68th Street Rehab (NIMBYism at its Finest)

Guest Lance

Riverdale (like Williamsburg) was one of those areas that shot through the roof during the boom. For anything decent up there though, its still 500k, and there are a great many private schools up there for additional cost. When it comes to free and high quality schooling without the red tape, Pelham/Pelham Manor has seemed to be the best bet, along with decent green space and a house (and not a coop or condo like in Riverdale). What I noticed about a great many parts of the city is that the income levels have not risen, but property levels have shot through the roof, preventing movement from neighborhood to neighborhood. Upgrades are difficult and expensive. As far as median income goes, Pelham is similar, we wonder as well how people only making 50-75k can afford houses selling for 600-900k. We looked closer, and we saw that these same houses sold for much more affordable middle class 300s and 400s 5-15 years ago.

The thing about Riverdale is that many Manhattanites have moved there to escape the high rents in the city or to move to a more suburban setting that still has a somewhat urbanness to it. Riverdale is so desirable because it offers that suburbanness but also has the upscale side to it and with the express buses and MetroNorth there it is really appealing for some like myself who does not want to commute via the filthy subway to and from work.

Could you imagine the spike in crime though if you had subways in these affluent areas? That's why these folks don't want the subway entrance on 69th street and I don't blame them. Anyone thinking otherwise is clearly smoking something and is trying to be naïve about the situation.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing about Riverdale is that many Manhattanites have moved there to escape the high rents in the city or to move to a more suburban setting that still has a somewhat urbanness to it. Riverdale is so desirable because it offers that suburbanness but also has the upscale side to it and with the express buses and MetroNorth there it is really appealing for some like myself who does not want to commute via the filthy subway to and from work.

Could you imagine the spike in crime though if you had subways in these affluent areas? That's why these folks don't want the subway entrance on 69th street and I don't blame them. Anyone thinking otherwise is clearly smoking something and is trying to be naïve about the situation.

Because there's so much crime around places like Jamaica Center, Chambers Street on the Nassau Street Line, and on the Jamaica Line. Like there wasn't any before there were lines built and there wasn't an increase in any after. So adamant to defend rich elitist NIMBYs but always caught up whenever something happens to the buses or Staten Island, which was offered rail links in the past and never wanted them, and now your officials want that tunnel in Bay Ridge built, or the NSL rebuilt. No one knows what the hell you want.

Because there's so much crime around places like Jamaica Center, Chambers Street on the Nassau Street Line, and on the Jamaica Line. Like there wasn't any before there were lines built and there wasn't an increase in any after. So adamant to defend rich elitist NIMBYs but always caught up whenever something happens to the buses or Staten Island, which was offered rail links in the past and never wanted them, and now your officials want that tunnel in Bay Ridge built, or the NSL rebuilt. No one knows what the hell you want.

Well a light rail would be okay, but NO subway. Light rails are still costly to ride so there wouldn't be any riff raff from them. Same thing with MetroNorth and LIRR. They're pricey so you won't have bums and such hanging out, but the subway is another story. With a turnstile hop you can live in the subway for months if you so pleased before coming out. Scary thought, but true. :eek: Me personally I would have less light rails and more express buses on Staten Island and just raise the base fare on them to $7.00, this way you can eliminate the occasional riff raff that comes on particularly on the weekends. Those folks belong on the local bus with that friggin' noise, not on our express buses. What's worse is they usually leave a mess on the express bus to boot. :mad: This guy got on the X10 last Saturday yelling on his cell phone like a retard or something. The whole bus just wanted him to shut up. He got off over on Targee Street (must be one of those project folks from Park Hill or whatever they call that area).

Areas with low crime can draw riff raff from the outside when you have new entrances and such. Just look at the SIR and how many residents in the affluent parts of the South Shore are complaining about these thugs using the SIR train to terrorize them down there, robbing folks and such and then escaping back on the SIR since most of it is free. :tdown: Terrible idea.

In Queens: Astoria, Bayside, Whitestone, parts of Flushing, Jamaica Estates, and basically anything east of the Clearview lol.

Not going to go through all of them, just a few.

Astoria has subway service. In fact, the poorest part of Astoria is by the waterfront, where there's no subway service.

But your other examples are good.

