SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Guest Lance

There's a difference between weekend and weekday, just saying.Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I meant to put the dates of that shutdown in my modified post. It occurs on the Memorial Day weekend.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess karma bit me in the ass today.  After mocking the delays in uptown a couple of days ago, I get hit with the storm delays this morning in Lower Manhattan.  Well deserved and well played mother nature.

Too bad you don't have MetroNorth style service... Train was right on time rain and all...  :D

My afternoon on the (C) and (4)....

After school, I take the (C) from Euclid, taking the front window. I haven't been passed by an (A) since my train left Euclid. Then as soon as we reach Lafayette, an (A) passed us. And as we crawl all the way to Hoyt, another (A) passed us, delaying my train even further. My train got held again at Canal to let the (E) go first after making a connection to it. Then my train had a mechanical problem while at 86th for a few minutes. The next (C) was sent up express on CPW and me made a connection to that train at 125th. I ran to that other train, thinking it was going to 207th. As soon as we got to 145th, it was held so the TA can get things back to normal. It turn out my train was now going to local and end at 168th.

While heading home on the (4), there was an annoying baby crying and trying to convince her mom to be tucked in her arms.

The End...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Guest MTA Bus

Today marks the R-42's 44th Birthday. The first pair # 4554-4555 (now in the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean) debuted on May 9th, 1969 on the N train in a mixed consist of R-32's and R-40M's.

Yeah, that was it. What does that mean?

Oh, "Oversize Load" just means the truck and load together are larger than a truck is generally allowed to be. I think 8 1/2' wide is the general limit, and the R-44 is 10 feet wide. 

Oversize loads need to have those banners, and depending on how oversize they are, they may need "Pilot Cars" and other precautions as well. I won't get into the specifics here, but wikipedia will: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversize_load

Something happened today.i was on a 2 train at Flatbush waiting to leave.On my scanner i heard the train ahead at Newkirk had a report of a sick customer.beacuse of this I left the train I was waiting in because I did not want to get stuck behind it.For some reason they let this (2) train proceed out of Flatbush.Turned out there was no sick passenger on this train.My question is why did they let this (2) train leave Flatbush.Shouldnt they have held it till the situation at Newkirk was resolved?

Edited by Abba

Something happened today.i was on a 2 train at Flatbush waiting to leave.On my scanner i heard the train ahead at Newkirk had a report of a sick customer.beacuse of this I left the train I was waiting in because I did not want to get stuck behind it.For some reason they let this (2) train proceed out of Flatbush.Turned out there was no sick passenger on this train.My question is why did they let this (2) train leave Flatbush.Shouldnt they have held it till the situation at Newkirk was resolved?

Seems like you just answered your own question.... You also don't know what the conductor of the train was privy too other than what you heard on your scanner.

It was determined there was No sick passenger after the train left.Meaning when the train left the investigation wasn't completed yet.

But control had time to not let the train leave Flatbush.

Edited by Abba

It was determined there was No sick passenger after the train left.Meaning when the train left the investigation wasn't completed yet.

But control had time to not let the train leave Flatbush.

Maybe they wanted to prevent the train from becoming more crowded. The longer the train sits there, the more people come on, and it could cause the train to become overcrowded (then again, the late train would probably take most of the crowds anyway). Or maybe it had something to do with being able to list it as an on-time pullout. (Or maybe they wanted to clear the track for the next train to pull into the terminal).

So I just noticed they finally added F to Coney Island transfer under Kings Highway in the FIND program for Kings Highway-bound (F) trains. Nice to see that added after four years of R160s on the (F). Still have (G) train transfers only listed at Bergen, Carroll, and Smith-9 Sts, though.

Edited by Culver

Quick question: To anybody who takes the (G), where do the trains stop along the platform? Do they stop between the 1 and 4 markers, or the 3 and 6 markers, or what?

Depending on the station (and the day), it's either at the 6 car or S markers (weekdays) and at the OPTO S markers on weekends

Are the roofs of the R32s and R38s the same?

The R38s were retired simply because of severing rotting on their roofs and I think also the fact that there were only less than 200 of them. I heard their rotten roofs were because they had operated through the Jamaica Bay (on the (A)) for years.

Are the roofs of the R32s and R38s the same?

The R38s were retired simply because of severing rotting on their roofs and I think also the fact that there were only less than 200 of them. I heard their rotten roofs were because they had operated through the Jamaica Bay (on the (A)) for years.

The R32's have stainless steel roofs similar to the ribbed metal on the sides... the R38's had carbon steel roofs.

On another note, what the hell are they doing that requires (G) train service to be suspended past Hoyt Street but not (F) train service? Not to sound bitchy, but normally the two are suspended together...

Edited by Threxx

Guest MTA Bus

The R32's have stainless steel roofs similar to the ribbed metal on the sides... the R38's had carbon steel roofs.

On another note, what the hell are they doing that requires (G) train service to be suspended past Hoyt Street but not (F) train service? Not to sound bitchy, but normally the two are suspended together...

They are working on the Queens bound (G) track between Hoyt and Bergen