68th Street Rehab (NIMBYism at its Finest)

Guest Lance

Why should these people have to leave their community just because the (MTA) wants to ram this project into their neighborhood? Please... Don't be ridiculous. It's their community and they are the ones that will have to put up with the riff raff from this subway entrance.

Do you own a business? No Do you live in Manhattan? No Do you really care about these people? No. So please keep your comments to yourself.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's silly to assume that a new subway entrance creates crime.

Let's say that a criminal wants to mug a woman on 69th Street. He will do so, regardless of whether or not he has to run half a block or one block. Nothing will stop him from his goal. What about getaway vehicles? A subway is not the only great escape from a crime.

I believe that the pros of the entrance such as making it ADA accessible, and managing the crowds will be more beneficial rather than detrimental. For example, with two entrances, crowds can dissipate as opposed to gathering (rather dangerously) around one area.

Let's say that a criminal wants to mug a woman on 69th Street. He will do so, regardless of whether or not he has to run half a block or one block. Nothing will stop him from his goal. What about getaway vehicles? A subway is not the only great escape from a crime.

I believe that the pros of the entrance such as making it ADA accessible, and managing the crowds will be more beneficial rather than detrimental. For example, with two entrances, crowds can dissipate as opposed to gathering (rather dangerously) around one area.

Suppose this was not the MTA, a horrible evil public benefit corporation doing this to help the public and make their lives easier, but let's say it was a private for-profit corporation like a bank or a law office or a fancy high-end store (or even a private school) opening up another branch on 69th Street...would the opposition be the same?

Oh yes, because a private school will increase the homeless population right?

Suppose this was not the MTA, a horrible evil public benefit corporation doing this to help the public and make their lives easier, but let's say it was a private for-profit corporation like a bank or a law office or a fancy high-end store (or even a private school) opening up another branch on 69th Street...would the opposition be the same?

Of course..a homeless guy could sleep in a hidden pocket or behind a dumpster of the school building...plus crime would definitely increase since criminals would know there are little rich 9 year old kids parading around in their iphones and $3000 laptops around there..

Of course..a homeless guy could sleep in a hidden pocket or behind a dumpster of the school building...plus crime would definitely increase since criminals would know there are little rich 9 year old kids parading around in their iphones and $3000 laptops around there..

The problem with the complaints are- They are entirely absurd. Subway entrances DO NOT INCREASE CRIME. They decrease crime. the presence of more people prevent crimes from occurring. Crimes occur in desolate areas.

What the entrance WILL do is help reduce crowding at 68th street. the crowding at 68th Street has gotten so bad it is dangerous. installing this entrance is a safety issue.

( Disclaimer: I do not hate rich people. )

Like I said, if they are that obsessed with not wanting an entrance at 69th street, build it one block north at 70th if possible. That would also put it one block closer to the 72nd street crosstown, so it's far from the worst scenario out there.

The problem with the complaints are- They are entirely absurd. Subway entrances DO NOT INCREASE CRIME. They decrease crime. the presence of more people prevent crimes from occurring. Crimes occur in desolate areas.

What the entrance WILL do is help reduce crowding at 68th street. the crowding at 68th Street has gotten so bad it is dangerous. installing this entrance is a safety issue.

( Disclaimer: I do not hate rich people. )

Like I said, if they are that obsessed with not wanting an entrance at 69th street, build it one block north at 70th if possible. That would also put it one block closer to the 72nd street crosstown, so it's far from the worst scenario out there.

Do you own a business? No Do you live in Manhattan? No Do you really care about these people? No. So please keep your comments to yourself.

When did I care about or ask for your for two cents on my comments? I sure as heck didn't. I didn't know you regulated when I'm allowed to speak and just to be clear you DON'T. Oh and what do you know about a business? Go open the dictionary and see if you can find it, since I'm sure you needed assistance in even knowing how to spell the word. For your information, I run an entire department AND SET THE PRICE for every project that comes to my department. I oversee all finances as well down to the very last cent and every invoice has to be approved by ME or isn't paid, so you should speak about something that you know about, rather than trying to tell me something that you know nothing about... Little man. Go finish high school first and then maybe we can talk.

When did I care about or ask for your for two cents on my comments? I sure as heck didn't. I didn't know you regulated when I'm allowed to speak and just to be clear you DON'T. Oh and what do you know about a business? Go open the dictionary and see if you can find it, since I'm sure you needed assistance in even knowing how to spell the word. For your information, I run an entire department AND SET THE PRICE for every project that comes to my department. I oversee all finances as well down to the very last cent and every invoice has to be approved by ME or isn't paid, so you should speak about something that you know about, rather than trying to tell me something that you know nothing about... Little man. Go finish high school first and then maybe we can talk.

Obviously some people in this thread have very limited reading and comprehension skills.

So let me get this straight...

Lets say that there was a station in Brooklyn that the MTA decided to propose a new entrance for, but the locals were against it. This community is made up of mainly lower class people of minority backgrounds, and they say that they don't want homeless people to show up on their block.

Now same situation, but on now there's a station in Manhattan on the Upper East Side that the MTA decided to propose a new entrance for, but the locals are against it. The community is made up of mainly upper class whites, and they say that they don't want people to show up on their block.

