Is this fare evasion?

dmouse

It technically is fare evasion (by law), but should it be counted as fare evasion, my answer to that is no. A lot of times a kid or even a young adult does not know any better. He/She should not be chastised for that reason. The MTA is not even making big money off this offense (an earlier post said that a case was dismissed involving a student who was using a school metro card). Furthermore a lot of these holidays are huge travel days for kids (kids who don't have a lot of money might I add) they need this metro-card. I blame the MTA for not creating a system that does not allow you to use the metro-card on non-school days, because at that point they are pretty much allowing behavior that they consider to be "scandalous." If the MTA wants to save money (which I do realize they need) they should collaborate with the Department of Education and find out what days students have off from school and program the metro-crd not to work on those days (different rules apply catholic for schools). Because at that point the MTA is "allowing" kids to ride free because they are not enforcing this rule fully.

I see both sides of the argument in this situation, the MTA needs money a should do something about this situation, and I see that a young person should not chastised for something that they believe to be a norm. The MTA should implement a system that does not allow young kids to use the metro-card on these dates, or they should leave them alone.

It technically is fare evasion (by law), but should it be counted as fare evasion, my answer to that is no. A lot of times a kid or even a young adult does not know any better. He/She should not be chastised for that reason. The MTA is not even making big money off this offense (an earlier post said that a case was dismissed involving a student who was using a school metro card). Furthermore a lot of these holidays are huge travel days for kids (kids who don't have a lot of money might I add) they need this metro-card. I blame the MTA for not creating a system that does not allow you to use the metro-card on non-school days, because at that point they are pretty much allowing behavior that they consider to be "scandalous." If the MTA wants to save money (which I do realize they need) they should collaborate with the Department of Education and find out what days students have off from school and program the metro-crd not to work on those days (different rules apply catholic for schools). Because at that point the MTA is "allowing" kids to ride free because they are not enforcing this rule fully.

I see both sides of the argument in this situation, the MTA needs money a should do something about this situation, and I see that a young person should not chastised for something that they believe to be a norm. The MTA should implement a system that does not allow young kids to use the metro-card on these dates, or they should leave them alone.

Now if only all that manpower could have gone to fighting actual crime...

Cops are assigned different posts. If you have a problem with what his jurisdiction is, then go take it up with the NYPD. Now if only people like him would have followed the law in the first place...

_______

I'm a student as well, but @DantheTrainman you make it seem that they are blatantly telling kids to "go use your cards but make sure cops aren't around when you do it." Most cops are lenient on these types of things. I've seen it happen many times. They would just get a short lecture and would end with a verbal warning. The cop must have been a real @ or your friend must have done something that the cop didn't like.

It does seem strict, but rules are rules. Imagine if you saw the same person do the SAME EXACT thing day after day saying OH I DIDN'T KNOW. Then you would understand why the cop did what he had to do.

Now if only all that manpower could have gone to fighting actual crime...

Cops are assigned different posts. If you have a problem with what his jurisdiction is, then go take it up with the NYPD. Now if only people like him would have followed the law in the first place...

_______

I'm a student as well, but @DantheTrainman you make it seem that they are blatantly telling kids to "go use your cards but make sure cops aren't around when you do it." Most cops are lenient on these types of things. I've seen it happen many times. They would just get a short lecture and would end with a verbal warning. The cop must have been a real @ or your friend must have done something that the cop didn't like.

It does seem strict, but rules are rules. Imagine if you saw the same person do the SAME EXACT thing day after day saying OH I DIDN'T KNOW. Then you would understand why the cop did what he had to do.

I got stopped once by an undercover cop at Fordham Road (4) and then he asked for my ID. I had my school ID and he asked for my student metrocard and he saw it had my name on it and he let me go. He did look confused afterwards because I was 17 at the time (senior in high school) and thought I was an older guy using someone else's metrocard.

It's happened to me frequently in the past. They, too, must have been thinking that I was an adult farebeater. It annoys me how the NYPD has a habit of profiling people.

I got stopped once by an undercover cop at Fordham Road (4) and then he asked for my ID. I had my school ID and he asked for my student metrocard and he saw it had my name on it and he let me go. He did look confused afterwards because I was 17 at the time (senior in high school) and thought I was an older guy using someone else's metrocard.

It's happened to me frequently in the past. They, too, must have been thinking that I was an adult farebeater. It annoys me how the NYPD has a habit of profiling people.

