Report: Singer Amy Winehouse found dead

LRG

London (CNN) -- Singer Amy Winehouse was found dead at her apartment in London Saturday, the UK Press Association reported. She was 27.

London police said they were called to a home, which matches Winehouse's address, Saturday afternoon in response to "a woman found deceased."

"On arrival officers found the body of a 27-year-old female who was pronounced dead at the scene," a police statement said.

"At this early stage it is being treated as unexplained," police said.

The "Rehab" singer had a history of battling drugs and alcohol and recently left a British rehabilitation program that a representative said was intended to prepare her for scheduled European concerts.

But she cut short the European concert tour in Belgrade, Serbia, last month after she staggered around the stage and stumbled through several songs.

Audience members booed Winehouse off the stage that night just a few songs into the first concert of the tour.

Winehouse rep Tracey Miller told CNN at the time that the singer "agreed with management that she cannot perform to the best of her ability and will return home."

"Everyone involved wishes to do everything they can to help her return to her best and she will be given as long as it takes for this to happen," representative Chris Goodman said in a statement in May.

Winehouse's throaty vocals brought the British musician stardom in 2007, but her off-stage life gained her notoriety. The lyrics of her songs, especially the hit "Rehab," chronicled her troubled life.

The song, in which she sang "They tried to make me go to rehab, I said no, no, no," helped form the public's view of Winehouse.

"I don't care enough about what people think of me to conform to anything," she said in a CNN interview.

Winehouse, born in London in 1983, became a picture of a tattooed teenage rebel after she was expelled from a prestigious performing arts school.

Her first album, "Frank," debuted in 2003, when the singer-songwriter was 19.

International success came with her 2007 album "Back To Black," which in included the single "Rehab."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/07/23/amy.winehouse.dies/

:cry: sad

You right Jimmy this is sad:cry:. Unlike IMO Ms. Perry, Beiber, Gaga, Miley Rhianna and the other younger (under age 30)'stars' Whinehouse actually was maybe the best and only real musician of the last decade IMO.:P

While not a diehard fan I like a few of Amy's songs. Sadly this is not a surprise since media reports state she been suffering from drinking and drug addictions almost her entire adult life. Not to mention many people and other celebrtites pleaing with her to get help.

Amy now sadly joins a long list of brilliant musicans who passed away way too early due to substance. i.e Hendrix, Morrison, Corbin, etc.

So this is a loss for the entire contemporary (since 2000)music biz.

You right Jimmy this is sad:cry:. Unlike IMO Ms. Perry, Beiber, Gaga, Miley Rhianna and the other younger (under age 30)'stars' Whinehouse actually was maybe the best and only real musician of the last decade IMO.:P

While not a diehard fan I like a few of Amy's songs. Sadly this is not a surprise since media reports state she been suffering from drinking and drug addictions almost her entire adult life. Not to mention many people and other celebrtites pleaing with her to get help.

Amy now sadly joins a long list of brilliant musicans who passed away way too early due to substance. i.e Hendrix, Morrison, Corbin, etc.

So this is a loss for the entire contemporary (since 2000)music biz.

I actually find Rihanna to be a good musician.

She was a good singer but made terrible life choices. RIP. However, I find the Norway attacks to be more tragic.

Andrew aka R68 while her death is sad it's not shocking consdering her addictions. I don't think anyone is comparing her passing to the terror attack/shooting massacre in Oslo that killed nearly 100 people. That tragic.

As i said alot happening in news between Winehouse death, the Olso massacre, the US heat wave and the debt crisis in last few days.

she was just a mediocre singer, nothing special or standing out. This was no surprise. The real surprise was that this didnt happen sooner.

One less dope fiend trolling around. She did it to herself. I have no compassion for drug addicts since they are addicts by choice.

I knew I should have picked her in my death pool...

Lol!

I will loose 0% sleep over this. Next..

Yup.

she was just a mediocre singer, nothing special or standing out. This was no surprise. The real surprise was that this didnt happen sooner.

One less dope fiend trolling around. She did it to herself. I have no compassion for drug addicts since they are addicts by choice.

Agreed.

I remember hearin the name about 2 or 3 times, but never really knew much about 'her.... so she was a drug abuser huh... wellp, no sympathy from me either.... lookin at that 2nd YT clip massproduction posted, that reminded me of one of whitney houston's performances where she also got booed while on stage lookin all strung out....

ah well....

I remember hearin the name about 2 or 3 times, but never really knew much about 'her.... so she was a drug abuser huh... wellp, no sympathy from me either.... lookin at that 2nd YT clip massproduction posted, that reminded me of one of whitney houston's performances where she also got booed while on stage lookin all strung out....

ah well....

and not meant to jinx her (i admit i crush on her when she was a pretty 18 year old when she began her career 25 years ago before Bobby Brown ruined her life)Whitney is maybe the next internationally known singing star who will pass on from drinking/cocaine problems if she does not turn around asap.

For an artist that wrote a song about not going to Rehab saying something like ''I refuse to accept help with my drug addiction Leave me alone'' now she payed the price.

Other great talent consumed by drugs.

R.I.P hope you have peace in the other would without addiction.

Archived