SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier there were delays on the (3) , I heard a (3) had mechanical problems around Atlantic Avenue and backed up local service. Of course I just found out what set had mechanical problems (Daniel told me this)... 1345

........... :mellow:

The R143's really are ungoverned. Took the (L) into Manhattan yesterday, the train seemed even faster than normal.

They the same speed as always, just with ATO in effect, they go through turns and operate faster than with manual operation

Guest Lance

The first of the Whitehall/lower Manhattan Broadway line shutdowns:

(R) Trains run via the (Q) in both directions between Canal St and DeKalb Av
Weekend, Saturday and Sunday, Jun 15 - 16

No R.png service at Jay St-MetroTech, Court, Whitehall, Rector, Cortlandt Sts and City Hall.

(N) Trains run via the (Q) in both directions between Canal St and DeKalb Av

Late Nights, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Jun 14 - 17

No N.png service at Jay St-MetroTech, Court, Whitehall, Rector, Cortlandt Sts and City Hall.
Edited by Lance

Wow, south side of the Manhattan Bridge gonna be getting a workout that weekend! I'm shocked they didn't just ax (R) service and run everything local to replace it (4th Ave, Broadway & Queens Blvd). They could have just ran a shuttle between 36th and Bay Ridge like they do late nights.

Wow, south side of the Manhattan Bridge gonna be getting a workout that weekend! I'm shocked they didn't just ax (R) service and run everything local to replace it (4th Ave, Broadway & Queens Blvd). They could have just ran a shuttle between 36th and Bay Ridge like they do late nights.

Track work may be happening anywhere on the (R) between Canal and DeKalb. Plus, the (B) doesn't run on weekends. So at DeKalb, the (Q) and (R) will be on the Brighton tracks while the (D) and (N) stay on the 4th Avenue express tracks.

The headway intervals are already ten or so minutes. I don't think it will be an issue.

...........  :mellow:

The R143's really are ungoverned. Took the (L) into Manhattan yesterday, the train seemed even faster than normal.

They're the very definition of governed - a computer is limiting the speed of the train at all times when ATO is in effect. 

Because the signaling system has precise control of the train, it doesn't need to have as wide safety margins as fixed-block signaling, and the train can operate closer to tolerances. 

Remember, old-school fixed block signaling is meant to be able to stop "A train at maximum speed with any semblance of functional brakes" before a collision or derailment.