Train Operator promo exam 8562

Den

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a good question (i think). lets say that the contract negotiations take months and months in arbitration. it's scheduled to expire in January, but they may not get a new one until late 2012. but what if they start hiring from the open competitive list and you are hired in Tier 4. but in the arbitration they decide to impose Tier 5 and the contract is retroactive. would the new PROBATIONARY employee lose their Tier 4 status? or are they protected by the NYS Constitution?

Sorry Dave haha I just noticed I posted what number are they at right after u mentioned low 300s haha and im sure its gota be different going from T/O to TSS hope it works out for you though

Quick can any1 xplain I saw a article someone posted in another forum that The Chief and I no thats not the most accurate source of info but it said there are 300 eligibles from list number #190 or sumthing to list #602 for 100 T/O positions. Does that mean they are using the 1 in 3 rule and does that mean they are actually at list number #602?? Im just trying to figure it out TIA guys hope every1 is gooddddd B)

I know I've asked this before, but since the needs of the service are always changing it can't hurt to ask again. Is there a greater need for train operators in the A division or B division? It would totally blow if I got stuck in the B division, living in the Bronx. Also, are they letting the employee pick which division they want?

Sometimes they let the employee pick, sometimes they don't.

-If they need personnel in the B division only, the whole class goes to the B.

-If they need personnel in the A division only, the whole class goes to the A.

-If they need personnel in both divisions, a pick occurs during schoolcar in seniority order (read: lowest list number order), and people pick until one of the two divisions is filled. Everyone who didn't pick is automatically assigned to the other division.

Example: A class of 10 starts and 5 train ops are needed for the A division, 5 for the B division (this would never happen - classes are almost always closer to 10 in size, and never 5, but I'm just using it as an example).

List #7 picks the A.

List #13 picks the A.

List #14 picks the B.

List #17 picks the A.

List #22 picks the B.

List #26 picks the B.

List #28 picks the A.

List #29 picks the A.

Since the A is now full (5 picked it), the two with higher list numbers who didn't get to pick automatically go to the B.

Some pretty good info here. Does anyone know what classes are scheduled and how many will be in them for the rest of this year?

Big thanks to dave and subwayguy! You guys rock!

Sometimes they let the employee pick, sometimes they don't.

-If they need personnel in the B division only, the whole class goes to the B.

-If they need personnel in the A division only, the whole class goes to the A.

-If they need personnel in both divisions, a pick occurs during schoolcar in seniority order (read: lowest list number order), and people pick until one of the two divisions is filled. Everyone who didn't pick is automatically assigned to the other division.

Example: A class of 10 starts and 5 train ops are needed for the A division, 5 for the B division (this would never happen - classes are almost always closer to 10 in size, and never 5, but I'm just using it as an example).

List #7 picks the A.

List #13 picks the A.

List #14 picks the B.

List #17 picks the A.

List #22 picks the B.

List #26 picks the B.

List #28 picks the A.

List #29 picks the A.

Since the A is now full (5 picked it), the two with higher list numbers who didn't get to pick automatically go to the B.

alright so if i get stuck in the B division when i first get hired, and then they need T/Os in the A division when the next class comes out, will i get to choose the A division before the newbies or am i stuck in the B division for a couple of years until i get to officially "pick"?

alright so if i get stuck in the B division when i first get hired, and then they need T/Os in the A division when the next class comes out, will i get to choose the A division before the newbies or am i stuck in the B division for a couple of years until i get to officially "pick"?

You are stuck until you have enough seniority to put in a G-2 (paperwork) with the crew office to change divisions.

You will be trained for your division when you start...if you pick the other division when you have enough seniority, you will go back for training in the other division.

Seniority is system wide by title, however, so changing divisions will not cost you any seniority.

Changing titles will reset your seniority.

that freakin SUCKS!!! i would be better off declining the job and waiting for the next class. when i get called im coming back to the forum to ask what division needs T/Os and if it's the B im waiting cuz that rule needs to be changed BIG TIME. i already spent 6 years at the post office in kennedy airport while i live in the Bronx. i know i will get asked to go to start in Brooklyn in the A division, but it won't be a guaranteed f-ing 5 days a week like it is for me now. the only line that comes to the Bronx in the B division is the (:)(D), this blows! :mad:

that freakin SUCKS!!! i would be better off declining the job and waiting for the next class. when i get called im coming back to the forum to ask what division needs T/Os and if it's the B im waiting cuz that rule needs to be changed BIG TIME. i already spent 6 years at the post office in kennedy airport while i live in the Bronx. i know i will get asked to go to start in Brooklyn in the A division, but it won't be a guaranteed f-ing 5 days a week like it is for me now. the only line that comes to the Bronx in the B division is the (;)(D), this blows! :mad:

That would not be a good move.