What's I find interesting about Riverdale is while it can be pricey, it's not that pricey, especially with a very poor area like Kingsbridge which is south of it.

Kingsbridge isn't that poor. You're acting like it's the South Bronx or something.

Because there's so much crime around places like Jamaica Center, Chambers Street on the Nassau Street Line, and on the Jamaica Line. Like there wasn't any before there were lines built and there wasn't an increase in any after.

Jamaica can be sketchy after dark, as can a lot of the areas along the Jamaica Line.

The line was built over 100 years ago, so you don't know what the area was like before the line was built (but it was probably suburban because it was so far from Downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan)

But in any case, the subway line is already passing through the area, and the UES is still very safe.

Well a light rail would be okay, but NO subway. Light rails are still costly to ride so there wouldn't be any riff raff from them. Same thing with MetroNorth and LIRR. They're pricey so you won't have bums and such hanging out, but the subway is another story. With a turnstile hop you can live in the subway for months if you so pleased before coming out. Scary thought, but true. :eek: Me personally I would have less light rails and more express buses on Staten Island and just raise the base fare on them to $7.00, this way you can eliminate the occasional riff raff that comes on particularly on the weekends. Those folks belong on the local bus with that friggin' noise, not on our express buses. What's worse is they usually leave a mess on the express bus to boot. :mad: This guy got on the X10 last Saturday yelling on his cell phone like a retard or something. The whole bus just wanted him to shut up. He got off over on Targee Street (must be one of those project folks from Park Hill or whatever they call that area).

Areas with low crime can draw riff raff from the outside when you have new entrances and such. Just look at the SIR and how many residents in the affluent parts of the South Shore are complaining about these thugs using the SIR train to terrorize them down there, robbing folks and such and then escaping back on the SIR since most of it is free. :tdown: Terrible idea.

What are you talking about? Light rails aren't any more costly to ride than subways. Where do you come up with that? The Newark Light Rail and RiverLine cost $1.50, whereas PATH costs $2.

And yeah, the South Shore is so dangerous. I'd be scared sh*tless to walk around the Huguenot station after dark. I'd rather walk through the projects in Brownsville than walk in the South Shore because of the SIR. (If there's anybody reading this who isn't from NYC, I'm being sarcastic)

And besides, the North Shore Rail Line (if it were connected to the rest of the subway) would just connect a series of (what you deem as) bad neighborhoods, so what's the difference?

I believe the old saying is" you can run but you can't hide". The undesireables can follow you wherever you go. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Yup forgot about those projects along the East River in Astoria, the one oxymoron in the whole group, I'm thinking more East Elmhurst I guess (that area east of Astoria going down toward LGA) or whatever that area is called.

Somewhere between "Steinway" and "Elmhurst" I would think. I never understood why that area was called Astoria because it would make it one heck of a big neighborhood.

Yeah, but projects that go over budget constantly are not selling points. This project should be done, but it should be done as cost effective as possible and I still think that they should explore all possible avenues before proceeding with an exit on 69th street. I've heard of all of the excuses why it just HAS to be there, but I don't buy it. Someone in their planning office needs to get a bit more creative before they ram this through on these residents who have lived in the neighborhood for years.

69th Street IS doing it as cost effective as possible. There are two streets that can be used. 68th, and 69th. Either you are full of it, or like our elected officials...you are as mentally retarded and incapable of speaking in anything other than platitudes which sound nice on the surface but mean nothing.

If you advocate building the new entrance somewhere besides 69th Street, you are speaking in favor of a significantly more expensive and therefore "over budget" way of doing things...costing the taxpayers money to benefit a few rich people who don't want to see their property values go down. Wouldn't be the first time taxpayer money was wasted to save the interests of the rich.

Yes, but something isn't always better than nothing.

Another platitude. All improvements are better than no improvements.

And you just have to include their social economic standing in every post don't you? LOL Talk about a class warfare inciter. I'm curious as to why you're not down there with occupy Wall Street? ;) *Coughs* [Hypocrite]... :P

Seems like the truth I speak seems to strike a nerve with some of the self-proclaimed "rich" on here. I must be hitting too close to home, no pun intended.

Are you serious? Money is money and some of these folks have worked damn hard to get their money and they have every right to fight to keep what is theirs. These people have lived on the Upper East Side for years and they should indeed fight to protect the character and charm of their neighborhood.

