BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally rode one of the rehabbed early O7s. 6395 is a complete rocket and those RTS seats feel like a real throwback, really great bus to ride. Looking forward to the rest of 6365-6424 running like that.

An RTS where?? I'm just glad that their days are numbered... It's the Countdown to Extinction... :cool:

MEGADETH - COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION :rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQDacBbaoQQ

AND Orion V's!

Yeah, the same reason why there are 1996 Orions and RTS' still around while 1998 MCIs are seeing the door....

Prevosts for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh... All I can say is thank God all of the express buses in Riverdale are MCIs... :cool: Some of them are almost 8 years old and are in pristine like condition. Now that's quality.

Ugh... All I can say is thank God all of the express buses in Riverdale are MCIs... :cool: Some of them are almost 8 years old and are in pristine like condition. Now that's quality.

You DON'T like Orion V's? :eek: :mad: :cry:

Steering away from this madness, caught an Orion 5 on the S93 Limited thins morning. The bus was packed so after Hylan Boulevard we flagged all the stops until Jewett Avenue.

lol... I need an MCI!! I need an MCI!! ;)

On a serious note, they usually always put the newest buses on the S93 these days... They were using those 48XX buses on them not too long ago. I'll have to see what's going on when I go to out there to ShopRite in a few weeks for my deals. :cool:

The 9:05 S93 Limited was an Xcelsior. I was going to ride it but I was hungry and I let the bus go and got some breakfast instead.

You know what's funny is that I've totally forgotten about Bus Time. I only think about when I go to Staten Island. The thing is that the express buses in Riverdale are so prompt that I don't even need to worry. I just show up a few minutes before and they're right on time. I'm sure part of it is that they know folks will scream.

I will say that I'm becoming rather annoyed with this bus stop situation on 44th & Madison. The B/O stopped at 43rd & Madison last night so I'm like great, here we go again. It was the same guy, so I just stepped out into the street and put my hand out and he stopped, but now he's saying that as of today the 44th & Madison stop is not the stop. The problem is the stop is still physically there with the BxM18 sign and schedule and the schedule on the (MTA) website still shows the stop at 44th & Madison. ;) I walked by 43rd & Madison this morning to look for the stop and there is an actual bus stop there but there is no BxM18 sign or schedule there. In fact there is nothing there but the physical bus stop, so until they officially change it, I'm getting on 44th & Madison. I already wrote in about it, so it's just a matter of the (MTA) contacting the DOT about it.

On a side note, are all of the Xcelsiors showing up on Bus Time now? I was writing in about every other day about MIA buses on Bus Time and most of them were Xcelsiors.

I took the S46 this afternoon and it was surprisingly crowded going towards St. George. Normally it doesn't get "risking flagging people" crowded until we get into the Port Richmond area, but this bus pulled into the DeRuyter Place/Van Pelt Avenue stop, and there was only space left in the back. I mean, I normally stand in the back anyway (because there always are some standees in the front), but I was pretty much forced to go to the back in this case.

Fortunately, some people got off, so we didn't really get much more crowded, but still, that's pretty surprising that it got that crowded at that point in the route.

I am assuming it was a lf bus? Just goes to show that people will prefer not to stand in the back and stay in the front. It justifies why I prefer the 2x2 seating for the back since it makes better use of the space at the back of the bus.

It was actually an Orion V, and a couple of people did move to the back of the bus, which is what could've made the difference between somebody being flagged or not.

Anyway, today I saw a traffic checker on the S46 (which was a little less crowded than yesterday). Part of it might've had to do with the fact that he came on time instead of a couple of minutes late.

Anyway, we were at the light by Walker Street/Morningstar Road, and I saw an S94 waiting to make the turn. I didn't ask the B/O to be let off early because I thought there'd be some people waiting at the S94 stop and that the S94 would have a hard time making that left turn. Unfortunately, neither was true and I missed the bus. Fortunately, an S89 came a few minutes later, and we caught up to it by my home stop (My home stop would be a local stop, but there's a limited stop a little further down, so we caught up to it there), so it didn't make a big difference.

By the way, the side walk on DeRuyter Place is very narrow. If the bus jerks its way into the stop, I have to lean against that fence to avoid being hit. :eek: (See below)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=7+De+Ruyter+Place,+New+York,+United+States&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=598&wrapid=tlif133237037926910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I wanted to add a couple of more points:

* Last night, I took the S46-S53-S98, and normally, it gives a three-legged transfer, but for some reason, the farebox took off another ride. Maybe it was a problem with the MetroCard itself, because the farebox sucked on it for a longer than usual.

* But, I can't really complain because at Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue, an S59 was waiting to turn as we pulled into the stop, so I had an easy transfer. (Plus, it was a Student MetroCard, I wasn't taking any more rides, and I would've used the ride on the S59 anyway)

* Today, a couple of minutes after I got off the bus with the traffic checker, there was another S46. I couldn't see clearly, but there were a few standees in the front and a lot of empty seats in the back. I wonder if it was bunching or they just added another bus without putting it on the schedule.

I hope they can get some reverse-peak S96 service going. They could just reduce the local service a bit, and it would barely cost them anything (plus, they might soon need to add service for crowd control anyway)

I really don't think reverse peak S96 is needed that much.

There's not a dire need, but I could see a need for it. Right now, there's 5 buses an hour, and the buses can get pretty crowded. If the S96 ran say, 3 buses per hour, and S46 service was reduced to 4 buses per hour (so instead of 5 local buses, you'd have 4 locals and 3 limiteds), you'd have less crowding and some people would get faster service to boot, and it could be done at little to no cost.

I mean, I've always felt the S98 should definitely get reverse-peak limited-stop service. Since the S96 is fairly similar, I don't see the harm in doing the same on that route.

I've argued against the limited-stop portion being extended to Mariners' Harbor, since the streets are narrow and winding, so it wouldn't work well. I used to think that reverse-peak limited-stop service wouldn't work for that reason, but looking at it again, I think it could work.

I'm only referring to the PM rush. During the AM rush, maybe it could be done for a short span (maybe 07:00-08:30 for the S96 and 08:00-08:30 for the S98). It would look weird to have a couple of reverse-peak limiteds, and then a gap of a couple of hours before the midday service starts, but what can you do?

Oh, while I'm at it, the 16:00 S44 out of St. George should be an S94. In most cases where you have two buses leaving St. George at once, one of them should be a limited.

Oh, while I'm at it, the 16:00 S44 out of St. George should be an S94. In most cases where you have two buses leaving St. George at once, one of them should be a limited.

That I agree with. There is similar case is with two S44's leaving St. George at 7:30PM. I also noticed, they took away the 7PM S94 and moved it to 9:00 PM.