SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The lawlessness on the subway overnight is ridiculous. I’ve tweeted to MTA several times of people smoking open joints and cigarettes on board the subway and filling the car with weed/cig smoke, someone acting erratic, riding between cars, and their response is always “well let NYPD know”. And nothing is ever done.

And mind you, I ride the (2) from Atlantic all the way to 225th St.

Pretty sure it’s just a bot responding to your request, no way the MTA will do something from wherever their HQ is located, it’s not like they care anyway, as long as the bots or the people responding with a click of a button on their screen get paid 

6 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Deleted post 

The renovations done on the (7) currently are quite strange, they start by painting the steel structures, which I have never seen happen in previous renovations, also the way the contractors cover up the work, usually the work is exposed to the public but it seems the contractor wants to hide the work from the public, would be cool if they just let us see the process of the work being done, what are they gonna hide behind the blue walls, it’s just a bit of paint work and windscreen removal as well as the exposed platform 

Just now, Chris89292 said:

The renovations done on the (7) currently are quite strange, they start by painting the steel structures, which I have never seen happen in previous renovations, also the way the contractors cover up the work, usually the work is exposed to the public but it seems the contractor wants to hide the work from the public, would be cool if they just let us see the process of the work being done, what are they gonna hide behind the blue walls, it’s just a bit of paint work and windscreen removal as well as the exposed platform 

I think the blue walls is so they can work on the station without flagging on the line. The (J) line stops getting renovated the train has to pass though the stops at an restricted speed where's the (7) train just slow to 15 MPH then resume normal speed like it's an battery run.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The lawlessness on the subway overnight is ridiculous. I’ve tweeted to MTA several times of people smoking open joints and cigarettes on board the subway and filling the car with weed/cig smoke, someone acting erratic, riding between cars, and their response is always “well let NYPD know”. And nothing is ever done.

And mind you, I ride the (2) from Atlantic all the way to 225th St.

And before anyone tells me “maybe it’s because you aren’t near a station that has transit cops available”.

The (2) overnight from Atlantic to 225th St is almost an hour and 20 minutes…that’s more then enough time.

29 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I think the blue walls is so they can work on the station without flagging on the line. The (J) line stops getting renovated the train has to pass though the stops at a restricted speed where's the (7) train just slow to 15 MPH then resume normal speed like it's a battery run.

This was the same case at the woodhaven Blvd station on the (J), it temporarily had those huge blue walls covering up the station until they were completely removed when the platform was completely demolished, it could possibly be there for safety purposes too, but I doubt it, either way the walls will have to be removed once the platforms at 82nd and 111 Street are all demolished, they’re like halfway there to be demolished

The R46 pair, 5550, 5552 and 5553 at Coney Island has been scratched off the list from passenger service. I was sitting as a passenger on my cousins' car seeing that set from above while the traffic on the Belt Parkway was slow: the 3 mentioned cars are by the siding with doors opened, parts of the front sign and LCD has been removed. All remaining leftover parts from that set are used as spare parts for their R46 fleet. 

5551 has been closed off. https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?160537

Edited by Calvin

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

And before anyone tells me “maybe it’s because you aren’t near a station that has transit cops available”.

The (2) overnight from Atlantic to 225th St is almost an hour and 20 minutes…that’s more then enough time.

I mean the (E) is lawlessness during the day and night. It’s just during the day you have other passengers to focus on versus the night where you have 2 crazies talking to themselves and 3 other passengers

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

The R46 pair, 5550, 5552 and 5553 at Coney Island has been scratched off the list from passenger service. I was sitting as a passenger on my cousins' car seeing that set from above while the traffic on the Belt Parkway was slow: the 3 mentioned cars are by the siding with doors opened, parts of the front sign and LCD has been removed. All remaining leftover parts from that set are used as spare parts for their R46 fleet. 

5551 has been closed off. https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?160537

That’s the train that was involved in the 2022 Sunset Park shooting

8 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I mean the (E) is lawlessness during the day and night. It’s just during the day you have other passengers to focus on versus the night where you have 2 crazies talking to themselves and 3 other passengers

I agree. I don’t want to take the subway, but unfortunately Metro-North does not run over night and I have no other alternative…

There will be a slight increase in (1) and (6) services during the weekends. Starting Saturday, both of these trains will run every 6 minutes instead of 8 minutes except midnight hours. 

During the weekends, there's at least 16 trains for the (1) and (6). But, with 6 minutes: they'll have 6 extra trains added in service in total to 22. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvu9QdFrjwa/?img_index=1

Edited by Calvin

7 hours ago, Calvin said:

There will be a slight increase in (1) and (6) services during the weekends. Starting Saturday, both of these trains will run every 6 minutes instead of 8 minutes except midnight hours. 