They can fight all they want but to give them their way is BS. "Money talks and BS walks" is basically your argument here, which I don't even need to refute because it stands as ridiculous on its own. No one has ANY right to keep what is theirs. People have the rights to LIFE, LIBERTY, and PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. Nowhere does it say people are entitled to PERPETUAL POSSESSION OF THAT WHICH THEY ALREADY POSSESS EXACTLY THE WAY IT IS.

This is not about the character and charm of their neighborhood. Razing Central Park to build a megamall would be a fight to protect the character and charm of the neighborhood. Putting three housing projects on York Avenue across from Sotheby's would be a fight to protect the character and charm of the neighborhood. Two subway entrances to an existing station has NOTHING to do with the character OR charm of their neigborhood, nor anyone else's.

Oh please. You are so full of it. This is not just a small dip in value due to the market. This is some outside source looking to build a monstrosity that could potentially destroy the neighborhood and have everlasting effects on housing prices there.

I'm full of it? I'm not the one claiming that two holes in the ground marked by staircases leading to something which already exists is going to destroy an entire neighborhood and turn it into a f*cking Otisville overnight.

Yeah, well try telling the folks in Brooklyn that their housing values don't matter. They fought that Nets plan tooth and nail to try to keep their neighborhood in tact.

Of course they did. Because that stadium is going to bring tons of unwanted vehicle traffic that Brooklyn is ill equipped to handle as it is. It is also going to bring in large chain businesses that will decimate some of Brooklyn's small businesses. That sort of thing actually CAN seriously harm a neighborhood. Additional subway entrances, on the other hand, are not going to have anywhere near that impact, even if *GASP* an overwhelming and unsightly 5 homeless people start laying around in that area.

Wow, snobbiness at it's finest right there. :tdown:

"not on our express busses"

Usually I wouldn't get anal about something like that, but come on. Its called MASS TRANSIT for a reason. You have no special right to ride it in peace just because you pay more.

Yes, it's for the masses and those masses should have consideration for everyone around them. Quite frankly I would raise the fares across the system and make it more expensive to weed out the hooligans. Let them walk to get to where they need to go and then maybe they'd appreciate the system better. The "Our" applies to those of us who respect the system, to which there are many of those. We pay our fare, don't leave a mess everywhere on the subway, bus or what have you and are considerate for others using the system, so yes it is "our" express buses.

Yesterday I was on the M3 coming back from Whole Foods and this black guy gets on and sits down and then proceeds to take up almost two seats with his dirty shoes up on the seats stretched out like he's at home or something! :mad: People couldn't even sit down because he was so inconsiderate and nasty. Your feet should not be on the seats. Nasty rude something.

Kingsbridge isn't that poor. You're acting like it's the South Bronx or something.

It certainly doesn't look that great and I certainly wouldn't live there. As far as I'm concerned most of the Bronx is like the South Bronx... Run down. Even the news admits that the Bronx is making a come back. This of course excludes the North West Bronx (i.e. Riverdale and its subsections (Fieldston, etc.)), the Country Club, Morris Park, Throgs Neck and parts of Woodlawn. The rest of it... Ugh... :eek:

What are you talking about? Light rails aren't any more costly to ride than subways. Where do you come up with that? The Newark Light Rail and RiverLine cost $1.50, whereas PATH costs $2.

Yeah well they have the feel of being expensive since they're mainly used by folks commuting to and from work; in other words, working class folks. :cool:

And yeah, the South Shore is so dangerous. I'd be scared sh*tless to walk around the Huguenot station after dark. I'd rather walk through the projects in Brownsville than walk in the South Shore because of the SIR. (If there's anybody reading this who isn't from NYC, I'm being sarcastic)

Oh please... You clearly misread my post. I said that folks from the affluent and VERY SAFE South Shore were complaining about the SIR because of hooligans coming from Park Hill and other run down project neighborhoods on the North East Shore and they want action and I agree. The South Shore is VERY SAFE. It's just those knuckleheads coming into the area that cause crime and such.

And besides, the North Shore Rail Line (if it were connected to the rest of the subway) would just connect a series of (what you deem as) bad neighborhoods, so what's the difference?

