BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Is the MTA gonna hold an O5 CNG into a museum bus or system reserve bus?

Also I think the O5 CNGs should stay a little more for the (G) Shuttle because its gonna be every weekend from July to some time in Winter. I think they should put the O5 CNGs on the (G) for the Summer.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the MTA gonna hold an O5 CNG into a museum bus or system reserve bus?

Also I think the O5 CNGs should stay a little more for the (G) Shuttle because its gonna be every weekend from July to some time in Winter. I think they should put the O5 CNGs on the (G) for the Summer.

That's what I thought also. Same with the 1998-2000 New Flyer C40LFs.

Well, I managed to ride the Bx55 for one last time... from the park over there by 157th/3rd to gun hill rd... Bus was pretty crowded for the duration of the ride.... As usual, the bus basically emptied out at fordham plaza (there was 3 ppl incl. myself that was left on the bus, and another 4 ppl. got on, so 7 ppl were on by time we left fordham plz.... When we got to gun hill rd, I'd way there were about 20-25 ppl. that got off (obviously, most of those folks got on north of fordham rd).....

side note(s): Didn't know they ran artics on the Q10... Thought about taking the 10 to JFK, but I saw the Q37 from a distance & decided to take it instead (much less crowded).... smh & me & 3 other ppl. on the 37 past the aqueduct (this includes the straggler that got on inside the aqueduct)....

.....before that though, on the Q44 I took, I ended up seeing a former HS classmate (with his wife & 4 kids), which was cool.... The chat we had was a good way (for me) to pass time; most of this ride I don't even remember to be honest - aside from this nurse/pseudo-nurse that was sitting in front of me that I was checkin out.... good lookin in the face, but once I saw those hands, I was like f*** nah, this b**** old....

My fantrip went (3) [yeah, I walked to utica av IRT, got some white castles] > (5) > [walk from 149th/GC to 157th/3rd] > Bx55 > Bx39 > Q44 > [walk from QB/Main st to union tpke/kew gdns. rd] > Q37 > [walk from 130th/135th av to the JFK/Hilton] > Q40 full route > short walk to the Q113 LTD > Q22 > Q35 > B46

smh @ the level of ratchetry I saw along that ride on the 40 though..... makes my area seem like a paradise (which it definitely is not).....

I still like fanning that route though.... always did.

B84 schedules are up now

Yeah, saw it about 2 days ago. I found out on Wednesday about the B84, on a B62 bus. It's like the MTA wants them to fail, same thing with the Bx46.

Well, I managed to ride the Bx55 for one last time... from the park over there by 157th/3rd to gun hill rd... Bus was pretty crowded for the duration of the ride.... As usual, the bus basically emptied out at fordham plaza (there was 3 ppl incl. myself that was left on the bus, and another 4 ppl. got on, so 7 ppl were on by time we left fordham plz.... When we got to gun hill rd, I'd way there were about 20-25 ppl. that got off (obviously, most of those folks got on north of fordham rd).....

side note(s): Didn't know they ran artics on the Q10... Thought about taking the 10 to JFK, but I saw the Q37 from a distance & decided to take it instead (much less crowded).... smh & me & 3 other ppl. on the 37 past the aqueduct (this includes the straggler that got on inside the aqueduct)....

.....before that though, on the Q44 I took, I ended up seeing a former HS classmate (with his wife & 4 kids), which was cool.... The chat we had was a good way (for me) to pass time; most of this ride I don't even remember to be honest - aside from this nurse/pseudo-nurse that was sitting in front of me that I was checkin out.... good lookin in the face, but once I saw those hands, I was like f*** nah, this b**** old....

My fantrip went (3) [yeah, I walked to utica av IRT, got some white castles] > (5) > [walk from 149th/GC to 157th/3rd] > Bx55 > Bx39 > Q44 > [walk from QB/Main st to union tpke/kew gdns. rd] > Q37 > [walk from 130th/135th av to the JFK/Hilton] > Q40 full route > short walk to the Q113 LTD > Q22 > Q35 > B46

smh @ the level of ratchetry I saw along that ride on the 40 though..... makes my area seem like a paradise (which it definitely is not).....

I still like fanning that route though.... always did.

For some reason my favorite route to fan is the BM5.... Maybe it's just that VG8 vibe thats getting to me.....

