Would this be a good or bad idea? (regarding the M train)

Tinamarie

This past weekend the (M) was running from Metropolitan Av-57th Street. Would it be a good idea if they just do this every weekend? Instead of people taking 3 trains to go to upper Manhattan.

WB Tinamarie. It's doubtful the (M) will ever have weekend service to 6th Ave/Queens Blvd stations for these reasons. First is fact Problem is there no place in Manhattan along the 6th Ave line to terminate the (M). Before the

63rd St connector was extended to the Queens Blvd line, 57th/6th was a terminal for mainly the (F) overnights and many years earlier the (:) when it ran on the 4th Avenue/West End line in Brooklyn. Now with the (F) running 24/7 at headways of every 10 minutes or less the entire day, it would create mega congestion on both lines if the (M) terminated at 57th/6th.

The 2nd reason Tinamarie is this. The bosses at the (MTA) stating Queens Blvd does not need '2local trains on the weekend. Plus they also add the (L) and (J) are great alternatives serving that area of Northern Brooklyn/parts of Western Queens as well.

As a compromise I stand by my earlier idea/proposal to have weekend/overnight (M)'s terminate at Essex St on the middle track. That why it provides riders on the Myrtle Ave line a 24/7 ride to Williamsburg and Lower East Side. Also most important a full time transfer to the (F) even when the (M) is not running to Midtown & Queens Blvd. stations.

So sorry dear, it's doubtful there will be ever be weekend (M) service to Midtown. At best in near future, I can see an extension to Essex Street and that it. Hope this answers your question.:confused:

WB Tinamarie. It's doubtful the (M) will ever have weekend service to 6th Ave/Queens Blvd stations for these reasons. First is fact Problem is there no place in Manhattan along the 6th Ave line to terminate the (M). Before the

63rd St connector was extended to the Queens Blvd line, 57th/6th was a terminal for mainly the (F) overnights and many years earlier the (:) when it ran on the 4th Avenue/West End line in Brooklyn. Now with the (F) running 24/7 at headways of every 10 minutes or less the entire day, it would create mega congestion on both lines if the (M) terminated at 57th/6th.

The 2nd reason Tinamarie is this. The bosses at the (MTA) stating Queens Blvd does not need '2local trains on the weekend. Plus they also add the (L) and (J) are great alternatives serving that area of Northern Brooklyn/parts of Western Queens as well.

As a compromise I stand by my earlier idea/proposal to have weekend/overnight (M)'s terminate at Essex St on the middle track. That why it provides riders on the Myrtle Ave line a 24/7 ride to Williamsburg and Lower East Side. Also most important a full time transfer to the (F) even when the (M) is not running to Midtown & Queens Blvd. stations.

So sorry dear, it's doubtful there will be ever be weekend (M) service to Midtown. At best in near future, I can see an extension to Essex Street and that it. Hope this answers your question.:confused:

That statement is so bs

Essex Street would help a lot as an (M) terminal, but if possible, I would have the (M) run to West 4th on weekends/overnights (with the (D) going to the local track from 34th-West 4) so that (M) riders can at least have a one-seat ride to Greenwich Village as well as a transfer between all of the 6th and 8th Avenue lines (and the (6) (and (4) overnights)) at Broadway-Lafayette/Bleecker).

In a perfect world, I would have the (M) go to Queens Plaza on weekends and terminate there, but Essex would work (though West 4th would be better because of the additional transfers).

Simple answer, unless they come across MORE MONEY, they're not going to be exteneding anything not already being extended. You need more trains, which require more crews, which means they need to be paid. You're atleast tripling the distance the M goes on the weekend. the weekend just gone by, they could get away with it since there was no L.

This is the best post in the entire thread.

However I do think Queens Boulevard needs two locals...solution to that: either make the (E) local on weekends or extend the (G) back to Forest Hills.

Here are some simple question:

1) During the weekends, are there very crowded platforms of M-train riders at the M-shuttle stations, and are those very same riders having a difficult time getting on-board very crowded J-trains for the trips to Manhattan?

