2 to South Ferry with a twist

Amtrak7

(2) No trains between Manhattan and Brooklyn

(5) Trains replace the (2) in the Bronx and Brooklyn

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Oct 15 - 17 • Oct 22 - 24 • Oct 29 - 31

(2) service operates as follows:

• Between the Dyre Av (5) Station and E 180 St

• Between E 180 St and 34 St-Penn Station (regular service)

• Between 34 St-Penn Station and the South Ferry (1) Station, making all local stops

(5) service operates as follows:

• Between the 241 St (2) Station and E 180 St

• Between E 180 St and Flatbush Av, making express stops

Combine with:

-No (Q) north of Prospect Park Oct 16

-No (7) TSQ-QBP Oct 28

Ugh!

It also appears the trains are running in 3 sections, which they're not.

Guest lance25

I don't think that could've been worded any worse if they tried. If I was typing these service changes up, I would've worded it as such:

(2) trains operates on the (5) line between Dyre Av and E 180 St, then resume normal service through 34 St-Penn Station. After 34 St, (2) trains run local through Chambers St, then continue via the (1) line to South Ferry, the last stop.

(5) trains operate via the (2) line from Wakefield-241 St to E 180 St, then resume regular service through Bowling Green. (5) trains are also extended to Flatbush Av to replace (2) trains in Brooklyn.

For continuing service to/from stations north of E 180 St, transfer between the (2) and (5) trains at E 180 St.

Sometimes, wording is the key to understanding what's going on, and I don't believe they got this one right. Like Amtrak7 said, the way it's worded makes it seem like there are three different (2) trains and two different (5) trains running on those three weekends.

As to the G.O. itself, if I'm not mistaken, it's been almost ten years since the last time this switcheroo popped up.

Guest lance25

I just realized something: this service change is essentially the (5) via 7th Ave to South Ferry and the (2) via Lexington Ave. I assume this will be in place because Dyre Av to South Ferry is almost the same distance as Dyre Av to Bowling Green as well as keep operating costs down. During those weekends, those (5)s will be using (2) line equipment and crews and vice-versa for the (2)s. Also, instead of running two shuttles (Dyre Ave and Flatbush to Atlantic Avs) as they have done, they can run through service to Flatbush Av during the overnight hours as well as service from Dyre to Manhattan. Interestingly, this can be seen as a temporary service improvement since for those three weekends, riders won't have to take three different trains to get to Manhattan.

This G/o makes no sense, why reroute the (5) to 241st and the (2) via Dyre?

If there is work on the Dyre, they would use the (S) instead.

(5) E 180 St

• Between E 180 St and Flatbush Av, making express stops

Express stops? So im guessing ether way will run express from 180th to Mott?

Im gonna guess then there maybe some work around the Unionport Yard. (2) via Unionport Yard track and (5) via WPR Exp M track.. But still doesn't make any sense..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also there is NO announcements for the Dyre Avenue bound (2) nor signs. Unless its been added. Last g/o for (2) to Dyre was in 2007 or 2008 (if i can remember) and there was no announcements. They may just put up 180th Bound (2). (Edit seems like there is as per comments below)

And the (2) to South Ferry is nothing new B)!

(2) via Dyre Avenue, (5) via the entire White Plains Road Line???

Talk about mind-boggling!

STOP ALL! You should know that weekday peak the (5) runs all the way to 238th WPR lol..

I saw a program in the computer for the (2) to Dyre back in my IRT days.

Well i guess most C/Rs dont know the program for the Dyre (2) and would use the 180th instead. But thanks for the correction!

Gotta check this out when it comes in.

Also there is NO announcements for the Dyre Avenue bound (2) nor signs. Unless its been added. Last g/o for (2) to Dyre was in 2007 or 2008 (if i can remember) and there was no announcements. They may just put up 180th Bound (2).

Not true just look here

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32304

I just realized something: this service change is essentially the (5) via 7th Ave to South Ferry and the (2) via Lexington Ave. I assume this will be in place because Dyre Av to South Ferry is almost the same distance as Dyre Av to Bowling Green as well as keep operating costs down. During those weekends, those (5)s will be using (2) line equipment and crews and vice-versa for the (2)s. Also, instead of running two shuttles (Dyre Ave and Flatbush to Atlantic Avs) as they have done, they can run through service to Flatbush Av during the overnight hours as well as service from Dyre to Manhattan. Interestingly, this can be seen as a temporary service improvement since for those three weekends, riders won't have to take three different trains to get to Manhattan.

Interesting. they usually favor the outer full time branch line as defining the route marker, and are willing to swap the trunk routes.

I always thought it would be better to keep the lines on the trunks, and swap the outer routes, but figured they probably did it the other way for familiarity of the routes in the home communities rather than the CBD. So I'm surprised they did it this way for a change. Probably should have done it this way during the Lenox rehab.

So right after two weeks of the shuttle bus, we're gonna be having three weeks of the (5) train.

But that's OK, it's gonna be pretty cool having the (5) back on Weekends. I do wonder if the (MTA) really will run through (5) service at night or if they're just gonna run the shuttles again.

Also, lance has a point: the (5) this weekend is just the (2) via Lexington Av, so why not label it as such? Geez.

Guest lance25

People are morons. They won't understand why the (2) is running on Lexington Ave or the (5) to South Ferry via 7th Ave, even though the (2)/(5) flip-flop occurs so often it might as well be in the schedule. These folks will let several (2)s on Lexington or (5)s on 7th roll past simply because it's not the train they're looking for, even if it's going exactly where they need to go. They'll probably understand extending the (5) to Brooklyn to replace the (2) though, even at the expense of north WPR or Dyre riders.

Guest lance25

Nope. The (5) will be running to 241 St.

(2) trains operate on the (5) line between Dyre Av and E 180 St, then resume normal service through 34 St-Penn Station. After 34 St, (2) trains run local through Chambers St, then continue via the (1) line to South Ferry, the last stop.

(5) trains operate via the (2) line from Wakefield-241 St to E 180 St, then resume regular service through Bowling Green. (5) trains are also extended to Flatbush Av to replace (2) trains in Brooklyn.

Transit folks who have an understanding of transit history WILL KNOW that sending #2 trains is Dyre Avenue is not some strange never occurring event, but the actual pattern of the #2 train in the late 1950's and early 1960's when the Dyre Avenue was first connected to the White Plains Road line.

Transit folks who have any understanding of transit history WILL KNOW that having #5 trains traveling to/from 241st Street-WPR is not some strange never occuring event, but is a return to the actual pattern of #5 trains prior to 1965 when the #5 was the basic all-time everyday service on the WPR line for decades. This has also been a rush hour pattern of the #5 train for more a decade now, except for one station.

Having #2 trains from the westside traveling to/from South Ferry was a pattern of weekend #2 service.

This is an interesting but predictable G.O.

Mike

Archived