BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Um.... Running hot is a big no no... If they're early they're supposed to wait.  That's a big pet peeve of mine.  I had a BxM1 do that a few Saturdays ago.  He was due to leave the first stop before I got to my stop and I still managed to miss him because he left the terminal early. He also wasn't on Bus Time either but I saw the bus as I was walking to the stop so it must've been him.  I had to wait over an hour for the next bus.  I was pissed and I made sure I wrote in too.  I called the depot and they're talking oh you have to wait.  I said to myself this guy must think I'm an idiot.  I know that B/O came early and now I'm stuck here waiting for an over an hour because the BxM2 by that time I had already come already so walking over to get that wasn't an option either.

An X28 did that shit once. I was there early and didn't care much since I was dozing off, but I'd guess the people who usually try and catch that scheduled run might've been pissed since the guy was like 4-5 minutes early off the schedule time.

EDIT: And that time the BM3 (cause I wondered which would get me home faster, what with living between the two) came pretty much very late or early. It was like 5 minutes late (or 5 minutes early) and ran both midtown and downtown portions for some reason when the one I was waiting for was supposed to be midtown only on the schedule. I know express guys wanna be on time and since they just do pick-ups they wanna get everyone and GTFO to the outer boroughs, but they really piss on the schedule sometimes. It was fine for me, maybe not so OK for people who missed a bus they waited for.

Edited by Culver

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An X28 did that shit once. I was there early and didn't care much since I was dozing off, but I'd guess the people who usually try and catch that scheduled run might've been pissed since the guy was like 4-5 minutes early off the schedule time.

EDIT: And that time the BM3 (cause I wondered which would get me home faster, what with living between the two) came pretty much very late or early. It was like 5 minutes late (or 5 minutes early) and ran both midtown and downtown portions for some reason when the one I was waiting for was supposed to be midtown only on the schedule. I know express guys wanna be on time and since they just do pick-ups they wanna get everyone and GTFO to the outer boroughs, but they really piss on the schedule sometimes. It was fine for me, maybe not so OK for people who missed a bus they waited for.

Let me tell you something, that is a huge pet peeve of mine.  If there's one measley bus an hour the least they can do is come at the time that's on the schedule.  I had bags with me so I was esp. pissed having to wait over an hour for the next bus when I arrived early to the stop.  You'd be surprised at how many unprofessional drivers are out here but Yonkers is a revolving door.  Every time I speak with my B/O buddy he's tells me another 5 - 10 guys were fired for doing some sh*t they had no business doing.  

Now I have a new guy on my route at night.  He calls himself accommodating passengers waiting for the local bus, so he starts asking where they're going and having a whole conversation with them when he's supposed to be dropping off and keeping it moving.  What was worse was him waiving them on.  Now had it been men waiting there that would've never happened. The accommodation of male drivers to females is so sexist and disgusting that it's not even funny.  I wrote in it about it because it's like hey the rest of us are paying $6.00 to get home fast and you're sitting here wasting our time like you're a taxi service.

The coming early thing for is really inexcusable because all they have to do is drive and stay on schedule... Neither of which are that complicated unless there is traffic.  If you have so much run time then leave the terminal later.  For the express trips they can make up the time fairly easy between the pick-up and drop-off segments, so passengers should have to be coming 10 - 15 minutes early just because a driver can't stay on time.  Used to happen a ton on the X10 before bus time.  A few times I'd get to the stop 10 minutes early.  I would have to literally run out of the cab because the bus was already there.  Since Bus Time though now the X10's all come late and generally are 15 - 20 minutes behind schedule, no matter how light traffic is.  This type of behavior is what leads to people being forced to use other options and ridership dropping because the bus becomes unreliable.  I always have to chuckle when I hear B/O's talking about oh I'm probably going to be fired because they're cutting runs when they're part of the problem. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Now I have a new guy on my route at night.  He calls himself accommodating passengers waiting for the local bus, so he starts asking where they're going and having a whole conversation with them when he's supposed to be dropping off and keeping it moving.  What was worse was him waiving them on.  Now had it been men waiting there that would've never happened. The accommodation of male drivers to females is so sexist and disgusting that it's not even funny.  I wrote in it about it because it's like hey the rest of us are paying $6.00 to get home fast and you're sitting here wasting our time like you're a taxi service.