For some reason my favorite route to fan is the BM5.... Maybe it's just that VG8 vibe thats getting to me.....

for the "via woodhaven" expresses, I'll just stick to my QM16 as being my fav :D

speaking of said expresses, when I was on the Q22, I saw 2 QM17's right behind each each other (which is odd, being that they normally run few & far between, like the QM16) ... don't remember what exact stop it was at, but it was somewhere in Arverne (where I also happened to see quite a bit of 52's going in both directions; prolly about 5-6 of em in such a short duration).....

for the "via woodhaven" expresses, I'll just stick to my QM16 as being my fav :D

speaking of said expresses, when I was on the Q22, I saw 2 QM17's right behind each each other (which is odd, being that they normally run few & far between, like the QM16) ... don't remember what exact stop it was at, but it was somewhere in Arverne (where I also happened to see quite a bit of 52's going in both directions; prolly about 5-6 of em in such a short duration).....

That's one route I gotta try.

And I lol'd at your story a few posts up. Made my night.

Well, probably yes, because I knew about the Bx46 like 4 days before it started, and this one. That doesn't give enough time for people to know. And look at the Q52, they mentioned that route less then a week before it started.

Yes, I remember that day. Questions like, Do you stop at (street name)? Where do you go? It's been mentioned already all these new routes sans the Q70 could use extensions and adjustments.

Yes, I remember that day. Questions like, Do you stop at (street name)? Where do you go? It's been mentioned already all these new routes sans the Q70 could use extensions and adjustments.

The Bx46 I'd wait on for now, if ridership is there, I'd leave it as it is (might take some more months). The B84 too. I'll just wait and see how ridership improves on both routes.

The Q52 is on of those recent successful routes. The Q70 it can go both ways I'm not really sure how its going to work out. I'm pretty sure all those airport ridership did not get off a the train to go there. BX46 is really in trouble unless its extended somewhere even if its a feeder of another crowded line. The Bx6 will still continue to serve those riders going to the subway. I can be on the (2)(5)(6) trains much faster from the Bx6 then the bx46 due to the Bx46 having 20-30 minute headways. The B84 may work out but it may duplicate other routes like the B13,Q8, B6

The B32 will obviously copy the B62 but it may get some service but only time will tell.

That's one route I gotta try. (QM16)

And I lol'd at your story a few posts up. Made my night.

Lol.... yeh, I don't do the trip reports like I used to, but good that you still managed to get a few chuckles out of my mini report there....

As for the QM16, I get why they did it, but I still think it's wasteful to have buses running to the Riis parking lot....

I miss when it used to stop dead @ B. 147th..... Since they got rid of that Q35 stop on the corner of B 147th/rockaway bch blvd, I just take it (the QM16) to B 116th & walk to the Q35......

Do you feel the same way about the upcoming B32 and M12?

Speaking of the M12, I haven't heard about that route as of late, at all.....

The Bx46 I'd wait on for now, if ridership is there, I'd leave it as it is (might take some more months). The B84 too. I'll just wait and see how ridership improves on both routes.

Utilizing the route a couple times now, I see no hope for the Bx46 as it is...

The B84 I think will be noticably better off than the Bx46, simply due to the fact that it actually serves a lot of residences b/w the (3) & the mall.... for as short a time the Bx46 has been in service, I think the 84 will garner much more riders in that same span... In laymen's, the B84 has a better upside than the Bx46....

Utilizing the route a couple times now, I see no hope for the Bx46 as it is...

I never rode that route, and I could tell how poor the Bx46 has performed just by the pictures and videos. These buses just look empty.

If you were in charge of revising the Bx46, how would you do it? For me, I'd make the bus service more frequent to start.

That's one route [QM16] I gotta try.

I never used the QM16, but I took the Manhattan-bound QM15. It was rather interesting seeing that bus maneuver in the Woodhaven Boulevard traffic onto the freeway.

But one Manhattan-bound from Queens scene never gets old: the Manhattan skyline either at sunset or at night.

Edited by RTS CNG Command

I never rode that route, and I could tell how poor the Bx46 has performed just by the pictures and videos. These buses just look empty.

If you were in charge of revising the Bx46, how would you do it? For me, I'd make the bus service more frequent to start.

