Light Rail in NYC?

xloakedx

Didn't know where exactly to place this thread, if it needs to be moved then so be it. Anyway, wondered as to why there is none in NYC or least any proposals to build one? (besides the airport ones) I knew that the trolley/streetcar system in NYC was torn up long ago to be replaced by buses but no proposals now? Maybe focusing on extending existing subway lines is priority or using existing ROW's. Any light on this issue?

The only 'Light Rail' system or so called 'Rail Shuttle' or something along those lines in New York City, Ive heard about would run across 42 St. Close 42 St to all Vehicular Traffic and a Light Rail Train would transport people cross town... Not sure if the city is still implementing this plan, but last I heard about it, was about 4-5 years ago.

The only 'Light Rail' system or so called 'Rail Shuttle' or something along those lines in New York City, Ive heard about would run across 42 St. Close 42 St to all Vehicular Traffic and a Light Rail Train would transport people cross town... Not sure if the city is still implementing this plan, but last I heard about it, was about 4-5 years ago.

Would sure as hell improve air quality. I remember this plan. They are still going through the basic ideas stage and may come around at some point.

- Andy

I remember something about that, but what I would do is close 42st to non-official traffic during the hours of 6am to 9:30am, and 3pm to 7pm (Summer) 6pm (Winter). Run BRT with RTS's, Orion 7 NG's, Flyer DE60LFR's, and Benz Citaros. Make sure the buses have good conections with all the trains. There is already a proven system, and a shuttle.

I heard about the 42md st LRT but doesn't look as if its going to go through if it didn't already. I like the BRT idea but i think the busses should be longer but have a different fare method to speed up the process of getting on board for it to be pratical. The method of not allowing non-official vehicles to run on the street sort of already exists in the city in downtown Brooklyn at Fulton Mall, only buses and emergency vehicles are allowed on that street between Adam St and Flatbush Ave, if I'm not mistaken. But thats the only one I'm aware of.

I heard about the 42md st LRT but doesn't look as if its going to go through if it didn't already. I like the BRT idea but i think the busses should be longer but have a different fare method to speed up the process of getting on board for it to be pratical. The method of not allowing non-official vehicles to run on the street sort of already exists in the city in downtown Brooklyn at Fulton Mall, only buses and emergency vehicles are allowed on that street between Adam St and Flatbush Ave, if I'm not mistaken. But thats the only one I'm aware of.

Double deck double articulated!

- Andy

Yeah Fulton Mall is where I got the idea. Fare control would be managed the same way it is on the Bx12 BRT.

Double deck double articulated!

- Andy

That sounds fun! But the best chance of getting one of those into production would be to do it ourselves.

i think its not necessary, spend the money instead to improve and enlarge the subway

I agree with you, but that doesn't help 42nd St right now, and there are other subway projects already in the works. BRT is more cost effective.

The only light rail you'll see in NYC would be in Staten Island if that ever goes through.....

After the success of newark and HB light rail systems, which SI residents probably use sometimes, i would give that plan a good chance of happening.

- Andy

After the success of newark and HB light rail systems, which SI residents probably use sometimes, i would give that plan a good chance of happening.

- Andy

Its ready to go, Bayonne Bridge has provisions to have rail run across on it. And the line is ready in SI. With SI, there are so many opportunities so run HBLR wherever.

Its ready to go, Bayonne Bridge has provisions to have rail run across on it. And the line is ready in SI. With SI, there are so many opportunities so run HBLR wherever.

I guess we'll have to wait & see. If i can take path from newark to wherever, then take light rail to SI i could get to manhattan even cheaper!

- Andy

I guess we'll have to wait & see. If i can take path from newark to wherever, then take light rail to SI i could get to manhattan even cheaper!

- Andy

Not cheaper but one hell of a trip. I've done it several times now with the S89. With light rail, it'll be really fast than the options now.

Not cheaper but one hell of a trip. I've done it several times now with the S89. With light rail, it'll be really fast than the options now.