Well in that case it could be good. Make it pricey, knock down some of those damn projects and beautify the waterfront with high end condos and violà... You'd have a re-birth of those areas. ;)

Yes, it's for the masses and those masses should have consideration for everyone around them. Quite frankly I would raise the fares across the system and make it more expensive to weed out the hooligans. Let them walk to get to where they need to go and then maybe they'd appreciate the system better. The "Our" applies to those of us who respect the system, to which there are many of those. We pay our fare, don't leave a mess everywhere on the subway, bus or what have you and are considerate for others using the system, so yes it is "our" express buses.

Yesterday I was on the M3 coming back from Whole Foods and this black guy gets on and sits down and then proceeds to take up almost two seats with his dirty shoes up on the seats stretched out like he's at home or something! :mad: People couldn't even sit down because he was so inconsiderate and nasty. Your feet should not be on the seats. Nasty rude something.

You will NEVER get those so-called hooligans off the system, no matter how high you raise the fare of any transit system. And while trying to get them out of the area, you would make it twice as hard for the "working class" to get around because they have to spend twice as much to "get rid" of the hooligans. With your plan nobody wins at all.

You and Gorgor are in a fight to the death to win the title of "The Biggest Snob" in NYCTF. :tdown:

You will NEVER get those so-called hooligans off the system, no matter how high you raise the fare of any transit system. And while trying to get them out of the area, you would make it twice as hard for the "working class" to get around because they have to spend twice as much to "get rid" of the hooligans. With your plan nobody wins at all.

You and Gorgor are in a fight to the death to win the title of "The Biggest Snob" in NYCTF. :tdown:

Exactly Princelex!!! No thank you button though..

I find it funny that you're complaining. The extra monies could be used to give the union workers like yourself raises ;), buy new buses and so on. I don't see the problem with it. Either raise the fares or raise the fines for beating the fare and enforce it more. And for the record I am NOT a snob. I'm just in tune with reality.

I find it funny that you're complaining. The extra monies could be used to give the union workers like yourself raises ;), buy new buses and so on. I don't see the problem with it. Either raise the fares or raise the fines for beating the fare and enforce it more. And for the record I am NOT a snob. I'm just in tune with reality.

I don't mind the fines, because I won't be getting any in either way, but raising fares is definitely not going to solve any problems; e.g. farebeating, crime, trash. Why do honest people have to pay more for something they didn't and won't do? How do you expect full-time college students, like me, to pay for it?

Yup forgot about those projects along the East River in Astoria, the one oxymoron in the whole group, I'm thinking more East Elmhurst I guess (that area east of Astoria going down toward LGA) or whatever that area is called.

I think it's called something like "Astoria Heights" or something.

I believe the old saying is" you can run but you can't hide". The undesireables can follow you wherever you go. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Agreed. I'm sure there are plenty of "undesirables" on the Metro-North and LIRR.

Plenty of people pay their fare and then leave a mess. And I'm sure that guy who put his feet on the seat paid as well (and I have seen plenty of other people do that and they all paid).

And what about the people who are paying the fare and don't really care about who does what, as long as they get from point "A" to point "B"? I think it's our transit system as well.

1) It certainly doesn't look that great and I certainly wouldn't live there. As far as I'm concerned most of the Bronx is like the South Bronx... Run down. Even the news admits that the Bronx is making a come back. This of course excludes the North West Bronx (i.e. Riverdale and its subsections (Fieldston, etc.)), the Country Club, Morris Park, Throgs Neck and parts of Woodlawn. The rest of it... Ugh... :eek:

2) Yeah well they have the feel of being expensive since they're mainly used by folks commuting to and from work; in other words, working class folks. :cool:

3) Oh please... You clearly misread my post. I said that folks from the affluent and VERY SAFE South Shore were complaining about the SIR because of hooligans coming from Park Hill and other run down project neighborhoods on the North East Shore and they want action and I agree. The South Shore is VERY SAFE. It's just those knuckleheads coming into the area that cause crime and such.

4) Well in that case it could be good. Make it pricey, knock down some of those damn projects and beautify the waterfront with high end condos and violà... You'd have a re-birth of those areas. ;)

1) Visually, it doesn't look that bad. A lot of those apartments in Kingsbridge remind me of some of the apartment buildings in Brighton Beach (west of CI Avenue near the boardwalk and on the opposite side of Brighton Beach Avenue when you get east of the train). The only difference is that they aren't mostly White.