That and extend to Yankee Stadium. Take some crowds away from the 6.

It won't take much away from the Bx6 since the Bx6 also goes into Manhattan.

Do you think it's possible for the Bx46's north terminal to be revised? Like, instead of Westchester Avenue, maybe the (6) Hunts Point Avenue Station instead?

Here's the picture of reference (the old Barretto shuttle):

Barretto_Pool_Map_2009-1.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think more service (for the current route) will matter....

If I had to revise the 46, I would have it do this....

So I took the B57 to Red Hook today for the first time, I was meaning to do it for a while. So I waited at the 1st stop at Court St, at Schmerhorn  St. The B57 is supposed to arrive every 14, 34, and 54 minutes after the hour. I get here around 1:58, decide to chill in Barnes and Nobles because I've seemingly missed the bus. I see two people sitting at the bench at the stop (there's a new bench at that stop) eating but I have no idea if they were waiting for the bus.

I came back out around 2:12 or so, a B57 finally showed up at 2:25. Those two people at the bench as it turns out was waiting for the B57. They were considering walking down to the B61 but stuck it up. The two people were a mother and child, the mother says that they missed a 57 and have been waiting for one hour, which, scarily, I can see being somewhat plausible. She wanted to report the bus operator. I considered telling her that it's not the B/O's fault but I neglected to; I could definitely understand her frustration. Somebody on the bus confirmed that the delay was due to traffic shenanigans on Flushing Av; something about firetrucks. She mentioned how the bus could have a taken a re-route, but it just reminded me of a thread of here about how some B/Os won't change routes in the face of delays, for reasons like to avoid scrutiny if something bad happens when they go off-route. When I got on the B57, there were ~25 people on the bus, a lot more than I was expecting (Just seeing the B57 on Court, it's never really that patronized, but I guess Red Hook service is bringing in ridership, and part of that can be chalked up to the delay.) I didn't really know that there are projects in eastern Red Hook/Gowanus area, having previously only seen the industrial/gentrifying western half of Red Hook on the B61.

Speaking of, I took the B61 back downtown, I unknowingly just missed a bus at IKEA; a new B61 showed up quickly and everyone on the bus got off except for 1 person. That 1 other person besides me got off on Van Dyke St and Richards St, and I was the only person on the bus until Columbia and Carroll St, when 1 other person, the only other person for the rest of the ride, got on. I did find out we were tailing another B61, and we caught up to it with little trouble, but as usual, the B/O tried his hardest not to pass that 61 in front of us. He stalled a bit along the route, and even then we caught back up to the 61 in front. By the time we got to Fulton Mall, the 61 in front of us was just leaving to go on a new trip to Park Slope, I guess it was late.

I was kinda worried that the B57's length and traffic on Flushing Av would hurt reliability despite the new ridership. It's gonna be hard for it to compete with the B61 but as long as it relieves the 61 somewhat and carves out its own niche I guess it's ok. Something really has to be done about the reliability of the route. (I know delays on the 57 aren't always this bad, but they're definitely there.)

I'm kind of interested in how the B84 will perform, I'm tempted to ride it tomorrow (as opposed to that joke of a Bx41 SBS). I took my "last rides" on the Bx55 a week or two ago, for whatever reason. 

@B35: I notice you didn't mention your idea to have some Bx6/Bx46 buses serve 168th St. Is this because you don't really see the MTA doing such a re-structuring? 

@B35: I notice you didn't mention your idea to have some Bx6/Bx46 buses serve 168th St. Is this because you don't really see the MTA doing such a re-structuring? 

I don't see the MTA doing most of what we on the forums (sensically) suggest happen w/ bus service, but that's a whole 'nother topic.....

The Bx6/M2 terminal swap idea came well before talks of the Bx46 on this forum..... I didn't mention it in this particular side discussion b/c the focal point was regarding what to do w/ the Bx46.... I haven't abandoned that Bx6 suggestion you're referring to ;)....

Hell, now that the Bx46 has come to fruition, I would support the M2 & the Bx46 (current headways) ending up there along riverside drive & Bx6's ending up at 168th, even more.....