Wait, So this b/o you're talking about is letting local passengers on for free within Riverdale? smh lol....

Lady waiting at a bus stop in the rain is equivalent to a damsel in distress - Regardless if that stop has a shelter or not !

Of course if those were guys waiting for the local, not one phuck would have been given.....

Wait, So this b/o you're talking about is letting local passengers on for free within Riverdale? smh lol....

Lady waiting at a bus stop in the rain is equivalent to a damsel in distress - Regardless if that stop has a shelter or not !

Of course if those were guys waiting for the local, not one phuck would have been given.....

Oh yeah, you know he rolled out the red carpet for them... Two of them (Slavic sounding blond chicks) were waiting there, so he's dropping off this lady and next thing I know we're sitting there in a "wonderful exchange" about where they're going, so I'm saying to myself, look at this sh*t.  They have taxi service while we sit here and wait when he's supposed to be dropping off.  Of course the first one tries to dip and her card didn't work (probably didn't have anything on it anyway) so he just waived the first one on and the other one didn't even bother to dip.  

Now let me try to do some sh*t like that and it would've never happen.  They can "follow the rules" when it comes to males (and young males in particular), but let it be a female and we can sit there and wait all night if need be because he's the ultimate gentlemen then.  Kneel the bus and everything for people that shouldn't be getting on the first place.

Hey,

What's your take on bus drivers making local stops even though they're supposed to run limited?

Around my way, MAJORITY of the routes that run limited service are rush-hour, so seeing occurrences like that happen make my commute that much more annoying.

Just yesterday, there was a guy running the NB Q4 LTD, so he's running fine until Farmers Blvd. When he pulls off, I ring the bell for the next limited stop, which is 197th. He then stops at 192nd like he was doing everyone on that bus a favor. Nobody got off. He then gives me the evil eye like I did something wrong. It's like there's no protocol enforced with drivers like that.

Hey,

What's your take on bus drivers making local stops even though they're supposed to run limited?

Around my way, MAJORITY of the routes that run limited service are rush-hour, so seeing occurrences like that happen make my commute that much more annoying.

Just yesterday, there was a guy running the NB Q4 LTD, so he's running fine until Farmers Blvd. When he pulls off, I ring the bell for the next limited stop, which is 197th. He then stops at 192nd like he was doing everyone on that bus a favor. Nobody got off. He then gives me the evil eye like I did something wrong. It's like there's no protocol enforced with drivers like that.

lol... Sounds like he didn't know what the actual stop was.  What pisses me is when I ring for a stop and then the B/O asks if anyone is getting off? I rang the bell for a reason, because I want the stop, so why are you asking for?? I sit all the way in the back so then they expect you to yell out that you're getting off when you rang the bell.  So stupid.  The other stupid thing some of them do is they're still picking up passengers but they turn out all of the lights, so the damn bus is pitch black when you're boarding.  Real airheads some of these drivers.

lol... Sounds like he didn't know what the actual stop was. What pisses me is when I ring for a stop and then the B/O asks if anyone is getting off? I rang the bell for a reason, because I want the stop, so why are you asking for?? I sit all the way in the back so then they expect you to yell out that you're getting off when you rang the bell. So stupid. The other stupid thing some of them do is they're still picking up passengers but they turn out all of the lights, so the damn bus is pitch black when you're boarding. Real airheads some of these drivers.

That first part i hatee the most!

I would pull the cord...and they feel that if there isnt anyone standing by the door when they arrive at the stop...that they can just keep going...

