BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol.... Not really... Like I said, the MCIs eat up far more mileage than the Orion 5s... You can't even compare the MCIs to the Orions... The Orions take a backseat to the MCI at all times.

Yeah a bus that makes one round trip that only runs during rush hours eats up more mileage than a bus that operates back and forth all day every day. Please....

lol.... Not really... Like I said, the MCIs eat up far more mileage than the Orion 5s... You can't even compare the MCIs to the Orions... The Orions take a backseat to the MCI at all times.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that local buses take more abuse than the MCIs, because they spend more time doing stop-and-go. Plus, a lot of express buses are rush hour-only, so for the most part, the O5s are in use the whole day, whereas a lot of the MCIs have the middays off so to speak.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that local buses take more abuse than the MCIs, because they spend more time doing stop-and-go. Plus, a lot of express buses are rush hour-only, so for the most part, the O5s are in use the whole day, whereas a lot of the MCIs have the middays off so to speak.

Exactly! So if MCIs are soooooooo great then why are the 1998-1999 units leaving while we have Orion 5s and RTS older than the MCIs still around? Still awaiting a proper response....

Express buses deal with stop & go too so please... You think that a X1 is going to eat up less mileage AND face less wear and tear than a B2 or a B31?? I don't think so.

Exactly! So if MCIs are soooooooo great then why are the 1998-1999 units leaving while we have Orion 5s and RTS older than the MCIs still around? Still awaiting a proper response....

MCIs generally should be replaced every 13 years or so because of the amount of mileage they eat up.

Express buses deal with stop & go too so please... You think that a X1 is going to eat up less mileage AND face less wear and tear than a B2 or a B31?? I don't think so.

You're comparing the busiest express route in the system to 2 routes that are relatively quiet. Of course the X1 probably gets more wear-and-tear than the B2 or B31, but systemwide, the Orion Vs get more wear-and-tear on them.

The S79 can use either deck, but at night the lower deck is closed so they have to use the upper. For the S79 it's not a problem per se, but for the S53 heading to SI the bus has to use Hylan Boulevard because some drivers have difficulty turning onto Fingerboard road due to road construction.

You're comparing the busiest express route in the system to 2 routes that are relatively quiet. Of course the X1 probably gets more wear-and-tear than the B2 or B31, but systemwide, the Orion Vs get more wear-and-tear on them.

Probably?? LOL You haven't seen some of the streets that the X1 goes down. People say the roads are bad on Staten Island, but they forgot about Manhattan with the pothole craters everywhere.

I get that the Bx12 sBS runs up/down a very steep hill b/w University av and Broadway, but why is there 3 consecutive stops? couldn't they have axed one of them? also they need to put up signs to show where the Bx12 SBS is from the Pelham Pkwy stop on the Dyre (5) line. The streets in the area goes in "all directions".

Just wondering if near-duplicate routes that get combined together for the ridership stats (examples Bx1/2, 28/38, 40/42) are viewed as one route for the sake of the people at the depots dispatching service and what not. For example if a Bx28 and Bx38 show up at a certain stop at the same time is that a bus bunch?

I get that the Bx12 sBS runs up/down a very steep hill b/w University av and Broadway, but why is there 3 consecutive stops? couldn't they have axed one of them? also they need to put up signs to show where the Bx12 SBS is from the Pelham Pkwy stop on the Dyre (5) line. The streets in the area goes in "all directions".

Walking around that station can be a headache at times because of those streets.

Sedgwick Av wasn't an SBS stop initially but it was added in due to complaints. It was kinda weird how it was the last stop on the local bus but the SBS didn't stop there.

9932 is still around. I thought it would be long gone by now.

btw I still have a pic of 724. No, I'm not going to post it because its a hassle trying to get it off my phone onto my email, then onto my computer, then onto photobucket, then post it onto here (now can you see why I don't want to post it?) :P

Call me late or whatever, but I finally rode 230 for the first time. Still has a Bronx map in it and everything :cool:. Aside from the naked face, I noticed a few things on that bus that are different from the rest of the batch...

-The runbox is in a different font

-The interior poles inside the bus are the regular unpainted silver ones while all the other buses have the painted yellow ones

-On the door side, the "(MTA) New York City Bus" logo is on the decal'd (black) part of the bus while the others are placed right on the stripe

Differences aside, that bus sounds good...espically going into 6th gear B)

Just got off the Xcelsior on the S51 not too long ago. Even at 9 in the evening the buses still get a decent load.

You can thank BusTime for that. The other night I was walking home from Forest & Manor to the house and saw a few folks standing at stops that I rarely see folks standing at and they all appeared to be checking their phones as if they were checking to meet up with the bus.