So I took the B57 to Red Hook today for the first time, I was meaning to do it for a while. So I waited at the 1st stop at Court St, at Schmerhorn  St. The B57 is supposed to arrive every 14, 34, and 54 minutes after the hour. I get here around 1:58, decide to chill in Barnes and Nobles because I've seemingly missed the bus. I see two people sitting at the bench at the stop (there's a new bench at that stop) eating but I have no idea if they were waiting for the bus.

I came back out around 2:12 or so, a B57 finally showed up at 2:25. Those two people at the bench as it turns out was waiting for the B57. They were considering walking down to the B61 but stuck it up. The two people were a mother and child, the mother says that they missed a 57 and have been waiting for one hour, which, scarily, I can see being somewhat plausible. She wanted to report the bus operator. I considered telling her that it's not the B/O's fault but I neglected to; I could definitely understand her frustration. Somebody on the bus confirmed that the delay was due to traffic shenanigans on Flushing Av; something about firetrucks. She mentioned how the bus could have a taken a re-route, but it just reminded me of a thread of here about how some B/Os won't change routes in the face of delays, for reasons like to avoid scrutiny if something bad happens when they go off-route. When I got on the B57, there were ~25 people on the bus, a lot more than I was expecting (Just seeing the B57 on Court, it's never really that patronized, but I guess Red Hook service is bringing in ridership, and part of that can be chalked up to the delay.) I didn't really know that there are projects in eastern Red Hook/Gowanus area, having previously only seen the industrial/gentrifying western half of Red Hook on the B61.

Speaking of, I took the B61 back downtown, I unknowingly just missed a bus at IKEA; a new B61 showed up quickly and everyone on the bus got off except for 1 person. That 1 other person besides me got off on Van Dyke St and Richards St, and I was the only person on the bus until Columbia and Carroll St, when 1 other person, the only other person for the rest of the ride, got on. I did find out we were tailing another B61, and we caught up to it with little trouble, but as usual, the B/O tried his hardest not to pass that 61 in front of us. He stalled a bit along the route, and even then we caught back up to the 61 in front. By the time we got to Fulton Mall, the 61 in front of us was just leaving to go on a new trip to Park Slope, I guess it was late.

I was kinda worried that the B57's length and traffic on Flushing Av would hurt reliability despite the new ridership. It's gonna be hard for it to compete with the B61 but as long as it relieves the 61 somewhat and carves out its own niche I guess it's ok. Something really has to be done about the reliability of the route. (I know delays on the 57 aren't always this bad, but they're definitely there.)

I'm kind of interested in how the B84 will perform, I'm tempted to ride it tomorrow (as opposed to that joke of a Bx41 SBS).

I took my "last rides" on the Bx55 a week or two ago, for whatever reason.

I've been telling ppl. about increasing traffic along Flushing av.... Hour long delays are definitely uncommon, but the MTA still should have never extended that route (57) over the old B75 portion (smith/court)..... During the weekday, the delays are even worse b/c there's more traffic (and double parking) on smith/court during the weekday, compared to the weekend.... the flushing av traffic, that's 7 days a week & is going nowhere, unfortunately.... This has to do w/ ppl. utilizing it as *backup* to the BQE (which again, is another issue).....

To your point about the 57 competing w/ the 61...... IMO, the MTA really doesn't need the 57 going to IKEA.... Instead of boosting headways on the B61, they're trying to sift some of that ridership that would normally be on 61's (heading to/from downtown) to 57's, and there's no real benefit to doing that, time-wise.... I would go as far as to argue that you'd get downtown faster (from IKEA) taking the 61, over taking the 57 (at least during the weekday rush & midday hours).... late nights/early mornin hours though, the 57 is a breeze b/c court/smith around those times is as empty as empty can get....

As I said a couple posts ago, I think the B84 has a greater upside over the Bx46, but I still think in the longrun that it (84) won't remain as a standalone route..... As for the Bx41 SBS, I don't blame you.... I have no interest in fanning the inaugural trip(s) either.....

I definitely plan on being out there the first day of the B44 SBS, partly because of geographic convenience but also to see all the chaos  :)

I don't think it'll beat the chaos that ensued in Chinatown when the M15 SBS debuted :lol:

I definitely plan on being out there the first day of the B44 SBS, partly because of geographic convenience but also to see all the chaos :)

Actually there will be little chaos..seems the people on that line know whats going on..

About the Bx41 i see there being a lot of chaos over there mainly..but i feel the B44 might run smoothly