett's 59th St. anncmnt with Velina Mitchell's; it hasn't been applied to all trains yet.

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-stabbed-in-neck-in-bronx-subway-station-by-metrocard-swipe-seller/ar-AA13NGux?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4088fab23dd947aab13a3b89192b434a

A man was stabbed early today from a person selling metrocards (or swipes). An argument led to this incident but, the attacker was arrested. 

The swipers are always aggressive and do dumb shit just for $2. I almost got into it with one of them years ago when i refused a swipe. Normally they either back off or get into a fight. They never have to resort to stabbing someone.

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-stabbed-in-neck-in-bronx-subway-station-by-metrocard-swipe-seller/ar-AA13NGux?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4088fab23dd947aab13a3b89192b434a

A man was stabbed early today from a person selling metrocards (or swipes). An argument led to this incident but, the attacker was arrested. 

18 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The swipers are always aggressive and do dumb shit just for $2. I almost got into it with one of them years ago when i refused a swipe. Normally they either back off or get into a fight. They never have to resort to stabbing someone.

Wow, all of this is crazy. I recall an encounter from a few years ago where I gave someone $2.75 for a metrocard, just for them to jump the turnstile & open the gate for me. This was a very dumb move on my part, especially when I already had a metrocard that I could've just swiped myself; wasn't thinking straight in that moment, but I know better now.

Anyways, things in this city are way outta control, and those bail reform laws need to be changed. But it won't happen as long as we have a liberal extremist in Albany Upstate.

31 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

Apparently 240th retired 1896-1900 @Calvin, but I won't believe it until I hear it from my friend who works at 240th, who previously stated that said set is having issues and won't see service until year's end, or 2023. unknown.png

Or maybe the set will be cannibalized of spare parts to maintain the rest of the fleet