Children With Autism, Connecting via Transit

LRG

My iPod touch won't let me copy the article word-for-word, so here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/nyregion/children-with-autism-connecting-via-bus-and-train.html?_r=1&ref=us

For some reason I find this article hard to believe. They're basically saying that every transit buff is autistic and for the most part that's far from the truth. I know for a fact I'm not autistic but I do know a few people who are....

If kids are attracted to different things then why label the train addicts as autistic when the same can be said for kids who like to watch birds and squirrels at the park?

I agree... This is total BS! :mad: Autistic kids IMO are smart enough (in fact they're VERY smart, smarter than many of the so called "normal kids") to know what they like and don't like. I liked buses since I was a kid and I think a big part of that was because of my uncle being a B/O. I think it's only normal for kids to be drawn to buses, trains and the like because esp. here in NYC, where they're more likely to use them on a daily basis. When you spend hours every day on the things, naturally some folks will become fascinated by them. Quite frankly there are a lot of folks that like them in some shape or form and maybe they're not out riding them for fanning purposes or taking photos of them, but they enjoy and like some aspect of them.

I think you're reading too much into the article, LRG. The writer is just stating that autistic children are fascinated by trains; nothing more. Of course not every transit enthusiast has autism.

but we all know people like to stereotype... the article also clearly stated that there is a direct connection between autism and trains which is complete bull... I know a few fanners that are autistic and believe me, you wouldnt know they were unless they told you.

Sure people with autism get very interested in something.... not necessarily trains and buses.

I know for sure I'm not autistic yet I like trains. Shy? yes. Autistic? no... eh for me, my interest in train and buses started in high school when I started riding them and out of boredom, I started reading the history of transit in NYC. Thats how it started for me. Plus between home and school, I'm riding a train.... so its like outlet from stress for me

Autism does not only have to do with trains and buses. It can be planes, computers, studying dirt and poop, etc... Good to plain gross.

It makes me wonder if foamers can be counted as autistic people, since all they do is talk about trains and do that only.

The article is not bad, but there are a couple of ugly lines in there that make railfans look bad. A quote:

The link between trains and autism is well documented.

There is a disclaimer later, but not everybody reads news articles thoroughly.

Thanks to this news article people are going to think that rail fans are all autistic. Thank you New York Times you have ruined something for me (********). I would like you to know that one of your top customers is a rail fan, has an IQ of 126, is Asian, and isn't autistic at all. I wonder if you jerks checked on what you wrote before you published it.

I don't get it. The activity of rail fanning in the US has been labeled insane, crazy, and from even some people as a hobo activity, but yet in Europe, and Asia rail fans are labeled as cool people, because of their respect for rail, and rail technology, and especially on how Europe, and Asia has their high speed rail systems, and their rapidly expanding metro systems. It's something that other people are proud of in other nations. Here if you are a rail fan you go through crap. No wonder why people think the US is a car culture nation. This article and this proof is the exact proof on why the US is seen as a car, and oil greedy nation in the world. While other nations develop green technology, because they know that oil is a nonrenewable resource we see these things that are all related somehow to burning up oil, and we know the effects of burning oil, but we still do it, and we respect car fanning and not rail fanning which would help solve our oil addiction. This will hurt our nation no doubt in the long run.

I was never interested in violence/guns, trading cards. What does having an interest have to do with Autism. I kind of hide my love with transit with people in my school and things though. Oh Roadcruiser please! I don't really care. Well it's only an idea. It's not proven. I'd love to go to NYCTM every week! :cool:

Roadcrusier1, relax, please! No where does the writer imply the ALL rail enthusiasts are autistic. The writer says that there is a connection between autistic kids and trains because it's predictable. Train movement is predictable, and predictability is what they are drawn to. It instantly "catches their attention." Not sure where some of you getting the impression that the writer is implying that we're all autistic.

It isn't that serious.

I think i'm completly the opposite of autistic... lol.

I've actually ruined a few people's videos with my talking lol.

mmhhmmm.. Yeah im thinking the opposite of what you said, more like the highest PSF lol

And you ruined people videos? Yeah im one of them, i remember =)! So you also got a bad puzzle on ya xDD

Btw thx for admitting that.

I am not saying that. I am basically saying that there now might be people that will assume all rail fans are crazy or a lunatic in some way.

So Us Austic ppl are crazy....STFU....everytime theres an Austic thread , you bash us....maybe you should get know us...

mmhhmmm.. Yeah im thinking the opposite of what you said, more like the highest PSF lol

And you ruined people videos? Yeah im one of them, i remember =)! So you also got a bad puzzle on ya xDD

Btw thx for admitting that.

uhhh... your welcome?

I beg to differ Mr. Pushcart and I'm another one with ruined videos thanks to you

What ruined videos?!?!

btw, my voice has gotten significantly deeper from when the first time I met you, so no more complaining about my voice !

uhhh... your welcome?

What ruined videos?!?!

btw, my voice has gotten significantly deeper from when the first time I met you, so no more complaining about my voice !

A high pitched voice, a purple spongebob backpack, and massive foaming are enough to ruin videos and significantly deeper my ass. You still have that annoying high pitched voice with that horrific laugh.

I didn't call autistic people crazy. I said that other people will think of rail fans as crazy people. My God I didn't expect this much confusion from my one post.

Maybe you ought to THINK before you post the wrong thing and maybe you won't get blasted. You do that all the time.

Archived