68th Street Rehab (NIMBYism at its Finest)

Guest Lance

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hilarious that you care so much about a rapid transit system that you so vehemently hate.

Now now, those are strong words, but yeah, I actually just finished planning my morning/afternoon tomorrow in the city tomorrow and it certainly doesn't involve any subways. ;) lol Taking car service to the X10 or X17 and then going to Plein Sud for breakfast over in Tribeca and then I guess I'll catch a cab up to Bloomingdales so I can pick up some more dress shirts and jackets and such.

My only problem is I want to pick up a bottle of wine over at Astor Wines by Lafayette, which is back Downtown and then go crosstown to the Chelsea market to Buon Italia for some tasty imports, so I may do a few trips on the bus. Oddly enough I prefer to ride the bus in the city as opposed to those small taxis, but on Staten Island it's the reverse especially since I can get those roomy black Lincolns :cool:, but if I'm pushed for time then I may just get taxis because I want to be back home to watch the hockey games tomorrow night. :cool: I'm already going to miss the Wild/Canucks and Predators/Flames games tomorrow at 16:00. :mad: However, I can watch some of those games on my Thunberbolt but still. It's better on the flat screen at home w/food and wine and such. The 19:00 and 22:00 games I'll be watching though for sure. :cool:

Get it right people: Its all about the property values! If they go down, their wealth goes down. It's really that simple.

I thought that having easier access to the subway raises property values by having more direct access to the rest of the city, in the long run, no? Some of these answers here are absurd, some are not. Some are valid concerns, some are not. Lately, those of you who opposed the project have asked for the exit to be moved from 69th to 67th- and then what- to have there residents there complain? As some people have sated, the platform is too short for it to be built @ 67th, so there is no other choice then 69th, like it or not. And again, nothing in life is ever free- there is always a price tag attached to it. Do you think the subway was built in a day-no. Entire streets were ripped up, tunned, blow-up, cut, and then covered. You want trasnit service, well, ya gotta work for it, ya gotta be patient for it- the subway was not built in a day. SAS is a pain in the @ss right now, for example, but once it's done, values there will rise. Same thing here, once the exit is built, won't property values rise?

I think the property values in that area are high enough for most people to not be able to afford even with 20 subway entrances there..

That's not the point though and in any event, there are plenty of folks that can afford to live there, so it's a question of does one let their property value go down for a subway entrance? If it were me and I wanted to protect my assets (and yes a house/apartment is most certainly an asset) I would do everything possible to see that my assets were sustained accordingly. The amount of ones' assets is immaterial because each person has different needs and expenses and so maybe ones' apartment can fetch $6 million on the open market, but maybe they're just keep afloat with their expenses and such running their businesses, etc. so losing $1 million may seem like nothing, but in reality it is indeed a big deal.

Guest lance25

Neither 69th Street, nor the Upper East Side as a whole will see a significant drop, if any, in their property values because of a new subway entrance on a particular street corner. To believe otherwise is simply ridiculous as well as inconsiderate to the thousands of riders who have to put with the current inadequate exits in that station. They aren't building a new subway line on 69th Street. If residents lose their houses or businesses go under because of the necessary construction, they were probably bound to happen either way.

Heres the deal, the 68th St - Hunter College station is a NIGHTMARE most of the time. It's always packed down there, not just during the rush hours. I've used that station a number of times and it gets crowded there real quick. If there is a way to help with the passenger load down there, then it needs to be explored and done soon and if they can really add an elevator there, then that's even better for the neighborhood.

As for the neighborhood, one thing that I know about the subway is that as it it for the neighborhood that it serves, it's as much for the city as a whole, as it is for the area the subway line goes to. I won't say that it won't hurt the block, from what I remember there isn't much to 69th St and Lexington but I do know that it will help more than hurt. It's a pro vs con thing and I think that the pros will outweigh the cons. Now as a conductor, it may make shutting down the train a bit harder but again, if there is a way to make the subway any easier to get to, then it needs to happen.

Neither 69th Street, nor the Upper East Side as a whole will see a significant drop, if any, in their property values because of a new subway entrance on a particular street corner. To believe otherwise is simply ridiculous as well as inconsiderate to the thousands of riders who have to put with the current inadequate exits in that station. They aren't building a new subway line on 69th Street. If residents lose their houses or businesses go under because of the necessary construction, they were probably bound to happen either way.

