2 questions

Abba

1.How long was the longest time you've experienced drivers changing turns at a changing point.(i.e 5th ave and 39th st for the B35).

2.Have you ever said "Thank you" to the bus driver or have you seen anyone else doing in when exiting from the rear door?

I know there is supposedly no such thing as a stupid question, but these come pretty close... I mean who actually would spend their time paying attention to such nonsense? Anyway, to answer your questions...

As far as I'm concerned anytime is too long to wait between changing B/Os. I haven't experienced it in years. The closest I've come to it is in the following scenario. There is a B/O on the X14 that jumps off of the bus at random stops along the way to kill time and it drives me nuts, but at the same time I do find it a bit funny because of how he does it. He just stops the bus and runs off as if some sort of catastrophe has happened and everyone on the bus looks around all confused. If he's that early, he'd be better off coming a few minutes after seeing that he's the last bus, this way he doesn't have to keep trying to find ways to kill the time and I don't have to run out of my office to get across the street to catch him.

For #2, no. I don't like having to yell unless I'm irritated at someone so, yeah, no. My voice is deep enough so yelling can be annoying unless I'm pissed and then I could care less who hears what at that point. The few times that I'm the local bus, if the B/O says "Good night" I'll thank him and wish him the same to be respectful and such.

I know there is supposedly no such thing as a stupid question, but these come pretty close... I mean who actually would spend their time paying attention to such nonsense? Anyway, to answer your questions...

As far as I'm concerned anytime is too long to wait between changing B/Os. I haven't experienced it in years. The closest I've come to it is in the following scenario. There is a B/O on the X14 that jumps off of the bus at random stops along the way to kill time and it drives me nuts, but at the same time I do find it a bit funny because of how he does it. He just stops the bus and runs off as if some sort of catastrophe has happened and everyone on the bus looks around all confused. If he's that early, he'd be better off coming a few minutes after seeing that he's the last bus, this way he doesn't have to keep trying to find ways to kill the time and I don't have to run out of my office to get across the street to catch him.

For #2, no. I don't like having to yell unless I'm irritated at someone so, yeah, no. My voice is deep enough so yelling can be annoying unless I'm pissed and then I could care less who hears what at that point. The few times that I'm the local bus, if the B/O says "Good night" I'll thank him and wish him the same to be respectful and such.

I don't see what's so stupid about them.Sometimes i'm going to an appointment and the 5 min that the bus drivers chat can make me late to an appointment.

And about the "Thankyou".Maybe your right about that.But i was curious about that.Sometimes I want to exit through the front so I can say "Thank you".

1.How long was the longest time you've experienced drivers changing turns at a changing point.(i.e 5th ave and 39th st for the B35).

2.Have you ever said "Thank you" to the bus driver or have you seen anyone else doing in when exiting from the rear door?

I can definitely answer #1 for ya.... co-incidentally, it was at 39th & 5th on the B35 !

We sat there for a whopping 28 minutes... and almost everyone on the bus was yelling (some cursing) @ both b/o's.... the b/o that took over operation of the bus, put up w/ the yellin & screamin until it pretty much ceased when we got to 9th av (til we got to the subway station)....

My reaction, I just kept sighing & smh while doin some puzzles (word find)... plus I had some BK on my lap, so it gave me extra time to eat....

even the initial b/o got impatient after the first 15 mins.... b/c people were shouting at him, like, move the f'n bus already....

getting off & takin another bus wadn't really an option, since this was around 10pm on a saturday night....

----

question #2...

to be honest, I only say thanks to express bus drivers here in NYC....

not that the local drivers don't deserve a thanks (they deserve far more than that) :cool:....

....but I get the sense that since they have to put up w/ the extra BS, I don't say anything to them.... that, and I find that local b/o have this sense of edginess/defensiveness about them, so I figure I'll be one less thorn in their side by not sayin anything....

The only people I see sayin thanks to b/o's like that, while exiting from the back door, are those who chatted w/ the b/o before they decided to take a seat towards the back.... or elderly people that sit near the back....

lol @ the x14 story...

At least you've experienced it, which I'd say is very rare....

...because I've NEVER been on an express bus where a changing of the driver occurred somewhere in the middle of the route.... I doubt there are relief points on express routes.... anyone can correct me if I'm wrong....