2) During the weekends, are those very same crowded platforms of riders WAITING an extremely long time for connections J-trains for the trips to Manhattan?

3) During the weekends, are those very same huge crowds of people attempting to and failing to board very crowded F-trains at Essex Street?

4) What NEED will having the M-train run to/from Manhattan (and/or Queens Blvd) serve that is not being served right now, in this age of tight budgets?

5) How much more difficult will enacted proposals to have M-trains terminate at West 4th Street or Queens Plaza fall upon D, E and F train riders? As the trains have to switch from one track to another - will that mean congestion and train traffic?

6) It is easy to ask for more subway service, yes it is extremely easy. Will having such a M-train service increase ridership or just distribute the current ridership over more empty trains?

7) Remember how some transit fans often love to seem to say how NOBODY rides this or that line. Creating the mythology about the ridership of a line - that then gets killed in the service cuts. There has to be a "basic level" of service that provides the connections to the other lines, that allows trains to be serviced, etc. Not every line can run at all times - the NYC subway is not that small.

------

These questions are about the justification for M-trains running to/from Manhattan and/or Queens (Plaza or Blvd) during the weekends, instead of its shuttle operation.

Mike

This past weekend the (M) was running from Metropolitan Av-57th Street. Would it be a good idea if they just do this every weekend? Instead of people taking 3 trains to go to upper Manhattan.

Bad Idea Crews need to be added, timetables and work programs need to be re-done...

That statement is so bs

What bs Q43? Talk to me. Of course the main reason there be no major service extensions/expansion systemwide for a long while is the current budget crisis. I was giving detailed other reasons to Tinamarie taking away the money issues, why it's unlikely the (M) will never have 6th Avenue or QB service Q43.

If weekend ridership did grown on the Brooklyn-Broadway line, then i suggest extending the (M)to Essex makes the most sense.

And Wallyhorse why you never give up on having the (M) terminate at West 4th Street? You would create conga lines so long even on the weekend with (M) and (D) switching back & forth you have (D) delayed back to the Manhattan Bridge? Myrtle Ave-Broadway is fine for now for weekend/overnight terminal but if funding was available then extend to Essex. End of story.:eek:

The (M) isn't even full on weekdays. I have rode the (M) frequently to work, and back when I transfer at West 4th Street, or Broadway-Lafayette Street on the (D), and the (M) still has seats available. Not just that there was plenty of standing room. Only during rush hours are there no seats available, but there is still plenty of standing area. In reality the (M) is nothing more, but a subway line that supplements the (F). It's nothing more then an upgraded, and extended (V) line, and the (V) was also practically empty when it was in service.

If weekend ridership did grown on the Brooklyn-Broadway line, then i suggest extending the (M)to Essex makes the most sense.

Or they could simply add more (J) trains. Just saying...

And Wallyhorse why you never give up on having the (M) terminate at West 4th Street? You would create conga lines so long even on the weekend with (M) and (D) switching back & forth you have (D) delayed back to the Manhattan Bridge? Myrtle Ave-Broadway is fine for now for weekend/overnight terminal but if funding was available then extend to Essex. End of story.:eek:

Ironically, the (D) is having to terminate at West 4 (and some at Pacific Street) due to a water main break that has thrown the CPW line into total chaos.

West 4th Street isn't even a suitable terminal. If you study the track maps you would realize that there is a whole maze of subway tracks south of West 4th Street. Any idea of using it as a terminal will delay any train trying to use the station, but you chose to ignore this fact, and just come up with random ideas that won't work.

What bs Q43? Talk to me. Of course the main reason there be no major service extensions/expansion systemwide for a long while is the current budget crisis. I was giving detailed other reasons to Tinamarie taking away the money issues, why it's unlikely the (M) will never have 6th Avenue or QB service Q43.

I meant the statement about Queens Blvd doesn't need 2 locals on weekends

Not true. During GO's i remember the (J) terminate at Essex. The problem is that maybe those trains 'single track' in both directions between Essex and Marcy via the bridge.

Yes you're right, just saw the track map and (J) or (M) can terminate there either direction.

Archived