Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Just trying to provide good advice when I can.

All the best!

Hey Sim, Acela, Loco or anyone familiar with Day 10 test. On day 9 they got me on a red at Madison Ave which wasn't even yellow wheni turned then stopped in intersection for pedestrians. When the super looked up, he saw red and I was done. Do u know what I can expect on the day 10 road test at zerega? I heard there is a pivot turn but what else can u tell me.. I will be stopping at all don't walk flashing boxes for sure. My turns were fine as well.

Thanks to all

I'm sorry to hear that, FDBGuy.

I'm sure they told you in orientation that you don't want to enter day 10 qualification. Why? They make it 10x harder, and you have two superintendents onboard with everyone else on your bus who didn't make it on day 7 and 9.

Your day 10 qualification will be done in Castle Hill, Bronx, where Zerega is located.

As you've already noticed, the area is quite residential with a few industrial buildings. Don't let the area fool you as you will be tested to the max, and believe or not, people do pass on day 10. It takes dedication and following through with the fundamentals you were taught days 1-6.

If you were already in the intersection trying to make the turn, and pedestrians were in the crosswalk, I'm wondering why he didn't waive it instead of sending you to day 10? It's not as if you deliberately ran the light; the pedestrians were holding you up. I had that issue on day 5 in Manhattan making the right onto 96th from Lexington-- my light turned red, but was already in the intersection with pedestrians not giving a fucC, but also had to deal with the 96th traffic coming my way making the turn even tougher.

Anyway, day 10- there's no room for error as they will be watching every move. Take your time and follow through for tomorrow. Also, when exiting Zerega, if you're making a right, there's white lines that resemble a curb -- DO NOT go over it; treat the turn as if it were a regular curb and pivot your bus accordingly.

What Acela posted is true, one guy who went to day 10 posted this a couple of years ago.

He was from a MTA Bus list, but that is irrelevant.

"I went last, did the entire course perfectly and at the end a truck

cut me off and pulled into park on my left side..I stopped and squeezed around him and

made my turn."

"He failed because he said I didnt use my horn and that was a dangerous action I was

too close to the truck even though I didnt hit him or was

Trollied braked. I wanted to kick his ass, he said dont worry Ill pass on day 10."

"Day 10 was on a monday so you have to shake off 2 days of dust and bust out

some tight pivot point turns."

"its not impossible but its difficult."

"Out of 5 people that took it with me on my bus no one passed."

"I felt like a loser but maybe the train operator might be more my speed...

I dont know but maybe working for MTA BUS wasnt for me."

"I am still on the oa and have a low list number for 8006.

I dont know what advice to give to help others on going through because

I swore I was a sure thing but hey."

Fred, for what it's worth I have read on here people passing on day 10.

Ditja, who is a B/O out of Flatbush posted on here once that the percentage is

about 10% who pass on day 10. What happened on day 7 if

you don't mind me asking, best of luck to you tomorrow Fred.

Hey Sim, Acela, Loco or anyone familiar with Day 10 test. On day 9 they got me on a red at Madison Ave which wasn't even yellow wheni turned then stopped in intersection for pedestrians. When the super looked up, he saw red and I was done. Do u know what I can expect on the day 10 road test at zerega? I heard there is a pivot turn but what else can u tell me.. I will be stopping at all don't walk flashing boxes for sure. My turns were fine as well.

Thanks to all

FDB,

Sorry I got to respond so late but it appears you already received sound info by the guys who responded already. You are probably testing as I write this.

Day 10, being the final day tends to bring on the nerves. Any trolley brake use, curb jumping, curb strike, excessive speed for the conditions, unnecessary back up, abrupt braking etc... etc... will disqualify you. The question the instructors will ask themselves is:

"Tomorrow, will I allow my family member to ride with this operator without the benefit of the instructor or trolley brake on board.