Besides for the locals living in the neighborhood those two situations are identical, but I guarantee you that you're feeling sympathy for the people in my first example and aren't calling them elitist bastards for not wanting the homeless population to increase.

I find it ridiculous how you're saying that the arguments of the residents of 69th Street are unwarranted and invalid solely on the fact that they're rich white people.

Let's try this again.

What I am saying is that in the real world, in the exact scenario described above, the mostly white, mostly rich people will have their concerns addressed while the Brooklyn neighborhood will not.

That's not right. It's a double standard and it implies that the rich have more value than any other human being which they most certainly do not.

Secondly, what I am saying, is that this is actually an entirely more extreme case (and worse!) These people are highly privileged elitist pricks who do not take the subway, and WHO DO NOT REPRESENT THE MAJORITY INTEREST OF THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD AT ALL.

Take some demographics...you will find that they are all OLD, WHITE, WEALTHY WOMEN.

But I guess since they have money (which they probably didn't even make!) it makes sense to punish the entire neighborhood, which would benefit from a subway entrance, because of the whining of a few rich old bitties.

The "community" is made up a lot more than just these old, white, upper class white old ladies, but I guess no one else matters since the rich people say that they don't want people to show up on their block.

Never mind that these are invalid arguments because there is no evidence to link an additional subway entrance to an existing station to crime, or to increased homeless use of the station...which are the two main arguments they are using. The only other argument I hear coming from them is the "these buildings are landmarked, but the block isn't...which means the block can be changed...but...it shouldn't be!" - well then the battle they should be fighting is about landmarking the block, which obviously wasn't a concern before these people felt their white wealthy world getting a little smaller due to their own prejudices and fears about something that benefits the neighborhood they live in as a whole.

Obviously some people in this thread have very limited reading and comprehension skills.

So let me get this straight...

Lets say that there was a station in Brooklyn that the MTA decided to propose a new entrance for, but the locals were against it. This community is made up of mainly lower class people of minority backgrounds, and they say that they don't want homeless people to show up on their block.

Now same situation, but on now there's a station in Manhattan on the Upper East Side that the MTA decided to propose a new entrance for, but the locals are against it. The community is made up of mainly upper class whites, and they say that they don't want people to show up on their block.

Besides for the locals living in the neighborhood those two situations are identical, but I guarantee you that you're feeling sympathy for the people in my first example and aren't calling them elitist bastards for not wanting the homeless population to increase.

I find it ridiculous how you're saying that the arguments of the residents of 69th Street are unwarranted and invalid solely on the fact that they're rich white people.

Let's try this again.

What I am saying is that in the real world, in the exact scenario described above, the mostly white, mostly rich people will have their concerns addressed while the Brooklyn neighborhood will not.

That's not right. It's a double standard and it implies that the rich have more value than any other human being which they most certainly do not.

Secondly, what I am saying, is that this is actually an entirely more extreme case (and worse!) These people are highly privileged elitist pricks who do not take the subway, and WHO DO NOT REPRESENT THE MAJORITY INTEREST OF THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD AT ALL.

Take some demographics...you will find that they are all OLD, WHITE, WEALTHY WOMEN.

But I guess since they have money (which they probably didn't even make!) it makes sense to punish the entire neighborhood, which would benefit from a subway entrance, because of the whining of a few rich old bitties.

The "community" is made up a lot more than just these old, white, upper class white old ladies, but I guess no one else matters since the rich people say that they don't want people to show up on their block.

Never mind that these are invalid arguments because there is no evidence to link an additional subway entrance to an existing station to crime, or to increased homeless use of the station...which are the two main arguments they are using. The only other argument I hear coming from them is the "these buildings are landmarked, but the block isn't...which means the block can be changed...but...it shouldn't be!" - well then the battle they should be fighting is about landmarking the block, which obviously wasn't a concern before these people felt their white wealthy world getting a little smaller due to their own prejudices and fears about something that benefits the neighborhood they live in as a whole.

Well I guess the only legitimate point the whiners actually can make you've brought up...if a handicapped person were to decide to become a mugger he could escape into the subway with a speedy wheelchair and an ADA elevator to board the next train! HAHAHA

Well I guess the only legitimate point the whiners actually can make you've brought up...if a handicapped person were to decide to become a mugger he could escape into the subway with a speedy wheelchair and an ADA elevator to board the next train! HAHAHA

Let's try this again.

Oh so now it's a crime to be a wealthy old white woman? :P Your stereotyping is really unbelievable. :eek: The neighborhood that I'm moving to has plenty of old white wealthy ladies up in Riverdale and I suppose they're elitists too for fighting to protect the charm of the area and fighting over development of the area and fighting to keep the great oasis that is Riverdale, with its superb express bus and MetroNorth service and low crime rates.

Let's try this again.

Oh so now it's a crime to be a wealthy old white woman? :P Your stereotyping is really unbelievable. :eek: The neighborhood that I'm moving to has plenty of old white wealthy ladies up in Riverdale and I suppose they're elitists too for fighting to protect the charm of the area and fighting over development of the area and fighting to keep the great oasis that is Riverdale, with its superb express bus and MetroNorth service and low crime rates.

Archived