SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just been informed that someone fell into and was hit by a (Q) at Avenue J from a friend.  Not concrete information and can't confirm yet.

I was there at 5pm yesterday, all service seemed fine. The only "delay" in service I saw was 3 (Q) trains back-to-back at Parkside going southbound.

There is a mistake in this 1980s picture at Fulton St. The sign claims that the (4) went to Dyre Av while it was really the (5). [image]

Wow, never knew Fulton used to have the white-tiled platform edge strip. From what I hear, Wall St used to have that too.

Edited by 4P3607

I was there at 5pm yesterday, all service seemed fine. The only "delay" in service I saw was 3 (Q) trains back-to-back at Parkside going southbound.

I wasn't told which side he fell, but if that was the case then maybe it was the southbound, but other than that I didn't hear anything else on the situation.  So I can't even say if it even happened or not.

Today as I got off an (E) train on the express track at Kew Gardens across the platform there was a Jamaica 179 St bound Rush Hour (E) express. The time was 6:25 PM. I was wondering why it was on the local track? Perhaps for transfers? I didn't have something to take a picture of it. Before this I haven't seen one before. Thoughts?

Edited by Union Tpke

Today as I got off an (E) train on the express track at Kew Gardens across the platform there was a Jamaica 179 St bound Rush Hour (E) express. The time was 6:25 PM. I was wondering why it was on the local track? Perhaps for transfers? I didn't have something to take a picture of it. Before this I haven't seen one before. Thoughts?

I'm guessing it's following the (F) routing to 179 Street during these peak hours....

The (E)'s that go to 179 run local after 71 Av...

Those PM rush (E)'s to 179th do run local, reason is a (F) train lays up on the express track before the first (E) train gets there. A while back I rode the first (E) to 179th and when it got to Parsons a (F) train was laying up on the express track.

It sucked as I wanted to ride a (E) on that track, I heard from fans who was lucky enough to actually ride a (E) on that track, its one of the best express runs in the system...

Those PM rush (E)'s to 179th do run local, reason is a (F) train lays up on the express track before the first (E) train gets there. A while back I rode the first (E) to 179th and when it got to Parsons a (F) train was laying up on the express track.

It sucked as I wanted to ride a (E) on that track, I heard from fans who was lucky enough to actually ride a (E) on that track, its one of the best express runs in the system...

I think the service is meant to be express, but lay-ups on the F often prevent this. 

Speaking of the (F) train, trains were delayed and platforms majorly jammed at 47-50 as I waited for the (M) - which would be going over 63rd anyway. The minutes dragged on and I thought to myself, I bet it's a R46 F train with a persnickety door. 

Sure enough, the old F comes crawling into the station and is promptly mobbed by the dullard masses who can't fathom there will be 4 or 5 trains in a conga line behind it. And there's that sticky door. Open-close. Open-close. Open-close. I look up and down the train for the red light of doom. It's in the head car, just behind the T/O cab, and the T/O is leaning her head out the window looking at it and frowning. 

Now, I thought I might be crossing the line on this one, in terms of good samaritan vs. interfering with the train, but I was standing a car back and this had been going on for a few minutes, so I elect to walk up to the door and give it a good shove towards closed. *click*. The door locks, the light's out. I look at the T/O who I'm half expecting to be unhappy with my random act of shove-age - but she's not. She's smiling widely and gives me a thanks and a wave. As the train leaves the station I think to myself "Yeah man, I saved the day!... until the next time they open their doors at least" 

Anyway, a long story, but it was one of those tiny moments of victory that I thought you guys would appreciate. 

That's not true. The (E) trains to 179 run express, also between Kew Gardens and Jamaica 179 St

I looked inside the train at the FIND display and it said the next stop was Parsons Blvd.

They don't have the (E) program to 179 St via Hillside local (dunno why), so they USSR the regular express one and make the manual announcements when needed.

So let me get in straight. Those (E) Trains are supposed to be express but there's a layup on the express tracks. Why don't they put the layups in the layup yard past 179 St. So do they sometimes actually make it run express? 

I've always wondered why the northbound express track descends at 103rd Street on the (A). I see there's a 103rd platform on the upper and lower level both in use.

Is this what you meant? "Each level has one side platform to the west of two tracks. The two express tracks that bypass this station are used by the A train during daytime hours and the D at all times."

"North of this station, the northbound express track descends to allow the northbound local to cross over it, before rising up at 110th Street, where the line becomes the standard four tracks side-by-side with the local tracks on the side and express tracks in the center. Also, the IRT Lenox Avenue Line passes underneath this station at the extreme north end and is not visible from the platforms."

Is this what you meant? "Each level has one side platform to the west of two tracks. The two express tracks that bypass this station are used by the A train during daytime hours and the D at all times."

"North of this station, the northbound express track descends to allow the northbound local to cross over it, before rising up at 110th Street, where the line becomes the standard four tracks side-by-side with the local tracks on the side and express tracks in the center. Also, the IRT Lenox Avenue Line passes underneath this station at the extreme north end and is not visible from the platforms."

Yeah. Thanks.

Edited by lupojohn

So let me get in straight. Those (E) Trains are supposed to be express but there's a layup on the express tracks. Why don't they put the layups in the layup yard past 179 St. So do they sometimes actually make it run express? 

I've heard of it going express in that segment. 

Assumably they don't put the layups in the layup yard because the layup yard is full. The F is one of the busiest lines, mind you, and rush hour goes in both directions for different segments of it. The only reason some E trains even run the route is that Jamaica Center can't turn enough trains to support the 15/15 E/F split that is currently in use. The express tracks along hillside, mostly were for future expansion. There's not much reason to run an express service on them with current service patterns, I don't think. 

if you send all those trains to the layup, then how would regular (F) trains turn around...

They can still send some of those (E) s to that layup, from what I see there are 6 tracks there and can hold 2 trains on one track (correct me if i'm wrong on that, sure seems like you can hold two 600 foot trains if the tracks go about 9 blocks). I'm pretty sure the (F) doesn't use all 6 tracks.

I got a southbound <6> at 110th Street to go to 51st Street and transfer to the (E), but it made all stops.

The <6> makes all stops in Manhattan, its only express in the Bronx (I can see thats confusing for people who don't know the subway system).

The <6> makes all stops in Manhattan, its only express in the Bronx (I can see thats confusing for people who don't know the subway system).

I know the system. Just never boarded a <6> before.

All stops in Queens or all stops past Forest Hills?

The <6>, not the (E).

I've ridden the (J) taking the front window via the R42s after school all week going from Jamaica to Broad. I will also remember the day I first rode them on the (C). The R42s have became my favorite cars right after the R32s and R40s (slants).

Edited by RollOverMyHead