Bro:

I actually know how the cops stops people with the metrocards (when illegally used). Based on the turnstile coloring.. (When you swipe, a light turns on for the following)

Green / Blue = Employee / PD / FD

White = Student

Red = Senior/Disabled

None = Regular

How do i know? Ive seen people swipe the cards.

actually, its yellow, not white

Bro:

I actually know how the cops stops people with the metrocards (when illegally used). Based on the turnstile coloring.. (When you swipe, a light turns on for the following)

White = Student

Red = Senior/Disabled

None = Regular

actually, its yellow, not white

i remember i had to take train from school to home till a cop was at the train station. somehow i forgot to change the pass new color that month and cop caught it. he said where this month pas and i said oh no. what i did was i walk to another station that where this is no cop hop on train. as soon i got home i change the pass right away. from that day forward never had a problem. i think the Mta should log in the station that the home and school stop in the system with a timer on it. For example i need to leave at 730 am to enter the system by 735. If the computer see him normally swipe card at 735 am for first few days of school. that the time he allows to uses it when going toward school. Give or take a few minutes earlier if the student heard about train delays. When the school is over and the computer recognize it at 315 pm then that his lock up timer. If the person is athletic then he nee to do it at that time to lock it in. if the kid accidentally have detention that should be there tough luck. lol But at least you folks get the picture

i remember i had to take train from school to home till a cop was at the train station. somehow i forgot to change the pass new color that month and cop caught it. he said where this month pas and i said oh no. what i did was i walk to another station that where this is no cop hop on train. as soon i got home i change the pass right away. from that day forward never had a problem. i think the Mta should log in the station that the home and school stop in the system with a timer on it. For example i need to leave at 730 am to enter the system by 735. If the computer see him normally swipe card at 735 am for first few days of school. that the time he allows to uses it when going toward school. Give or take a few minutes earlier if the student heard about train delays. When the school is over and the computer recognize it at 315 pm then that his lock up timer. If the person is athletic then he nee to do it at that time to lock it in. if the kid accidentally have detention that should be there tough luck. lol But at least you folks get the picture

That would never work. It's way too complicated and would probably cost a ton of money to program the computers for it.

Think about it: Most people have multiple ways of getting to school, and while they may prefer one way, they may decide to take another way sometimes. For instance, somebody might take the B7 to school, but when they're in a hurry, they might run over to Utica Avenue for the B46 because it's more frequent.

Plus, the schedules vary too much. The student's regular day might be, say 08:00-14:00 like mine is. However, there are random times when they might have to come in early or late (say, for a certain test. For instance, the Regents all start at either 09:15 or 13:15). They might also have to stay late, say to study at the school library or go to tutoring.

And there are plenty of after-school programs that are school-related but not run by the DOE. For instance, I attend a program at the YMCA and also a College Now program at CSI. They're definitely school-related, but they're not listed as part of my regular school schedule.

So like I said, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Those who are implying that the MTA is somehow obligated to provide free service to students forgets that the city fails to meet its obligation to cover the costs of providing such a service.

True, but either way, they're funded by taxpayer dollars and it benefits the taxpayers overall to have the Student MetroCard program.

That would never work. It's way too complicated and would probably cost a ton of money to program the computers for it.

Never say never. The programming is nearly trivial because all the hardware and software elements needed to make it work are already in place. It's the red tape and meddling that makes it a hassle.

True, but either way, they're funded by taxpayer dollars and it benefits the taxpayers overall to have the Student MetroCard program.

That's not the point. They're underfunded by taxpayer dollars. If you were the head of a department in a company that doesn't value your contributions, cuts your funding, and makes your department finance itself while riding on its work, taking credit for it, and blaming mistakes on it, you'd call them out on that too.

Bro:

White = Student

Red = Senior/Disabled

None = Regular

PD? I don't think they USE MetroCards...

should have had the proper metrocard out well before he got to the turnstile. I mean come on, you know where you're going no matter how much of a hurry you're in. I always have my metrocard out before I even get to the turnstile, so I'm not fumbling around at the turnstile and holding people up who can readily swipe.

• 1 month later...
Police do use metrocards, how do you think they get in?

Also, they check employees and senior/disabled card holders also, to verify the person on the card is the one using it.

They "tin" their way in. NYPD ID gets you through the gate - no Metrocard used.

Archived