2) And you know that how? Neither of those lines passes through any particularly nice neighborhoods. I'm sure there are problems on those systems just like everywhere else.

3) You just said it. It's very safe, so what's the problem? An occasional incident happens in every neighborhood. This isn't out in the sticks somewhere: This is still NYC.

4) Except that those areas never died. Speaking as somebody who passes through Mariners' Harbor on his way home from school in Port Richmond.

I find it funny that you're complaining. The extra monies could be used to give the union workers like yourself raises :(, buy new buses and so on. I don't see the problem with it. Either raise the fares or raise the fines for beating the fare and enforce it more. And for the record I am NOT a snob. I'm just in tune with reality.

Yes, because everybody else is just begging for a fare hike, right? And everybody complains about "riff-raff" and "the subway's so dirty". This is NYC. What did you expect?

Agreed. I'm sure there are plenty of "undesirables" on the Metro-North and LIRR.

Yeah and that's why the fares should be raised on them. They can only afford so much. :cool:

Plenty of people pay their fare and then leave a mess. And I'm sure that guy who put his feet on the seat paid as well (and I have seen plenty of other people do that and they all paid).

Yeah and those people I would fine the **** out of. I said "our" referred to those of us who pay and don't leave a mess and have respect for the system.

And what about the people who are paying the fare and don't really care about who does what, as long as they get from point "A" to point "B"? I think it's our transit system as well.

Yeah well they exist too but that has nothing to do with having respect for the system. That's one reason why it is costing so much to replace buses and trains and such because everything gets torn down as soon as it is put in.

1) Visually, it doesn't look that bad. A lot of those apartments in Kingsbridge remind me of some of the apartment buildings in Brighton Beach (west of CI Avenue near the boardwalk and on the opposite side of Brighton Beach Avenue when you get east of the train). The only difference is that they aren't mostly White.

Oh please. I'm sorry but I beg to differ. Kingsbridge is run down and dirty looking from my observations and I wouldn't pay my worst enemy to live there.

2) And you know that how? Neither of those lines passes through any particularly nice neighborhoods. I'm sure there are problems on those systems just like everywhere else.

Yeah well that's always a problem. It's like some of the express buses that pass through crappy areas. That's the key thing. They should pass through and keep going. :P

3) You just said it. It's very safe, so what's the problem? An occasional incident happens in every neighborhood. This isn't out in the sticks somewhere: This is still NYC.

Oh please. You know what the problem is. Free rides on the SIR are causing these hooligans to come down to the South Shore and cause problems. They wouldn't be there if they had to pay a fare.

4) Except that those areas never died. Speaking as somebody who passes through Mariners' Harbor on his way home from school in Port Richmond.

LOL.... Who are you kidding? Most of Port Richmond died years ago and Mariners' Harbor??? Hmm... How many vacant storefronts are there on Forest Avenue? I think we have 1 or 2 at the most on Forest Avenue in West Brighton. Meanwhile there are quite a bit of vacant storefronts in that neck of the woods. Yeah like I said, tear down those projects, build some condos and violà... A re-birth. :cool:

Yes, because everybody else is just begging for a fare hike, right? And everybody complains about "riff-raff" and "the subway's so dirty". This is NYC. What did you expect?

Plenty of people complain about riff-raff. The problem is that many of them don't do so publicly. They may just move elsewhere were there's less of it.

I don't mind the fines, because I won't be getting any in either way, but raising fares is definitely not going to solve any problems; e.g. farebeating, crime, trash. Why do honest people have to pay more for something they didn't and won't do? How do you expect full-time college students, like me, to pay for it?

I see nothing wrong with raising the base fares. Raise the base fares and lower the weekly and monthly cards. Most New Yorkers buy unlimited cards anyway so it is not that big of a deal. How do I expect you to pay?? Hmm... Let's see I had several jobs when I was in college and maintained a 3.92 GPA and graduated Summa C u m Laude. Stop making excuses. :P

Guest lance25

I'm gonna take your last point there. The problem with your logic is that you see nothing wrong with raising fares. According to your many posts, you live quite comfortably and will probably easily be able to pay the higher fare. That's not the case for the vast majority of riders on the buses and subways. Also, there are probably a whole lot more people who buy pay-per-ride MetroCards than you think. The Unlimited MetroCard is only cost-beneficial if one is making several transfers along their route or making several trips throughout the day. Otherwise, the pay-per-ride is the better option, especially if one can't afford to shell out $100 at once.