Another is when you pull the cord...and when they pull into the stop, they just open the front door and leave the back door closed...then you have yell "back door" 5-10 secs later.

lol... Sounds like he didn't know what the actual stop was.  What pisses me is when I ring for a stop and then the B/O asks if anyone is getting off? I rang the bell for a reason, because I want the stop, so why are you asking for?? I sit all the way in the back so then they expect you to yell out that you're getting off when you rang the bell.  So stupid.  The other stupid thing some of them do is they're still picking up passengers but they turn out all of the lights, so the damn bus is pitch black when you're boarding.  Real airheads some of these drivers.

Drivers like that need the Big Brother treatment, because they're practically getting away with murder here.

I would pull the cord...and they feel that if there isnt anyone standing by the door when they arrive at the stop...that they can just keep going...

Another is when you pull the cord...and when they pull into the stop, they just open the front door and leave the back door closed...then you have yell "back door" 5-10 secs later.

The thing with the express buses is particularly with the Riverdale buses out of Yonkers, they don't like people getting up before the bus has pulled into the stop, so what exactly am I supposed to do, run to the front while the bus is in motion?  Can't make up their damn mind.

Drivers like that need the Big Brother treatment, because they're practically getting away with murder here.

Oh beyond. Some drivers are really good, but there are so many @ssholes that the few good ones get the short end of the stick.  These next few months with this new driver are going to be torture.

That happens on every MabSTOA/NYCTA/MTA Bus local route, and it sucks...

On the flip side a few times people rang the bell and no one gets off the stop. That pisses me off because it's a wasted stop and then someone runs for the bus at the last second and further holds up the bus.

Hey,

I guess I'm the wrong person to ask, because the B35 LTD around here is pretty much a local....

If I was in that situation on the Merrick Blvd LTD's & some b/o would've gave me the so-called evil eye, I would have simply said:

"Isn't this the limited".....

On more than 1 occasion in the morning (on my way to the BM1), the opposite has happened on the SB B46 in my area... A driver doing the local like they're doing the LTD....  I have had a b/o go straight fron church to Av D on two separate occasions, and from Av D to Av H on one occasion..... Suits me just fine b/c I have to get off at flatlands....  These aren't necessarily crushloaded buses either; matter fact, one of the buses that went from church to 'D was right behind a LTD & only had about 10 ppl. on it.... There were about that many ppl. on snyder waiting to get on the bus, and the driver just whizzed past them.... I shook my head & said to myself "good thing I walked over to church today"......

On the flip side a few times people rang the bell and no one gets off the stop. That pisses me off because it's a wasted stop and then someone runs for the bus at the last second and further holds up the bus.

Yeah, how about the jackass that falls asleep on the bell & approaching every stop, you hear ding... driver makes the stop....

ding... driver makes the stop...

ding.... driver makes the stop....

Or the adult(s) with bad ass kids that let the kids press the bell/pull the cord at every stop.....

Now either of those scenario's drives me nuts.... I have gotten off of buses earlier than I would have liked to, due to that crap.....

On the S44 that I caught this evening en route to the ferry, the B/O confronted everyone that didn't pay the full fare. Some passengers were dumbfounded by that. I'm really glad she did her job of enforcing the fare. I really hope more B/Os start doing what she did.

On the S44 that I caught this evening en route to the ferry, the B/O confronted everyone that didn't pay the full fare. Some passengers were dumbfounded by that. I'm really glad she did her job of enforcing the fare. I really hope more B/Os start doing what she did.

The thing is, they can't. If they get too confrontational supervisors and management will not be happy. The most they should be doing is calmly stating the fare as $2.50 and hitting F4. If the police are dispatched to meet the bus due to the F4 call they'll take care of if. Speaking of that, I've been hearing stories about MTAPD and the MTA Bridge & Tunnel cops responding to F4 calls lately, especially in Queens near railroad/B&T property instead of the local NYPD precinct. Guess NYPD is failing to do their job and work with the TA on these issues as usual...

I guess I'm the wrong person to ask, because the B35 LTD around here is pretty much a local....