----

Guess I'll try to spark some activity in this thread....

Outside of 39th/5th on the B35....

Can anyone name anymore common relief points (that aren't terminals of a particular route) in our system....

lol @ the x14 story...

...because I've NEVER been on an express bus where a changing of the driver occurred somewhere in the middle of the route.... I doubt there are relief points on express routes.... anyone can correct me if I'm wrong....

----

Can anyone name anymore common relief points (that aren't terminals of a particular route) in our system....

Now that I think of it, it happens more than I realize. It happens a lot along Hylan Blvd. The dispatcher will hold the bus for a few minutes. One time a B/O on the X1 ran off to take a wiz I guess and everyone was like "great" and got off to get breakfast and such while he took care of business. lol

23rd & Broadway was a "break point" for express B/Os. The dispatcher would hold X17Cs, X12s and X10s in particular.

lol @ the x14 story...

----

I would say basically every stop that is near a depot.

I've seen drivers relieve each other at Castleton Avenue/Jewett Avenue on the S53 several times (and once or twice on the S46/S96)

I remember once, the driver on the S59 was told to have everybody get off the bus that they were on and take a new bus from the Yukon Depot.

As far as drivers coming early and then trying to kill time, that always pisses me off when it happens to me (which isn't that often, but still). The passengers would be better off having the bus come later and speeding up, since it can capture more riders that way.

lol @ the x14 story...

----

(B20): Bway and Jamaica Ave(ENY Depot)

(B41): Avenue P and Flatbush

(B44): Avenue H and Nostrand Av(Junction)

(B46): Fillmore and Utica Ave(Flatbush depot)

(B82): Rockaway Pkway Sta

A couple of those spots are part time terminals...............

Now that I think of it, it happens more than I realize. It happens a lot along Hylan Blvd. The dispatcher will hold the bus for a few minutes. One time a B/O on the X1 ran off to take a wiz I guess and everyone was like "great" and got off to get breakfast and such while he took care of business. lol

23rd & Broadway was an "break point" for express B/Os. The dispatcher would hold X17Cs, X12s and X10s in particular.

Something about gettin off the bus (or commuter rail) for that, or a similar purpose, I feel uneasy about...

I take it as, what if this driver gets impatient & drives the hell off... he's/she's not obligated to wait while I go grab a bite to eat.... some drivers may not even remember that you were a paying passenger already on the bus beforehand.... then you end up lookin like boo boo the foo' in that situation, while you're there staring @ the bus as it drives off....

Anyway, looks like you're talkin about checkpoints... wasn't really referring to that...

But yeh, that stop on 23rd/Broadway is also a checkpoint for the ulmer park expresses (well, may as well say just the x27 & 28, since the 29/37/38 are gone)

I would say basically every stop that is near a depot.

I've seen drivers relieve each other at Castleton Avenue/Jewett Avenue on the S53 several times (and once or twice on the S46/S96)

I remember once, the driver on the S59 was told to have everybody get off the bus that they were on and take a new bus from the Yukon Depot.

As far as drivers coming early and then trying to kill time, that always pisses me off when it happens to me (which isn't that often, but still). The passengers would be better off having the bus come later and speeding up, since it can capture more riders that way.

Bold #1: Good point.

Bold #2: Well, drivers arriving early @ terminals is frowned upon by the dispatchers, so much so that drivers may get written up for it.... It's better to be late than early, if that's the case...

for me, as far as getting irked, it depends how the driver's tryna kill time.... I'd rather a driver stall the bus at a particular stop for 5 minutes.... than a driver stopping at successive stops, opening the doors & closing them, as if a passenger's getting on/off - that to me is the most annoying of 'em all..... it also irks me a bit when drivers actually try to catch red's after pulling out of a bus stop; when that happens & I chuckle to myself while smirking, like, yeah I see what he/she's tryna do....