As said upthread, in all likelihood, a lot of these people who are protesting this are in my opinion likely older and more concerned about their legacies at this point more than what is actually the greater good. Some of them likely are concerned of how they will be looked at after they're gone by other family members and others who are much more concerned about vanity and material things than what actually is needed for the masses.

They also likely if so are people who still think of the subway system as it was 30-40 years ago, when it was in much worse shape and crime was a real issue.

As said upthread, in all likelihood, a lot of these people who are protesting this are in my opinion likely older and more concerned about their legacies at this point more than what is actually the greater good. Some of them likely are concerned of how they will be looked at after they're gone by other family members and others who are much more concerned about vanity and material things than what actually is needed for the masses.

They also likely if so are people who still think of the subway system as it was 30-40 years ago, when it was in much worse shape and crime was a real issue.

Having concerns about their property values and legitimate spikes in crime are most certainly NOT vanity issues. If this were a middle class neighborhood and folks were concerned about their property values, I doubt we would hear any of this talk about drops in property values not being an issue.

As for the crime issue, it is most certainly an issue. Crime is on the rise in the city and to state that is not a problem is most certainly irrational and outlandish.

Having concerns about their property values and legitimate spikes in crime are most certainly NOT vanity issues. If this were a middle class neighborhood and folks were concerned about their property values, I doubt we would hear any of this talk about drops in property values not being an issue.

As for the crime issue, it is most certainly an issue. Crime is on the rise in the city and to state that is not a problem is most certainly irrational and outlandish.

Crime may be going up but what does this have to do with buliding a subway entrance/exit for thousands of commuters everyday?

Well I don't find it valid. Crime can happen on the same corner where the entrance is to be put in NOW so what difference does it make?

None to you and me since neither of us live there. I think it's very easy to dismiss concerns that others have when we don't live there. The consensus is that because these folks are more affluent that they can suffer because they've got life "great" because of their wealth, but I don't think that should have any bearing on their complaints and I applaud them for fighting for their concerns. :cool: :tup::tup:

None to you and me since neither of us live there. I think it's very easy to dismiss concerns that others have when we don't live there. The consensus is that because these folks are more affluent that they can suffer because they've got life "great" because of their wealth, but I don't think that should have any bearing on their complaints and I applaud them for fighting for their concerns. :cool: :tup::tup:

I will admit to not having read the entire thread but I've read a lot of it and I'm not getting that folks here think the residents should suffer. It's all about making that subway station easier to use. Yes it would be an inconvience for the people who either live or work in the area but it won't be long. Sure you can listen to what they (the residents) have to say but in the end, it's all about what will work and if building an entrance/exit works, then they will have to deal with it. Sucks but what else can you do? It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

"It would ruin the fabric of the neighborhood" sounds like a great reason to exclude the disabled from having access to the subway!

And where is the evidence that crime may be an issue? Sounds more like an excuse to me than a valid complaint.

You guys are talking as if nothing at all matters because you don't live anywhere near there, so let me voice my opinion as an Upper East Sider.

First, let me just do a quick list:

Pros

- Save some commuters 30 seconds to 1 minute of time

- 68th Street entrance will be less crowded

Cons

- Increase in homeless population on 69th Street (Yes, even if the cops do kick them away they'll just come back. Look at the 77th Street entrance)

- Increase in the people on 69th Street

- People blocking the sidewalk trying to get in

- Increase in crime (It's much easier to snatch a purse and run down the stairs than to snatch a purse, run a block, and then down the stairs without getting noticed)

- Property values decrease from the reasons listed above

... and lets not forget about the construction

- Years of sidewalk closures and interference with the road

- Noisy

- Dusty

- Millions of our tax dollars spent on this (The MTA always finds a way to make it cost so damn much)

So, is all of that worth it just to save commuters not even a minute of their time? It's not so much that they oppose a new station, but the construction will go on for years because the MTA is so inefficient and after it's built it will lower their quality of life and the peacefulness of their block.

I believe that the pros are far outweighed by the cons.

Archived