During the weekends, there's at least 16 trains for the (1) and (6). But, with 6 minutes: they'll have 6 extra trains added in service in total to 22. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvu9QdFrjwa/?img_index=1

Honestly I've never had problems with the (1) and (6) on weekends; they don't seem to get very crowded and even if trains ran only ran every 6 minutes they were pretty consistent. I'm glad they're increasing service, but I wonder why they choose the (1) and (6).

The worst weekend offenders always seem to be heavily interlined B-Division trains where individual services become really spotty. I've had so many weekend experiences where I've had to wait like 20+ minutes for an (R) train which is cruel to QBLVD local riders. I wish more focus would be placed on those lines.

8 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

The worst weekend offenders always seem to be heavily interlined B-Division trains where individual services become really spotty. I've had so many weekend experiences where I've had to wait like 20+ minutes for an (R) train which is cruel to QBLVD local riders. I wish more focus would be placed on those lines.

The dreaded 12 minute headways which can easily become 15 or 20+ if something goes wrong. Hopefully when CBTC work is finished the (MTA) can make all of those lines run every 8-10 minutes at least on the weekends.

13 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Honestly I've never had problems with the (1) and (6) on weekends; they don't seem to get very crowded and even if trains ran only ran every 6 minutes they were pretty consistent. I'm glad they're increasing service, but I wonder why they choose the (1) and (6).

The (R) is just terrible, even if it ran every 6 mins on weekends, it's still terrible. The GO on 4th ave doesn't make it any better. last sunday night the next (R) train was 25 mins away. This is every weekend which sucks,.

5 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The (R) is just terrible, even if it ran every 6 mins on weekends, it's still terrible. The GO on 4th ave doesn't make it any better. last sunday night the next (R) train was 25 mins away. This is every weekend which sucks,.

Tell me about it! The (R) is just not the best that it could do! Every day, every station, every borough, everything! They're just always delayed no thanks to the GO or maybe the subway system itself.

15 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I feel like it’s to have more A division locals. Right now 7th and Lex exp has 12.5tph while the locals only have 7.5tph. Bumping it up to 10tph would be beneficial. Also the (1) and (6) don’t really interline with other routes (save service changers) so it’s easier to increase service.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:02 PM, Chris89292 said:

Pretty sure it’s just a bot responding to your request, no way the MTA will do something from wherever their HQ is located, it’s not like they care anyway, as long as the bots or the people responding with a click of a button on their screen get paid 

They are very much humans and they are very nice people who sit in the corner of RCC and post this stuff.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:04 PM, darkstar8983 said:

This morning on the (L) train there was an assault and robbery during the AM rush hour at Bedford Av. The platform filled up with the conductor tending to the victim and her injuries. The train was almost taken out of service until a Good Samaritan crewmember was available miraculously on the (L) train and took over the train to continue the trip towards Manhattan. The train then proceeded to Manhattan and skipped Union Square + 6 Av

DAMN! At least she's alright.

Edited by Ale188

This current summer, the subway emergency exits is a step ahead to avoid fraud. Key to the system is no more for now but the turnstiles is still to be determined. 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/mta-step-ahead-of-fraudster-promising-key-to-the-subway/4583030/?fbclid=IwAR2X65ns8z-8w8YtK3FIKM4q1LVf1Q0HjXOFK2-b1Wba8J4q5k2a-Y6JgxM

Edited by Calvin

On 8/10/2023 at 10:12 AM, Lil 57 said:

The dreaded 12 minute headways which can easily become 15 or 20+ if something goes wrong. Hopefully when CBTC work is finished the (MTA) can make all of those lines run every 8-10 minutes at least on the weekends.

Don't count on it, once we have CBTC, we still have the dreaded 4th Ave, the Manhattan Bridge, Dekalb, Montague, and Broadway Lines to screw something up, so it will still run between somewhere from the range of every 3 min to every 25 minutes like it does today

On 8/10/2023 at 1:27 AM, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

The entire B Div is just horrible. Terrible headways, bunching, large 20-35 minute service gap almost once an hour. After 8pm on a weekday and the entire weekend, don't even bother, because waiting 30 minutes for a train has become the norm. It's too bad I have to rely on this crappy service

The (1) and (6) I never had problems with, they come relatively frequent

Edited by Mtatransit

On 8/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, ThatSubwayFan980 said:

Tell me about it! The (R) is just not the best that it could do! Every day, every station, every borough, everything! They're just always delayed no thanks to the GO or maybe the subway system itself.

Fully agree. GO or no GO, the (R) always seems to get delayed. How many times can we keep running it the same way and expecting different/better results?