Well, the price of going to nyp on the :nec: vs nwk is more than if i got off at nwk. If you take amtrak it amplifies the price difference. In fact i've started to tell people because of the :nec: trackwork to take (NJT) to metropark, then catch amtrak from metropark to tre, combined with PATH from WTC catching (NJT) at nwk if they have the few extra dollars and dont want the delays (NJT) is having from being second priority. nyp to tre is not worth it because it is really a lot more expensive. It works if your schedule fits the interconnecting amtrak & (NJT) schedule at metropark, otherwise not 100% practical. Speed vs cost vs on time = hard to figure out sometimes, but it would save me money, since it would be (NJT) to (MTA) instead of (NJT) to PATH to (MTA). ;)

- Andy

• 2 years later...

as of me, the light rail is the best soluting to feel the gaps, on NYC subway map. Look on eastern Queens. Look on Canarsie, Flatlands, Marine Park?

Are tehse areas covered by subway? Not really.

Plus there is no Brooklyn to Queens direct line. (G) doesnt count. It is next to Manhattan. Yet, if one need to get from Marine Park to Kew Gardens by train, it can take to a whole day.

Plus when I go from Marine Park to Bay Ridge - it take about 2 hours to go in each way. So I guess the light rail will be a nice suppliment to NYC Subway

as of me, the light rail is the best soluting to feel the gaps, on NYC subway map. Look on eastern Queens. Look on Canarsie, Flatlands, Marine Park?

Are tehse areas covered by subway? Not really.

Plus there is no Brooklyn to Queens direct line. (G) doesnt count. It is next to Manhattan. Yet, if one need to get from Marine Park to Kew Gardens by train, it can take to a whole day.

Plus when I go from Marine Park to Bay Ridge - it take about 2 hours to go in each way. So I guess the light rail will be a nice suppliment to NYC Subway

Where exactly would these "light-rail" lines be built?? We don't have any space for them other than Staten Island.

I posted these images in a similar thread. Though one is needed here too. Light rail is useful in areas where the population is dense enough for transportation but not dense enough for a real subway line. Staten Island is a good place. So is Red Hook.

staten-island1.jpg

Historic-Streetcars-for-Brooklyn.jpg

To tell you the truth light rail is like a bus. Light rail doesn't really act like a subway line. It stops as frequently as a bus stops on the street. The only difference is light rail is cheaper then buses because it runs on electricity. It isn't a good way to travel long distances or to get to places quickly. Though maybe a better solution to put light rail stations in a city like New York is to increase the distance of stations so the distance between light rail stations would be longer then the distance for bus stations but shorter then subway stations. Also a future Red Hook Light Rail extension should be sent across the Brooklyn Bridge to Chambers Street to give people in Red Hook a one seat ride to Manhattan, to give people and tourist better views of the Brooklyn Bridge, and to make New York and the Brooklyn Bridge more green and eco friendly. Also I suggest a Governor's Island extension to make Governor's Island more accessible, to allow future development on Governor's Island, and to bring more people there. Also a future development in Red Hook like that including my ideas would transform Red Hook economy.

I agree that light rail is good for neighborhoods with a medium population density (too high for buses, too low for heavy rail). However, for this reason, I don't think light rail would work on the North Shore of Staten Island-it is too dense for light rail. Think about it-heavy rail was run by a private company until 1953, with the population density a fraction of what it is today.

As far as potential corridors, look at high ridership bus corridors, as well as routes that have received +SBS+ service:

Kings Highway, Brooklyn

Richmond Avenue, Staten Island

Victory Blvd, Staten Island

Nostrand Avenue, Brooklyn

Pelham Parkway, Bronx

149th Street, Bronx

Grand Concourse, Bronx

Main Street, Queens

Woodhaven Blvd, Queens

Corridors that are dense enough to support heavy rail, but would use light rail if it were the only thing that the MTA would be willing to build are:

Hillside Avenue, Queens

Merrick Blvd, Queens

Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn

Third Avenue, Bronx

125th Street, Manhattan

That map looks really good.

By the way, new people join & see a topic they wanna get involved in & want to post something 1 day or 10 years after original post. there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's not posting to post.

- A

That map looks really good.

By the way, new people join & see a topic they wanna get involved in & want to post something 1 day or 10 years after original post. there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's not posting to post.

- A

Same goes for members who have not been online in a while either.

Light rail would work well for crosstown service in Manhattan (on 125th St and 34th St, at least, where there is no subway crosstown). Also ideal to connect Red Hook and Columbia St to the transit system. Parts of Queens, like Maspeth, would also benefit.

Archived