You won't find out what division you'll be in (or if you have a choice) until you've already started.

All you'll be doing is costing yourself seniority and service time

Besides, in emergency staffing shortages, they can switch people's divisions at their discretion (although this is incredibly rare) so just because you get what you want doesn't mean it's guaranteed to stay that way forever.

Just keep your fingers crossed you get what you want...and if you don't...better to suck it up than cost yourself seniority and service time.

yeah, i just said that out of frustration yesterday lol. i know that when i get the letter in the mail i'll be so happy that i wont even think about that and just say yes. even though i have an awesome list # of 259, i wouldnt put it past the (MTA) to freeze the hiring right after i turn it down

yeah, i just said that out of frustration yesterday lol. i know that when i get the letter in the mail i'll be so happy that i wont even think about that and just say yes. even though i have an awesome list # of 259, i wouldnt put it past the (MTA) to freeze the hiring right after i turn it down

Wow you got a 97.5 also? Im list 264. Pretty close...I wouldnt turn down the job just because of the division assigned. Everyone I know who works as a T/O hated the hours and tours in the beginning but after a few years they got better picks and really enjoy it now.

Congrats to you guys on the good list#... im #699 w a score of 96.25 I got JFK Airport wrong I put Brooklyn instead of Queens grrrrrr I would be with you guys but im not from NYC and swear JFK was Brooklyn haha

I posted back on here that The Chief said it had 100 positions for 8652 with eligibles from #190 sumthn to #602 does this mean that they already went up to list #602 on the Promo List??? I know the Chief isnt the greastest resource but was wondering

Hope u guys get called next year hehe

Wow you got a 97.5 also? Im list 264. Pretty close...I wouldnt turn down the job just because of the division assigned. Everyone I know who works as a T/O hated the hours and tours in the beginning but after a few years they got better picks and really enjoy it now.

i orignially had 3 wrong but i was the guy who protested #17 (afternoon session)! ok, i actually protested all 3 that i got wrong but #17 had to be overturned because it was the one where the paragraph talked about the procedures when they shut off the 3rd rail, and at the bottom it said everyone in the area must be notified but in the question "everyone" was not an option. the two that i got wrong were both signals questions. the one about the red light asked what you should do when you come across the red light. i should have known they just want you to stop, but i chose the one that said to contact the tower. the other one was something about a yellow bar i think. i cant even remember. i protested that both of those required railroad training because they were not accompanied by paragraphs, but nobody bought it. either way i might get in the first class if a lot of people turn it down, fail the medical, fail the drug test, or dont have the 5 years experience

Congrats to you guys on the good list#... im #699 w a score of 96.25 I got JFK Airport wrong I put Brooklyn instead of Queens grrrrrr I would be with you guys but im not from NYC and swear JFK was Brooklyn haha

I posted back on here that The Chief said it had 100 positions for 8652 with eligibles from #190 sumthn to #602 does this mean that they already went up to list #602 on the Promo List??? I know the Chief isnt the greastest resource but was wondering

Hope u guys get called next year hehe

i asked the same exact thing when the chief reported that they're up to #433 and here's the response i got in another thread: "The 433 is the number that DCAS is up to from the available names on the list that they have sent to Transit. Transit then contacts those names to hire them, but it does not mean they already sent out letters to them, or that Transit has hired them. It means that that group DCAS sent them is what they are going to hire next when they have a new class coming up."

Well from what im seeing LOTS of C/R's are going up front to Train Operator and they are young time wise...

Very Few are passing up the promo's, heck the Schoolcar i seen last night had SIX Conductors who i used to work with alone.

I say give it a year maybe two before they hit the O/C list..

Maybe...

the lowest list # we know of is in the 300s, while DCAS has already given them permission to call in the 600s. i think its safe to say the promotion list is halfway done and it's only been a year so far. barring any hiring freeze i expect to be called sometime in 2012 and i would put money on it if i could :cool:

the lowest list # we know of is in the 300s, while DCAS has already given them permission to call in the 600s. i think its safe to say the promotion list is halfway done and it's only been a year so far. barring any hiring freeze i expect to be called sometime in 2012 and i would put money on it if i could :cool:

Hahaha yesssss Lex I hope ur right u just pumped me up loll...and thanks for the info about DCAS and all. Im not expecting anything til 2013 and prob towards the end of that year if anything for me I hope im wrong but its kinda fun to see how things develop in the next year or so lets keep the updates coming B)

Archived