SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait you guys are wrong I DID hear a (E) to 168 St program on an R160 a few years back. Let me see if I can find the sound recording. | < PROOF?

On the other hand, why did the (MTA) even make a (V) to Rockaway Park announcement?

There's no (V) to Rockaway Park announcement...

Right now the station is hidden, you'd only know it was there if you already know about the station. They should have Big (7) signs pointing to the new station from the Javitz Center and perhaps advertise it inside the Javits center as a way to get back to other subway lines.

Edit: Forgot to reply to the last quote. Is EVERY car in the (E) full? Also, you could transfer to the (F) at Union Turnpike if the (E) is that bad.

I passed by Comic Con, there was a LOT of people who used that station. But you're right in a way, I also saw people walking from 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal and 34 St-Penn Station to the Javits Center. The (7) was busy this past weekend.

There is. Will you wait till I find the announcement...

There's no (V) to Rockaway Park announcement...

I passed by Comic Con, there was a LOT of people who used that station. But you're right in a way, I also saw people walking from 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal and 34 St-Penn Station to the Javits Center. The (7) was busy this past weekend.

I meant Rockaway Parkway on the (L). Why do we even have 2 Rockaways that makes it so confusing.

On the other hand, I became a Senior Member :)

I meant Rockaway Parkway on the (L). Why do we even have 2 Rockaways that makes it so confusing.

Cool. I did too. Made my mark by summer's end.

And for the rockaway part, there are like a few rockaway areas in NYC, especially on the (A) and (C) lines, it's just a matter of paying attention to where you are going. (Rockaway Av, Rockaway Blvd, Rockaway Park, Far Rockaway)

Just like there's a (V) to Metropolitan

...and the (D) to Far Rockaway

...and the (B) via Brighton skip-stop

...and the (C) to Norwood

...and the (A) to Coney Island via Culver

Its a bunch of programs for a bunch of hypothetical situations that may or may not happen. Not every single possible route combination is included.

Just like there's a (V) to Metropolitan

...and the (D) to Far Rockaway

...and the (B) via Brighton skip-stop

...and the (C) to Norwood

...and the (A) to Coney Island via Culver

Its a bunch of programs for a bunch of hypothetical situations that may or may not happen. Not every single possible route combination is included.

Don't forget the (D) to Forest Hills and (F) to 205th Street.

Is there a (F) to 96th St/2nd ave?

Speaking of that... I wonder if the (N) will have some rush hour put ins/layups on the SAS, namely the (N)'s that layup on the express track between 49th and 57th street during middays, prior to SAS construction they layed up between 57th and 63rd.

I think only the (Q) has SAS announcements for now though, I never seen programs posted for the other B div routes.

Come to think of it, (M) trains can terminate at 96th street on weekends if they need a northern terminal and don't want to send it to 71st Ave

that is what Wallyhorse has been saying, and I agree with that, although it would be better to have it terminate at 71st Ave, however there are service changes on weekends, which would prevent it from terminating there.

Seen a couple guys ride outside the back of a train last week. Since then I've been wondering, what is the protocol for when things like this are spotted by MTA workers ?

They'll radio it to RCC who notifies NYPD transit. RCC might have them hold, unknown if the crew can or would hold on their own volition.

Come to think of it, (M) trains can terminate at 96th street on weekends if they need a northern terminal and don't want to send it to 71st Ave

that is what Wallyhorse has been saying, and I agree with that, although it would be better to have it terminate at 71st Ave, however there are service changes on weekends, which would prevent it from terminating there.

While the benefit of weekend M service to 71/Continental is pretty huge, I don't know if there's much to be gained by sending it up to 96. It would seem to me that if track work prevents it from going all the way to queens you're better off just sending it to essex or chambers like they do now. The 3 stops along 6th ave that would get extra service probably don't need the help, whereas the R is consistently well above loading guidelines during daytime weekend hours in queens. Maybe the 2nd avenue stops could use the help, but until they're open we won't know that.  

Ok well based on the programs this is what I have gathered so far:

(Q) to 72 St - 2nd Av

(Q) to 96 St - 2nd Av

(Q) to 96 St - 2 Av via 6th Av

(W) to 72 St - 2nd Av

(N) to 72 St - 2nd Av

And here are the ones that aren't confirmed:

(T) to 96 St - 2nd Av

(N) to 96 St - 2nd AV

(F) to 72 St - 2nd Av

(V) to 72 St - 2nd Av via Broadway

(W) to 125 St - 2nd Av

They'll radio it to RCC who notifies NYPD transit. RCC might have them hold, unknown if the crew can or would hold on their own volition.

While the benefit of weekend M service to 71/Continental is pretty huge, I don't know if there's much to be gained by sending it up to 96. It would seem to me that if track work prevents it from going all the way to queens you're better off just sending it to essex or chambers like they do now. The 3 stops along 6th ave that would get extra service probably don't need the help, whereas the R is consistently well above loading guidelines during daytime weekend hours in queens. Maybe the 2nd avenue stops could use the help, but until they're open we won't know that.  

Given that part of Manhattan is extremely densely populated (arguably the most densely populated area in the country), the four stops on 2nd Avenue (incl. 63rd/Lex) that would be served late nights and weekends by BOTH the (M) and (Q) would benefit greatly by the supplemental service the (M) would give the UES during those hours.  I've been in that part of Manhattan nights and weekends and it's an extremely busy area, in particular around 86th Street, so yes, having the (M) go to 96th/2nd nights and weekends would definitely help.