Also, your claim that college kids can pay the increased fare because you did is simply ludicrous. For starters, you can't find a job anywhere. Unemployment rates for college students are through the roof. Secondly, you recently celebrated your 30th birthday, right? That means you were in college in the late '90s and early 2000s if my math is correct. At that time, the fare was what, $1.50? That's a big difference to today's $2.25 or even higher as you're suggesting.

And this is to get rid of the undesirables in the subway? Here's the problem with that - said undesirables are more likely to jump the turnstiles or use the emergency gate rather than pay the higher fare. So all you'd do is make it harder for honest, hard-working people to get to where they need to be. Good job there buddy. Not only will ridership drop because of that, but maintenance will also slow due to decreased income. And that means even dirtier stations, trains, buses, etc.

I'm gonna take your last point there. The problem with your logic is that you see nothing wrong with raising fares. According to your many posts, you live quite comfortably and will probably easily be able to pay the higher fare. That's not the case for the vast majority of riders on the buses and subways. Also, there are probably a whole lot more people who buy pay-per-ride MetroCards than you think. The Unlimited MetroCard is only cost-beneficial if one is making several transfers along their route or making several trips throughout the day. Otherwise, the pay-per-ride is the better option, especially if one can't afford to shell out $100 at once.

Also, your claim that college kids can pay the increased fare because you did is simply ludicrous. For starters, you can't find a job anywhere. Unemployment rates for college students are through the roof. Secondly, you recently celebrated your 30th birthday, right? That means you were in college in the late '90s and early 2000s if my math is correct. At that time, the fare was what, $1.50? That's a big difference to today's $2.25 or even higher as you're suggesting.

And this is to get rid of the undesirables in the subway? Here's the problem with that - said undesirables are more likely to jump the turnstiles or use the emergency gate rather than pay the higher fare. So all you'd do is make it harder for honest, hard-working people to get to where they need to be. Good job there buddy. Not only will ridership drop because of that, but maintenance will also slow due to decreased income. And that means even dirtier stations, trains, buses, etc.

And you solve that problem with more enforcement of the fare and higher fines for farebeating. Give folks who buy more fares more bonuses to offset the increases.

As for when I started college, I started when I was 17 in 1999 and finished up in the early 2000s. I took some time off to prepare for my study abroad and write the necessary proposals to get accepted and such and worked to save up money, so I finished up in 2004 instead of 2003.

Oh and this nonsense about can't find a job anywhere is just that. I don't see a shortage of folks filling up the fast food joints. I did all sorts of odd end jobs in college. I worked as a Spanish and Italian tutor, worked in my mail room and worked at the ice rink on the weekends as a skateguard and also worked security at the hockey games. I didn't cry and look for handouts. I also worked during my summers off doing sales over the phone. Hell my first job was when I was 15. I worked as a camp counselor. After that, I worked with the (MTA) for two summers doing a paid internship. Wha wha... The fare is too high. Wha wha :P My point is I had it tough too and I didn't make excuses. I worked hard and still work hard. I have NEVER looked for handouts. Sure there's a shortage of jobs for college grads, but there are always jobs for college students. I see plenty of college folks working in Whole Foods.

I see nothing wrong with raising the base fares. Raise the base fares and lower the weekly and monthly cards. Most New Yorkers buy unlimited cards anyway so it is not that big of a deal. How do I expect you to pay?? Hmm... Let's see I had several jobs when I was in college and maintained a 3.92 GPA and graduated Summa C u m Laude. Stop making excuses. :P

Several jobs, full time and 3.9 gpa!? for some reason I find it hard to believe, not unless you are a genious of some sort. Wel I am not You, you also most likely had a better background and financial abilities. Most likely didn't go to cuny and didn't solely rely on the financial aid, like some of us. I would love to hear some of part time options for 1 day of the week, the sole day I don't have school!

Raising base fare from 2.25 to what and lowering unlimited from 104 to what exactly? The chances of this happening are less likely then raising of both base and unlimited. Besides how does this suppose to fight whatever you want to fight?

Archived