SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Sigh (D) . I meant it can go via Qboro (N) then in Manhattan it can switch to the (F) line at one of the stations it meets up with the (F) correct me if im wrong it cannot connect to the Culver in Manhattan while on the (N) line

Here's how the transfer works:

From Corona, on the (7) to QBP, then the (N) to Barclays, layover, then the (D) to Concourse yard, then the (4) to 125th, and then the (6) to Westchester.

I believe sometimes the R62As may also go via 207th street yard when there are those extra singles that need their mates.

No (F) tracks are involved in this process.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something along the lines of an electrical design flaw. Main lights go off on gaps and the battery lights remain on

At the time, that was a huge improvement! The redbirds were going black on the gaps and people were getting jumped.

All trains, up to and including R160s, dim on the gaps, but the amount of light lost is most pronounced and frequent on the 62s. R46s and R62As will switch to battery lights like the 62s (and that's very dark on the R46s) when they're on a gap for a long time.

--

As of this weekend, Astor Place's 1980s rumble strips (alive only on the southbound side) are no more. The yellow ADA takeover continues.

Edited by MHV9218

That's a LOT of switching...

Yeah that is pretty much why whatever the (7) gets it stays there for a long time. The R62A's have been on the (7) since 2003. The R33's/R36's were on the (7) from 1964 to 2003. Even the R12's R15's and I also believe R7's were on the (7) for a good 20 years of better. These R142A converts/R188's are expected to run on the (7) for at least another 30 years. The converts are obviously going to retire first but we still have lots of time before that happens.

It has to switch to the BMT track at Queensboro Plaza then I think it has to run via the (B) and (D) line to Jerome yard and switch into the (4) which switch to the (6) line.

Actually (at least in late night), couldn't a (7) moving to the (6) make the switch at Queensboro Plaza, go far enough into the tunnel where it can change directions and switch to the (R) track, go into Queens Plaza and then run via the Crosstown to where it connects to the (F), change directions again and then go up 6th Avenue, switch to the (D) track and go that way to Concourse?

Edited by Wallyhorse

Actually (at least in late night), couldn't a (7) moving to the (6) make the switch at Queensboro Plaza, go far enough into the tunnel where it can change directions and switch to the (R) track, go into Queens Plaza and then run via the Crosstown to where it connects to the (F), change directions again and then go up 6th Avenue, switch to the (D) track and go that way to Concourse?

Now that I think about it, it could be possible to go to 57th Street, then lex and 63rd Street to use the (D) at Rockefeller too. Most times, however, the MTA uses my method, probably because that's more relaying used in the 63rd Street method and the 60 Street method, and there are revenue tracks on the QBL tracks and the 63 Street tracks, while no tracks are used at Barclays when it needs to layover.

It could do that but that is a lot more relaying and turning. The (7) being the only IRT line in Queens should have really been an IND line which would have made moves easier.

That is why whatever fleet is on the (7) stays for a long period of time. Those converted R142A's and new R188's will never leave the (7) until they retire. It will be sometime in the late 2030's and 2040's that the (7) will have a totally brand new fleet a cars in like at that point 70+ years since the R33/R36. The MTA isn't fooling anyone with those dirty R142A converts. I don't mean to rant but they could have at least cleaned the interiors to make them seem new. Nope the same old rust and dirt and graffiti. I wonder if their MDBF is still low now that they are called R188's with CBTC.

I actually started cleaning up the R142A converted sets. Today I started on 7301 cleaning it down to the brim :)

Umm.... sure why not?

Hey, that thing was mad dirty. And why not help out the (MTA) in something for once?

I guess, but since it's NYC, it's probably gonna get dirty as soon as you leave it.