SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

could they be put back nearby?

Exactly. There's space west of the station, why can't it be put there?

BTW would a local to express north of W4th St and an express to local west of Broadway-Lafayatte cut down maintenance costs? It would remove the level junction of the switch, thus, removing the need of maintaining it to make sure the level junction works properly.

Edited by MTA Dude

BTW would a local to express north of W4th St and an express to local west of Broadway-Lafayatte cut down maintenance costs? It would remove the level junction of the switch, thus, removing the need of maintaining it to make sure the level junction works properly.

What do you mean? Draw a track diagram.

Someone is posting a "rumor" on  that mta facebook group, that the (J) might be extended via the old (M) during the next subway pick and to "take it with a grain of salt". I'll just leave it here and let you digest it

There was a similar rumor in 2012, which never happened with the J going to 9th Avenue.

could they be put back nearby?

In theory, they could put it back, but it obviously couldn't be in the same position it was pre-Chrystie. The turn-out towards Grand St is now in that location. The ideal location of such a switch would actually be west of the station, but the MTA would have to secure Houston St above since installing a new switch would require the removal of support pillars.

Someone is posting a "rumor" on  that mta facebook group, that the (J) might be extended via the old (M) during the next subway pick and to "take it with a grain of salt". I'll just leave it here and let you digest it

I really wish people would stop posting unfounded rumors here. If there was such a move in the works, don't you think we'd here about it from official sources and not random Facebook groups?

W4_zpsclib5pxn.png

Sorry just scribbled this right now. I'm not sure if this theory is true, but will limiting level junctions of the switches cut down maintenance costs?

Now assume switch problems at West 4 Street and the need to reroute (F) and (M) trains to the express track. How would those trains go back to local after bypassing the switches south of West 4 Street?

I don't know if this was covered already, but I took a look at the latest (J) train timetable, and they finally added the (Z) stop at Alabama Avenue on the maps, but they also have the (Z) stopping at 111th Street on the timetable (which it doesn't.)

Edit: took a gander at the subway map on the website and it also shows Alabama Avenue as a (J) and (Z) stop now.

Edited by paulrivera

I don't know if this was covered already, but I took a look at the latest (J) train timetable, and they finally added the (Z) stop at Alabama Avenue on the maps, but they also have the (Z) stopping at 111th Street on the timetable (which it doesn't.)

Edit: took a gander at the subway map on the website and it also shows Alabama Avenue as a (J) and (Z) stop now.

So now the (Z) skips only 6 stops in total, but the (J) skips 7. That kind of throws things off a bit.

Hey did anybody notice that there's a (1) train in the Storage Yard signed up as a (9) in the front roll sign?

Okay and...? Crews mess around with the signs on out of service trains all the time. It's not breaking news.

Speaking of news, expect a Plan 4 to be implemented tomorrow into Tuesday due to the upcoming snowstorm.