One other thing:

Re: stopping at a "stale" traffic light (One that's been green and the "don't walk" indicator is flashing Here is the procedure:

Stopping at a light in the above stale condition can also be considered a dangerous action. When you stop at a green light, what happens behind you? Operators of vehicles begin to attempt to pass you in any way they can. Confusion erupts. This can also cause a colission. In this country green means go! As you enter the previou block or when you leave a farside stop you immediately bring your eyes to the "don't walk" indicator at the next intersection not the light! Getting the early read on WHEN the indicator began to flash (stale green) will allow you to determine if you will be able to safely proceed through a solid green at the on-coming intersection. The procedure when approaching any intersection is to "Cover the Brake" when entering the final 1/3 of the block. (National Safety Councils 1/3 Rule.)

When you reach the "Point of No Return" approaching the near corner, you should already know by what I previously said about looking early at the "Don't Walk" indicator wether you will be able to enter the intersection covering the brake and safely continue and exit the interection safely. Guessing is not an option. You guess wrong, apply an abrupt brake and everyone is on the floor of the bus with "on-board" injuries. Not good!

Remember, as a professional you are responsible for entering, proceeding through and exiting the intersection without incident. Drive smart, take a mental snapshot of the block your entering and begin to "break things down" in your mind. This is true Forward Planning!

All the best with Day 10!

Hey FDB Guy,

Hope all went well. Were you able to qualify on Day 10? It seems as though the majority of users on this forum qualified with ease on Day 7. Was there something possibly throwing you off that required you to reach Day 10? I'm just a little anxious being that the largest vehicle I have ever driven was a uhaul. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Hey FDB Guy,

Hope all went well. Were you able to qualify on Day 10? It seems as though the majority of users on this forum qualified with ease on Day 7. Was there something possibly throwing you off that required you to reach Day 10? I'm just a little anxious being that the largest vehicle I have ever driven was a uhaul. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

He hasn't logged on since Sunday night, I have no clue if he made it on day 10 or not. If he didn't pass I still have to give the guy credit for trying, he took the drug test 3 different times, was passed over for the next class for no good reason.

He can take whatever B/O exams are out there, but he has to wait 3 years. It would help all of us on the lists if he let us know how it went either way. But if he chooses not to I understand, he was one of the mature posters on this forum, good luck to you Fred.:tup:

What he told me was that "I think all these years of driving made habits

that were hard to adjust in 1 week. I'm looking elsewhere."

Maybe if he would have posted on here the things that he needed to work on

way before he got to day 10, he would have found the answers from the people

who on here who give solid advice, bottom line is that not all of us

are going to qualify, however most do, Acela's class 24 out of 36 made it on

day 7, in total 31 out of 36 qualified, which to me is a very good %

It's important to take note as to why others have failed to qualify so we

can learn from it.

can learn from it.

I couldn't agree more :tup:

can learn from it.

Well in my class it was about 44 of us, out of that number 32 made it on day 7 including myself. Now only 8 out of the 12 made it on days 8,9, and 10. But this job is not for everyone, yea the money and benifits that comes with this job is good, but the real issue is can you handle it;) . To those who made it congrats once again and the battle is not over till you get off your probe, like myself lol. 4 months down, 8 more to go. Lets get it:tup:

Well in my class it was about 44 of us, out of that number 32 made it on day 7 including myself. Now only 8 out of the 12 made it on days 8,9, and 10. But this job is not for everyone, yea the money and benifits that comes with this job is good, but the real issue is can you handle it;) . To those who made it congrats once again and the battle is not over till you get off your probe, like myself lol. 4 months down, 8 more to go. Lets get it:tup:

So true, and that number shrinks unfortunately after 1 yr goes by.

Very little room for mistakes while you are on probation.

I don't want to kick somebody when they are down but that guy wasn't

man enough to say why he failed on day 10. Maybe if he had asked for

help/advice prior to day 7 he would have passed. There are people on here

who give quality and sound advice/tips. He came from Wall St, once put down

transit workers on here when the union was fighting for the miniscule raises,

and was put in place by a T/O on here.