If I was in that situation on the Merrick Blvd LTD's & some b/o would've gave me the so-called evil eye, I would have simply said:

On more than 1 occasion in the morning (on my way to the BM1), the opposite has happened on the SB B46 in my area... A driver doing the local like they're doing the LTD....  I have had a b/o go straight fron church to Av D on two separate occasions, and from Av D to Av H on one occasion..... Suits me just fine b/c I have to get off at flatlands....  These aren't necessarily crushloaded buses either; matter fact, one of the buses that went from church to 'D was right behind a LTD & only had about 10 ppl. on it.... There were about that many ppl. on snyder waiting to get on the bus, and the driver just whizzed past them.... I shook my head & said to myself "good thing I walked over to church today"......

It's funny how these events happen mostly on NYCTA routes. With a story like that, I feel more justified walking 2 more blocks to a limited stop in the morning rather than waiting at the local stop along my street.

The thing is, they can't. If they get too confrontational supervisors and management will not be happy. The most they should be doing is calmly stating the fare as $2.50 and hitting F4. If the police are dispatched to meet the bus due to the F4 call they'll take care of if. Speaking of that, I've been hearing stories about MTAPD and the MTA Bridge & Tunnel cops responding to F4 calls lately, especially in Queens near railroad/B&T property instead of the local NYPD precinct. Guess NYPD is failing to do their job and work with the TA on these issues as usual...

Right, you have a strong point, but she didn't yell or scream in anyone's face or anything like that. She did state that the fare was $2.50 though. The reason why was because many people put in very little change and either asked for a transfer or just walked by.

I mean, it's one thing if one person does it, but when several passengers do that in a row like the trip I was on, I could slighty understand why the B/O would be annoyed, but you're right that it could have been said more professional. Plus, I wasn't going to tell her how to do her job.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Well that's a local bus not an express bus problem.  Completely different set up.  Most folks on the express bus know what stop they want because it's usually regulars and if they have issues moving quickly they tend to sit towards the front so they don't take a thousand years to get off.  I do agree that it is very annoying on the local bus.  You have some idiotic passengers too who will wait until the very last minute to get up. If the bus is crowded and you need the stop, move lively BEFOREHAND so you can get off in a timely fashion! Unfortunately a lot of people are poor in thinking ahead.  <_<

LOL... You would think these drivers would be wise about doing sh*t like that.  I think with Bus Time they have a way of verifying where the bus is and at what time.  In other words if I write in and say that said bus was at said stop and said time they can go back and check and verify that.  I don't know how detailed it is but when buses have been early and I've missed them and saw their location on Bus Time, they are pretty much busted red handed, so none of that he said she said BS.  Bus Time can't come fast enough to Brooklyn because the drivers in Brooklyn just do whatever they so please.

Right, you have a strong point, but she didn't yell or scream in anyone's face or anything like that. She did state that the fare was $2.50 though. The reason why was because many people put in very little change and either asked for a transfer or just walked by.

I mean, it's one thing if one person does it, but when several passengers do that in a row like the trip I was on, I could slighty understand why the B/O would be annoyed, but you're right that it could have been said more professional.

lol... She'd better get used to it because on Staten Island local buses that's the norm, particularly on the North Shore buses.  Disgusting too... People just walk on because they don't think they'll be challenged.  They did a few stings on Staten Island and now it's back to the usual BS.

Well, those eagle teams in SI are pulling off tons of farebeaters every day, so hopefully that will make a difference by making people realize that they have to pay the fare, no excuses.

Damn, that's something I wanted to see since I seen these kids get yanked off of an S48 way back when they started. Good to see them getting at the fare beaters.

And they're still doing it!??! Jesus Christ.  These people are just idiots.

Damn, that's something I wanted to see since I seen these kids get yanked off of an S48 way back when they started. Good to see them getting at the fare beaters.

The eagle teams usually hang near the St. George Terminal during rush hours. But yeah, you would think that them seeing people being pulled off would be a wake-up call to them and use better judgement, but I guess they want to learn the hard way.