Not to say that they should floor it at busy intersections during the trans (which is dangerous as a driving practice), but if you're keen enough, you can tell when drivers are purposefully trying to catch red lights....

looks like you're talkin about checkpoints... wasn't really referring to that...

that stop on 23rd/Broadway is also a checkpoint for the ulmer park expresses (well, may as well say just the x27 & 28, since the 29/37/38 are gone)

Bold #2: Well, drivers arriving early @ terminals is frowned upon by the dispatchers, so much so that drivers may get written up for it.... It's better to be late than early, if that's the case...

for me, as far as getting irked, it depends how the driver's tryna kill time.... I'd rather a driver stall the bus at a particular stop for 5 minutes.... than a driver stopping at successive stops, opening the doors & closing them, as if a passenger's getting on/off - that to me is the most annoying of 'em all..... it also irks me a bit when drivers actually try to catch red's after pulling out of a bus stop; when that happens & I chuckle to myself while smirking, like, yeah I see what he/she's tryna do....

Not to say that they should floor it at busy intersections during the trans (which is dangerous as a driving practice), but if you're keen enough, you can tell when drivers are purposefully trying to catch red lights....

Express buses don't really have "relief points" so that's the closest you're going to get to them... B)

As far as dispatchers frowing upon B/Os that's not the case on Staten Island esp. for the express buses. Sometimes they will hold them if they come early and sometimes they will actually let them go.

I think it's more so true esp. in Manhattan on the lines out of Manhattanville. Boy those B/Os rarely ever come early and if they do it's only by a minute if that. Clearly the folks on those lines b*tch a lot about it and also esp. on the Madison Ave. lines, those buses are scheduled to run in a way so that the locals keep moving while the limited stop bus picks up the main slack, but they all move along quickly. I used to wait for the (M2), but now I don't even bother because for many parts of the day outside of rush hour the locals can out do the limited from Union Square to 42nd st.

(B20): Bway and Jamaica Ave(ENY Depot)

(B41): Avenue P and Flatbush

(B44): Avenue H and Nostrand Av(Junction)

(B46): Fillmore and Utica Ave(Flatbush depot)

(B82): Rockaway Pkway Sta

A couple of those spots are part time terminals...............

Also, from Brooklyn

(B49) Ave U/Ocean Av

(B36) Coney Island

Also the longest wait time ever for driver relief was in Manhattan on the (M5) Limited at 135th and Broadway, 35 minutes. The relief driver was on the bus in 10 minutes, after talking with another driver, or dispatcher. The other 25 minutes was the driver eating his food. Everyone else's face on the bus was either :confused: or B). I wasn't used to this route (never been on the (M5)), however this was my face :mad:. I didn't say nothing cause idk how the driver would react.

@ Question 2: I always say thank you when I exit via the front door. If I exit thru the rear door and I walk up past the bus, Ill wave to the driver, or if the doors open I'll say Thank You.

A few times I havent said thank you (ex: Bus driver goes past my stop, or is just irrevantly rude).

Something about gettin off the bus (or commuter rail) for that, or a similar purpose, I feel uneasy about...

I take it as, what if this driver gets impatient & drives the hell off... he's/she's not obligated to wait while I go grab a bite to eat.... some drivers may not even remember that you were a paying passenger already on the bus beforehand.... then you end up lookin like boo boo the foo' in that situation, while you're there staring @ the bus as it drives off....

Anyway, looks like you're talkin about checkpoints... wasn't really referring to that...

But yeh, that stop on 23rd/Broadway is also a checkpoint for the ulmer park expresses (well, may as well say just the x27 & 28, since the 29/37/38 are gone)

True, but if a run is that empty, and the bus driver regularly drives that particular run, they should take that into account when leaving their starting point.

Let's say you have Bus 1 and Bus 2, with Bus 1 being scheduled, say 5 minutes ahead of Bus 2.

However, if Bus 2 passes Bus 1 at a certain stop, but then pauses for 5 minutes, that is unfair to the people on that bus to have Bus 1 pass them even though it came after them.

Well, my Q65 sat for 10 minutes at Jewel Av on Saturday with the engine off and the driver waiting, probably because it was running early.

So much for choosing the light traffic street over the Q44...

Longest wait to swap B/Os that I know of 15 minutes. This one B/O would pre trip check the entire bus before taking it from this other particular B/O. I asked him once about it and the relieving B/O said that the other guy was nasty leaving food, coffee cups, etc and would never road call a bus unless it completely died so he wasn't going to get screwed by having to clean up, then road call a bus.

As for the thank you from rear door- mostly night time passengers do that, very rare daytime or evening unless the B/O called out the stop or made a point of calling out to the passenger to remind them it was their stop.

Archived