Karma is a b i t c h!

All we know is that he failed on day 9 because while in an intersection waiting

for pedestrians to cross the light turned red, not sure if that was

the whole story or not. The point is he had day 8 for an extra day of training,

to work on your weak points. Sure, the training is very short, but

more people qualify then fail, the numbers don't lie.

You have to say to yourself..."If he/she can do it, then so can I!

• 2 weeks later...
So true, and that number shrinks unfortunately after 1 yr goes by.

Very little room for mistakes while you are on probation.

I don't want to kick somebody when they are down but that guy wasn't

man enough to say why he failed on day 10. Maybe if he had asked for

help/advice prior to day 7 he would have passed. There are people on here

who give quality and sound advice/tips. He came from Wall St, once put down

transit workers on here when the union was fighting for the miniscule raises,

and was put in place by a T/O on here.

Karma is a b i t c h!

All we know is that he failed on day 9 because while in an intersection waiting

for pedestrians to cross the light turned red, not sure if that was

the whole story or not. The point is he had day 8 for an extra day of training,

to work on your weak points. Sure, the training is very short, but

more people qualify then fail, the numbers don't lie.

You have to say to yourself..."If he/she can do it, then so can I!

i havent posted for a while ive been busy working but i must say day ten is a mental process!Its funny because i went to day 10 and passed.I KNOW IAM A EXCELLENT DRIVER!!!!CLASS A!!!!DRIVERS LICENCE!and from day 1 that was a problem the instructor was very hard on me.I DIDNT QUALIFY ON DAY 7 OR DAY 9.Its funny because i was on of the best drivers from day 1.then on day 9 i aced it.Guys hit the curb couldnt even get the bus in drive and the instructor passed them and sent me to day 10 stating that i was to cocky!!!wow thats what she said i was to cocky.You have to own it!!!!!

i havent posted for a while ive been busy working but i must say day ten is a mental process!Its funny because i went to day 10 and passed.I KNOW IAM A EXCELLENT DRIVER!!!!CLASS A!!!!DRIVERS LICENCE!and from day 1 that was a problem the instructor was very hard on me.I DIDNT QUALIFY ON DAY 7 OR DAY 9.Its funny because i was on of the best drivers from day 1.then on day 9 i aced it.Guys hit the curb couldnt even get the bus in drive and the instructor passed them and sent me to day 10 stating that i was to cocky!!!wow thats what she said i was to cocky.You have to own it!!!!!

:eek: If you don't mind me asking, what depot were you sent to for training?

• 2 months later...

Day 1 at Michael J Quill went fine. I wasn't trolley braked and the instructor said that I did well. I found the pivot, Made hook turns and made a wrap around turn into the bus stop. Drove down 125 at about 4pm with a lot of crazy traffic with no problems. I'm off to bed, day 2 tomorrow!:(

Edited by Jamar
miss spelled

Days 2-4 were great as well! Instructor says that we all are doing great!! We all did good on the El Pillars and he said if we keep it up, he doesn't see any of us in my group of 4 not qualifying on day 7 unless we do something like run a red light or another dangerous action! His teaching style is phenomenal! Very, very good instructor!!! My hats off to him!:tup:

Days 2-4 were great as well! Instructor says that we all are doing great!! We all did good on the El Pillars and he said if we keep it up, he doesn't see any of us in my group of 4 not qualifying on day 7 unless we do something like run a red light or another dangerous action! His teaching style is phenomenal! Very, very good instructor!!! My hats off to him!:tup:

Who's your instructor?

Who's your instructor?

Mr. Doyle. Well Today I messed up on a tight turn on day 5 and got trolley braked! I went too early on the turn and didn't watch my right mirror! My fault! Rest of the day went well, made the same turn later on with no problem! Can't wait to get back at it tomorrow! Day 6 incoming!!!:tup: